TJ Holyfield is leaving

58,928 Views | 248 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PurpleOut
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
purplitis72 said:

I'm an alumni. Why do you ask? I'm not going to reveal my identity to you. When I cut myself I bleed Lumberjack purple. How's that? Do you always giggle when you snort Tall Texan?

And TJ will be an alumni too. In less than 3 weeks.

TJ is a Lumberjack & one day he'll have that diploma hanging in his house or his office. Going to grad school to play basketball after 4 years at SFA doesn't change that.

SFA paid for my college and they didn't get a single basket out of me. Not one. And you know what they did when I finished up? Wrote me recommendation letters to other schools. They didn't resent me for pursuing other opportunities, they actively encouraged it. You gonna say I'm not a Lumberjack because I've got a grad degree from UT?

So you can join the alumni foundation. You can buy season tickets. You can even log on here and annoy us all. But you can't be the arbiter of who's a Lifetime Lumberjack, because TJ's going to be as much of an alumni as the rest of us.

So stop resenting a 22 year old for going for the best opportunities for him. He'll always be a Lumberjack. The diploma & the record books will see to that, whether you like it or not.
TallTexan
Pilotgirl said:

TallTexan said:

Pilotgirl said:

Kinda want him to pick Tech.
I'd say Kansas. As high level as you can get out of his options & I've already resigned myself to UT losing to Kansas, so might as well cheer for TJ while they beat UT.

Wouldn't he get more playing time with Tech?
I really don't know. Think if I was ranking it for pure playing time, I'd probably put Illinois up top, but I'm not familiar enough with Kansas system to really know.

On paper, I think Tech's probably the best fit, but I'm already internally conflicted enough for wanting Chris Beard to do well, so if TJ could go to Kansas, I've already relegated myself to UT losing to them.
Generation II
TJ is a great Lumberjack and will be remembered as such.
Pilotgirl
Lol I see. I think he would have more playing time at Trch vs Kansas and would fit in with their type of play. I don't want him going to Illinois just because of the coaching connection. They haven't been great the last couple years. I want the most exposure for TJ. I think Illinois and Tech want him the most.
No-look
Generation II said:

TJ for President!
TallTexan
I was hoping Shaka would take a look at him as a plug & play Dylan Osetowski replacement.

But I do hope it's one of the Big 12 teams. One of my youth kids from my time in Austin is going to be playing for UT, so if he ends up in the Big 12, I will try to catch a game in Austin when they're both playing.
TallTexan
No-look said:

Generation II said:

TJ for President!
I tried to get SFA to hire him as President so that we could keep him around for a 5th year.

Plus, a young, up & comer like that? We'd get wall to wall media coverage for our Presidential hire.
wahlwesle
If he goes to Illinois, he'll be playing with this dude. An absolute beast.
purplitis72
T. J. lead the team by far in turnovers his last two seasons. He was second in personal fouls the last season he played and first in personal fouls the year before. That's just the plain old facts. Look it up yourselves if you don't believe me. That's why he wasn't first team all conference.
No-look
purplitis72 said:

T. J. lead the team by far in turnovers his last two seasons. He was second in personal fouls the last season he played and first in personal fouls the year before. That's just the plain old facts. Look it up yourselves if you don't believe me. That's why he wasn't first team all conference.
Yeah, probably why he's ranked on #23 in the nation in the transfer portal and why nobody wants him.
nacluth
So what's the odds: 50% Illinois, 30 Tech, 20 Kansas? Personally, I would like to see him at Kansas, but Tech would be a nice second. I don't want him at floundering Illinois - better to be here honestly.
No-look
I would like to see him go where it would be the best fit for him(Which is SFA. Lol). I'm thinking Tech. His defense would be a factor in the manor in which they play. Wherever he goes I will become a fan.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

