TJ Holyfield is leaving

58,951 Views | 248 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PurpleOut
migata33
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

The negativity on here is giving me a headache. Pardon me if I choose not to join your party.

Axe 'em, Jacks!
Im with you man...all these people who say they know what is going on in the locker room don't know what is going on in the locker room. If there was that much dissention why is Kevon trying to sell the program to people on twitter or JUCO guards transferring in or perhaps our the most talented recruit in the last few years in Hart bothering to show up.

We had a bad year and certain athletes were either injured, bad dudes and left or just not a good fit for what the offense broke down into because we had not enough capable guards to run the show.

Holyfield is leaving...so what....good for him and if there is a P5 opportunity out there he should take it as he has a degree in hand and wants to find a new landing spot that will allow him better exposure. Also just because he posted doesn't mean he leaves. If a situation of his liking is not available then perhaps he stays. Either way best to him.

Its ok to be angry and feel let down but its one year and get over it! If it happens again next year in optimum conditions then go off on Keller but for now shut up.
MasterAxe
I'm not trying to beat uber negative, I'm trying to be a realist.

We had a bad year last year and in the weeks since the season was over the roster has only gotten worse.

That's not negativity, that's reality.
BigJack85
I agree there is reason for negativity. This is not what many of us expected. If we keep Kevon, Oddyst, Mitch and Comeaux comes back stronger there is the potential that the ship get righted My belief is that the Juco transfer (David Kalkeries) may be one of the most important pieces. If he is a legit starter (28-30 minutes per game) then a lot of this will fall in line.

If for some reason we end up around 17-18 wins then the program may need a change
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
RedRiverLa
migata33 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

The negativity on here is giving me a headache. Pardon me if I choose not to join your party.

Axe 'em, Jacks!
Im with you man...all these people who say they know what is going on in the locker room don't know what is going on in the locker room. If there was that much dissention why is Kevon trying to sell the program to people on twitter or JUCO guards transferring in or perhaps our the most talented recruit in the last few years in Hart bothering to show up.

We had a bad year and certain athletes were either injured, bad dudes and left or just not a good fit for what the offense broke down into because we had not enough capable guards to run the show.

Holyfield is leaving...so what....good for him and if there is a P5 opportunity out there he should take it as he has a degree in hand and wants to find a new landing spot that will allow him better exposure. Also just because he posted doesn't mean he leaves. If a situation of his liking is not available then perhaps he stays. Either way best to him.

Its ok to be angry and feel let down but its one year and get over it! If it happens again next year in optimum conditions then go off on Keller but for now shut up.
I agree with your summary of everything, (except the shut up - every one's opinion is welcomed in an open discussion). This is basketball. There is no way we always make the NCAA tournament or win the championship, either regular season or tourney. IMHO, the sign of a great program isn't that we never falter, it's how quickly we recover. I think our coaches and the remaining players would not wish this season on their worst enemy - so I believe that the off-season effort is probably more focused than we've had in a long time. I think our coaching staff is on a 1-year clock to get us back in the right direction. But fandom is all realtive. Kentucky fans think they're having a bad year. Indiana fans are embarassed to be in the NIT, and UCLA fans are still wearing their Walton jerseys from a 'never-ending' dynasty that's now 5 decades removed. We'll be fine. If not, then we go another direction because our brand is still very strong - maybe Will Wade will make us a 'strong-ass' offer
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
wahlwesle
If you think TJ was the one that would make next season great or not, you're wrong. One player wouldn't do it. Everyone on here has mentioned how Kevon and Shannon couldn't do it on their own, and it takes a team to win. It would be no different with a TJ/Kevon setup. Sure he was a good player, but the TEAM is going to have to pull it together. Relying on one player would result in failire sooner or later anyway.

Even if we were still successfull, TJ would be crazy not to go to a P5 school if he had the opportunity. There is too much benefit for him to pass up.
PurpleOut
Staff
wahlwesle said:

If you think TJ was the one that would make next season great or not, you're wrong. One player wouldn't do it. Everyone on here has mentioned how Kevon and Shannon couldn't do it on their own, and it takes a team to win. It would be no different with a TJ/Kevon setup. Sure he was a good player, but the TEAM is going to have to pull it together. Relying on one player would result in failire sooner or later anyway.

