Practice Facility thread

57,493 Views | 248 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by SFAJack_76
Ballwatch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wow very impressive press release! Wonder how much I need to donate and have naming rights to a little piece of this grand performance center....maybe naming rights to one of the restroom urinals? Call it the Ballwatch urinal????
TallTexan
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Powerball tomorrow night, play heavy my friend and get your name enshrined!!

In all seriousness, this whole project looks fantastic. Could certainly be a game changer in recruiting and a big step towards our top Mid Major hopes and dreams.

Ok who's got six lucky numbers?
wahlwesle
This is most definitely impressive. I hope they really do stain the practice court like a log as they show in the video. Or better yet, do it to the playing court.
BigJack85
Will the old offices/locker rooms etc be repurposed for visitors?
Pilotgirl
Super impressive. The rest of the Southland is like "Oh sh*t!"
purpleballs
Ballwatch said:

Wow very impressive press release! Wonder how much I need to donate and have naming rights to a little piece of this grand performance center....maybe naming rights to one of the restroom urinals? Call it the Ballwatch urinal????

I'm not sure I would name anything ballwatch inside a men's bathroom, if you know what I mean.
jboy93
Not even sure what an "aspirational wall" is but I'm sure glad we have one?!?!? Dang what a recruiting ADVANTAGE!
jboy93
Can someone refresh my memory on timeline to open this cathedral?
PurpleOut
Staff
jboy93 said:

Can someone refresh my memory on timeline to open this cathedral?
They initially said they expected to be able to access some of it by this summer, with a full completion in early 2021. But, I think the weather has somewhat extended the schedule. Every time I've seen a pic or been in town the thing is full of water after a storm.
SFAJack_76
March 2021, is the posted completion date. I know they expect to have it in some level of use before that. So far, I think they have lost about 14 days to weather.
Ballwatch
Or Purple balls
SFAJack_76
"BASKETBALL FACILITY PROJECT BUDGET
Explanation:
On February 6, 2019, the university sold a bond issue that included a project to construct a basketball practice facility. The basketball practice facility's portion of the issue was $26,000,000. During facility design, enhancements were added that included more functional space for athletic training, nutrition and performance.
The design and subsequent construction enhancements require additional funds to deliver the project as needed. During fiscal year 2019, the university received a donation specifically for the basketball program.
SFA Policy 1.4 requires construction budget approval by the university regents. The administration proposes approval of the Basketball Facility Project budget that includes bond proceeds, investment earnings, and donations.

Recommendation:
The administration recommends approval of a $28,500,000 Basketball Practice Facility project budget that includes bond proceeds, investment earnings and donations."
SFAJack_76
"Basketball Practice Facility
Project Manager Physical Plant Architect Populous
Contractor KDW, Ltd.

Scope of Work:
Project Profiles
Construct an addition to the William R Johnson Coliseum that will include a basketball practice facility and house men's and women's basketball operations and associated support facilities.
Funding Source: Revenue Financing Bond Proceeds

Key Milestones:
Start Date: December 2018 Expected Completion: March 2021 Project Budget of $26,000,000
Phase I Tunnel $1,369,388 GMP presented on May 18, 2019 Phase II Main Building $23,818,986 GMP
Total Project GMP - $25,188,374
Project Status:
Tunnel site work is 100% complete
Building site work is 100% complete
Installation of drill piers is 75% complete
Total rain delay days stands at 14 days, project maintaining completion date of
March 2021

Project Budget Expenditure Encumbered Total to Date Variance
26,000,000 3,161,796 23,897,325 27,059,121 -1,059,121"
SFAJack_76
The previous two posts are from this weeks BOR meeting notes.
PurpleOut
Staff
Nice, thanks for posting.
TallTexan
jboy93 said:

Not even sure what an "aspirational wall" is but I'm sure glad we have one?!?!? Dang what a recruiting ADVANTAGE!
I can totally see Coach Keller in the design process "We need somewhere to hang posters with motivational quotes to motivate these cats".
jboy93
Hopefully they are already planning on bringing back some of the players/coaches that have laid the foundation for this to be possible in a huge grand opening etc.! Would be great to see Walkup, Parker, Haymond, Kasper, Portia Hill, Trina Tillis, I could go on but just to mention a few!
LUMBERJACK2005
I can almost hear the football coaches pleading their case for a new facility from here in Houston.
cboothe09
Which would you do first? Football or baseball?
nacluth
LUMBERJACK2005 said:

I can almost hear the football coaches pleading their case for a new facility from here in Houston.
Beat Alabama.
BigJack85
I'd like to see baseball get an on campus home..... don't see that happening. In that case I'd look to find $$$ to update/expand the field house.
SFAJack_76
cboothe09 said:

I heard recently that both the track and football turf need to be replaced. Total cost is about $1.5 million.The track condition is such that we can't host a conference championship until it is replaced. The track and turf have not made it to a full normal life. Part of the issue on both is heavy use by non-intercollegiate athletic teams and individuals. From the BOR meeting, a revision to the use policy of Homer Bryce and WRJ:

