Katy Watch 2020

39,517 Views | 268 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SFAJack_76
PurpleOut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
So this "single unit" aspect is actually what they used in the baseball tournament fiasco a few years ago. This was when there were 3 teams tied for the last two spots. The league publicly put out the seeds and brackets, and then went back to throw in this tiebreaker that changed the seeds. I remember a text thread I was on with an assistant AD at the time of one of the schools, and it was just a complete disaster. I'm still not 100% clear on what/how it happened.

RichieVan
It's a joke. OK, so Sam and Northwestern State become a single unit and, since ACU only played Northwestern once, that unit is not considered. It would then fall to Lamar as the next highest positioned team, and Lamar was 0-2 against both ACU and Nicholls. It would then fall to the jumble of McNeese, Corpus and UCA which are now all currently 9-10 in conference.
This is the epitome of stupidity.
PurpleOut
Staff
RichieVan said:

I totally get it. And it is very frustrating. So Sam and Northwestern become a single unit? OK, ACU split with Sam and beat Northwestern at home. 2-1. Nicholls swept Sam and split with Northwestern. 3-1. If you throw Lamar into the mix, Nicholls is 5-1 and ACU is 4-1.
So exactly how does this work? The whole thing is asinine.
From my understanding, since ACU only played NWST once...now that NWST/Sam are tied in as a single unit...Nicholls sweep of Sam would not factor in.

I don't know fully. It's just ridiculous, but I'm glad we're not involved now. I'm almost hoping for the worst case tiebreaker scenarios for the league to sort out, just so more people start to see what a joke it is.

PurpleOut
Staff
RichieVan said:

It's a joke. OK, so Sam and Northwestern State become a single unit and, since ACU only played Northwestern once, that unit is not considered. It would then fall to Lamar as the next highest positioned team, and Lamar was 0-2 against both ACU and Nicholls. It would then fall to the jumble of McNeese, Corpus and UCA which are now all currently 9-10 in conference.
This is the epitome of stupidity.
Exactly. Mind boggling.
RichieVan
I think the mind boggling piece of this is that we actually pay a commissioner to promote this garbage.
CertifiedAxeman98
Head to head should always matter in a tiebreaker ignoring it makes you SLC look dumb. You may use other ways help you in a 3 way tie but when you seed the teams you should never have a team seeded above another team if they lost to the same no matter how many games you play or who else you played. Head to head should always matter above any other tiebreaker tools.

16/17 - SFA was tied with HBU and TAMU-CC for 2nd. They beat HBU in there only game they played, they beat TAMU-CC twice and somehow they gave TAMU-CC the 2 seed and SFA the 3 seed. How do you beat someone twice and SFA get seeded lower than them in a tiebreaker. Dumb. Makes a conference that is already bad look even worse.
SFAJack_76
Ljacks&Longnecks
Spot on Certified. Head to Head should always be first tie breaker, then record vs common opponents. If you somehow get past those two THEN you come up with a crackpot idea.
Don't get why you (SLC) want to make things so difficult...benefits no one.
SFAJack_76
PurpleOut
Staff
I like the enthusiasm, but I bet there's going to be a few casual fans that think it's sold out now and won't go.
SFAJack_76
PurpleOut said:

I like the enthusiasm, but I bet there's going to be a few casual fans that think it's sold out now and won't go.
Unfortunately true. The casual fan with reading comprehension challenges.

"Fans can still purchase SLC semifinal tickets via the SLC ticket office.

: bit.ly/2VMgErl"
SFA Jack Fanatic
The entire venue is not going to be aywhere close to being sold out, only the SFA section. There will be hundreds of seats available, just not in the section behind the SFA bench. I've been to the tournament several times, and people have always been able to walk up and buy a ticket. It will be the same this time.
SFAJack_76
Good luck.
nacluth
They eliminated the "single unit" logic. Amazing that NWST has the possibility of going from a single bye to eliminated from tournament in these crappy tiebreakers.
PurpleOut
Staff
Their link is a blank page for me.
No-look
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Spot on Certified. Head to Head should always be first tie breaker, then record vs common opponents. If you somehow get past those two THEN you come up with a crackpot idea.
Don't get why you (SLC) want to make things so difficult...benefits no one.
use head to head as tie breaker. Use eight points as margin of win. If home team doesn't win by eight or more the visiting team takes tie breaker. If home team covers the points they advance.
SFAJack_76
PurpleOut said:

Their link is a blank page for me.
SLC jokes write themselves.
PurpleOut
Staff
So now NET rankings will/could be part of the tiebreakers. ACU and Nicholls will still be up in the air

Quote:

If SHSU is untied in the standings, NICH is No. 2 seed by virtue of record against highest-positioned
team that played tied teams twice (NICH 2-0 vs. SHSU; ACU 2-0 vs. SHSU). If SHSU is tied with LU in
the standings, NICH is No. 2 seed by virtue of record against highest-positioned teams that played
tied teams twice (NICH 4-0 vs. LU/SHSU; ACU 3-1 vs. LU/SHSU). If SHSU is tied with LU + NSU or just NSU, the No. 2 seed will be awarded to the highest team in the NET Rankings on Sunday, March 8.

