Practice Facility thread

57,494 Views | 248 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by SFAJack_76
purplitis72
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So the practice facility will actually be part of the coliseum? What other improvements are they going to make to the coliseum itself?
SFA Jack Fanatic
purplitis72 said:

So the practice facility will actually be part of the coliseum? What other improvements are they going to make to the coliseum itself?
Yes, it will be attached to and to the east of WRJ.
Jacks4460
    Looks like it is starting... this is from the BOR Agenda for May 18 teleconference..

sorry dont know how to add a screen shot... its says they are starting and the CMAR is asking for 1,369,388 to start...
TallTexan
Have we seen any mockups at all?
TallTexan
Jacks4460 said:

Looks like it is starting... this is from the BOR Agenda for May 18 teleconference..

sorry dont know how to add a screen shot... its says they are starting and the CMAR is asking for 1,369,388 to start...

4460, what's the completion date on this thing?
Jacks4460
TallTexan said:

Jacks4460 said:

i have seen a timeline but to be honest I dont remember I feel like it was Fall Semester 2021
SFA Jack Fanatic
Jacks4460 said:

TallTexan said:

Jacks4460 said:

i have seen a timeline but to be honest I dont remember I feel like it was Fall Semester 2021

November 2021.

Here's a cut-and-paste of the BOR agenda on the topic:

BASKETBALL PRACTICE FACILITY CONSTRUCTION INITIAL GROSS MAXIMUM PRICE

Explanation: Basketball Practice Facility site work drawings are approximately 90% completed. However, current drawings will allow initial construction activity to begin. The contract with the construction manager-at-risk (CMAR) KDW, authorizes preconstruction project expenditures. To begin construction activity, the regents must authorize project construction expenditures. The CMAR has provided an initial gross maximum price (GMP) for the first phase of construction activity. A contract amendment and approval of an initial GMP will allow construction activity to begin this summer. The regents will consider a total project cost at a later meeting date.

Recommendation: The administration recommends approval of a Basketball Practice Facility CMAR contract amendment with KDW, and an associated initial Basketball Practice Facility construction-related GMP cost of $1,369,388. The administration further recommends presidential authorization to sign the related contract(s) and purchase orders
purplitis72
I was thinking the completion date was in November 2020.
SFA Jack Fanatic

Have they turned dirt on this thing yet?
SFAJack_76
Drove by there last Saturday and utility relocation was still being done. The last I heard was hopefully by late June.
Jacks4460
Ground breaking ceremony looks like this month... Dont know how to attach the page from the BOR agenda..
SFAJack_76
Jacks4460 said:

Ground breaking ceremony looks like this month... Dont know how to attach the page from the BOR agenda..
I think you are correct. I believe the for show ground breaking has been planned to take place around the July board meeting.
SFAJack_76
Jacks4460 said:

Format didn't copy and paste well, but here it is:

Basketball Practice Facility
Project Manager Physical Plant Architect Populous
Contractor KDW, Ltd.
Scope of Work:
Project Profiles
Construct an addition to the William R Johnson Coliseum that will include a basketball practice facility and house men's and women's basketball operations and associated support facilities.
Funding source: Revenue Financing Bond Proceeds
Key Milestones:
Begun: December 2018
Expected Completion: May 2021
Project estimate of $26,000,000 approved by the regents on October 28, 2018
Project Status:
Programmingandsitesurveycompleted
Constructiondrawings50%completed
Undergroundutilityrelocationworkcompleted
KDWwaitingonfinishfloorelevationcertificate(TwoFifteenConsultingpreparing) GroundbreakingceremonytobeheldwithJulyboardmeeting
Project Budget Expenditure Encumbered Total to Date Variance
26,000,000 493,703 1,209,304 1,703,007 24,296,993
SFAJack_76
Link to the July Board meeting information. 616 pages is all.

http://www.sfasu.edu/sites/default/files/2019-07/bor-report-07.21-23.2019.pdf
SFAXE93

SFAJack_76
Includes a couple more pictures. The hard hat thing in these events always make me chuckle. Perhaps because my jobs for my career required one for real safety reasons.
SFAJack_76
"Construction will begin in the coming weeks, Keller said. He expected to have access to the facility by July 2020, and full completion by the beginning of 2021."
BigJack85
At this point I was hoping that we would have artist renderings of the what the Final Product might look like.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
PurpleOut
Staff
So excited. If we can get a lot of it done by summer of next year, it will be a huge recruiting tool even sooner.
SFAJack_76
BigJack85 said:

At this point I was hoping that we would have artist renderings of the what the Final Product might look like.
KTRE 10:00 news had a couple of pictures of renderings. I haven't found them posted anywhere yet.
PurpleOut
Staff
Here is the stream of the meeting that includes the renderings (a lot of cool stuff coming, not just this facility). They start with the basketball facility almost immediately. I watched a few times and paused on the slides to fully take in what I was looking at. To say I'm excited is an understatement. This is going to be head and shoulders above everyone in the league, and rival some of the best in the nation (at the Mid-Major level at least).

http://sfastreaming.sfasu.edu/stream/regents/2019/07-22-2019am.mp4
MasterAxe
PurpleOut said:

So excited. If we can get a lot of it done by summer of next year, it will be a huge recruiting tool even sooner.
It's a great tool now. "Come here, win games and in less than two years you're gonna have one of the best facilities in the conference/state/nation."

BigJack85
The drawings/renderings look good. One addition I'd like to see.

Please please please update the facade of the North Face of WRJ.
sfa17
Took some Screenshots of the presentation. 26 Million dollar project

SFA Jack Fanatic
sfa17 said:

Thanks for the enlargements, 17. What is the orientation of the site plan drawing? University Drive at the top and College Drive to the left, I assume? And can someone explain what the drawing illustrates? Obviously, I'm not an architect nor do I have Superman-quality vision.
PurpleOut
Staff
Yeah, everything is basically corner of College and University. So we'll lose those trees. The 5th picture is looking up where the Coliseum and main entrance is from the cross walk on a College. It's a completely new walkway with steps instead of the ramp.
nacluth
Looks awesome.
TallTexan
Wow. That's an incredible transformation.
SFAJack_76
I like the incorporation of wood into the architecture. Started listening the the BOR meeting and appreciated the comments about working with mass timber construction. Here is a primer on what that is.

https://hga.com/advantages-of-mass-timber-construction/
BigJack85
sfa17 said:

I opened up the BOR streamed meeting. It's pretty freaking long. Does anyone recall approximately where the basketball practice facility presentation is???
Pilotgirl
Looks great! Will still have to have some sort of ramp for ADA.
SFAJack_76
BigJack85 said:

I opened up the BOR streamed meeting. It's pretty freaking long. Does anyone recall approximately where the basketball practice facility presentation is???
Almost the very beginning.
BigJack85
Thanks.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

I like the incorporation of wood into the architecture. Started listening the the BOR meeting and appreciated the comments about working with mass timber construction. Here is a primer on what that is.

https://hga.com/advantages-of-mass-timber-construction/

The use of mass timber is revolutionizing the construction industry. Its strength is allowing wood to be used in building multistory structures where wood could not have been used before. And, since it's wood, it's obviously much more environmentally friendly than steel, concrete, or other materials.
nacluth
Saw where they had pulled a lot of rows of Coliseum seats and put them outside. Couldn't say what the plans are whether cleaning or replacing.

Edit: Also noticed that they are adding new lights down Wilson Drive. I mentioned that in our Sawmill discussion about nighttime safety - that that was one of the darkest places. If someone from SFA has read our conversations, thanks. If not, thanks anyway!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.