2024-2025 Lumberjack Basketball

11,361 Views | 142 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by No-look
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
nacluth
Season starts now? Seems a little early, but I'm here for it. We're going to need some major help to be competitive this year. Let's see who we can get.
No-look
nacluth said:

Season starts now? Seems a little early, but I'm here for it. We're going to need some major help to be competitive this year. Let's see who we can get.
The Calvary is on the way! Right?
BigJack85
I wouldn't have said this around March 15th, but with Christmas, Jenkins, Hayman, Nana and Stone returning I feel like we have a nucleus to build on.

A couple of point guards that can really control the pace (AJ) and a wing that can score from outside would give us a solid lineup.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
nacluth
Any of those guys can have a great game here and there. Christmas is a fantastic defensive player that can really change games. Hayman and Nana are solid starters, the other two role players for now. We have to find a couple offensive killers. Right now we don't have someone to shoulder the load. Finding that person or people is critical.
BigJack85
nacluth said:

Any of those guys can have a great game here and there. Christmas is a fantastic defensive player that can really change games. Hayman and Nana are solid starters, the other two role players for now. We have to find a couple offensive killers. Right now we don't have someone to shoulder the load. Finding that person or people is critical.
Ya. That's what I'm thinking with a wing player that can compliment Hayman. Christmas needs to pick up his offensive game. Defensively, he gives us one of the best defensive small forwards in the league (IMO).

Comparing us to many of our WAC brethren, I feel like we have at least as many returning pieces as most of the WAC.
Jacks1989
Don't forget about Southwick. Hopefully we can land those 2 juco kids they offered. Muttilib (Kilgore) and Jones (Barton). Also need 2 point guards.
SFAXE93
SFA BASKETBALL (MEN) 2024-2025

F:#22 NANA ANTWI-BOASIAKO 6-9 (SR.)
F:#23 CLAYTON SOUTHWICK 6-8 (SR.)
F:#32 JUHLAWNEI STONE 6-6 (SR.)
G/F:#11 CHRISHAWN CHRISTMAS 6-5 (JR.)
G:#1 KYLE HAYMAN 6-5 (SR.)
G:#0 MYLES JENKINS 6-4 (SR.)
G:#2 DAEVEON SCOTT 6-3 (SO.)
G:#14 LUKE STANSBURY 6-2 (SO.)
G:#3 ETHAN MAYES 6-0 (JR.)
G:#12 JAXSON SHELDON 5-11 (SO.)

HEAD COACH - KYLE KELLER (9TH SEASON)
ASSOCIATE HEAD COACH - TONY JASICK (4TH SEASON)
ASSISTANT COACH - JEAN PRIOLEAU (2ND SEASON)
ASSISTANT COACH - DALLAS CAMERON (3RD SEASON)
S&C COACH - SAM DAOUST (2ND SEASON)
ASSOCIATE ATHLETIC TRAINER - ADIL ELHADDAD (2ND SEASON)
DIRECTOR OF BASKETBALL OPERATIONS - JAMAAL SCOTT (2ND SEASON)
GRADUATE ASSISTANT - BRADY MAST (3RD SEASON)
GRADUATE ASSISTANT - BRAXTON HAYNES (2ND SEASON)

Need to bring in at least 5 more players
nacluth
Did Daeveon come back? And the final three are just walk in's who may or may not be back. 6 scholarship players. We have room for 7 more and we need them.
Jacks1989
I'm thinking the same thing. Probably going to pickup 6 or 7 more kids. We need shooters.
SFAXE93
Yes at least 1 maybe 2 more bigs, a pure point guard, and at least 2 pure shooters, we need a Demetrious Floyd or a Deshaunt Walker type player who can go off at any time.
Jacks1989

