2024-2025 Lumberjack Basketball

12,801 Views | 149 Replies | Last: 18 hrs ago by Jacks1989
No-look
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's my nature to defend coaches because of what transpires in that world. Most fans don't have a clue to that world. There are also times when a change needs to happen. I want Keller to succeed. I think this year will shed more light on the matter. Injuries (I know it's been repeated too often) can be a major setback to a season. Keller is the coach as of now and I'm looking for a good successful year. Coach of the year would be nice… we shall see…
nacluth
I'm away on a work trip, so I'm not going to be able to stay on top of moderation until this evening, so I'm going to close the thread until then.

At this point, the arguments have been stated and restated and nothing new is being added currently. In the future, I don't care if you want to keep restating your positions, however let's remember a couple things:

The fans on this board support SFA and its players regardless their positions.

Posters can hold their personal opinions on topics - pro-Keller/anti-Keller for example - but there's no need to attack someone for holding their positions.

For the most part, no one discussing these arguments have any power directly to change the outcomes.

Also, if you are a single issue poster, you may not get the leeway other posters who have been part of this community for a while will. It's fine to post and engage. Lecturing and berating is frowned upon regardless of which side you're on.

Let's use our support for SFA in ways that encourage dialogue.

Thanks.
nacluth
The thread is back open. There's no need to call out fellow posters. Also, you can ignore individual posters and you won't see their posts. Feel free to use that feature if you want.

Be civil please.
Jacks1989
I put together a list of everyone that I could find that SFA has contacted. O Conner and Muttlib have committed to other teams.

Justin Johnson - Putnam Academy
Brent Moss - Barton College
Lajae Jones - Barton College
Roger McFarlane - SE Louisiana
Chase Forte - Northwestern St
Trey Moss - William & Mary
Brayden O Conner - UMass Lowell
Rodney Brown - California
Jose Cuello - Sequoias MBB
Kylen Milton - Ark Pine Bluff
Muttlib -Kilgore
Amarion Dickerson - Mineral Area Juco
BigJack85
Jacks1989 said:

I put together a list of everyone that I could find that SFA has contacted. O Conner and Muttlib have committed to other teams.

Justin Johnson - Putnam Academy
Brent Moss - Barton College
Lajae Jones - Barton College
Roger McFarlane - SE Louisiana
Chase Forte - Northwestern St
Trey Moss - William & Mary
Brayden O Conner - UMass Lowell
Rodney Brown - California
Jose Cuello - Sequoias MBB
Kylen Milton - Ark Pine Bluff
Muttlib -Kilgore

Chase Forte looks a lot like our ideal type of guard (statistically at least) I don't think he can get downhill as quick as AJ, but looks like a more consistent shooter.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
Jacks1989
4 more that SFA has contacted.

Robert Jennings - Texas Tech
Joshua Jefferson - St Mary's
Maurice Odom - Pacific
Kylin Green - Daytona State
Jacks1989
https://dscfalcons.com/sports/mbkb/2023-24/players/kylingreenpnpp

Kylin Green played PG at Daytona State. Averaged 13.7 ppg. Shot over 50% from the field. Daytona was 28-4 on the year. Played high school ball at Lewisville. Interesting prospect.
No-look
Jacks1989 said:

https://dscfalcons.com/sports/mbkb/2023-24/players/kylingreenpnpp

Kylin Green played PG at Daytona State. Averaged 13.7 ppg. Shot over 50% from the field. Daytona was 28-4 on the year. Played high school ball at Lewisville. Interesting prospect.
. Looks like a good prospect. According to his twitter page he has six offers. Sienna, Sam and Robert Mortis and three others. Hope we're pursuing
Jacks1989
What I like the most is he ran the point for a 28-4 team and he shot over 50%.
FBK_Lumberjack
55% from three is impressive. Granted it doesn't look like he shot it much, but would be great to have that sort of shooting at the PG spot again.
SCH890
Looks like we just picked up a great SG.

