2019 SFA Baseball

80,254 Views | 396 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
"Erwin Records First Collegiate Hit in Wednesday Matchup with Houston"

I laughed out loud.
BigJack85
It's hard for me to decide how I feel about SFA Baseball. On one hand I love the sport and I want us to succeed, on the flip side I can make an argument that the resources would be better spent supporting our marquee sports of MBB, WBB and Football.

Or.... just as I have argued in previous posts, dump football and fatten the budget for all other sports by 10% and still have plenty money left over to fully fund a soccer team (M) There would also be money to advance smaller capital projects with a budget that isn't as stretched.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFASawmillGuy
BigJack85 said:

It's hard for me to decide how I feel about SFA Baseball. On one hand I love the sport and I want us to succeed, on the flip side I can make an argument that the resources would be better spent supporting our marquee sports of MBB, WBB and Football.

Or.... just as I have argued in previous posts, dump football and fatten the budget for all other sports by 10% and still have plenty money left over to fully fund a soccer team (M) There would also be money to advance smaller capital projects with a budget that isn't as stretched.

If we want to grow SFA as a whole, we don't need to drop anything. If we did, baseball makes the most sense, but that's really the only sport that makes any kind of sense at all to drop.
BigJack85
SFA_03 said:

BigJack85 said:

If we want to grow SFA as a whole, we don't need to drop anything. If we did, baseball makes the most sense, but that's really the only sport that makes any kind of sense at all to drop.

People refuse to believe it but there is a mountain of litigation coming regarding football head injuries. The earlier we depart football the less exposure to the massive insurance expense.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

I laughed out loud.

I'm laughing with you...

The writers of these stories on the Athletics site must have gotten their Journalism degrees from the University of Everybody Gets a Trophy.
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

SFA_03 said:

BigJack85 said:

People refuse to believe it but there is a mountain of litigation coming regarding football head injuries. The earlier we depart football the less exposure to the massive insurance expense.

Ya, it'll be insurance costs that kill football. I'll see if I can find the article on it.
KirkHeath12
Wish they could find a broadcaster for the SFA baseball games and broadcast online. The facebook video feed is awful.
Class of 2012
Axe Em
PurpleOut
Staff
KirkHeath12 said:

Wish they could find a broadcaster for the SFA baseball games and broadcast online. The facebook video feed is awful.
It's better than nothing, but I agree. I think it's mainly the location/facilities, running cables and everything.
Jacks4460
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

SFAJack_76 said:

I laughed out loud.

I'm laughing with you...

The writers of these stories on the Athletics site must have gotten their Journalism degrees from the University of Everybody Gets a Trophy.
so true...
SFAJack_76
KirkHeath12 said:

The mother of one of the pitchers from Arizona was in town for the Army series. She commented how much different it was watching in person compared to the poor Facebook feed. She did say that it was better than nothing.
TallTexan
You know, the other day I was thinking it'd be pretty cool if we could setup a student radio broadcast of our games
(football, basketball, baseball, soccer, etc) in Spanish.

Feel like that could be a great way to win some new fans & give our comm kids a place to show off their talents if bilingual.

Doesn't help the Facebook feed, but seems like it'd be a cool project.
SFAJack_76
Through three

SLU 1/3/0
SFA 1/2/0

Slow coming crowd. Decent SLU support.
PurpleOut
Staff
Lost 5-1. That's 3 in a row now.

Luckily Sam and UCA also lost tonight. Need tomorrow and Sunday.
SFAJack_76
PurpleOut said:

Luckily Sam and UCA also lost tonight. Need tomorrow and Sunday.
We had good chances to score in both of the last two innings, but could not get the clutch hit. Palmer pitched well. SLU starter was better.

Need a quality start from Covington tomorrow.
SFA Jack Fanatic
PurpleOut said:

But according to the game's story headline on the Athletics website, "Vasquez Raps Two Doubles, Palmer Works 6 2/3 Friday Against Southeast Louisiana". So maybe we didn't lose after all...
SFAJack_76
Most significant is moving Daley out of the lead off position. He has really been struggling.
SFAJack_76
Covington with his second bad start in a row. Down 7-1 with SLU still batting top fifth with no outs.
SFAJack_76
Down 7-3 after eight. Kubo retired 12 of the 13 batters he faced in relief. Probably headline worthy.
PurpleOut
Staff
11-3 the final today. With the Sam series coming up, we could go from undefeated to below .500 really quick.
BigJack85
Need some pitching....
SFAJack_76
BigJack85 said:

Need some pitching....
And hitting. Can't string hits together. Both yesterday and today, there were good scoring opportunities that got away because of having no clutch hits.