So what's the odds: 50% Illinois, 30 Tech, 20 Kansas? Personally, I would like to see him at Kansas, but Tech would be a nice second. I don't want him at floundering Illinois - better to be here honestly.
Ya, I'm with you there. I know the Underwood connection, but the other two are where your more likely to be seen by a national audience. Never thought I'd say that about Tech basketball, but here we are.
djsfw57
Don't wait for the thread to end. Just stop reading it.
purplitis72
Arbiter, "Tall Texan"? Regardless of how often you snub me, I've merely stated my opinion and my feelings along with some facts about Holyfield's statistics. I don't wish to be the arbiter of anyones feelings. Respectfully, I don't see how your apples to oranges type explanation has any relevance to our disagreement because, when "you" left SFA to go to graduate school at Texas, you didn't become a member of the opposition. Yes, when T.J plays for another D1 team he is a member of the opposition. He doesn't have to play a game against us to be a member of the opposition considering that the goal of SFA basketball is to win the national championship. I unapologetically will pull for him to get 0 points, 0 rebounds, five fouls and 10 turnovers if we do end up playing his team. Although I don't hate the opposition, I'm not going to pull for them and T.J. has chosen to join the opposition instead of choosing to remain a Lumberjack.
purplitis72
"Tall Texan", "You" queried whether I am a true Lumberjack or not. Here's my answer. My wife is also a class of 69 graduate and my daughter (my only child) who tragically died in an auto accident in 2016, also graduated from SFA. Although we're not wealthy, we are high level varsity club members who have had our names in the football game programs. Not only do we make donations to athletics, we, also make donations to SFA theater, SFA music, SFA Horticulture, Forestry and other things. I wear Lumberjack purple almost every day, and proudly wear my men's basketball championship rings to all athletic events. I bid on and paid good money for those rings in silent auctions that benefitted SFA athletics. We have Lumberjack art and memorabilia all over our walls because I collect SFA art and Memorabilia. We proudly fly the Lumberjack flag and my dog "Sadie-Jack" (who died this morning at the age of 15 years and 9 months) strutted and wore a coat with SFA logo embroidered on it at SFA homecoming parades. When I depart this earth, I will be cremated without a funeral in order to save money that will be included in my entire estate that will go to SFA following my wife's departure from this earth. My IRA will go to SFA men's basketball whom I have requested to give me no notoriety. Does that meet your standards for being a true Lumberjack "Tall Texan"? Any more questions?
BigJack85
Let's give Purplitis a break. Just don't break the rules..... Litis is clearly a dedicated fan !!!! We need more of him NOT LESS. Keep the personal stuff behind the stadium.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
Jacks4460
Thanks for giving to our university purplitis72.. it is very appreciated...
purplitis72
Your welcome 4460! I love my alma mater! I'm mourning the loss of my beloved pet Springer Spaniel. That is what motivated me to send that message. Well, that and Tall Texan's attempt to undermine my Alumni membership and my loyalty to my alma mater along with a couple of forum members comparing me to a pig. If you remember, "Tall Texan" asked me to prove to him that I was really a Lumberjack. Hopefully he will now accept me as one. I'm certainly willing to bury the hatchet and move on.
purplitis72
Thank you Bigjack85!
Jacks4460
purplitis72 we can all disagree about somethings and still get along.. I feel TJ is a Lumberjack 100%.. That kid did some great things for our Basketball program and was going to be a real leader this year then got hurt as we all know... He earned his SFA degree and is a Lumberjack in my book.. I am happy he gets to go experience college basketball somewher else.. think about it purplitis72 would you want to come back to a team with 7-8 new faces and to a coach who you know is on the hotseat?
CertifiedAxeman98
I am curious if anyone has an update on TJ and if he is close to making a decision. Personally, I like Texas Tech or Kansas as they should be a good bet to be playing deep into March. I see why he would go to Illinois to play with Underwood again. Personally a chance to play at Kansas would be hard to pass up unless something comes up from the FBI stuff and impacts Self's job status (doubtful). Tech has potential and a coach with a new contract and TJ could learn a lot from him.
purplitis72
I could tell you of a personal experience that I had with T.J. where he asked me a question that exposed his extreme narcissism to me after he approached me in the stands after practice one day. I would have to have permission from a staff member to actually repeat what he said. But, I will give you my response to him. "I am actually more concerned with the accomplishments of our team than I am with individual personal accolades". It involved his being nominated for the pre season player of the year award in the Southland two seasons ago. He wanted to talk about him but I wanted to talk about the team. My wife and I became good friends with Stevie Parker and Jacob Parker and their parents. Stevie said some things that gave me pause. I have said my piece on my feelings about T.J. I don't want to cross the line of the restrictions of the staff.
Jacks4460
I could understand why you aren't too high on him... I had 4-5 conversations with him this past year and they were all positive..I wish the young man well and it sucks that he left a negative impression on you..
purplitis72
A Native American elder once described his own inner struggles in this manner: Inside of me there are two dogs. One of the dogs is mean and evil. The other dog is good. The mean dog fights the good dog all the time. When asked which dog wins, he reflected for a moment and replied, The one I feed the most.

