2019 SFA Baseball

81,255 Views | 396 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SFAJack_76
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Nice homer!
SFAJack_76
Jared Martin bottom of 8th for 3-2 lead.
nacluth
Heart of the order getting something going with two outs in the 8th! Bring in the closer.
SFAJack_76
Jacks win!
nacluth
Nice win! Nothing like getting that first one. 76 tell us about the atmosphere at the come from behind win. Ark. St. left 15 on base! Two more tough games but we get the opener.
BigJack85
Nice start.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAJack_76
nacluth said:

Nice win! Nothing like getting that first one. 76 tell us about the atmosphere at the come from behind win. Ark. St. left 15 on base! Two more tough games but we get the opener.
Any win is a good win. This one was not without some help from the opponent. SFA pitchers worked out of a number of innings where one more hit would have been the difference in the game.

Really good crowd at the start of the game. Good number of students. Crowd thinned as the game went on. I suppose there is something better to do in Nacogdoches on a Friday night. Unlike when I was a student. But, I was really pleased with the crowd that did stay, and it was pumped after Martin's HR just cleared the left field fence.

The facility is an embarrassment, but that is a different story. Tonight, the Jacks are undefeated.
SFAJack_76
Overcast, much cooler day at the ballpark. Not quite the same crowd as last night, but still very good.

Starting pitcher strikes out the side in the top of the first. Workied around two walks and two stolen bases.
SFAJack_76
4-0 ASU middle third. SFA starting pitcher 78 pitches in three innings. 5 bb and 1 hbp. 3 hits. Terrible.
SFAJack_76
Through five, ASU 7-2. Hits are even at five. Inability to throw strikes is the difference in the game.
nacluth
SFAJack_76
11-2 final in case you missed it.

No. Nothing to add.
SFAJack_76
Ha. We also saw him give up four solo home runs. Still, he was our best pitcher of the day.
SFAJack_76
Jacks up 2-0 middle second. Big lefty freshman from Center has retired all six batters he has faced.

(We did not make it to this game.)
SFAJack_76
Nine up, nine down for Jaxon Covington. Only 39 pitches through three innings.
SFAJack_76
12 up, 12 down.
SFAJack_76
No hitter gone in the fifth. Two unearned runs. 3-2 good guys bottom of fifth.
SFAJack_76
Jacks lose 7-6. Error by third baseman led to two unearned runs. Covington relieved after five innings and 77 pitches. The ineffective bullpen took it from there.

Wasted first career D1 start for the young man from Center.
cboothe09
Do i make the midweek drive to CS tomorrow or stay in Houston and watch UT/Rice (Weather permitting of course)?
BigJack85
cboothe09 said:

Do i make the midweek drive to CS tomorrow or stay in Houston and watch UT/Rice (Weather permitting of course)?

I think it's going to pour tomorrow.
KirkHeath12
My wife went to ATM, so Jacks I need this victory so I can brag the rest of the year.
Class of 2012
Axe Em
KirkHeath12
Like the jerseys tonight
Class of 2012
Axe Em
KirkHeath12
Jacks Starter has 3 walks in the first inning
Class of 2012
Axe Em
SFAJack_76
KirkHeath12 said:

Jacks Starter has 3 walks in the first inning
In 2018, walked 11 in 8 2/3 innings over three starts before he got hurt We have serious issues with our starters.

See he got relieved after 48 pitches in 1 1/3 innings.
KirkHeath12
Ags 3 SFA 1

Honestly should be worse.
Class of 2012
Axe Em
BigJack85
KirkHeath12
5 - 2 Ags lead.
Class of 2012
Axe Em
SFAJack_76
Must be a treat to play .... never mind.
SFAJack_76
Nice 3-2 11 innng win over Wichita State. Good six inning start from Trayson Kubo.
SFAJack_76
Starter turns over an 8-3 lead after six over UTA. Bullpen and defense give it away for a 9-8 loss.
BigJack85
Crap. Crap.
PurpleOut
Staff
Errors.

Kills us every year.
SFAJack_76
PurpleOut said:

Errors.

Kills us every year.
Errors and inability to throw strikes.

The senior "closer" comes into the game, bottom ninth with a three run lead and goes walk, walk, double. There is no defense for walks. On the average, not less than two out of very three balls put in play result in outs. Throw strikes!!!

His relief nearly works out of it, but is undone by a two out, two run error by the senior shortstop.

Fundamental baseball.
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

BigJack85 said:

Such a downer. I don't think we will have a chance until we get an on-campus facility. A good one.

I agree, but I refuse to use that as an excuse for not being competitive. Then again, it is the first game of a long season.

Admittedly I haven't followed SFA Baseball closely. Seems like we are two or three players (usually a starter and a couple of closers) from being competitive. I don't think Cardenas is doing a bad job given the facilities he has to work with. More than once I've said drop football , add soccer and fully fund Baseball. About $5-$7 million gets us a respectable on campus facility that could be expanded. Ain't happening soon.
PurpleOut
Staff
I've decided to drive down to Arlington today.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.