TJ Holyfield is leaving

58,913 Views | 248 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PurpleOut
purplitis72
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Pilotgirl
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

Not sure if I saw this posted here or not. Illinois bring out all the stops to land Holyfield.

https://herald-review.com/sports/illini/tj-holyfield-in-champaign-on-official-visit-for-illinois-basketball/article_7f90ba14-6650-58c3-a1cf-e31f2a2d2226.html

Thanks for sharing! I've seen a view tweets about it & someone from Illinois was doing a Periscope about his visit. I don't do Periscope, so was hoping to find more info. I may scour their message boards lol
TallTexan
Dang it. I forgot they also have Tyler Underwood.

TJ, please go to a winning team. I wanna see you do well. Plus, orange isn't your color. I promise.
purplitis72
purplitis72
Lets start a new thread about what color T.J. should wear and what he looks best in.That is so important. We could start a T.J. fan club and have a T.J. calendar and a T.J. autograph day and put up a T.J. billboard and have a T.J. Holyfield day in Nacogdoches. We could fill our the coliseum up and watch his games on television on the big screen and brag about how he played ball at Stephen F. Austin State Junior college.
purplitis72
Pilotgirl
TallTexan said:

Dang it. I forgot they also have Tyler Underwood.

TJ, please go to a winning team. I wanna see you do well. Plus, orange isn't your color. I promise.

Ok...so a couple players from Illinois are trying to persuade him on social media. The Illini believe they have a lock on him but are a bit nervous with him maybe picking TT. Also, several posted that it was discussed in an article/podcast that Kansas have given him until TODAY to make a decision & then they were moving on. I think we will know something by end of week.
purplitis72
He will look just as good on the bench there as will anywhere else. Good idea Kansas. Having second thought are you?
TallTexan
I just feel like Kansas or Tech is the best post season tournament opportunity.

Keller has the familiar system. I wish i knew what he was wanting to study for a grad year/degree. Each of those likely have slightly different offerings.

Mapwise & tournament wise, I'd pick Kansas. Just outside of KC, good school, great basketball school.

Illinois is a good 2 to 2.5 hours away from the major metros. Texas Tech is a good 12-24 hours away from civilization.
Pilotgirl
Haha soooo true! I know he is a Business undergrad major...
No-look
TJ will be successful regardless. He could play overseas or go into business.
purplitis72
Yeah but he is too good for us though or at least he thinks so.
PurpleOut
Staff
purplitis72 said:

Yeah but he is too good for us though or at least he thinks so.

WE. GET. IT.

Stop.
SFASawmillGuy
I think maybe it's time this thread got locked...
MasterAxe
SFA_03 said:

I'm on board with this. I believe the horse is dead.
Pilotgirl
I'm good with whatever but would like to discuss when he does pick a team. Perhaps we can move that discussion to the 2019-2020 NCAA Basketball thread, if appropriate.
purplitis72
Now that's a good idea!
SFAJack_76
SFA_03 said:

I understand why, and don't really care, but I think it would be an unfortunate precedent that one person can cause a thread to get locked.
Pilotgirl
Agreed 100%.
purplitis72
More than one person suggested it. Pilot girl was one of them. I agreed with her suggestion. But if you want to keep beating a dead horse, go ahead and wear yourself out. Dead horses feel nothing.

CertifiedAxeman98
SFAJack_76 said:

SFA_03 said:

I understand why, and don't really care, but I think it would be an unfortunate precedent that one person can cause a thread to get locked.
Why would this thread be locked until TJ picks a school?
purplitis72
It doesn't appear to be locked. You just made a post on it. It seems that some have lost interest in it for the time being. FYI, staff members are the only ones that can lock a thread.
Pilotgirl
Very interesting...
https://247sports.com/college/illinois/Article/JUST-IN-Illinois-Fighting-Illini-forward-Anthony-Higgs-enters-the-transfer-portal-131846722/
SFAJack_76
Pilotgirl said:

Very interesting...
https://247sports.com/college/illinois/Article/JUST-IN-Illinois-Fighting-Illini-forward-Anthony-Higgs-enters-the-transfer-portal-131846722/
Who knows if this is related to TJ or not. Higgs redshirted his freshman year due to foot surgery. Apparently his leaving did not surprise. Underwood had at last one other open scholarship before this, so he didn't need room.
purplitis72
Underwood may be losing a better player in Higgs than he might be gaining with Holyfield. I wish we could have gotten Higgs in T.J.s place. Higgs is impressive.
Pilotgirl
TJ is mentioned in article & it's just one other player out, which may equal even more playing time for him, which might factor into his decision.
purplitis72
You know that Underwood is going to fill all of his scholarships before that it's all over. So, I don't think that it's likely that it means any more playing time for Holyfield if he chooses to go there. Some of the schools that have offered T.J. are getting impatient with him.
SFAJack_76
Pilotgirl said:

TJ is mentioned in article & it's just one other player out, which may equal even more playing time for him, which might factor into his decision.

You may be exactly right.
purplitis72
Don't forget that Underwood has signed a number of other new players as well though.
sfa17
purplitis72 said:

Underwood may be losing a better player in Higgs than he might be gaining with Holyfield. I wish we could have gotten Higgs in T.J.s place. Higgs is impressive.
Higgs hasn't played a single minute of cbb. He was ranked #390 in high school. I doubt he is any better than the JUCO players we have.
purplitis72
So what? He was a much higher rated prospect out of high school than Holyfield. Look at the list of people who were recruiting him. Watch one of the videos that shows him playing. Also remember that Holyfield had a much more significant injury. An injury that often ends the careers of many athletes. We don't even know if he has been given clearance from doctors to play again or not. If we had another scholarship available, I would be thrilled to add Higgs to our roster. Our top rated recruit this season was only ranked number 365 (Hart) and he is by far the highest rated recruit that we have signed this season.
sfa17
So what? From high school Holyfield had offers from Auburn and Oregan state. Higgs is also coming of an injury. 247 sports and verbal don't really evaluate Juco transfers.
purplitis72
So what? The fact that they don't evaluate doesn't verify that they are rated higher besides, Higgs has four years of eligibility left which adds value instead of taking it away. Higg's injury is nowhere near as career threatening as Holyfields. Higgs had offers from Illinois, Ole Miss,Tulsa, Colorado, Kansas State, Cincinnati, UMass, Virginia tech, South Florida and Louisville. Oregon is not spelled Oregan.
purplitis72
Most recruiting analysts had Higgs rated as a three star recruit as opposed to rivals ranking according to the headline when he signed with Illinois. Higgs won back-to-back state championships at Perry Hall High School in Maryland.
Jacks4460
72 dont forget about the ole ticker... LOL...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.