". Intercollegiate athletic teams have first priority of access to all intercollegiate competition surfaces.
1.2.The coordinator of athletic operations will complete a facility use application.
2.3.The coordinator of athletic operations will assist university departments and student organizations with coordination of university police department and university physical plant
services for upcoming events.
3.4.A contract will be completed before the date of the event.
5. The William R. Johnson Coliseum marquee will be used to advertise only official university
events. Requests for messages on the marquee should be made to the coordinator of athletic
operations.
6. Homer Bryce Stadium and William R. Johnson Coliseum competition surfaces (i.e. football field, track surface and basketball court) shall be permitted only through approval through the facility use process. General public use of competition surfaces is strictly prohibited.
4.7. Grandstands located in Homer Bryce Stadium and William R. Johnson Coliseum shall be opened for general public use at their own risk, between 6am-10pm. Both facilities shall be closed for general public use between 10pm-6am. Those individuals caught using the facilities during unpermitted timeframes may be subject to disciplinary action, including prosecution by the extent allowed by law."

The one comment in bold was highlighted by me.

That didn't copy and paste exactly right. Here is the link. Page 43.

http://www.sfasu.edu/docs/board-regents/bor-report-01.26-28.2020.pdf

nacluth
That will be a blow to the general public even if it's what should happen. My whole life going up to the stadium with family and friends as a recreation or training has been one of the great public perks of SFA.

Even these days I meet my brother up at the stadium after we put our kids to bed and go run. Typically we're done by 10pm, but not always. I haven't run on the track in a while though I was just thinking about working on my mile time up there.

As I go out several nights a week, I would estimate about 50 people using the field and track over a couple of hours. In the summertime, it's a huge hangout for college kids and families. When I worked at the movie theater, our crew would get off work and go play flag football or frisbee after midnight most nights.

I know everything comes down to money these days, but I would say that how public Homer Bryce has been has been of inestimable value to the community. Obviously it won't be closed to the public, but restricting the field level will be a blow.
PurpleOut
Staff
Yeah that's not ideal, but at least the rest of the stadium would be open.

I went down on the field last weekend and funny enough I thought to myself how bad the track seemed.
TallTexan
cboothe09 said:

Baseball/Softball.

Hold out a few years for football, get them winning, then redo all of Homer Bryce.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

I went down on the field last weekend and funny enough I thought to myself how bad the track seemed.
Would we even have a way to enforce that?

Also, what's the cost to replace the track surface? Should we wait & consider moving the entire track?
SFAJack_76
I know it will not be received well by many. However, if we are going to have first class, and safe, facilities for our student-athletes, things have to change. Access must be restricted. Security must be increased.
PurpleOut
Staff
TallTexan said:

PurpleOut said:

Would we even have a way to enforce that?

Yeah I don't know, doesn't seem feasible unless you lock the gates to the entire stadium.
cboothe09
Agreed. If people wanna play football, head to the intramural fields or Nac HS...Wanna run? There are a lot of great routes in and through Nacogdoches. Rec Center has an indoor track available. Nac HS has a track as well...
nacluth
I mildly agree.

School properties are not open to the public - though this can be gotten around sometimes. It has to do with the security of the places where minors are expected. Intramural fields are a great option for the more field type stuff, but the appeal for many is the easy parking and well lit concourse all in one location. You can bring your kids and see them all over the stadium while the parents walk/run. There is not another easy location like that in Nac (or I would be there a lot ). I typically run through campus which is well lit and safe enough for two middle aged guys, but isn't as appealing for moms and young kids. Rec center is very expensive if you're not staff or students (more than say a typical gym).

Again, I see the wisdom in giving the best experience to our excellent track and field unit and ok football team. I'm just saying that from a Nacogdoches resident view where the stadium has been open to the public continually in my 41 years of life, it will be an adjustment. Maybe someone in the community will fill the need.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Just curious... Is work on the facility still progressing during these strange times?
PurpleOut
Staff
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Just curious... Is work on the facility still progressing during these strange times?
Funny, I was just thinking about that this morning as well.

Around my area seems to be up to the companies on if they are finishing projects. I had my roof replaced a week ago for example, but the house around the corner has a huge hole in their backyard from starting to install a pool...and isn't being worked on because the company postponed all projects.

Selfishly I hope we're still making progress.
TallTexan
They're still working on the bank beside my office in Tyler, which has a similar shutdown order. Who knows?
nacluth
From what I could tell they were working on it into last week, but I'm pretty sure everything is shut down now.
SFA Jack Fanatic
MBB and WBB put out a Google Earth video clip today of the practice facility taking shape, labeled "Getting Closer Every Day". Is that just a hype video or is work actually progressing during the pandemic? Nacluth said last week that it didn't look like it. Has anyone seen any activity since then?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.