KenPom Rankings 2019-2020

73,056 Views | 346 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PurpleOut
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
#175! First time we've cracked the top half of KenPom this year.
SFAJack_76
cboothe09
Trying to average everyone out on the polls. There are only seven teams (Out of 43) ranked in all five polls. Here are there averages...
Gonzaga - 1.4
VCU - 7.6
Liberty - 7.8
Saint Mary's - 8
Northern Iowa - 8.2
Yale - 15.6
UNC Greensboro - 20
cboothe09
RichieVan
KenPom has the Jacks now at 163
SFA Jack Fanatic
RichieVan said:

KenPom has the Jacks now at 163
Wow. We actually improved after beating a winless HBU. At this rate, after we beat the rest of the sorry SLC we should be in the Top 10.
cboothe09
According to ESPN's Basketball Power Index, we are the underdogs against McNeese. I guess an upset win in Lake Charles should make for another big jump...ESPN is such a joke...

Predictor:
SFA - 40.2%
McNeese - 59.8%
Pilotgirl
WTH?!
SFASawmillGuy
Unless you're a big time program or a prime time game they're not gonna do any research at all into the matchup. It'll go by our rankings, our records, our home-away records, basically all of the irrelevant statistics, which in the end says SFA on the road against anyone might have trouble.
Pilotgirl
SFA_03 said:

Unless you're a big time program or a prime time game they're not gonna do any research at all into the matchup. It'll go by our rankings, our records, our home-away records, basically all of the irrelevant statistics, which in the end says SFA on the road against anyone might have trouble.

I was just reacting...I know the drill
SFASawmillGuy
Oh my reaction was similar. But in public.
wahlwesle
Maybe Vegas will project the same way ESPN does and we can all get rich.
Pilotgirl
wahlwesle said:

Maybe Vegas will project the same way ESPN does and we can all get rich.

Ohhh you are onto something!!
RichieVan
Up to 160 in KenPom
nacluth
Now officially top spot in SLC.
SFAJack_76
Way too early, but fun to look at. 12 seed
nacluth
That's interesting, but the play-in games have always been for the 11 seeds not the 12 seeds. But, I'll take a 12 seed any day.
SFASawmillGuy
I'll take a 12 seed but really don't like the 5 seeds they have here. I just want us to beat someone a little more high profile. You know?
sfa17
New NET has us up 4 spots to 70. Long Live NET. May your reign be bountiful
RichieVan
Up to 151 in KenPom
nacluth
68 NET.
BigJack85
Ken Pomeroy was on Wharton "Money Ball" Saturday as I drove to Santa Fe to ski. Listened for about 40 minutes. Absolutely fascinating the different angles he factors in.
SFAJack_76
NET is up to 59.
SFAJack_76
148 Kenpom
SFA Jack Fanatic
One ranking that's often overlooked is Torvik. Plenty of stats there, too (shooting percentages, rebounds, turnovers, etc.)

A neat thing about the Torvik ranking is that it's filterable, so you can see how SFA compares to all of the other teams in the SLC, or vs. all teams in the state of Texas, or vs. any other individual team in the country. Just for fun, I compared SFA vs. Duke.

According to Torvik, we're #10 in Texas. I don't buy that one! Anyway, it's a fun diversion that allows basketball junkies like me to escape into the world of MBB statistics for a while.

www.barttorvik.com

BTW, SFA comes in at #138 nationally in the Torvik. And their T-Ranketology has us as a 14 seed.
nacluth
Up to 142 pre-SELA game today. Also the first time we're the highest ranked SLC team this year.
RichieVan
Jacks sitting at 138. Sam at 131 after shooting 15 for 28 from three and 57% overall against McNeese last night.
SFAJack_76
Mid major poll has SFA at #8. Sam RV.

https://collegeinsider.com/mens-mid-major-top-25.php
SFAJack_76
Haslametrics has us at 70. Others of interest include Duke at 2, the "bad Big Ten team" Rutgers at 31, Alabama at 52, and Sam at 117.

http://haslametrics.com/ratings.ph

Interesting.

http://haslametrics.com/ratings2.php?yr=&tid=5257
nacluth
Drop to 58 from 53 despite double digit win against SELA. The unfortunate truth is that SLC wins aren't really going to help. How everyone else does will affect upward momentum more.
SFAJack_76
nacluth said:

Drop to 58 from 53 despite double digit win against SELA. The unfortunate truth is that SLC wins aren't really going to help. How everyone else does will affect upward momentum more.
Haslametrics has the #292 SLU game as our second worst performance of the season. (The nine point win against #302 Niagara is the worst.) We need to be dominating the bad SLC teams.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

Mid major poll has SFA at #8. Sam RV.

https://collegeinsider.com/mens-mid-major-top-25.php

Gonzaga is #1 in both the men's and women's Mid Major polls. That's where we want to be!
LUMBERJACK2005
Awesome, thanks for this!

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

One ranking that's often overlooked is Torvik. Plenty of stats there, too (shooting percentages, rebounds, turnovers, etc.)

A neat thing about the Torvik ranking is that it's filterable, so you can see how SFA compares to all of the other teams in the SLC, or vs. all teams in the state of Texas, or vs. any other individual team in the country. Just for fun, I compared SFA vs. Duke.

According to Torvik, we're #10 in Texas. I don't buy that one! Anyway, it's a fun diversion that allows basketball junkies like me to escape into the world of MBB statistics for a while.

www.barttorvik.com

BTW, SFA comes in at #138 nationally in the Torvik. And their T-Ranketology has us as a 14 seed.
SFASawmillGuy
SFAJack_76 said:

nacluth said:

Haslametrics has the #292 SLU game as our second worst performance of the season. (The nine point win against #302 Niagara is the worst.) We need to be dominating the bad SLC teams.

This. It's like in the BCS era teams fighting for their ranking. It's not just that we're winning, it's by how much. A 10 point win doesn't look good against a team like SELU. A 20-30 point win however makes us look stronger.
CertifiedAxeman98
SFA_03 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

nacluth said:

This. It's like in the BCS era teams fighting for their ranking. It's not just that we're winning, it's by how much. A 10 point win doesn't look good against a team like SELU. A 20-30 point win however makes us look stronger.
I am not sure what Kenpom does but the NET caps the win/loss at 10 so a win/loss by 10 or 30 are treated the same so anything over 10 doesn't impact ranking.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.