KenPom Rankings 2019-2020

72,036 Views | 346 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by PurpleOut
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'd donate to the WAC(not much, I'm broke) if they'd take the bottom feeders off our hands.
TallTexan
Here's an interesting data point.

104th team in a conference full of 300s.

nacluth
Jacks #20 in the Midmajor Madness Other 25. Last time they ranked the Jacks was right before the Corpus game.
MasterAxe
TallTexan said:

Here's an interesting data point.

104th team in a conference full of 300s.

I think we've actually moved up (to this point). I think last year the SLC ended as 2nd worst in country.
SFAJack_76
Different methods have the conferences ranked different. Haslametrics has the SLC the highest of those I have seen.
SFASawmillGuy
We have the best win in program history which is also one of the best wins in the nation and have one of the worst losses in the nation in the same season.
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

Jacks #20 in the Midmajor Madness Other 25. Last time they ranked the Jacks was right before the Corpus game.

You just HAD to point that out, didn't you, Ryan?
CertifiedAxeman98
Kenpom currently has the following:

SFA - 107
SLC - 28th conference (out of 32)
Kevon - 1st in the SLC all-kenpom
SLC only SFA is 1st in SLC offense and 2nd in Defense

SAM losing to UIW hurt us.
sfa17
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

Kenpom currently has the following:

SFA - 107
SLC - 28th conference (out of 32)
Kevon - 1st in the SLC all-kenpom
SLC only SFA is 1st in SLC offense and 2nd in Defense

28th is an improvement
SFAJack_76
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

I'm okay with that.
nacluth
Stays the same after the win...
CertifiedAxeman98
We must keep winning just to stay around where we are. The only thing that can help us move up in Kenpom, NET etc. is for the teams that we played in non-con to win and improve their rating or for teams we didn't play that are above us to lose.
SFA Jack Fanatic
We're 84 on NET. Actually fell one from 83 after last night's win vs. a weak AMCC.
CertifiedAxeman98
Both Alabama & Rutgers lost last night which hurt us.
RichieVan
ESPN's BPI has us at 129. Talk about disrespect.
sfa17
Kenpom History

Our highest rankings, also highest in SLC History

SFA #41 in 2016 28-6
SFA #51 in 2015 29-5
SFA #70 in 2014 32-3
SFA #70 in 2013 27-5

https://old.reddit.com/r/CollegeBasketball/comments/f3nmcd/kenpom_alltime_top_25_teams_by_conference_with/

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14tH_LcCrkE4x8f7VUS6326F-xO5O4cWWoZIjkxe6cpI/edit#gid=1306194166

first page is just a page of logos

SFASawmillGuy
Biggest thing there was we didn't have conference losses. If we didn't this year we're likely in the top 40 right now.
No-look
Rutgers and Alabama beat teams in the top 25 today. Maybe that will reflect in a tiny way?
sfa17
Some support from national journalists

SFAXE93
wahlwesle
If you read the comments on that tweet, we got a lot of support from others as well. Even a few Kentucky fans had our back.
SFAJack_76
Kind of an odd way to be in the national conversation, but I will take it. We just have to keep winning to prove the doubters wrong.
jboy93
SFAJack_76 said:

Kind of an odd way to be in the national conversation, but I will take it. We just have to keep winning to prove the doubters wrong.
Love to see those comments but you're right, we HAVE to pretty much win out to get 12 or so seeding in the tourney!
cboothe09
Up to 14 points in the AP Poll. Tied for #32 with Cincinnati

We are now receiving votes (2) in the USA Today Coaches Poll
sfa17
Ooh ohh We got support from the big guy upstairs

Ballwatch
sfa17 said:

Ooh ohh We got support from the big guy upstairs

Would be neat if he would change the CC loss to a 1 pt win, just to see how big a difference that would make in his rankings - an off the record analysis
sfa17
That would be nice, I guess at least top 50
nacluth
In the AP SFA>Illinois which is how it should be.
Ballwatch
nacluth said:

In the AP SFA>Illinois which is how it should be.

You know BU took note
sfa17

CertifiedAxeman98
SFA needed a win over Alabama and should not have lost to TAMU-CC if they wanted to be considered for an at large bid. The SLC is too weak to build a resume. You must build it in the non-con with our 3 quad 1 opportunities we only had the Duke win. Had we beat Alabama and not lost to TAMU-CC we would be or should be an at large bid. No one has beating Rutgers at home so that loss is acceptable. A win over Alabama would have helped to validate the Duke win. The only teams in the SLC over 250 Kenpom are SAM, Nicholls, and ACU. And winning by less than 10 to sub 250 Kenpom teams doesn't help the resume.

Assuming we can keep things going and win out in the regular season and the SLC tourney we will be in the 12-13 seed range. Honestly, if you want to end up in the Sweet 16 a 12-13 seed is a great place to start the tourney. We must win out and keep things rolling through the SLC tourney before anything like seeding matters.
PurpleOut
Staff
An at-large bid just isn't going to happen for any Southland team. As much as we want to beat Alabama to add that to our resume, it's just not reasonable for a team to nearly go undefeated in both OOC and Conference play.
nacluth
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

Assuming we can keep things going and win out in the regular season and the SLC tourney we will be in the 12-13 seed range. Honestly, if you want to end up in the Sweet 16 a 12-13 seed is a great place to start the tourney. We must win out and keep things rolling through the SLC tourney before anything like seeding matters.
This. I know it would be great recognition-wise to be considered for an at-large bid just in case, but realistically for success in the tourney, pulling a 12/13 seed for SFA is the best thing possible. It is the only way to assure avoiding a top 10 team in the first or second round, and statistically gives us the best shot of making the Sweet 16.

Of course you could do it like Walkup and Co. and knock off the #8 team in the nation in the first round to give you and easier second round opponent. But, I think we would all like to maximize our chances by playing a 13-20 ranked team first.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
SFASawmillGuy
I mean....it was reasonable for about 3 years straight.
PurpleOut
Staff
SFA_03 said:

I mean....it was reasonable for about 3 years straight.
I know we went undefeated in conference, but expecting that really isn't reasonable is what I'm saying. Those teams had we not won the conference tournament, would not have been in the conversation for an at-large. 2012-2013 we were 27-4 after losing to Northwestern State in the title game, and weren't in the conversation for an at-large.

Obviously the Duke win is spectacular and is pushing the conversation right now nationally, but the comment earlier was that we needed to beat both Bama and Corpus to be in consideration. While accurate, none of those teams you are referencing were close to being undefeated overall. Our best team we've had still lost to Baylor by 40+ in the same season. To think we can run the table for a full season when having to schedule tough road games against the likes of Duke, Kentucky, Alabama, Missouri, etc, and THEN go undefeated in conference play (especially in a longer conference season now) isn't reasonable is my point.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.