WAC Hoops 2022-2023

8,579 Views | 148 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by nacluth
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Both Seattle and Sam did not have great nights tonigh, so there are no more undefeated WAC teams left.
No-look
How long do you want to ignore this user?
nacluth said:

Both Seattle and Sam did not have great nights tonigh, so there are no more undefeated WAC teams left.
. Yep. Everyone is beatable. The WAC is wide open
SFA88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
GCU jumped on Alcorn State right away and hit 3 three pointers in a row. Alcorn didn't score until the 14:07 mark. Alcorn doesn't look like the same team SFA played.
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
As more info keeps coming out, the NMSU investigation doesn't look good.

https://www.wachoopsdigest.com/more-news-new-mexico-state-mike-peake-investigation-continues/
No-look
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Crazy stuff. Probably more to come
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
3 BIG 12 matchups tonight and the WAC played well in the first in each of them but not in the second.
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
NET comparison of conferences. WAC #11 ahead of the A-10. Sam's NET is way too inflated right now, but ACU's is way down, so we'll see how it goes.

nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Seattle is playing Oregon State on the road tonight and Vegas says it's a toss-up game. Shows how good Seattle has been and how terrible Oregon State has been.
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SHSU beats Arlington Baptist 107-26
PurpleOut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Utah Valley now has wins over BYU and Oregon, should have beaten Wake Forest as well.

Going to be a tough conference season.
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I guess it's good to know that at least for now we don't qualify for the WAC tournament. Maybe a little motivation.
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The WAC kickoff was tonight and Southern Utah knocked off NMSU in Las Cruces. Despite the questions about whether this Aggie team should still be competing, they seem like a team of fools gold right now. They play Sam Houston this weekend in the battle of the most overrated WAC team.

Congratulations to Southern Utah for winning their first WAC game ever.
Pilotgirl
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I saw absolutely no defense except a full court press towards the end of the game by the Aggies....methinks that top spot will be another team this year. Who is gonna claim it?!
SFA88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
nacluth said:

I guess it's good to know that at least for now we don't qualify for the WAC tournament. Maybe a little motivation.
Right now no team qualifies for the tournament. Conference wins and losses determine who qualifies for the tournament. Overall Net rating is just for seediing.
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Women's WAC kickoff Utah Valley and GCU currently going into double OT.

Edit: Utah Valley which was 1-8 against D1 competition and lost by 70 to Utah wins in 2OT.
Pilotgirl
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wow....GCU is really going downhill fast...
SFA88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Pilotgirl said:

Wow....GCU is really going downhill fast...
They haven played well over the past 3 or 4 games. They started a freshman tonight that has never started for them and IMO hasn't shown she deserves to start. There are no reported injuries. Something is going on there.
SFA88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
GCU men started a skinny 7ft freshmen tonight they intended to redshirt but they have an injury that justifies it.
Pilotgirl
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA88 said:

Pilotgirl said:

Wow....GCU is really going downhill fast...
They haven played well over the past 3 or 4 games. They started a freshman tonight that has never started for them and IMO hasn't shown she deserves to start. There are no reported injuries. Something is going on there.


Yup...they should have easily beat a 3-8 team. Low scoring game, too. Double OT oooof. Watched the replay of the game. Brutal.

I know they only had 4 players return from last year, so might be a rebuilding year for them?
SFA88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Pilotgirl said:

SFA88 said:

Pilotgirl said:

Wow....GCU is really going downhill fast...
They haven played well over the past 3 or 4 games. They started a freshman tonight that has never started for them and IMO hasn't shown she deserves to start. There are no reported injuries. Something is going on there.


Yup...they should have easily beat a 3-8 team. Low scoring game, too. Double OT oooof. Watched the replay of the game. Brutal.

I know they only had 4 players return from last year, so might be a rebuilding year for them?
I didn't watch it. I have been watching bowl games and only watched the GCU men because it was on the DVR. Miller knew if she wanted to compete with SFA, the team needed to get bigger and she needed better scorers. So she hit the portal hard and also brought in some good freshman. They have a big named Olivia Lane that I have a feeling might be their best player but she has been hurt all year.

They have been chucking up a bunch of 3s but they don't seem that good at it. Collins can drive and score but she seems like the only one that can create her own shot. They look like a middle of the WAC team to me.

I thought the Ladyjacks would win the conference title and tournament title again but maybe lose a couple of conference games. Now, I'm not sure they will lose a game in conference. I would never post that on a general social media site because it sounds like an arrogant jerk but unless UTA is better than I think, the Ladyjacks should not have any serious trouble.
Pilotgirl
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA88 said:

Pilotgirl said:

SFA88 said:

Pilotgirl said:

Wow....GCU is really going downhill fast...
They haven played well over the past 3 or 4 games. They started a freshman tonight that has never started for them and IMO hasn't shown she deserves to start. There are no reported injuries. Something is going on there.