More on 24/7 Page
https://247sports.com/player/chris-johnson-46104194/

https://instagr.am/p/C6FDyRbvzKN
Jacks1989
Boom!
Jacks1989
No-look
That's a good pickup. He just needs to see the floor.
SCH890
No-look said:

That's a good pickup. He just needs to see the floor.
I would say he has the highest celling to prove himself. After being highly sought out after highschool. Hopefully he works on his 3PT shooting and we are golden.
TallTexan
Top 60? In the country?
Jacks1989
Ranked #44 in ESPNs final rankings.

https://texassports.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/chris-johnson/13266
BigJack85
Solid addition. Should see significant time.

Axe 'Em Jacks
SFA Jack Fanatic
Previously had committed to Kansas before going to Texas. Played at Montverde Academy in Florida (ranked #1 HS in the country at the time), and led them in assists.

Also had offers out of HS from Alabama, UConn, Houston, Arkansas, Georgia, Tennessee, Memphis, Ole Miss, and UCLA.

He is a protegee of former UT great TJ Ford. "He's the ultimate competitor. He'll do anything a coach wants on the floor. He's a high-calibre player. He just knows how to compete." ~ TJ Ford

Great add. Now, get his signature on the dotted line.
purpleballs
How did we pull this off? Does he have any friends who can play?
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Previously had committed to Kansas before going to Texas. Played at Montverde Academy in Florida (ranked #1 HS in the country at the time), and led them in assists.

Also had offers out of HS from Alabama, UConn, Houston, Arkansas, Georgia, Tennessee, Memphis, Ole Miss, and UCLA.

He is a protegee of former UT great TJ Ford. "He's the ultimate competitor. He'll do anything a coach wants on the floor. He's a high-calibre player. He just knows how to compete." ~ TJ Ford

Great add. Now, get his signature on the dotted line.

I like the TJ Ford connection.
SFAXE93
"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
SFAXE93

https://sfajacks.com/news/2024/4/23/mens-basketball-lumberjack-basketball-welcomes-keon-johnson-to-sfa

G: KEON THOMPSON 6-0 Merrillville, Indiana (Hargrave Military Academy (VA.)/UMass)

2023-24 (Sophomore)
  • Set new single-game career highs in points (21), rebounds (9), steals (3) and field goals made (7).
  • Consistently served as primary on-ball defender including holding All-Conference selection James Bishop IV to eight points (1/20/24) and four points (2/27/24) in two matchups.
  • Helped Massachusetts hold Atlantic 10 Co-Player of The Year Jordan King to just 11 points on 3-11 shooting from the field in a 69-59 victory over Richmond (2/14/24).
  • Ranked no. 3 in the A-10 in assist-to-turnover ratio (2.5) during the regular season.
  • Recorded 15 double-digit scoring performances, including seven straight from Jan. 20 - Feb. 14.
  • Scored a career-high 21 points vs. Siena (12/30/23), shooting 7-12 from the field.
  • Scored 19 points against Towson (12/06/23), all coming in the second half.

2022-23 (Freshman):
  • Appeared in 30 games with nine starts for the Minutemen
  • Averaged 5.8 points, 2.0 rebounds, and 2.7 assists per game
  • Scored 10 points and added five boards and three assists in season opener against Central Connecticut State (11/7)
  • Posted a then career-high 13 points in a win over UAlbany (12/5)
  • Set a career-high with 12 assists against Davidson (2/4), becoming one of three players in the A-10 to record 12 or more assists in a single game during the 2022-23 season
  • Scored a career-high 15 points to go along with six rebounds and five assists in a win at Rhode Island (2/18).

Before UMass:
  • Wrapped up prep career at Hargrave Military Academy in Chatham, Va.
  • Named a second-team prep school all-American
  • Scored over 2,000 points during his high school and prep career
  • Averaged 31 points, 10 rebounds, and two assists at Merrillville High School during the 2019-20 season
  • Merrillville's all-time leading scorer with 1,353 points in three seasons
  • Set single season school record for points with 706 and set single game scoring record with 52 points.

