2019 Ladyjack Softball

70,993 Views | 373 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFAJack_76
Ladyjacks finish the sweep with a rain delayed 7-0 win.
SFAJack_76
After today, the Ladyjacks are in a tie with SLU for fourth place. The next series is at ACU which is tied for last with UIW. Need another sweep.
SFAJack_76
We have a respected coaching staff.
SFAJack_76
This is kind of a big deal. Look at the schools represented.
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
Ladyjacks scratch out a 2-1 game one win in Abilene. Wilbur really struggled to throw strikes. 144 total pitches with only 78 strikes.
SFAJack_76
Kriesel has her own challenges throwing strikes with seven walks, but gets the run support to take the game two win 10-3. Ladyjacks now 14-6 in SLC play.
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
Going into a bad loss category, the Ladyjacks lose to last place ACU 6-5 in nine. We had a 5-2 lead, two outs, one on, bottom sixth, and couldn't finish. Kriesel ends up with the loss, although Wilbur let the lead get away. Too many pitches, too many balls. By both.

Big weekend series coming up at home against NSU after a mid week at ULM.
BigJack85
I think the Sam Houston series will be HUGE. If I could get some support , I would anchor a tailgating effort.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
I just looked at the box score from last night. In 5.2 innings, Wilbur faced 31 batters, and walked 10. That won't beat a good team, which ULM is not. I wonder if the freshman is wearing down. It's a long season, and she has thrown a lot of pitches. Dickson is also the pitching coach. It will be interesting to see how she handles it. Wilbur is still our best pitcher. Simply a concern at a critical part of the season, starting tomorrow.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

In 5.2 innings, Wilbur faced 31 batters, and walked 10. That won't beat a good team, which ULM is not. I wonder if the freshman is wearing down. It's a long season, and she has thrown a lot of pitches.

My thoughts exactly. 138 pitches in 5 2/3 innings last night is just one example. Remember when she threw about a bazillion pitches in a few games around the time they played A&M? I'm sure she has already thrown a lot more pitches this year than in any of her high school years, and they still have at least eight games to go. And she's not a real big girl to begin with.
SFAJack_76
Through three, Ladyjacks are up 1-0. Wilbur has walked two, given up one hit, and thrown 53 pitches.
SFAJack_76
Top fourth, Wilbur gives up a single to deep short and a no doubt HR. Ladyjacks with a two out nobody on rally in the bottom of the fifth for a 4-2 lead.
SFAJack_76
Another two out, nobody on rally plates two. Top seven, up 6-2.
SFAJack_76
6-3 final.
SFAJack_76
Corona with a 4 for 4 game raises her batting average to .403.

Wilbur threw 143 pitches with four walks, including lead off in the seventh, and ten K's.

NSU is young. Three seniors and five juniors on the roster. Good potential future.
SFAJack_76
Two out, nobody on, no problem. Corona with a sharp single followed by a two run shot by freshman Bennett.

After one, 2-0 good guys.
SFAJack_76
Kriesel with the complete game 5-1 win.
Softball junkie
Softball pitchers can throw a lot of pitches during a game. 138 pitches is not that much. You also have to to look at pitch selection as well. Throwing a ball every time when the count is 0-2 is a waste pitch that will add up. I also disagree that Wilbur is the best pitcher. Her and Kriesel's numbers are about the same when you break them down.
Softball junkie
Kriesel also pitched a good game today. To bad that girl does not get the same recognition as the others.
Softball junkie
I have to post about the games in albilene, the umps had a very tight strike zone and some of the pitches that were called balls were strikes. Our pitchers usually do not walk that many, but if you look at the games we're there a lot of walks by both, it's usually the umpires. Those girls will not throw down the middle
SFAJack_76
Welcome Softball Junkie. Look forward to your insight.

I don't disagree with your belief that Kriesel is the better pitcher right now. Although Wilbur's control yesterday was better, she has had struggles with the strike zone all season. Too many walks, but offsets that with a lot of strike outs. Different umpires have different strike zones. I think Kriesel, perhaps due to experience, does a better job of adjusting to the strike zone. My uneducated opinion.

Wish we had a solid third pitcher. Have not seen enough of Llinas to see if she can be this. Wondering why Anderson has not played this year. She gave us some solid innings last season.

The two out rallies yesterday were outstanding. Love the battle in this team.
SFAJack_76
Another big game today against NSU. Ladyjacks are currently in third place, a half game ahead of SLU and McNeese. It is important to finish in the top four for tournament seeding. The first morning of the SLC tournament is 5 vs 8, and 6 vs 7, in single elimination. The winners of those games play the 4 and 3 seeds that afternoon in double elimination. The 1 and 2 seeds start play in day two. I never want to be in a single elimination situation.

The tournament is in Natchitoches. I look forward to the day that SFA has a facility that is good enough to host. Whenever that may be..
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

Another big game today against NSU.

Who do you think will start in the circle today? Wilbur and Kriesel sharing the load?
Softball junkie
Wilbur will always pitch 1 & 3. Wilbur had good control today. Just because a pitch is high or off the plate and low, does not mean either pitcher has no control. The girls are throwing at a location where Dickson wants. To us, we are going Bad pitch.
SFAJack_76
Softball junkie said:

Wilbur will always pitch 1 & 3. Wilbur had good control today. Just because a pitch is high or off the plate and low, does not mean either pitcher has no control. The girls are throwing at a location where Dickson wants. To us, we are going Bad pitch.
Wilbur will start today for sure, with Kriesel ready if needed.

Wilbur walked 10 of the 31 batters she faced at ULM. That was on her, not where Dickson wants her to pitch. Wilbur was much better yesterday, aside from walking the first batter of the game.

Speaking of the first batter, yesterday the NSU lead off batter intentionally wiped out the front line of the batters box before the first pitch of the game. Dickson talked to the home plate ump. He gathered up the other two umps, but nothing was done. She did the same thing before the start of game two, and the home plate ump called a strike before a pitch was thrown. NSU coach was not happy. No doubt she has been doing it all season. I wonder what the rule is? At best, it seems unsportsmanlike to me. The players mom was sitting about ten feet from us, so I managed my comments accordingly.
Softball junkie
That's why he was mad, I was wondering. Several hit batters yesterday and I did not see any of our girls leaning into the pitch. I would also like to see a 3rd pitcher as well. I know one girl had a hurt back, Llinas is good and should be used as a reliever. Dickson should have alternate the series between Kriesel and Wilbur during the season, that will save Wilbur's arm and fatigue. Looking at Kriesel's stats from Juco, she has pitched 200 plus innings in both years. Just hope Wilbur is condition enough the rest of the season
SFAJack_76
The hbp thing yesterday was nuts. Some the ump would make stay at home, while others went to first. Terribly inconsistent.

Season to date, Wilbur has the second most innings pitched in the conference, the most walks, and the most K's. That all adds up to a lot of pitches for anyone, much less an 18/19 year old freshman.

Must be Anderson with the back issue. She wasn't great last season, but I think she would have been a solid third this season. Pitching staff could be pretty salty next season.
SFAJack_76
Three fourths of our starting infield included.

SFAJack_76
Kriesel with the start in the circle. Shows how much I know. Agree with the decision.
SFAJack_76
Corona with a season record tying twelfth HR. One on. 2-0 after one.
SFAJack_76
NSU with a solo lead off top four, and Kriesel works around a couple of singles. Ladyjacks get two on nobody out in bottom half and can't execute on two bunt attempts. 2-1 after four.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.