Yup...they should have easily beat a 3-8 team. Low scoring game, too. Double OT oooof. Watched the replay of the game. Brutal.

I know they only had 4 players return from last year, so might be a rebuilding year for them?
I didn't watch it. I have been watching bowl games and only watched the GCU men because it was on the DVR. Miller knew if she wanted to compete with SFA, the team needed to get bigger and she needed better scorers. So she hit the portal hard and also brought in some good freshman. They have a big named Olivia Lane that I have a feeling might be their best player but she has been hurt all year.

They have been chucking up a bunch of 3s but they don't seem that good at it. Collins can drive and score but she seems like the only one that can create her own shot. They look like a middle of the WAC team to me.

I thought the Ladyjacks would win the conference title and tournament title again but maybe lose a couple of conference games. Now, I'm not sure they will lose a game in conference. I would never post that on a general social media site because it sounds like an arrogant jerk but unless UTA is better than I think, the Ladyjacks should not have any serious trouble.


And CBU beat UTA the other day....
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
djsfw57
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFAXE93 said:


Couldn't help but look at the overall record on the men's side and laugh at how much stronger the WAC is than the SLC is.
SFA, Class of 1979
Pilotgirl
How long do you want to ignore this user?
And there are still people who want us back in the Southland Lolol
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.southland.org/standings.aspx?standings=110

Half of the SLC is on a losing streak and only two teams have a winning record.
wahlwesle
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Pilotgirl said:

And there are still people who want us back in the Southland Lolol
Probably the same people that didn't want us to join a university system.
BigJack85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
djsfw57 said:

SFAXE93 said:


Couldn't help but look at the overall record on the men's side and laugh at how much stronger the WAC is than the SLC is.


Ya. For sure. Depending on what ranking system you look at the difference is staggering. Warren Nolan has a pretty fair estimate of NET that has the WAC at 11th just behind CUSA and the American. Southland 29th. Virtually guaranteed a play in game or a 16 seed.

If the reports are accurate, and GCU, Seattle and CBU head to the WCC the WAC will need to make some adjustments (additions in IMHO). I'd hate to see us dip into the SLC , but with 8 universities the writing might be on the wall. A 10-12 member league has much greater chance of survival.

With basketball being the primary focus, I would think Oral Roberts and Little Rock are reasonable targets. Willingness would be the question. Little Rock maybe, ORU, less than 50%.

The ASUN for full membership would also be an option, but a step down from a NET/RPI perspective. Currently about 18 NET ranking. If the ASUN added SFA Tarleton and ACU it would likely boast the ASUN on the margins.

I am concerned about the longevity of the WAC.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
djsfw57
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BigJack85 said:

djsfw57 said:

SFAXE93 said:


Couldn't help but look at the overall record on the men's side and laugh at how much stronger the WAC is than the SLC is.


Ya. For sure. Depending on what ranking system you look at the difference is staggering. Warren Nolan has a pretty fair estimate of NET that has the WAC at 11th just behind CUSA and the American. Southland 29th. Virtually guaranteed a play in game or a 16 seed.

If the reports are accurate, and GCU, Seattle and CBU head to the WCC the WAC will need to make some adjustments (additions in IMHO). I'd hate to see us dip into the SLC , but with 8 universities the writing might be on the wall. A 10-12 member league has much greater chance of survival.

With basketball being the primary focus, I would think Oral Roberts and Little Rock are reasonable targets. Willingness would be the question. Little Rock maybe, ORU, less than 50%.

The ASUN for full membership would also be an option, but a step down from a NET/RPI perspective. Currently about 18 NET ranking. If the ASUN added SFA Tarleton and ACU it would likely boast the ASUN on the margins.

I am concerned about the longevity of the WAC.
I can't imagine any good reason for taking anyone from the SLC. That would be the kiss of death NET-wise.
SFA, Class of 1979
djsfw57
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFAXE93 said:

https://www.southland.org/standings.aspx?standings=110

Half of the SLC is on a losing streak and only two teams have a winning record.
That's harsh. I don't know why they even bother. LOL
SFA, Class of 1979
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
On the women's side UTA loses another one. NMSU beats UVU. Nobody wants to step up to run with the Ladyjacks yet.
Pilotgirl
How long do you want to ignore this user?
nacluth said:

On the women's side UTA loses another one. NMSU beats UVU. Nobody wants to step up to run with the Ladyjacks yet.

GCU is the next best. Hopefully, we handle them well on Sat.
Both of those losses you mentioned were at-home losses.
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
And Sam goes down again. Reality bites.
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.