"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
nacluth
Looks like another great pickup on paper. Point guard material.
SCH890
nacluth said:

Looks like another great pickup on paper. Point guard material.

I agree. Looks like a solid all around player.
No-look
SFAXE93 said:

https://sfajacks.com/news/2024/4/23/mens-basketball-lumberjack-basketball-welcomes-keon-johnson-to-sfa

G: KEON THOMPSON 6-0 Merrillville, Indiana (Hargrave Military Academy (VA.)/UMass)

2023-24 (Sophomore)
  • Set new single-game career highs in points (21), rebounds (9), steals (3) and field goals made (7).
  • Consistently served as primary on-ball defender including holding All-Conference selection James Bishop IV to eight points (1/20/24) and four points (2/27/24) in two matchups.
  • Helped Massachusetts hold Atlantic 10 Co-Player of The Year Jordan King to just 11 points on 3-11 shooting from the field in a 69-59 victory over Richmond (2/14/24).
  • Ranked no. 3 in the A-10 in assist-to-turnover ratio (2.5) during the regular season.
  • Recorded 15 double-digit scoring performances, including seven straight from Jan. 20 - Feb. 14.
  • Scored a career-high 21 points vs. Siena (12/30/23), shooting 7-12 from the field.
  • Scored 19 points against Towson (12/06/23), all coming in the second half.

2022-23 (Freshman):
  • Appeared in 30 games with nine starts for the Minutemen
  • Averaged 5.8 points, 2.0 rebounds, and 2.7 assists per game
  • Scored 10 points and added five boards and three assists in season opener against Central Connecticut State (11/7)
  • Posted a then career-high 13 points in a win over UAlbany (12/5)
  • Set a career-high with 12 assists against Davidson (2/4), becoming one of three players in the A-10 to record 12 or more assists in a single game during the 2022-23 season
  • Scored a career-high 15 points to go along with six rebounds and five assists in a win at Rhode Island (2/18).

Before UMass:
  • Wrapped up prep career at Hargrave Military Academy in Chatham, Va.
  • Named a second-team prep school all-American
  • Scored over 2,000 points during his high school and prep career
  • Averaged 31 points, 10 rebounds, and two assists at Merrillville High School during the 2019-20 season
  • Merrillville's all-time leading scorer with 1,353 points in three seasons
  • Set single season school record for points with 706 and set single game scoring record with 52 points.

. Looks quick and can get the bucket. Can score and create shots for teammates. Looks like a great pickup.
No-look
The school write up says Johnson. They may want to change that?
Jacks1989
Great signing. They need to fix that fast!
Jacks1989
Going to miss Latrell shooting those deep 3s!

SFA Jack Fanatic
His great defense may have something to do with his 6'7" wingspan. Unusual for a 6'1" guard.

And as you said, he appears to be extremely fast driving to the hoop.
BigJack85
In short order:
1. Shooter - Big Guard - Chris Johnson
2. Point Guard - Keon Thompson
3. Christmas Comes Early - Chrishawn Christmas
Jacks1989
Need another point guard and also a big. We only have 2 true bigs with size. Nana and Southwick. If one goes down it could get ugly. Need more depth there.
BigJack85
Jacks1989 said:

Need another point guard and also a big. We only have 2 true bigs with size. Nana and Southwick. If one goes down it could get ugly. Need more depth there.

True dat!
SCH890
Jacks1989 said:

Southwick needs to control the ball and more and not give up as many TOs. He always seems like a deer in the headlights when he gets the ball.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SCH890 said:

Jacks1989 said:

Southwick needs to control the ball and more and not give up as many TOs. He always seems like a deer in the headlights when he gets the ball.

Nana and Southwick both go AWOL for stretches of time during games.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.