WAC Hoops 2022-2023

20,346 Views | 229 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by SFA Jack Fanatic
PurpleOut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Going ahead and starting this thread since there should be a lot of off-season activity.

Seattle's Darrion Trammell has transferred to San Diego State. Was going to be arguably the best returning player in the WAC along side Fardaws Aimaq (who is going through the NBA process, and has heard from basically every P5 school already).
BigJack85
Hopefully, we see some strong Power Forward transfers come through.
nacluth
Who's the early team to beat? ACU or us?
No-look
Biased but right now it's us. That could change at any time. I would feel a lot more comfortable if we could get a quality big (or two)
PurpleOut
Staff
Always so hard to say these days until you know who is going to be on the rosters.

ACU loses a big group in Coryon Mason, Reggie Miller and Mahki Morris.

Sounds like there is a chance they will get Joe Pleasant back. Who transferred last year to Wichita State, didn't play much and is back in the portal.

We'll have a ridiculous amount of talent at the guard position. If Ware is back, if Cajuste is as good as advertised, and if Daniels is even an average contributor...we'll have the best depth in the league there. We just can't do it without someone like Gavin...unless we change the system.
BigJack85
PurpleOut said:

Always so hard to say these days until you know who is going to be on the rosters.

ACU loses a big group in Coryon Mason, Reggie Miller and Mahki Morris.

Sounds like there is a chance they will get Joe Pleasant back. Who transferred last year to Wichita State, didn't play much and is back in the portal.

We'll have a ridiculous amount of talent at the guard position. If Ware is back, if Cajuste is as good as advertised, and if Daniels is even an average contributor...we'll have the best depth in the league there. We just can't do it without someone like Gavin...unless we change the system.

Ya. Stacked 1,2 & 3. Solomon is a really a combo 3/4 if there is such a thing. A solid 4/5 guy could set this team up for a solid 22-23 season.
PurpleOut
Staff
ACU got Joe Pleasant back.

NMSU has lost everyone but one player now.
BigJack85
PurpleOut said:

I'm not sure I'd pick NMSU as a preseason top 5 ?
No-look
PurpleOut said:

I saw where NMSU signed the #16 juco in the nation. They will reload
BigJack85
No-look said:

PurpleOut said:

I saw where NMSU signed the #16 juco in the nation. They will reload

The three guys we grabbed look solid. I think we could be good. Especially if the bigs step up.
TallTexan
djsfw57
TallTexan said:

I will never understand how it's possible to play at a different school every year. Why is that crap allowed?
SFA, Class of 1979
PurpleOut
Staff
UTRGV managed to get Texas to travel to Edinburg for 4-team event...but somehow didn't get a game vs the Horns out of the deal. And instead travel to Austin a few days later.
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
No-look
With the season drawing near what's everyone's thought on the WAC? I've seen polls and talking heads that have SFA anywhere from second to fifth in the projected rankings. Most have NMSU ranked #1 and that may be because of past accomplishments. But there is no Teddy Allen or Jabari Rice and co. I think they only have two players that were there last year… right now I like our chances as well as any. Especially if the new players make an impact.
SFAXE93
I think it is wide open, maybe 7 teams could take the title.
SFAXE93
"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
No-look
Have to admire the Grand Canyon basketball thing. Full house and students waiting hours in line to get in against an exhibition opponent.
SFA88
No-look said:

Have to admire the Grand Canyon basketball thing. Full house and students waiting hours in line to get in against an exhibition opponent.
Some people think they pay the students to show up; they don't. I think the confusion comes in because the student section is called the Havocs and there is a handful of students who's job it is to plan out the events before the games, come up with themes and music for the games, and generally get the student body involved. That small group is also called the Havocs and it is paid. They are expected to treat it as a part-time job. Admin believes a student group is better able to come up with things the student body will like as compared to the administration.
No-look
And California Baptist. There is a code that we need to figure out how to break. A fourth of that would be nice.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFA88 said:

No-look said:

Some people think they pay the students to show up; they don't. I think the confusion comes in because the student section is called the Havocs and there is a handful of students who's job it is to plan out the events before the games, come up with themes and music for the games, and generally get the student body involved. That small group is also called the Havocs and it is paid. They are expected to treat it as a part-time job. Admin believes a student group is better able to come up with things the student body will like as compared to the administration.

