Katy Watch 2020

39,064 Views | 268 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SFAJack_76
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Usually wouldn't start this thread so early, but with 7 games left, the postseason is calling in college basketball.

SFA will punch its ticket to Katy with a win Wednesday night in Corpus. If it fails there it will qualify with any other win plus a loss to Lamar/Corpus the rest of the season.

All SLC teams are still viable to advance with the bottom two teams New Orleans and SE Louisiana three games back with 7 remaining to make the Katy field. Right now, two teams that have been in the championship game in the last three years might not make the cut.
No-look
It's nice to be discussing this topic so early this year.
No-look
How does the tournament seeding go? Two best records get double byes in separate brackets? And then what?
RichieVan
First round, 6 plays 7 and 5 plays 8. Second round, the 5/8 winner plays 4 and the 6/7 winner plays 3. Third round, 2 plays the 3/6/7 winner and 1 plays the 4/5/8 winner.
TallTexan
Excited to see who gets screwed by the ridiculous tie breakers this year since it's unlikely to be us(knocks on wood).
CertifiedAxeman98
TallTexan said:

Excited to see who gets screwed by the ridiculous tie breakers this year since it's unlikely to be us(knocks on wood).
Anyone that says you shouldn't count head to head as part of a tie break is an idiot. SLC needs to get rid of the idiots and the 3 way tie rules.
TallTexan
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

TallTexan said:

Anyone that says you shouldn't count head to head as part of a tie break is an idiot. SLC needs to get rid of the idiots and the 3 way tie rules.
What, you want the conference to hire all new employees or something?
nacluth
On their first try, the Jacks secured their berth to Katy. The next SLC team will have to wait at least three more games to join the field.

Next goal: if we can pick up the two games next week (UCA at home, UIW away), then we will secure a first round bye. These will be the two of the easiest matchups left for the year by ranking.
RichieVan
The magic number for the Jacks is 4. Any combination of SFA wins and ACU losses, or Jacks wins and Nicholls losses (in other words, whoever is second) clinches at least an NIT bid. Any losses by either ACU or Nicholls plus SFA wins totaling four also clinches a double bye.

In other words, just win four of the last six no matter what anyone else does. And let's not think about the NIT.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

On their first try, the Jacks secured their berth to Katy. The next SLC team will have to wait at least three more games to join the field.

Next goal: if we can pick up the two games next week (UCA at home, UIW away), then we will secure a first round bye. These will be the two of the easiest matchups left for the year by ranking.
We need to get a packed house on Wednesday to watch Kevon break Walkup's record too.
cboothe09
The picture is starting to get clearer for Katy...

If the season ended today:
Double Bye: #1 SFA...#2 Nicholls
Single Bye: #3 ACU...#4 Sam Houston
First Round: #5 Northwestern State...#6 Lamar...#7 Central Arkansas...#8 McNeese...Corpus is 1.5 out of the final spot

First Round: Northwestern State vs. McNeese...Lamar vs. Central Arkansas
Second Round: Sam vs. NWST/McNeese...ACU vs. Lamar/UCA
Third Round: SFA vs. Sam/Lamar/UCA...Nicholls vs. ACU/NWST/McNeese
nacluth
SFA clinches at least a first round bye to Katy. Nicholls punches their ticket today as well.
BigJack85
Northwestern State is a little bit of a surprise.
TallTexan
TallTexan said:

nacluth said:

We need to get a packed house on Wednesday to watch Kevon break Walkup's record too.
2780 last night, which is disappointing but not unexpected with the weather.
PurpleOut
Staff
McNeese is trying to play themselves out of the tournament, they were 7-3 entering the month of February and now 7-8. UIW on the other hand is right in the fight now after winning 4 of their last 5.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

McNeese is trying to play themselves out of the tournament, they were 7-3 entering the month of February and now 7-8. UIW on the other hand is right in the fight now after winning 4 of their last 5.
This has been an interesting year for the rest of the conference..
jboy93
How does the seating work at this place? Is it all general admission and you sit where you want or is just the whole place Johnson Coliseum South?
jboy93
TallTexan
Just found out that the wedding I have to go to is the same time as the championship game. I'm highly disappointed.
jboy93
TallTexan said:

Just found out that the wedding I have to go to is the same time as the championship game. I'm highly disappointed.
Great excuse to miss a wedding in my opinion!
TallTexan
jboy93 said:

TallTexan said:

This is exactly what I said.
No-look
TallTexan said:

jboy93 said:

TallTexan said:

. And then you were quickly put in your place?
SFA Jack Fanatic
jboy93 said:

How does the seating work at this place? Is it all general admission and you sit where you want or is just the whole place Johnson Coliseum South?