Even if we were still successfull, TJ would be crazy not to go to a P5 school if he had the opportunity. There is too much benefit for him to pass up.
Agree on all points. I think it would be slightly different because TJ would have added a huge defensive piece, but still the point is valid.

I had a good laugh at the SFA Barstools account today, tweeting around this subject. They're awful.
SFA Jack Fanatic
RedRiverLa said:

IMHO, the sign of a great program isn't that we never falter, it's how quickly we recover.

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant comment!!!
CottonValleyJack
MasterAxe said:

I'm not trying to beat uber negative, I'm trying to be a realist.

We had a bad year last year and in the weeks since the season was over the roster has only gotten worse.

That's not negativity, that's reality.

I agree. You're just calling balls and strikes. I'm amazed that anyone defends this dumpster fire.
No-look

TallTexan
I'm cool with BigJack & MasterAxe. The dudes may be more pessimistic about the program than I try to be, I'm a silver lining type of guy, but they're here, every week, and they offer praise when it's warranted.

It's a few of the seagull posters that I don't care for. They just swoop in occasionally, crap all over everything, & then fly off. That I can do without.

I was on the fence about Keller when we hired him, IMO, don't hire coaches from programs that only make the tourney once in 5 years. But Keller won me over with his recruiting and 2018's coaching performance. We very nearly beat Tech. Had we run into a typical 3 seed, we'd have likely beaten em.

Did 2019 suck? Sure.

Am I going to miss TJ? Yes. Mostly because we didn't get the chance to send him off in style, or atleast with a standing ovation for a job well done. He earned that. TJ's a lifetime Lumberjack.

But in 2019-2020, like it or not, we're going to see who's right on Keller. Don't act like you can't win the Southland with a decent number of new players. Nicholls put together a standout squad with all transfers & I don't believe Riley was half the recruiter Keller is. For that matter, I don't think he's quite the coach he is either.

Take a moment & raise a glass to TJ. We'll see just how good he is in 2020 when he's playing against the big dogs every week. And we're going to find out how good our program is too.
MasterAxe
Starting lineup next year

PG - K
SG - E
SF - V
C - O
PF - N
TallTexan
MasterAxe said:

Starting lineup next year

PG - K
SG - E
SF - V
C - O
PF - N
The new STEM school is really paying off with their cloning efforts.
sfa17
I don't think we can do worst than 9th next season. But idk what our ceiling is. I'm hoping we get back on track next season. This season was no fun for me personally.

Lets get some recruits in and try to wash off the 2018-19 odor
Generation II
TJ best wishes. Hope everyone gives Keller a chance to fix it got some good pieces coming in, let it play out guys.
SFAJack_76
nacluth
Basketball success is cyclical unless you can keep a steady run of panned out recruits. This year was supposed to be a peak year of Shannon and TJ as seniors, Kevon and Aaron as juniors. It didn't happen. That's a rough blow. We're really three years out from another true potential peak, but we should be trending up the next couple of years.
nacluth
So Isaac's apparently saying Illinois is a done deal. Bold reporting for someone who doesn't report anymore.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

Not to get all nitpicky, because TJ's free to do what he wants, & NCAA rules to the contrary, should be able to freely transfer like any of us could do as non student athletes when we were in school. But you're not allowed to recruit current players until they enter the transfer portal... right?
SFAJack_76
Ljacks&Longnecks
TallTexan said:

I'm cool with BigJack & MasterAxe. The dudes may be more pessimistic about the program than I try to be, I'm a silver lining type of guy, but they're here, every week, and they offer praise when it's warranted.

It's a few of the seagull posters that I don't care for. They just swoop in occasionally, crap all over everything, & then fly off. That I can do without.
Right on the mark there Texan. I know when I see Big or Master post, there is a good chance I'll be rolling my eyes or shaking my head ( at least on the Keller stuff) but I know they care and will offer up reasons and discussion for their stance.
Then we get the once in 6 or 8 months fly by nighter swoop in to say he saw a dumpster on fire somewhere, then gone again.
MasterAxe
Generation II said:

TJ best wishes. Hope everyone gives Keller a chance to fix it got some good pieces coming in, let it play out guys.