12.6 ppg, 6.4 rbg
wahlwesle
https://www.dailysentinel.com/sports/keller-were-going-to-be-patient/article_e7ca8c2b-2349-5561-a43c-97e7e1edce9b.html?fbclid=IwAR0VX7rjg5mi4uphc6bad9ROA7Aw0jUPxOQI4g56L8Bhmi0fuw07c68QcIc_aem_AWQHQw1ZTEhEMYq1Ty-TxCYPZ78-zYdIJ6E9tQW2u4clmtx1w7YTuSo6yC_KOYaS2oI
No-look
wahlwesle said:

https://www.dailysentinel.com/sports/keller-were-going-to-be-patient/article_e7ca8c2b-2349-5561-a43c-97e7e1edce9b.html?fbclid=IwAR0VX7rjg5mi4uphc6bad9ROA7Aw0jUPxOQI4g56L8Bhmi0fuw07c68QcIc_aem_AWQHQw1ZTEhEMYq1Ty-TxCYPZ78-zYdIJ6E9tQW2u4clmtx1w7YTuSo6yC_KOYaS2oI
I'm getting excited already. Watching those highlights he's a player!
SFA Jack Fanatic
What highlights?
No-look
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

What highlights?
sorry. They are on his twitter feed.
No-look
Keller mentioned that three are seven scholarships to fill and they need to be impact players. Just curious to see who we go after. Need two point guards for sure? Sounds like they are approaching this year more carefully.
SCH890
wahlwesle said:

Honestly not a fan of Keller in this article. I get the logic behind being Patient but just a bad way to put it. He mentioned 75% are coming back but we only 6 out of I think max 13? I guess that's more 50%ish. We still lost a big chunk of players especially a lot of our main starters.

Fingers crossed he makes a slam dunk this signing season cause I still think he is in the hot seat. Regardless of the excuse of NIL.
BigJack85
SCH890 said:

wahlwesle said:

Honestly not a fan of Keller in this article. I get the logic behind being Patient but just a bad way to put it. He mentioned 75% are coming back but we only 6 out of I think max 13? I guess that's more 50%ish. We still lost a big chunk of players especially a lot of our main starters.

Fingers crossed he makes a slam dunk this signing season cause I still think he is in the hot seat. Regardless of the excuse of NIL.

He needs a 20+ win season. Competing for a title.
SCH890
BigJack85 said:

SCH890 said:

wahlwesle said:

He needs a 20+ win season. Competing for a title.
I agree. He's still on my hot seat.
Jackincharge
When we get a new AD do yall think he will take a long look at getting out from under this disastrously mediocre Men's Basketball coach? Record is horrible / roster management is horrendous / financial commitment to that program outweighs the actual production ! IMO
No-look
Negative post like this is more detrimental to the program.
SFA Jack Fanatic
This guy uses his FIRST POST on the Sawmill as an opportunity to attack the MBB program and Coach Keller. Your total negativity is not appreciated. Go back to doing whatever you were doing before you suddenly discovered this website.
Jackincharge
At least yall didn't deny that there is a significant issue ! Sorry it has to be said .. dude sucks .. time to stop drinking the kool aid and being sheep.. there are tons of brilliant coaches out there that could do more with less than this jackass. Yall got to wake up and take an honest look at this instead of letting him butter all yall up with the excuses. Most coaches don't make a career of being at a mid major (outside of d hump.. who is phenomenal by the way).
SCH890
Jackincharge said:

At least yall didn't deny that there is a significant issue ! Sorry it has to be said .. dude sucks .. time to stop drinking the kool aid and being sheep.. there are tons of brilliant coaches out there that could do more with less than this jackass. Yall got to wake up and take an honest look at this instead of letting him butter all yall up with the excuses. Most coaches don't make a career of being at a mid major (outside of d hump.. who is phenomenal by the way).
I think we all know there is an issue therefore he's on the Hot seat. We all were lucky to watch Underwood take SFA consistently to the big dance now its getting harder to do so. If Keller under performs this year I think he's gone at the end of the year. Our biggest worry should be if the new AD actually will have the guts to do it.
BigJack85
SCH890 said:

Jackincharge said:

I think we all know there is an issue therefore he's on the Hot seat. We all were lucky to watch Underwood take SFA consistently to the big dance now its getting harder to do so. If Keller under performs this year I think he's gone at the end of the year. Our biggest worry should be if the new AD actually will have the guts to do it.