It is general admission, but sections are specified for fans of each team so they can all sit together.
TallTexan
No-look said:

TallTexan said:

jboy93 said:

TallTexan said:

. And then you were quickly put in your place?

Apparently my BIL's wedding is pretty important.

I mean, sure maybe, but he can't dunk & holds no scoring record.
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

No-look said:

I think you just answered your own question.
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

TallTexan said:

I think you just answered your own question.
Agreed Ed. Thanks for volunteering to go to the wedding in my place.
RichieVan
I'm a little disappointed the Athletic Department put out the tweet "Just call us champs". Except we're not champs yet.
The only team that can catch us is ACU. If we were to lose our last three and ACU wins their last three, there would be a tie atop the Conference at 16-4. (I know, I know, stop thinking that way, but bear with me)
The first tiebreaker is head to head if they've played twice. In this case, it would be a split.
Second tiebreaker is the record against the teams in the conference both team have played twice.
The common teams each have played twice are Texas A&M-CC, UCA, UIW, Lamar and Sam. If the Jacks lose their last three, then their record against those five would be 7-3. If ACU wins out, their record against those five would be 9-1.
In other words, just beat Lamar and end it.
jboy93
RichieVan said:

I'm a little disappointed the Athletic Department put out the tweet "Just call us champs". Except we're not champs yet.
The only team that can catch us is ACU. If we were to lose our last three and ACU wins their last three, there would be a tie atop the Conference at 16-4. (I know, I know, stop thinking that way, but bear with me)
The first tiebreaker is head to head if they've played twice. In this case, it would be a split.
Second tiebreaker is the record against the teams in the conference both team have played twice.
The common teams each have played twice are Texas A&M-CC, UCA, UIW, Lamar and Sam. If the Jacks lose their last three, then their record against those five would be 7-3. If ACU wins out, their record against those five would be 9-1.
In other words, just beat Lamar and end it.
Well it's a good thing we are not going to lose our last three! lol
nacluth
Richie, tiebreakers only affect seeding in the tournament. We are conference champs. In the SLC, if two teams tie they are both regular season champs. So we have clinched a share of the title. One more win or ACU loss will give us the sole championship and the #1 seed (which has not been clinched even though we have the double bye already).
Pilotgirl
I live in Sugar Land now and work in between Sugar Land and Katy so it will be easy for me, this year, to see as many games as I want. Can't go to the Ladies during the day but thinking of attending the nightly games after work.

If y'all are staying overnight, I'd like to make a recommendation. V and I love the Element in Katy. Super comfy beds and an awesome breakfast. Bar is also open late, FYI. I miss staying there lol

I also highly recommend Whiskey Cake. Amazing farm to table with an impressive cocktail menu and lots of options. We will definitely be going to dinner there Friday or Sat nite, if anyone would like to join
RichieVan
Because of our win at ACU, the Wildcats need help to get the double bye. If Nicholls beats McNeese at home today, they will get the double bye. Since they only played each other once during the season (an ACU win at home which, essentially, cancels consideration of that game), tiebreaker "C" applies, which is record against the teams each played twice. Those five teams in common are Sam, Lamar, UCA, Southeast LA and Houston Baptist. Both Nicholls and ACU went 9-1 against those teams. So, now, tiebreaker "D" is applied, which is the record for each team against the highest positioned team. The highest positioned team is Sam, and ACU split with Sam while Nicholls swept Sam.
ACU plays at UIW Saturday and they will know if they have a chance since Nicholls plays tonight.
Pilotgirl
I'm so confused lol
Pilotgirl
So what do yall think of this coronavirus interfering with March Madness? Games without fans?? That would really suck....
PurpleOut
Staff
Pilotgirl said:

I'm so confused lol
Welcome to the Southland!
PurpleOut
Staff
Pilotgirl said:

So what do yall think of this coronavirus interfering with March Madness? Games without fans?? That would really suck....
I hope nothing drastic happens in terms of cancelling games or playing in empty gems. But could definitely see a big issue for the regional in Spokane...just because it's "close" to the crap storm in Seattle.

I think it's definitely overblown some, in terms of danger for the average person. It's the elderly and young that are more at risk...of course just like the regular flu that can be very dangerous. But I still get it and get precautions.

Chicago State has canceled it's game vs Seattle U because of this already.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.