This is where i worry. How do we know they are good pieces? We were all told how great the class this year was, along with the transfer guys and it turned out horrible.

I hope to high heavens I'm wrong, but basing our entire season on the hopes that our freshmen and transfers will take over seems less than ideal.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Well we have to count on the new recruits and transfers this coming season cause that's where we are at...short on returning starters and holes to fill. Only time will tell if these guys pan out plus we still have 3 or so more slots to fill. I'd rather go into the off season believing that these new guys will step in and step up than assigning us to 9th place because 2018/19 sucked.
Oh, and don't read Nacluths post that says we are 3 years away from our next peak period...I don't think that will encourage you any.
MasterAxe
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Well we have to count on the new recruits and transfers this coming season cause that's where we are at...short on returning starters and holes to fill. Only time will tell if these guys pan out plus we still have 3 or so more slots to fill. I'd rather go into the off season believing that these new guys will step in and step up than assigning us to 9th place because 2018/19 sucked.
Oh, and don't read Nacluths post that says we are 3 years away from our next peak period...I don't think that will encourage you any.

You're assuming I think he's wrong. I think our next peak is much closer to his prediction than next year.
PurpleOut
Staff
nacluth said:

Basketball success is cyclical unless you can keep a steady run of panned out recruits. This year was supposed to be a peak year of Shannon and TJ as seniors, Kevon and Aaron as juniors. It didn't happen. That's a rough blow. We're really three years out from another true potential peak, but we should be trending up the next couple of years.

Sports in general are cyclical. Every single sport. There isn't ONE college program in the country that hasn't had a down cycle. Remember when Kentucky lost to Robert Morris a few years ago in the first round........of the NIT? Alabama football in the early 2000s? Awful teams. It happens.
PurpleOut
Staff
TallTexan said:

SFAJack_76 said:

Not to get all nitpicky, because TJ's free to do what he wants, & NCAA rules to the contrary, should be able to freely transfer like any of us could do as non student athletes when we were in school. But you're not allowed to recruit current players until they enter the transfer portal... right?

Right. But it happens all the time. Literally all the time. Especially if the kid has a good past relationship with the other coach. I would say it's safe to say any good mid-major player has been contacted by a different school. I know it's hapoened to us before. Look at how many really good freshman transfer these days, it's not all a coincidence.

I don't care for what Brad has done, but I get it. Very easy for them to stay in contact.
Ljacks&Longnecks
MasterAxe said:

Ljacks&Longnecks said:

You're assuming I think he's wrong. I think our next peak is much closer to his prediction than next year.
No I don't think Nacluth is wrong, 3 years til a peak is quite likely if 2019/20 gets us headed back near the top of the conference. My comment was geared more towards the No Keller crowd. Kinda think that those who already seek a change are not wanting to hear about 3 years from now. Much depends on how much success will we have next season as part of said upward trend.
sfajack05
I guess I'm one of those fly by nighters or seagulls as you guys like to say just dropping in bringing in negativity or crapping on your posts/moods or whatever. I've been around since the Delphi boards but haven't posted much on here but definitely read everyday.

If you see something in Keller then good for you.

I honestly did not see one positive this season and I don't think it's going to get any better next season.

I get injuries are a part of the game but Keller made no adjustments throughout the season. He stuck our best player (Shannon) at position that forced him to play a lot of hero ball.

There was no movement on the offense and same with the defense. This was probably the worst defensive team we've had in years. So many opened 3's and layups. It's like the entire league figured Keller out.

No consistency with the lineup and rotation either. Just throw something at the wall and hope it works. Cole has a great game and provides a spark then plays 17 minutes combined the next three games.

We were supposed to have this great recruitment class with Jock, Walker, and everyone else. Jock barely sniffed the floor before he was injured. People said he was a defensive liability but hell our entire team was a defensive liability. Walker barely got a chance until the end of the season. Mitch was the only one that got significant playing time and that's probably because TJ was out.

The team chemistry wasn't there either this year and that's honestly probably what carried the team last year along with the leadership of Ty, Leon, and TJ.

The roster is a mess right now with players getting kicked off/leaving during the year (not sure the true story), not knowing who is returning/who is going to transfer, and what the new guys are going to bring.