George Bernard Shaw

Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character. Albert Einstein

Rev007
I've been reading the threads about T.J.'s exodus, and I agree more with Purplitis. Quite often I wondered this past season why T.J. wasn't outwardly exhibiting leadership. True, he is a very nice person, but what was he doing to help the culture of the locker room? I would think a player of his experience and reputation would have more of an influence on the newcomers like Mitch and Karl, and maybe he could have urged Aaron to suck it up and not leave the team. Was his mind made up all along that he was going to leave the team?

If you review footage of the NCAA game against Tech, T.J. was leading the bench in cheering (can't remember why he was on the bench unless it was foul trouble). This past season, I attended many home games and several away games and did a lot of observing of T.J. and others. I don't recall seeing as much fire and intensity. Perhaps it's just not his style, or maybe he was ambivalent.

I won't be reading his box score from whatever team he joins because quite frankly, he's not one of us anymore.
No-look
I wish him well and will follow him at his next gig. He has given us four years of his life. Can't blame him for wanting a change of scenery. A chance to finish his collegiate career with a Kansas or Tech is ok with me.
djsfw57
purplitis72 said:

A Native American elder once described his own inner struggles in this manner: Inside of me there are two dogs. One of the dogs is mean and evil. The other dog is good. The mean dog fights the good dog all the time. When asked which dog wins, he reflected for a moment and replied, The one I feed the most.

George Bernard Shaw

Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character. Albert Einstein

That's some powerful stuff. I'm going to share both of those quotes with my high school students. Thanks for posting them.
purplitis72
Tell me if I am wrong, but I haven't see any statements or tweets from players or former players that have played on our team with T.J. regarding his decision. If so, that's not a very good sign about what type of attitude he really has. If I am wrong would someone please post those tweets.
purplitis72
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Albert Einstein

Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions. Albert Einstein

"I am not elephant! I am not an animal! I am human!" John Merrick (unfortunately AKA "The Elephant Man")
Generation II
You're wrong.
purplitis72
Then show me a tweet or a comment from one of them. I simply said that I have not seen one. If there are some then show me.
Generation II
As soon as someone shows me how to add a picture I will Litis. Lol. I did brief searches and found some from Jovan and Aaron.
purplitis72
Show me tweets and comments Generation II. Photos could have been made anytime. Do you know how to copy and paste? The only comments that I see from Jovan about T.J. on twitter happened before T.J. made his announcement, I do believe. Why would remarks from someone (Aaron Augustin) who also abandoned our team have any relevance? Evidently when you said that I was wrong, you were just making an assumption. I see some comments from a former assistant coach named Derrick Jones. To copy, highlight what it is that you want to copy and then press the command button and then press the letter c. Go to the place where you want to paste and then push command and then the letter v.
No-look
TJ has never been very active on twitter compared to most. Maybe kids now days are more into texting or chats. Hoping he makes the right moves for himself.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.