We've discussed this idea before, but nothing came of it.
No-look
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

SFA88 said:

No-look said:

We've discussed this idea before, but nothing came of it.
Trying to waltz with someone who doesn't want to dance? Lol. Hopefully something is in the mix.
SFA88
There seems to be several factors that help CBU and GCU, specifically, generate that fan involvement. Money certainly helps (pay for home games, pay for free pizzas for students before games, pay for pyrotechnics, lighting, music). I don't think it is the only thing but it goes a long way. They also have location advantages with nearby airports and teams that generate interest, GCU and ASU are 16 miles apart. I don't know what the answer is but I have come to the realization that SFA can't do it the same way and may never be able to do it.
TallTexan
SFA88 said:

No-look said:

Wish we'd do this & move Purple Haze oversight to the athletic department.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

SFA88 said:

No-look said:

Wish we'd do this & move Purple Haze oversight to the athletic department.
It was discussed, but the athletic department simply doesn't have the staff.
SFAJack_76
nacluth
Looks like Tarleton and Utah Tech probably have the nicest SOS lineups, but besides ACU at K-State, there doesn't look like we'll have any real P6 upsets.
SFA88
I watched the GCU men's and women's basketball exhibition games. You can't tell much from exhibition games but here are my (remember, dumb guy) general observations.

GCU Men: Ray Harrison, their new guard from the portal, looks like the real deal. He was nervous and made some unforced errors but he also had a pretty baseline drive and reverse layup. There were definite flashes from him. Blackshear looks like he has improved his 3 point shooting. He is fast and can blow by guys but if you sag to far he will hit a 3 on you. Another transfer guard from UNLV was better than I had heard. GCU is guard heavy. Their bigs from last year, look stronger. Students call the Irish guy the Irish Hulk. They don't score much. They are there to defend the rim, block out, and rebound. Defensively, they move their feet well and try to stay in front of guys. They also want to force the man with the ball to go where they want him to go when the opposing offense sets a screen. They have a couple of big freshman (one from Jakarta) but I don't expect them to play much.

GCU Women: much more size than last year. Announcers said they have 10 new players and 5 of those new players are freshman. They have the number one and number two rebounders from the Summit League. There was also a 6'3" freshman forward and a 5'8" freshman guard that looked very comfortable in their first college game. Obviously, playing a good defensive team like the Ladyjacks will probably change that but they have skill. Those newcomers will need to learn to play defense without fouling if they want to stay on the floor. Their coach said after the game that she wasn't happy with the lack of boxing out.

Both games were called very tight by the officials. It made me wonder if the coaches had asked for the games to be called that way. <shrug> I don't know if that is something you can do in exhibition games if the coaches from both sides agree.
nacluth
GCU was down by 19 early in the second to Montana St. but winning now. UTA was down by 31 early in the second to Oklahoma St but only down 11 now. Big swings!
SFA88
nacluth said:

GCU was down by 19 early in the second to Montana St. but winning now. UTA was down by 31 early in the second to Oklahoma St but only down 11 now. Big swings!
GCU finally started playing with some energy, put the clamps on defensively, and won 60-54. Montana State won the Big Sky last year and is picked to win it again this year. No way did I think GCU would come back and win that game.

Sam beat Oklahoma by one point. Tarleton gave ASU a scare but ASU won at the end by 3.
SFA88
Good grief! Utah Valley women only scored 27 points against Utah. How does that happen!? Look at this box score. I've seen 9th grade scores better than this.

Team 1 2 3 4 F
UVU 5 7 6 9 27
Utah 25 25 24 23 97

I see they struggled with NAIA Park University in Gilbert AZ too. They are in for a VERY long season.
nacluth
Sam beat LeTourneau by less than we did but the score after 8 minutes was 22-0. Sam has shown that their defense is much improved over a decent effort last year.
BigJack85
nacluth said:

Sam beat LeTourneau by less than we did but the score after 8 minutes was 22-0. Sam has shown that their defense is much improved over a decent effort last year.

Ya. From what I watched (about 5 minutes) Sam looks much improved. I doubt we beat them 2X this year.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
No-look
BigJack85 said:

nacluth said:

Ya. From what I watched (about 5 minutes) Sam looks much improved. I doubt we beat them 2X this year.
Nah, we beat them twice.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.