Katy Watch 2020

39,640 Views | 268 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SFAJack_76
Pilotgirl
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I was thinking maybe they could move the Spokane location...playing to empty gyms ugh. I don't see much of a difference between this and the flu, except no vaccines. Fingers crossed
RichieVan
Chicago State is so bad they should cancel their games to avoid embarrassment. 0-14 in conference, 4-25 overall with three non D-1 wins. And, for the geographically challenged, they play in the Western Athletic Conference.
djsfw57
Pilotgirl said:

I'm so confused lol
I'm so glad you said that. I was beginning to think it was just me... LOL
cboothe09
Here is a look at this week's schedules, along with the current seeding and records of everyone involved. Wednesday will be fun. Saturday will be madness with a lot of teams playing defacto playoff games.

Tuesday:
SFA 77 - ACU 72

Wednesday:
#4 SHSU (11-7) @ #9 AMCC (8-10)
#13 HBU (3-15) @ #10 UIW (6-12)
#6 McNeese (9-9) @ #2 Nicholls (14-5)
#11 UNO (4-14) @ #7 Northwestern State (9-9)
#8 UCA (9-9) @ #12 SLU (4-14)
Bye: Lamar

Saturday:
#13 HBU (3-15) @ #9 AMCC (8-10)
#3 ACU (14-5) @ #10 UIW (6-12)
#7 Northwestern State (9-9) @ #8 UCA (9-9)
#6 McNeese (9-9) @ #5 Lamar (9-9)
#12 SLU (4-14) @ #11 UNO (4-14)
#4 SHSU (11-7) @ #1 SFA (18-1)
Bye: Nicholls
nacluth
I'll post it here and over on the ticket thread, but this is literally Katy Watch material.

I bought the all-tournament package deal, but I won't be able to get to Katy until Friday when the Jacks start play. I have one ticket each for Wednesday's men's session, Thursday's women's and men's sessions if someone in the area would like to watch some free basketball. Please let me know, and I'll mail you the tickets.
SFAJack_76
PurpleOut said:

Pilotgirl said:

So what do yall think of this coronavirus interfering with March Madness? Games without fans?? That would really suck....
I hope nothing drastic happens in terms of cancelling games or playing in empty gems. But could definitely see a big issue for the regional in Spokane...just because it's "close" to the crap storm in Seattle.

I think it's definitely overblown some, in terms of danger for the average person. It's the elderly and young that are more at risk...of course just like the regular flu that can be very dangerous. But I still get it and get precautions.

Chicago State has canceled it's game vs Seattle U because of this already.
That would be 4-25 (0-14) Chicago State. They are getting close to cancelling athletics.
SFAJack_76
RichieVan said:

Chicago State is so bad they should cancel their games to avoid embarrassment. 0-14 in conference, 4-25 overall with three non D-1 wins. And, for the geographically challenged, they play in the Western Athletic Conference.
They won't be in the WAC much longer.
No-look
If we are fortunate enough the get to the title game, would Nicholls or ACU be the best matchup for us? Both scares me and both are capable of pulling off the upset.
cboothe09
The team that doesnt have a double bye is the best matchup...ACU is good, but I feel Nicholls is more of a matchup problem for us. Neither team are an easy out...
SFA Jack Fanatic
Nicholls is pounding McNeese just before halftime.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Nicholls beats McNeese 80-56. I just watched a bit of it on Facebook Live and there may have been 150 in attendance at Nicholls Pitiful. Southland Conference.
BigJack85
cboothe09 said:

The team that doesnt have a double bye is the best matchup...ACU is good, but I feel Nicholls is more of a matchup problem for us. Neither team are an easy out...

For some reason I see it just the other way. I think Golding makes better adjustments than any coach in the SLC. Also, there (ACU) 7'0" guy concerns me. If has a a really good night they're hard to beat. I'd rather have Nicholls face them, and win.
No-look
By the looks of some of the Southland scores tonight it appears that some of the teams have thrown in the towel.
cboothe09
Saturday will be fun...
Three teams at 9-10 playing for the last two spots (UCA, McNeese, Corpus)
Northwestern and Lamar are just a game back of Sam for the #4 seed.

I think Corpus ends up getting in. Lamar/Northwestern move into a tie with Sam.
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Nicholls beats McNeese 80-56. I just watched a bit of it on Facebook Live and there may have been 150 in attendance at Nicholls Pitiful. Southland Conference.
Nicholl's regular season is done, and they get the double bye. They don't play for nine days. Good or bad?
Pilotgirl
This conference is a joke.
PurpleOut
Staff
RichieVan said:

Because of our win at ACU, the Wildcats need help to get the double bye. If Nicholls beats McNeese at home today, they will get the double bye. Since they only played each other once during the season (an ACU win at home which, essentially, cancels consideration of that game), tiebreaker "C" applies, which is record against the teams each played twice. Those five teams in common are Sam, Lamar, UCA, Southeast LA and Houston Baptist. Both Nicholls and ACU went 9-1 against those teams. So, now, tiebreaker "D" is applied, which is the record for each team against the highest positioned team. The highest positioned team is Sam, and ACU split with Sam while Nicholls swept Sam.
ACU plays at UIW Saturday and they will know if they have a chance since Nicholls plays tonight.