I'll be cheering for the team next year no matter what and I'll be the first to come back and say I was wrong if Keller turns it around but from what I saw this season I think we are in for a long ride again.
SFAJack_76
PurpleOut said:

TallTexan said:

SFAJack_76 said:

Right. But it happens all the time. Literally all the time. Especially if the kid has a good past relationship with the other coach. I would say it's safe to say any good mid-major player has been contacted by a different school. I know it's hapoened to us before. Look at how many really good freshman transfer these days, it's not all a coincidence.

I don't care for what Brad has done, but I get it. Very easy for them to stay in contact.
I don't care for what Brad has done, and, if true, I don't like it. After a long career as an assistant, SFA gave him a shot at his first D1 head coach job. He made the most of it, but from an ethical point of view, I don't like it.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

And to be fair, I'd rather TJ go play for someone who he trusts and who knows his skillset and isn't going to sell him a bill of goods to get 10 minutes a game from him.

But so help me if Underwood is selling him a bill of goods to get 10 minutes a game from him.
MasterAxe
sfajack05 said:

I guess I'm one of those fly by nighters or seagulls as you guys like to say just dropping in bringing in negativity or crapping on your posts/moods or whatever. I've been around since the Delphi boards but haven't posted much on here but definitely read everyday.

If you see something in Keller then good for you.

I honestly did not see one positive this season and I don't think it's going to get any better next season.

I get injuries are a part of the game but Keller made no adjustments throughout the season. He stuck our best player (Shannon) at position that forced him to play a lot of hero ball.

There was no movement on the offense and same with the defense. This was probably the worst defensive team we've had in years. So many opened 3's and layups. It's like the entire league figured Keller out.

No consistency with the lineup and rotation either. Just throw something at the wall and hope it works. Cole has a great game and provides a spark then plays 17 minutes combined the next three games.

We were supposed to have this great recruitment class with Jock, Walker, and everyone else. Jock barely sniffed the floor before he was injured. People said he was a defensive liability but hell our entire team was a defensive liability. Walker barely got a chance until the end of the season. Mitch was the only one that got significant playing time and that's probably because TJ was out.

The team chemistry wasn't there either this year and that's honestly probably what carried the team last year along with the leadership of Ty, Leon, and TJ.

The roster is a mess right now with players getting kicked off/leaving during the year (not sure the true story), not knowing who is returning/who is going to transfer, and what the new guys are going to bring.

I'll be cheering for the team next year no matter what and I'll be the first to come back and say I was wrong if Keller turns it around but from what I saw this season I think we are in for a long ride again.

No disagreement here.
No-look
I think it will mostly depend on recruiting. I like it so far. Kachelries, Pope and Hart are solid especially with Kachelries having college experience. Hopefully coaches are trying to fill needs with Juco
TallTexan

Lol.
Ljacks&Longnecks
05, not the fly by nighter to which I was referring.

As to last year, yes total disaster. Many things went wrong and not all limited to coaches. Now I agree, I would have played the freshman much more especially the final 8-10 games when things were lost.
In regard to Bogues at PG, no one liked it but there really was no other option. Walker was a raw freshman, would have been eaten alive at PG, Comeaux not available til mid-season...there really was no other options at that position.

Year before was quite different, you cite team chemistry and some leadership and that made a difference to be sure. Did we have a great year in spite of coaching or in concert with it?

As I have said before I want to see what Keller and crew do this next season with a hopefully mostly healthy roster and better team attitude. Time will tell. Also not afraid to say that if next season turns into a long ride again or another epic fail then yes I could change sides in the Keller debate but I don't think it's time for now.
RedRiverLa
nacluth said:

So Isaac's apparently saying Illinois is a done deal. Bold reporting for someone who doesn't report anymore.
The Illinois beat writer in Champagne is apparently on board with it, too - reporting it's as close as a non-done deal can be to being done. Who is this Isaac you keep referring to?
Lumberjack Battalion
RedRiverLa
MasterAxe said:

Ljacks&Longnecks said:

I agree - to be back on top next year would be fantastic, but I think there's a better chance it's going to be a couple year journey of growth. But as soon as I think that, it's the Southland, one or two breakout transfers could easily change that.
Lumberjack Battalion

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.