The issue is not all Keller and anyone that cannot see the dynamics of : 1. Conference Realignment 2. NIL 3. Student well being, shouldn't be making simplistic commentary.
ServiceJack88
Being "patient" is getting old really quickly. Is Keller standing by on recruiting as he continues to shop himself for a P5 assistant job?
No-look
Keller can win if the talent is there. Covid year 28-3. Would have most likely went a couple rounds deep if given the opportunity. I believe this year will be a good year. You get the right combination of players baring injuries and we will see a difference.
ServiceJack88
No-look said:

Keller can win if the talent is there. Covid year 28-3. Would have most likely went a couple rounds deep if given the opportunity. I believe this year will be a good year. You get the right combination of players baring injuries and we will see a difference.
Every year we here the excuse "Keller can win with talent"." If only we didn't have injuries". Isn't Keller the one who is responsible of recruiting the right combination of players? Injuries happen but EVERY season we have a wild amount. What is the practice/conditioning program like? His job is to have the team ready.

From the inside, Keller is the problem. It goes way deeper than many can begin to imagine. If SFA had the money to buyout his contract he would be gone. Keller knows it to. That is why he is steadily shopping himself for a Assistant job at a P5 school. He doesn't care about a single person but himself. I can't stress enough that he is putting on a show when he talks to donors. Your only as good as the last donation. There are several donors who are starting to see this as well. Donors that have an impact on NIL.

There have been several individuals that were on staff in the past few years that have left and confirmed some information in regards to behind the scenes. While NIL may play a big part in the recruiting world, word of mouth does as well. SFA MBB is tainted and its frankly embarrassing! Hopefully Dr. Weaver and the soon to be new AD can collectively figure out a way to fix this.

Go ahead and tell me I am wrong and I know nothing, I will continue to tell it. There have been several of us on here that have mentioned the same thing. The glove may not have fit OJ but it damn well fits Keller!
No-look
This past season Keller stumped his toe on recruiting. All good players but didn't have a couple guys that could take over a game. That may be on him but hopefully he's in the business of fixing that.
Jackincharge
Verified word on the street is that has been happening for years so how bought in is he and are we seeing the fruits of his wandering eye affect the bottom line of success at SFA and for the program. There is no NIL for mid majors so that is a farce and that is just an excuse again! Conference realignment is probably the biggest detriment to his success but as an self proclaimed "elite" level recruiter he should have helped in this area but unfortunately what was happening in the Southland (mediocre record) is magnified in the WAC. He is not a good enough leader of young men to stand by and continue to waste time opportunities and funds IMO. Time to go!
Jackincharge
Keller won with an nba level talent in Kevon Harris and the COVID year in of itself and a horrible Southland conference as a whole.. sucks he missed the boat that year as he would have cashed in then but .. take away that elite talent and the great asst coaches he has run off and again he is just mediocre! Why does this dude make more money than our president and athletic director combined .. that is the question .. where is the return on the investment?
BigJack85
Jackincharge said:

Keller won with an nba level talent in Kevon Harris and the COVID year in of itself and a horrible Southland conference as a whole.. sucks he missed the boat that year as he would have cashed in then but .. take away that elite talent and the great asst coaches he has run off and again he is just mediocre! Why does this dude make more money than our president and athletic director combined .. that is the question .. where is the return on the investment?

JIC. You're just plain stupid. Ignorant.
AxeEm99
JIC, I personally think you are a tad bit off base on your comments about Keller, but I appreciate your perspective. Some of the others on this board like to slam people who dont agree with their opinions. The reason we are even in the boat we are in at SFA is because the "old, tired, conservative, this is the only way to do it, my opinion is always right" mentality is still alive and well in Nacogdoches!! I grew up in Huntsville and my dad was a prof at SH for 35 years. I watched this same mentality for the majority of my time growing up until the new President and Athletic Director finally decided to snap out of it and take some risk and make a plan!!! Now look where they are as a whole University including Athletics vs where we remain (stagnant)!!!
Even though I dont agree with your thoughts on Keller, keep expressing your opinion!! Who knows, maybe you are right...
Jackincharge
I'm sorry it's hard for you to quantify his actual meaning to the program so you claim ignorance as the issue but please show me success as a whole and the justification of his salary? His kids never graduate cause he runs them off .. has zero eye for talent .. or feel for how to coach kids once they end up on campus with his sadistical and brainwashing techniques he thinks actually work … all the while taking advantage of kids who have a dream of playing basketball ball at a high level for a program that has won at a high level until this dingbat got here. Do me a favor BIGJack .. ask the people who work with him if they stand by him? Not the sheep donors but the actual people who have to watch this comical coaching job play out day to day. I challenge you to find one (1) person who works with him day to day who would vouch for him and his character on any level. Try again big guy!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.