What's crazy is it could go one step further if Lamar finishes 4th, but result would be the same. As both ACU and Nicholls swept Lamar, and then it would go down the line to the next team they both played twice...Sam.
nacluth
Tiebreaker procedures have finally been updated. #1 improvement is that if you play a team once and win the road game, you win the tiebreaker. If you win a home game, it doesn't count. That's better.

https://docs.google.com/viewerng/viewer?url=https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/southland.org/documents/2020/2/14/2019_20_SLC_BKB_Tournament_Tiebreakers.pdf&date=1581696270
PurpleOut
Staff
Well there's an update that I've NEVER heard, which involves tied teams being considered a single unit.

If NW St wins and Sam loses, they'd be 11-9 and considered a single unit at T4. Because ACU played NW St once, Nicholls' sweep of Sam wouldn't factor. In fact, if Sam loses at SFA and NW St wins at UCA (and ACU wins at UIW), ACU gets the 2. The league "confirmed" this to the ACU radio guy.
PurpleOut
Staff
Nicholls gets the 2 seed with ANY of the following:

ACU loss at UIW
Sam win at SFA
NW St loss at UCA

ACU gets the 2 seed with ALL of the following:

ACU win at UIW
Sam loss at SFA
NW St win at UCA
PurpleOut
Staff
The fact that ACU doesn't get the 2-seed by default by beating Nicholls is STUPID. Which is exactly what happened to us a few years ago. In what world should head to head not matter?

The Southland world.
SFA Jack Fanatic
PurpleOut said:

Nicholls gets the 2 seed with ANY of the following:

ACU loss at UIW
Sam win at SFA
NW St loss at UCA

ACU gets the 2 seed with ALL of the following:

ACU win at UIW
Sam loss at SFA
NW St win at UCA

This is utter STUPIDITY! Does ANY other conference have a convoluted system like this????
nacluth
What if Lamar wins? Do they come into the picture because they could end up 11-9 too if they beat McNeese.
nacluth
PurpleOut said:

The fact that ACU doesn't get the 2-seed by default by beating Nicholls is STUPID. Which is exactly what happened to us a few years ago. In what world should head to head not matter?

The Southland world.
It does now...if you're the road team. If you're the home team not so much. Though that single unit crap is junk. On the old tiebreakers, it said the worst seeds were settled first. That completely takes care of "single unit" problems.
RichieVan
Nicholls has wrapped up the 2 seed and the double bye. Tiebreaker 1: head to head does not apply since Nicholls lost on the road to ACU and that is the only game they played. Tiebreaker 2: record against teams ACU and Nicholls both played twice: Each had a record of 9-1 against the five common teams. Now, here is where it gets interesting: It is impossible for Lamar to finish with the 4 seed, even with a win against McNeese on Saturday.
Here is the 4th place tiebreaker scenario:
If Sam wins (God forbid), they get the 4 seed.
If Sam loses, Lamar loses and Northwestern loses, Sam gets the 4 seed.
If Sam loses, Lamar wins and Northwestern loses, Sam gets the 4 seed based on the better record against the five common teams since they split the 2 regular season games.
If Sam loses, Lamar loses and Northwestern wins, Sam gets 4 seed due to better record against the five common teams played twice since the only meeting between Northwestern and Sam was at Sam and Sam won.
If Sam loses, Lamar wins and Northwestern wins, Northwestern gets the 4 seed due to a better record against common teams all three played twice (SFA, Nicholls, Houston Baptist).
If Northwestern gets the 4 seed, then a tiebreaker for fifth needs to take place between Sam and Lamar. Sam wins that tiebreaker and is the 5 seed.
With all this in mind, let's get back to the ACU-Nicholls tiebreaker. Now at tiebreaker "D", record against highest positioned teams each played twice. Nicholls only played SFA once and ACU only played Northwestern once, so both those teams are eliminated from consideration. Sam will, in any tiebreaker, finish ahead of Lamar, so Sam is the highest positioned team for both ACU and Nicholls. Nicholls swept Sam, ACU split.
If you want Sam to have a day one game, pull for, obviously, the Jacks, but also for Lamar to beat McNeese and Northwestern to beat UCA. That sends Sam to a day one game.
https://www.southland.org/documents/2020/2/14/2019_20_SLC_BKB_Tournament_Tiebreakers.pdf
PurpleOut
Staff
RichieVan said:

