2019 SFA Baseball

80,238 Views | 396 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SFAJack_76
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Forget good Kubo or bad Kubo, how about this awesome baserunning?
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

UCA using their closer as a starter today. Sounds like UCA is not too worried about this game. Saving their other starters for later.

I heard, for what it is worth, that their usual starter would have been on short rest. If this was an elimination game, he probably would have gone.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

Forget good Kubo or bad Kubo, how about this awesome baserunning?

Yep. Poor decisions. First one probably on coach. Second one probably on the player.
SFASawmillGuy
Kubo was keeping us in the game at least.
SFAJack_76
Kubo pitched really good for five innings. It was the other one plus, not so much.
SFASawmillGuy
The guys have checked out. On to tomorrow morning now. Hopefully they retain what it took to beat SELU to keep us in it.
Cardenas looks exhausted in the dugout right now.
SFAJack_76
Well .... I got nothing. Disappointing to not even be competitive.
SFASawmillGuy
That's kind of how this season has gone. We're either incredibly good and can do no wrong, or we look like a D3 team in year 1 of the program.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Jacks vs. SLU this morning at 9:00 on ESPN+. Let's see how they react to yesterday's whitewash.
TallTexan
We play our best baseball at the crack of dawn.
BigJack85
Is SFA Jack Fanatic going to give us the blow by blow on this?
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAJack_76
The win or see you next season line up. Stobart on the mound.
SFAJack_76
SLU starter Will Warren has a 7.20 ERA. Can the worst hitting team in D1 score runs against him?
SFA Jack Fanatic
BigJack85 said:

Is SFA Jack Fanatic going to give us the blow by blow on this?

Not there today. Not saying my confidence level is low, but.......
nacluth
Down 2-0 in the third. No hits yet but at least we have two errors. Plenty of time...
SFAJack_76
Cardenas going to the bullpen in the fourth. Starks is good, or bad. Rarely has he been just okay this season. Which one is it today?
TallTexan
Does our baseball team have an S&C program?

Because the current pitcher weighs 126 pounds.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

Starks is only 5'8" with a small frame. Having seen him, I am not convinced that height is precise. He is small. S&C is not his biggest issue.
TallTexan
Fair enough.

I know baseball isn't the biggest S&C sport out there, but we have some guys that could be taken out by a strong breeze.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

Fair enough.

I know baseball isn't the biggest S&C sport out there, but we have some guys that could be taken out by a strong breeze.
I agree that across all sports, S&C has been lacking. With Stoner heading up Sports Performance, and Ivey's commitment to it, I expect better prepared athletes going forward.
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

Fair enough.

And the wind has been blowing strong at Constellation Field all three days.
nacluth
Going to 7th still down by two 4-2
SFA Jack Fanatic
Both of these ESPN+ guys are pretty good. But I think the mellow voice of Van Chancellor would have made it even better. (Forgive me, SFA MBB fans.)
TallTexan
Ed, how dare you?
nacluth
Going to come down to the top of the order to extend the season.
TallTexan
Missed a big opportunity there in the 8th.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Another missed opportunity in the 9th. Pitchers give up only two hits, but we lose 4-3. Dang it! Good effort though. This tournament may provide some positive thoughts going into the off-season.
BigJack85
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Another missed opportunity in the 9th. Pitchers give up only two hits, but we lose 4-3. Dang it! Good effort though. This tournament may provide some positive thoughts going into the off-season.
Another good arm in the starting line-up (to add to Palmer) and some development from the bull pen and we could have a decent rotation.....

Now to get our bats moving. Cardenas had his group over achieve in a number of ways. Like most of us I still believe the key to consistent, long-term competitiveness is facilities. Good luck with that.

I'll try to stay glass half full.

Axe 'Em Jacks!
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Another missed opportunity in the 9th. Pitchers give up only two hits, but we lose 4-3. Dang it!
Three hits, but still very good. Two unearned runs plus a walk ahead of a home run add up to the four runs. Jacks struggled all season to hit, and really struggled to get the clutch hit. This game was there for the taking.

Not a great season, but better than expected. On to 2020. Of the eleven seniors, the only ones I regret losing are Huber, Vasquez, and Gamez. We have to improve depth at pitcher. Hitters. We need hitters in the worst way. Getting Martin back will help. Perhaps Campbell finds the .300 stroke he had his sophomore year. Uhse was over .300 for much of the season as a freshman, and then he hit a wall. If any of the subs could hit, they probably would have been playing. We must have guys that are not on the team this year come in and win some starting spots.
SFA Jack Fanatic
BigJack85 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Another good arm in the starting line-up (to add to Palmer) and some development from the bull pen and we could have a decent rotation.....

I hope I'm wrong, but I have a sinking feeling that Palmer will get drafted. A low draft choice, perhaps, but he may take it.
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

BigJack85 said:

I hope I'm wrong, but I have a sinking feeling that Palmer will get drafted. A low draft choice, perhaps, but he may take it.
Regrettably agree.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

This is the baseball sports performance guy. His wife was at many of the home games. She also works at SFA.
TallTexan
How does a college baseball team go about getting better hitters?

Is it taught? Do we need to recruit better hitters & teach them to play defense?

What do you guys think? I feel like the bullpen is headed in the right direction.
SFASawmillGuy
TallTexan said:

How does a college baseball team go about getting better hitters?

Is it taught? Do we need to recruit better hitters & teach them to play defense?

What do you guys think? I feel like the bullpen is headed in the right direction.

Most of its coaches. Most of these kids were absolute studs in high school but they also never faced pitchers who can throw more than 2 different pitches well. So they never faced quality pitchers on a regular basis.
That's the biggest learning curve for a kid becoming a college hitter. Learning how to identify different pitches. Bat placement on the ball. It's learned.
My nephew is like a high school George Springer(please recruit my nephew Johnny Cardenas), but he would get absolutely shredded if he played college ball right now because he doesn't face pitchers who spend every waking moment perfecting their pitches.
We recruit fine I think. We just need to teach these guys that they aren't good enough yet and show them what it takes to be good enough.
SFAJack_76
So, SFA_03, what do you think is the reason for the dramatic drop in BA across the board year over year? Team BA dropped from .272 in 2018 to . 222. Georgiades dropped from .333 to .209. Josh Campbell dropped from .313 to .202. Black dropped from .261 to .136. Huber dropped from .279 to .218. Etc.

Coaches are the same other than Bo Martino coming on as pitching coach. In contrast to hitting, pitching was significantly improved year over year.

Fielding % was improved this season to .975 from 2018 .968.

If the 2019 Jacks had hit like the 2018 Jacks, what could this season have been?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.