KenPom Rankings 2019-2020

72,776 Views | 346 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PurpleOut
SFA Jack Fanatic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Starting a new thread to follow the Jacks' slow climb up the KenPom ladder.

www.kenpom.com

_________

Through games of...

November 17... SFA # 268

The Jacks have a chance to do some heavy-duty climbing in the next eight days based on Strength of Schedule alone when they face #80 Rutgers and #4 Duke. A win against Rutgers (very doable) and even a close game (or, dare I say, a win??) vs. Duke would provide a major pop.
RichieVan
This early in the season, KenPom is extremely unreliable, since the starting point for every team is, essentially, based on last year's finish.
Jacks haven't played any world beaters, but barely move up when they play a team 35 spots above them (Drexel). Meanwhile, a team like Nebraska, which lost to #185 Southern Utah and #265 UC Riverside and beats #213 South Dakota State is #130. They moved up to #130 after beating SD State from #136.
KenPom becomes more relevant during conference season when the non-conference action is finished.
Fanatic is right, just playing Rutgers and Duke should improve our lot, and quite a bit if we beat one of them, although Evansville sits at #131 after beating #5 Kentucky.
SFA Jack Fanatic
________

Through games of November 24...

After a relatively close game at Rutgers, SFA climbs a whole 5 spots, checking in at #263. Duke is at #2 and Arkansas State at #252.
No-look
After we beat Duke ours will soar!
CertifiedAxeman98
We move to 222 in Kenpom a 40point jump.

We started the year around 300 in Kenpom and had been slowly rising. At the beginning of the season we were projected as a 16-15 overall & 10-10 conf. team. We are projected as a 21-10 & 13-7 team.

I expect as last year get phased out of his ranking we should move up more. This is a completely different team from last year.
sfa17
I read online that that is the biggest 1 game jump on kenpom
nacluth
Up 16 to 206 after a pretty dominant win at Ark. State.
SFAJack_76
nacluth said:

Up 16 to 206 after a pretty dominant win at Ark. State.
3-4 Alabama at 82.
cboothe09
Haslametrics has us #65 and Alabama #123...Small sample size still, so expect a lot of jumps until we get some more games under our belt...
CertifiedAxeman98
We move to 203 in Kenpom, we started the year around 300 in Kenpom

At the beginning of the season we were projected as a 16-15 overall & 10-10 conf. team. We are now projected as a 23-8 & 14-6 team.
RichieVan
Jacks are #107 in the Massey Ratings and #100 in Sagarin
aquavelvis
Jacks are 27 at RealtimeRPI.com, which it would seem presents a scenario as optimistic as Kenpom's is skeptical. Right now I'll settle for the midpoint of the two
Scott Taylor
SFA Jack Fanatic
Jacks move up a tiny bit to 201. I assume it was because of Duke's win over Michigan State.
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Jacks move up a tiny bit to 201. I assume it was because of Duke's win over Michigan State.
And down to 70 on RealtimeRPI.com. Lots of movement this early in the season. Fun to look at, but essentially meaningless.

Pilotgirl
190 on kenpom today....Hey, we broke into the 100s
SFA Jack Fanatic
As of today (12/12), Jacks are at # 184.

ULM is at # 264. They lost to Grambling last night at home, 66-61. Grambling outrebounded ULM 36-28 and outscored them 38-20 in the paint. That bodes well for the Jacks.
wahlwesle
Any update on the rest of the SLC?
cboothe09
#154 Sam Houston
#184 SFA
#222 Nicholls
#223 Lamar
#280 New Orleans
#284 Abilene Christian
#285 McNeese
#297 Central Arkansas
#305 Texas A&M Corpus Christi
#311 Houston Baptist
#329 Southeastern Louisiana
#345 Northwestern State
#348 Incarnate Word

Pilotgirl
Wow. We need to blast thru conference games.
CertifiedAxeman98
Currently at 184 in Kenpom, We started the year around 300 in Kenpom. The Alabama game was a missed opportunity for some real movement and a potential for a seed or 2 bump. As we continue to get closer to mid January, preseason rankings continue to burn off giving us a lift in our Kenpom ranking.

At the beginning of the season we were projected as a 16-15 overall & 10-10 conf. team. We are currently projected as a 23-8 & 14-6 team.

Personally, I think we will probably lose some games in conference but not 6 the way this league is playing and the way our team is playing.

Comeaux is a stealing machine ranking 4th nationally in steal% by Kenpom.

The Southland is still projected to be ranked 30th out of 32 conferences. Every year since 2017 the league has taken a step down 2017 - 27th, 2018 - 28th and 2019 - 29th.
No-look
We may lose some conference games but I'm hoping for a double bye at Katy. Gotta make it to the dance.
RichieVan
Any loss in conference would be an upset, IMO. I've gone over all the conference teams and looked at their non-conference schedules and I, honestly, don't see where we lose. Nicholls can pose a problem and possibly Lamar, ACU and SHSU. If we lose, it will be because we were subpar that day. I think we go 17-3 and possibly 18-2 in conference.
BigJack85
I think you're on target. I did the same calculus. I came up with 9-2 OOC and 18-2 Conference. 27-4. Team Rankings has us at 26-5. Either one of those without a stupid loss and we should be a 13 or 14. Easy.....