Nicholls has wrapped up the 2 seed and the double bye. Tiebreaker 1: head to head does not apply since Nicholls lost on the road to ACU and that is the only game they played. Tiebreaker 2: record against teams ACU and Nicholls both played twice: Each had a record of 9-1 against the five common teams. Now, here is where it gets interesting: It is impossible for Lamar to finish with the 4 seed, even with a win against McNeese on Saturday.
Here is the 4th place tiebreaker scenario:
If Sam wins (God forbid), they get the 4 seed.
If Sam loses, Lamar loses and Northwestern loses, Sam gets the 4 seed.
If Sam loses, Lamar wins and Northwestern loses, Sam gets the 4 seed based on the better record against the five common teams since they split the 2 regular season games.
If Sam loses, Lamar loses and Northwestern wins, Sam gets 4 seed due to better record against the five common teams played twice since the only meeting between Northwestern and Sam was at Sam and Sam won.
If Sam loses, Lamar wins and Northwestern wins, Northwestern gets the 4 seed due to a better record against common teams all three played twice (SFA, Nicholls, Houston Baptist).
If Northwestern gets the 4 seed, then a tiebreaker for fifth needs to take place between Sam and Lamar. Sam wins that tiebreaker and is the 5 seed.
With all this in mind, let's get back to the ACU-Nicholls tiebreaker. Now at tiebreaker "D", record against highest positioned teams each played twice. Nicholls only played SFA once and ACU only played Northwestern once, so both those teams are eliminated from consideration. Sam will, in any tiebreaker, finish ahead of Lamar, so Sam is the highest positioned team for both ACU and Nicholls. Nicholls swept Sam, ACU split.
If you want Sam to have a day one game, pull for, obviously, the Jacks, but also for Lamar to beat McNeese and Northwestern to beat UCA. That sends Sam to a day one game.
https://www.southland.org/documents/2020/2/14/2019_20_SLC_BKB_Tournament_Tiebreakers.pdf
But it's not correct if Sam and NSU end up tied at 11-9.

It seems correct to me as well, but it's not what our league has said.
No-look
Are the tiebreakers similar in other conferences to ours?
RichieVan
Therein lies the problem. The Southland is saying one thing and must be applying another standard. If Sam and Northwestern tie at 11-9, the head to head tiebreaker is moot since Northwestern and Sam only played one game, at Sam, and Sam won. That game is thrown out same as Nicholls-ACU. Tiebreaker 2 is games against teams both played twice. Those teams are SFA, Nicholls, Houston Baptist, Corpus and ACU. Sam went 4-6 against those teams (if SFA beats Sam) and Northwestern went 3-7.
PurpleOut
Staff
RichieVan said:

Therein lies the problem. The Southland is saying one thing and must be applying another standard. If Sam and Northwestern tie at 11-9, the head to head tiebreaker is moot since Northwestern and Sam only played one game, at Sam, and Sam won. That game is thrown out same as Nicholls-ACU. Tiebreaker 2 is games against teams both played twice. Those teams are SFA, Nicholls, Houston Baptist, Corpus and ACU. Sam went 4-6 against those teams (if SFA beats Sam) and Northwestern went 3-7.
100% agree. I'm not sure where this "single unit" aspect is coming from, but they've relayed it to the teams.

jboy93
Another quick question. I have my hotel but is there a need to get tickets early or can I just buy them at game time? There is not a chance of it selling out I'm guessing?
PurpleOut
Staff
No-look said:

Are the tiebreakers similar in other conferences to ours?
I've never heard of two tied teams being counted as a single unit. Maybe it's happened, but I've never seen it.

The first few conferences that I looked at, from their online publication on tiebreakers:

Sun Belt: Highest win-loss percentage of head-to-head competition during the regular season.
MVC: Records in head-to-head competition are compared, with the higher seed going to the team that has won the most games against the other.
CUSA: Head to head
A-10: Head-to-head competition.
ASUN: The first tiebreaker remains head-to-head results among teams involved in the tie.

Long story short, we invent something new every year that isn't necessary.

RichieVan
I totally get it. And it is very frustrating. So Sam and Northwestern become a single unit? OK, ACU split with Sam and beat Northwestern at home. 2-1. Nicholls swept Sam and split with Northwestern. 3-1. If you throw Lamar into the mix, Nicholls is 5-1 and ACU is 4-1.
So exactly how does this work? The whole thing is asinine.
cboothe09
RichieVan said:

Not only am I rooting for that scenario, I think the likelihood of that happening is very strong...
SFA Jack Fanatic
jboy, none of the games will be sellouts (not even close), but the SFA men's games will have good attendance by SFA fans, so seating in the SFA section could be tight. There will be tons of seats everywhere else. It's a big venue.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SMH... How in the heck did the suits at SLC headquarters come up with this garbage set of tiebreakers? Did they do an in-house competition to see who could come up with the stupidest scenarios? It is so stupid that they had to explain part of it LAST NIGHT. Geeezzzz....

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.