RichieVan
Coach Keller needs to look no further than today's NCAA (3/6/2020) action to motivate his team to get the job done through Katy.
Eighth seeded Drake just beat number one seed Northern Iowa 77-56 in the second round of the Missouri Valley Conference Tournament. Just last Saturday, the Panthers beat the Bulldogs 70-43.
Northern Iowa shot poorly from the field (30.9% FG, 20% from three) while Drake was hot (50% from the field and 47% from three).
Northern Iowa was under consideration for an at-large bid if they did not win their conference, but the Bulldogs were 8-10 in conference play and this is a bad Q3 loss.
It goes to show we cannot overlook anyone in Katy. We need to stay focused and finish the job. Northern Iowa will now be sweating out selection Sunday and will, most likely, get relegated to the NIT.
CertifiedAxeman98
PurpleOut said:

So now NET rankings will/could be part of the tiebreakers. ACU and Nicholls will still be up in the air

Quote:

If SHSU is untied in the standings, NICH is No. 2 seed by virtue of record against highest-positioned
team that played tied teams twice (NICH 2-0 vs. SHSU; ACU 2-0 vs. SHSU). If SHSU is tied with LU in
the standings, NICH is No. 2 seed by virtue of record against highest-positioned teams that played
tied teams twice (NICH 4-0 vs. LU/SHSU; ACU 3-1 vs. LU/SHSU). If SHSU is tied with LU + NSU or just NSU, the No. 2 seed will be awarded to the highest team in the NET Rankings on Sunday, March 8.

No way that ACU should be a 3 if they tie with Nicholls but that is very possible.

SLC is a complete laughingstock with stuff like this. Why haven't the AD's and coaches not worked to get the tie rules corrected?

My only thought is that it was hurting SFA so they were ok with it. Maybe now that it is hurting other teams then someone will wake up and call for change.
LUMBERJACK2005
Decided to see how #1 seeds have done in the Southland tournament since its move to a neutral site (not including 2007 at Campbell Center).

Over the last 12 Southland Conference Tournaments, the 1 seed has won the tournament 6 times, 2 seed won it twice(2019, 2013), 3 seed twice (2018, 2012), and 7 seed twice (2008, 2011).

(not included above, but 2007, TAMUCC won tournament at Campbell Center as 1 seed)
2008 - SFA is the 1 seed and get upset by NWST, UTA won tournament as 7 seed
2009 - SFA wins tournament as 1 seed
2010 - SHSU defeats SFA, wins tournament as 1 seed
2011 - SFA loses in first round as 6 seed, #7 UTSA upsets #1 McNeese to win tournament
2012 - #3 Lamar defeats #4 McNeese (SFA loses to Lamar in second round as #2 seed)
2013 - #1 SFA loses to #2 NWST
2014 - #1 SFA Wins
2015 - #1 SFA Wins
2016 - #1 SFA Wins
2017 - #1 UNO defeats #2 TAMUCC (we got screwed out of 2 seed)
2018 - #3 SFA beats #1 SE LA
PurpleOut
Staff
CertifiedAxeman9 said:

SLC is a complete laughingstock with stuff like this. Why haven't the AD's and coaches not worked to get the tie rules corrected?
Because the coaches were involved in approving it to begin with.
MasterAxe
Amazing how quickly things can turn.

UCA looked primed for a bye in the SLC tourney, instead, loses 5/6 to end the year out of tourney.

Meanwhile, Corpus rallies for 4 straight to end the year to get in.
CertifiedAxeman98
Who do you want to see SFA play in the semi and finals in Katy?

I want Sam again in the Semi even though that means sitting next to may Sam grad parents again at the game. I don't want to see TAMU-CC again.

Not sure who I want in the final. It will be tough if it is ACU or Nicholls. Honestly, playing 6/7 might be easier but not sure that Lamar or McNeese can get hot enough to make a run.
BigJack85
I struggle with the semi-final..... probably a coin flip. Regarding the final, I'd much rather see Nicholls. Much better matchup IMO.
Pilotgirl
I would like Nicholls in the finals. Semi-final? Hmmm Let's beat Sam again.
PurpleOut
Staff
Whoa.

Pilotgirl
PurpleOut said:

Whoa.

The Southland could do this ...lol
nacluth
Yeah, I just read that Harvard is canceling classes next week. Everything online. Hold on NCAA. Let our boys play with those crowds.
PurpleOut
Staff
The Ivy is a little different. It's only a 4-team tournament, and in the past the regular season champ always got the auto-bid. So this isn't a huge stretch.
Pilotgirl
Y'all. Kevon is losing his voice....
jflandis
Pilotgirl said:

Warm Green Tea with natural honey and lemon juice stat!!!
Texasheli
The only issue would be for Harvard who beat Yale each time they played this year. So there was a good possibility that Harvard would have made the tournament and not Yale. I would assume the Harvard seniors are bummed that will not have a chance to make the dance.
Pilotgirl
jflandis said:

Pilotgirl said:

Warm Green Tea with natural honey and lemon juice stat!!!

With some whiskey!
nacluth
As far as NET ratings go, the finals is our only Q3 potential matchup as Nicholls and ACU are the only teams barely above 200 (required for Q3 on a neutral court).

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.