Even on the best night we are still taking everyone's best shot. We are bound to lose one or two.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
PurpleOut
Staff
BigJack85 said:

Even on the best night we are still taking everyone's best shot. We are bound to lose one or two.
This is what I was about to say and why it's so hard to go undefeated in conference. The best program in any conference is always going to get everyone's best shot. It's just the way sports work.

McNeese has been playing at a really high level lately (for them). Should have beaten Texas, blasted their non-D1 opponent and beat at least an average UMKC team this week. The point is there's not going to be anyone that we can sleep on. Several teams have some really good scorers.
SFASawmillGuy
RichieVan said:

Any loss in conference would be an upset, IMO. I've gone over all the conference teams and looked at their non-conference schedules and I, honestly, don't see where we lose. Nicholls can pose a problem and possibly Lamar, ACU and SHSU. If we lose, it will be because we were subpar that day. I think we go 17-3 and possibly 18-2 in conference.

I agree that we SHOULD NOT lose to anyone in conference play. It feels like we should always be 18-0 in conference play, but the fact is it's so hard it's nearly impossible to do. Plus we've already seen in both of our losses that we should have won, we are still capable of having a purely trash game where we can't buy a basket. It's gonna really hurt our potential for an 11 or 12 seed in the tournament if we lose any conference games, but it's also probably gonna happen at least once.
HJC69
We will lose some if we don't play as a team.
Pilotgirl
178 as of today.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Like a flash, we zoomed up to 177 overnight.

Our next opponent, HBU, is at 310, courtesy of their 0-8 record. They have played some good teams, though -- Michigan, Texas Tech, Dayton, Houston -- so the Jacks must not take them lightly.
CertifiedAxeman98
NET rankings are out (they only use 2019 performance in their calcs):

74 SFA
114 Nicholls St.
188 Lamar University
200 Sam Houston St.
263 McNeese
286 Abilene Christian
300 A&M-Corpus Christi
307 New Orleans
337 Southeastern La.
338 Central Ark.
340 Northwestern St.
343 Houston Baptist
353 UIW

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-men/d1/ncaa-mens-basketball-net-rankings
SFA Jack Fanatic
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

74 SFA
114 Nicholls St.
188 Lamar University
200 Sam Houston St.
263 McNeese
286 Abilene Christian
300 A&M-Corpus Christi
307 New Orleans
337 Southeastern La.
338 Central Ark.
340 Northwestern St.
343 Houston Baptist
353 UIW

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-men/d1/ncaa-mens-basketball-net-rankings
Kenpom ratings are fun to follow, but I like this much better.
nacluth
Not only more fun to follow but also what is actually used to rank teams come tournament time.

Notice 5 of the worst 17 teams are from the SLC, and UIW, not Miss. Valley St., is the absolute worst. 74 seems fair if not slightly generous, but in this system that Duke game counted a lot.

Need double digit wins from here out if we're going up any.
SFA Jack Fanatic
My memory is failing me. Can someone explain how NET rankings are determined?
sfa17
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

74 SFA
114 Nicholls St.
188 Lamar University
200 Sam Houston St.
263 McNeese
286 Abilene Christian
300 A&M-Corpus Christi
307 New Orleans
337 Southeastern La.
338 Central Ark.
340 Northwestern St.
343 Houston Baptist
353 UIW

Long Live NET
CertifiedAxeman98
Another rating system used by the NCAA selection committee is Sagarin:

121 SFA
184 Sam Houston St.
211 Lamar University
226 Nicholls St.
251 New Orleans
261 Abilene Christian
277 McNeese
309 A&M-Corpus Christi
312 Central Ark.
334 Southeastern La.
338 Houston Baptist
346 Northwestern St.
350 UIW

http://sagarin.com/sports/cbsend.htm
CertifiedAxeman98
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

My memory is failing me. Can someone explain how NET rankings are determined?
https://www.ncaa.com/video/basketball-men/2019-12-16/dan-gavitt-explains-college-basketballs-net-rankings

It was developed by the NCAA with Google. See above video overview of the system. They worked with Kenpom and others to come up with their own advanced analytic model. They do not use preseason rankings as Kenpom does so they are only looking at actual results. They look at more than just wins and loses and similar to Kenpom. Their model uses actual results but it is also predictive like Kenpom's model.

They were smart to wait a few weeks later this year to release the first one and allow more games to be played since they don't factor in preseason rankings.

Norlander's initial opinions on the 19/20 NET. SFA gets a mention here as well.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/net-rankings-debut-ohio-state-is-no-1-in-ncaas-official-metric-followed-by-kansas-and-san-diego-state/

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.