WAC Hoops 2022-2023

21,119 Views | 229 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by SFA Jack Fanatic
No-look
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Also GCU ,which is a team we need to distance was awarded a win along with California Baptist. Should have erased all NMS games
nacluth
By the way, a lot of people on Twitter are going back and forth over what's the right thing to do about the seeding system and how should NMSU's games be affected. People are upset, ACU is awarded two bonus games in the seeding system, or people are saying teams would have been punished by not being able to make up ground if they hadn't counted those games as played.

The fair solution has been the same all along. Get rid of the seeding system and base the conference tournament on wins and losses. (Or win percentage if you wanted to be more fair.) Trying to fit all this crazy stuff in a made up matrix has been a fiasco this year, and it's not going to result in a better NCAA seed than NMSU got last year.
PurpleOut
Staff
Yep it's the seeding system that's the problem.

You take away all of the NMSUs games then you take away one of our wins (and a loss of course). I saw a lot of people (SFA people) say that ACU and the other schools shouldn't get free wins, and in turn get punished. I'm sure they would think differently if WE were one of those 5.

Without the point system, you could make it essentially a 12 team conference. Of course the league had no idea something like this could happen, but it's blowing up in their face now.
SFAJack_76
As a Ladyjack supporter, I like the resume seeding system. The best team in the WAC, that has had injuries, is seeded first.

If NMSU is forfeiting their remaining games, how are those not wins for ACU, etc? Thus, affecting the standings as well as the ranking system.
wahlwesle
Shouldn't the fact that they are forfeiting so many games dilute the points the "winning" teams will receive? Also, won't that make our loss to them even worse?
No-look
SFA is getting shafted along with Seattle. Not much makes sense anymore.
wahlwesle
Everybody got 0.32 points for the home "wins" against NM State. Just for reference, a home win against Tarleton gains 0.34 points. The NM State games should be worth less in my opinion.
nacluth
The problem is the seeding resume is loosely based on the NET. Tarleton is 175 in the NET and NMSU is 188. So currently their ranking is close enough to say there points are virtually the same.

Who knows what will happen with the NMSU NET from here on? Most people think that they won't move much because they can't change their stats and that ranking cannot take forfeits into its system.
nacluth
Fired Greg Heier. No big surprise there.
Pilotgirl
nacluth said:

Fired Greg Heier. No big surprise there.

That's the only call to make in this situation. Glad they didn't draw it out.
SFAXE93
No-look
I see where GCU picked up a nice win over New Mexico State tonight (sarcasm)
SFA88
Where is the consistency. Why aren't people pounding the table because the Ladyjacks are seeded 1st but they shouldn't be. We just sound like a bunch of homers. I have an idea. Win games against teams that suck and especially don't lose home games and neutral games against teams that suck.
nacluth
The Ladyjacks shouldn't be the 1 seed. They're two games back and lost head to head.
SFA88
I don't think anyone at the WAC offices thought the new seeding system would bring a higher NCAA seed this year. IF it works it will take a few years.

I have no idea if it will achieve its goal but I don't mind the effort. Over the years I have read complaints about NCAA seeding of mid-major conferences and the desire for a conference champ to get more respect. It seems to me the teams in those conferences don't want to do anything about it. They want someone else to do it or maybe a fairy godmother will do it. Meanwhile, those conference members want to pad their schedules with weak opponents so they can get to 20 wins and pat themselves on the back for a great season.

When the Lumberjacks had teams that were special, they played and won big preseason games and went on to win 30 games in the season. Those teams would not be worried about this seeding system.

Yet, here we are whining about teams getting .32 points from a forfeit because NMSU got their first conference win against the Lumberjacks and IT'S NOT FAIR. Good grief.
nacluth
Utah Valley scored 20 in the first half at Tarleton.
No-look
Almost half UVU points came at the free throw line
Jacks1989
Utah Valley goes down. Big win for Tarleton!
SFAXE93
nacluth
Grand Canyon only scored 13 points in the first half at home on senior night (final home game of the season)!!! That is a rough game.
No-look
nacluth said:

Grand Canyon only scored 13 points in the first half at home on senior night (final home game of the season)!!! That is a rough game.
. Watched that one. Senior night and watching Bryce Drew pray for his seniors after the game was neat.
PurpleOut
Staff
Pretty crazy, but after looking at the standings and remaining schedules...SFA is STILL in the race.

If we win out, and somehow UTA could miraculously win at Utah Valley...we'd be Co-Champs again.

What's even crazier, knowing we are still 1.51 behind 4th place in the Seeding System...there's still a chance we could win out and be Co-Champs...and still not get into the Top 4 without some help from Seattle or SUU losing.

Beating Sam and UVU would more than likely give us a bump into the Top 4...but you never know.

Going to be a wild week! I'm going to talk with Kyle (WACHoopsDigest) tomorrow night, so look out for that if you're interested.

SFA88
GCU is hard to figure out. They get stomped at home on senior night by Seattle but become the first WAC team to beat SUU in Cedar City tonight.

SUU and Seattle losing tonight would have been helpful but losing to Sam probably means the Jack's won't be in the top 4 and won't be co-champs.
nacluth
Yep. Impossible for Jacks to be champs or a top 4.
No-look
nacluth said:

Yep. Impossible for Jacks to be champs or a top 4.
Just gotta give it all we got the rest of the way and see what happens
No-look
If the seedings stay the same through Friday we would match up with the eleventh seed. If we get by them we play Seattle who are beatable. And then the winner of Tarleton/UTU game. Tarleton has already beaten them this year. There's still hope. Lol
nacluth
Love the positive outlook!
No-look
Utah Valley up 39-33 at the half over Cincy. UTU 7' center Bandaogo is an absolute stud. Hope a P5 lures him out of the WAC. Lol
nacluth
Utah Valley is solid and playing great right now.
BigJack85
nacluth said:

Utah Valley is solid and playing great right now.

UVU is representing the WAC exceptionally well.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
nacluth
Utah Valley is going to win, but their players are the worst with their crap talking.
No-look
Darthard is the worst
No-look
Woodbury is the only significant senior on the team.
nacluth
Utah Valleys really could win the NIT. North Texas is insane right now, but an extremely impressive postseason for UVU.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Utah Valleys really could win the NIT. North Texas is insane right now, but an extremely impressive postseason for UVU.

Would be nice for the WAC.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.