Two of our best pitchers, Gamez and Rodriguez, haven't pitched in the series because we can't score, so are too far behind too soon. Today, Covington gave up a big inning. Kubo came in with bases loaded and no outs, and shut them down for four innings. Hearn had a terrible 0.2 ninth inning. Defense was really good today, particularly Vasquez at third.

SLU is really good. Their Sunday starter has not been good. Tomorrow is an opportunity.
SFAJack_76
DH has one job in the game. It is not to strike out looking with the bases loaded and two outs.
SFAJack_76
SFA up 2-1 after five.. Stobart did not pitch well, but gutted through a 94 pitch, five inning outing. Now it's up to the bullpen.
SFASawmillGuy
PurpleOut said:

11-3 the final today. With the Sam series coming up, we could go from undefeated to below .500 really quick.

Honestly though hasn't this been the most SFA baseball season ever to this point? We have runs where we look outstanding, and then periods where we can't buy a hit and look completely inept pitching.
SFAJack_76
Jacks win!
SFAJack_76
At 8-4 in SLC, the Jacks are in a four way tie for second place, one game behind Sam. The next five are non-conference games, including a trip to California to face UCSB. Next SLC series is against Sam in Nacogdoches.
BigJack85
A couple of solid conference outings from our pitching staff may put us back on track.
SFAJack_76
Four SLC series down, six to go. If I had been offered second place, one game out of first at this stage of the season a few weeks ago, I would have jumped all over it. For what it is worth, some observations. (Be very clear, I have exactly zero inside information.)

This team is very thin. Both pitching and hitting. This really shows up in mid week games, particularly against quality teams like TCU and UH. No doubt some of the lack of depth is the challenges in recruiting. Some is guys, new and returning, not performing up to expectations/capabilities.

Starting pitching..
It is apparent that Sgambelluri was expected to be a weekend starter. He failed miserably in early season starts. Nearly all of his relief appearances have also been bad. His ERA is over ten. Palmer is solid. He throws strikes. Tough competitor. He gets hit hard when he pitches from behind. Covington is a freshman from small school Center, Texas. He lost time early in the season with the flu. His last two starts have been rough. Body language tells me he needs to get a little more bulldog mentality, and confidence. Probably nobody expected Stobart to be a starter, much less a Sunday starter. His posted bio does not mention pitching stats at all from his Juco years. He is a battler. Today, 94 pitches in five innings. Only 51 strikes, but he kept fighting and the defense was solid behind him, when they got the chance.

Relief pitching
Gamez, Rodriguez, Grabowske, Adams, and Roth are good to very good. Starks can get an out or two as he did to get the save today. But, I am uncomfortable when he comes in the game. Beyond those guys, not much. Kubo is a dilemma. He gets pounded one game, then he goes four innings in relief facing one over the minimum as he did yesterday.

Defense is generally adequate. Three errors like today is an exception. One was a throwing error by Clowers at SS on a ground ball that many don't even get to. Another was a throwing error by Vasquez at 3B. First baseman had to stretch. He strongly thought he stayed on the bag. Umpire disagreed.

Hitting.
Josh Campbell (Junior) began the season as a starter either in the outfield or as DH. After hitting .313 last season, this season he is batting .148. Cardenas moved him around the lineup to keep him in to work his way out of it. Hasn't happened, so he sits on the weekend. With someone like this pencilled in as a starter fails, you move down a thin roster. Freshman Uhse in RF is a fun player to watch both defensively and at the plate. LF Jared Martin was solid as a freshman. He is in a bit of a slump right now. Vasquez at 3B is one of the hottest hitters on the team. He hit the ball hard nearly every time up today, but right at someone. Daley at CF is the lead off guy. He was struggling at the plate. Cardenas moved him down in the order yesterday and he went 3 for 3. Back to lead off today and he responded. Both catchers are adequate defensively. Neither hits well although Huber is better. Hitting overall is simply too inconsistent right now. They seldom get the clutch, two out hits. Today, in four of our eight innings, a man was left on third base. Leaving too many runs on base.

This team appears to get along well, and be very supportive of each other. Cardenas is battling his butt off. He had personal one on ones with each of the three umps today. He didn't show any of them up, but I an confident he made his points.

For what it is worth.
PurpleOut
Staff
SFAJack_76 said:

Four SLC series down, six to go. If I had been offered second place, one game out of first at this stage of the season a few weeks ago, I would have jumped all over it. For what it is worth, some observations. (Be very clear, I have exactly zero inside information.)

This team is very thin. Both pitching and hitting. This really shows up in mid week games, particularly against quality teams like TCU and UH. No doubt some of the lack of depth is the challenges in recruiting. Some is guys, new and returning, not performing up to expectations/capabilities.

Starting pitching..
It is apparent that Sgambelluri was expected to be a weekend starter. He failed miserably in early season starts. Nearly all of his relief appearances have also been bad. His ERA is over ten. Palmer is solid. He throws strikes. Tough competitor. He gets hit hard when he pitches from behind. Covington is a freshman from small school Center, Texas. He lost time early in the season with the flu. His last two starts have been rough. Body language tells me he needs to get a little more bulldog mentality, and confidence. Probably nobody expected Stobart to be a starter, much less a Sunday starter. His posted bio does not mention pitching stats at all from his Juco years. He is a battler. Today, 94 pitches in five innings. Only 51 strikes, but he kept fighting and the defense was solid behind him, when they got the chance.

Relief pitching
Gamez, Rodriguez, Grabowske, Adams, and Roth are good to very good. Starks can get an out or two as he did to get the save today. But, I am uncomfortable when he comes in the game. Beyond those guys, not much. Kubo is a dilemma. He gets pounded one game, then he goes four innings in relief facing one over the minimum as he did yesterday.

Defense is generally adequate. Three errors like today is an exception. One was a throwing error by Clowers at SS on a ground ball that many don't even get to. Another was a throwing error by Vasquez at 3B. First baseman had to stretch. He strongly thought he stayed on the bag. Umpire disagreed.

Hitting.
Josh Campbell (Junior) began the season as a starter either in the outfield or as DH. After hitting .313 last season, this season he is batting .148. Cardenas moved him around the lineup to keep him in to work his way out of it. Hasn't happened, so he sits on the weekend. With someone like this pencilled in as a starter fails, you move down a thin roster. Freshman Uhse in RF is a fun player to watch both defensively and at the plate. LF Jared Martin was solid as a freshman. He is in a bit of a slump right now. Vasquez at 3B is one of the hottest hitters on the team. He hit the ball hard nearly every time up today, but right at someone. Daley at CF is the lead off guy. He was struggling at the plate. Cardenas moved him down in the order yesterday and he went 3 for 3. Back to lead off today and he responded. Both catchers are adequate defensively. Neither hits well although Huber is better. Hitting overall is simply too inconsistent right now. They seldom get the clutch, two out hits. Today, in four of our eight innings, a man was left on third base. Leaving too many runs on base.

This team appears to get along well, and be very supportive of each other. Cardenas is battling his butt off. He had personal one on ones with each of the three umps today. He didn't show any of them up, but I an confident he made his points.

For what it is worth.
Good notes, thanks.

Hoping we can get a big turnout for the Sam series. I'm assuming Sam will bring a lot of fans, so it'd be nice if we purchased all of the tickets.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

For what it is worth.

GREAT summary, 76. Thanks!
PurpleOut
Staff
BigJack85
Purple,

So your thinking the tickets for Saturday will be gone soon...

Ok then, I should get on that like right now.

Axe "Em Jacks.
PurpleOut
Staff
BigJack85 said:

Purple,

So your thinking the tickets for Saturday will be gone soon...

Ok then, I should get on that like right now.

Axe "Em Jacks.
Eh, I don't think they'll necessarily be gone, more of just a ploy to get the general public to buy now leaving fewer tickets for Sam fans.

It's also Alumni Member day, so we can get free tickets. However those are probably GA tickets, and you can buy reserved seats behind the plate and out of the sun. As well as a free outfield view on the uhaul*. ">

*Will probably have to limit the amount of people on top of the uhaul at one time.
BigJack85
I'm all for UHaul.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

*Will probably have to limit the amount of people on top of the uhaul at one time.

In today's headlines, a raucous group of SFA fans collapsed the top of a Uhaul.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.