TJ Holyfield is leaving

58,647 Views | 248 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PurpleOut
PurpleOut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
A lot of speculation, but it's official per this list of transfers:

https://watchstadium.com/news/comprehensive-list-of-college-basketball-players-transferring-12-29-2018/
Txjack
Not totally unexpected, but a punch in the gut nonetheless...Ouch!
PurpleOut
Staff
nacluth
Be interesting to see if he's testing the waters for solid playing time or willing to go somewhere as help.
No-look
Say it ain't so.
PurpleOut
Staff
Been a lot of speculation that it will be Illinois, which makes sense. We'll see. I wish TJ nothing but the best, he'll always be a Lumberjack to me.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Not surprised. We wish him well and move on.
CertifiedAxeman98
I wanted more of this. But I get it and figured this would end up being his choice no mater how much I didn't want it to happen.

PurpleOut
Staff
http://www.ktre.com/2019/03/20/breaking-tj-holyfield-leaving-sfa-graduate-transfer/
MasterAxe
Put it on the record now, we are going to be f-ing terrible next year.
TallTexan
I'm gonna miss this dude. You couldn't ask for a better rep for the University.

I'll pull for him wherever he lands.
sfajack05
Thanks TJ for all the years.

With that said hopefully Keller will be leaving also. Sooner than later.
SFAJack_76
MasterAxe said:

Put it on the record now, we are going to be f-ing terrible next year.
You are consistent.
Rev007
I'm glad we know now while we can still attempt to find a replacement, hopefully one rough and ready JUCO transfer as well as one high school graduate that we can develop.

Good luck TJ. I hope it works out better for you than it did for Devonte. You could have led this team back to another league championship and shown your true worth. Personally, I hope you do well.

The Rev
SFAJack_76
Disappointing, but not a surprise. I don't begrudge TJ seeking another opportunity in life that gives him a different experience, and perhaps enhances his pro career chances. Illinois seems the logical destination. A chance to play for a coach he knows and compete in the Big 10. I wish him well. Right now, he is one of 265 transfers. Probably, he will be one of over 800 again this year.

What I really don't like is the way it became public. It gets reported by some media guy, and then the coach has to confirm it. Where is TJ? Step up, take the mic, and announce your plans. It's not easy but, in my opinion, it is the right way to handle it.
wahlwesle
I think he would've left even if we had a decent year. It's probably more about exeperiencing a different opportunity than it is a message about our program.
SFAJack_76
Jacks4460
SFAJack_76 said:

What I really don't like is the way it became public. It gets reported by some media guy, and then the coach has to confirm it. Where is TJ? Step up, take the mic, and announce your plans. It's not easy but, in my opinion, it is the right way to handle it.
76 this is just an example of how there is no "respect/control in the locker room". No matter how you look at it the locker room is a mess...
BigJack85
How do you see this going? IE will Keller pull it together? Do we look for another sub .500 season?
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
PurpleOut
Staff
BigJack85 said:

How do you see this going? IE will Keller pull it together? Do we look for another sub .500 season?
Too early to tell I think. Keller and the staff have a ton of work to do, and it begins on the recruiting trail. You never know how things are going to go in the next 7 months. Who would have thought at this time last year that we would lose TJ and Aaron and have everything else go wrong? To say it's going to be bad at this point is crazy.
SFAJack_76
Jacks4460 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

76 this is just an example of how there is no "respect/control in the locker room". No matter how you look at it the locker room is a mess...
Not my point at all. This is about TJ showing respect to the thousands of fans, students, and alumni that supported him. In my career, I had reason to leave organizations that I had been a part of for years. I stood up in front of them and told them what was going on, and shared how much I appreciated and would miss them. It wasn't easy, but I never would have just simply slipped away.
MasterAxe
Current reality:

The 9th place team in the Southland just lost 3 of its 4 best players (Shannon, Fitz, TJ) and "could" lose more.

They return one player who has any proven track record, Kevon, and will be completely dependent on freshman/Juco/grad transfers, and the ability of the coaches to develop them, to make the team competitive.

That's the reality, right now. PurpleOut is right, we don't know what will happen, but as of right now...oof.
Jacks4460
SFAJack_76 said:

Jacks4460 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

Not my point at all. This is about TJ showing respect to the thousands of fans, students, and alumni that supported him. In my career, I had reason to leave organizations that I had been a part of for years. I stood up in front of them and told them what was going on, and shared how much I appreciated and would miss them. It wasn't easy, but I never would have just simply slipped away.
MY POINT is that if he repected his coach and locker room then that speech would of happened... He was ready to get out of that drama..We the thousands of fans, alumni,students were the last thing on his mind..
SFASawmillGuy
MasterAxe said:

Current reality:

The 9th place team in the Southland just lost 3 of its 4 best players (Shannon, Fitz, TJ) and "could" lose more.

They return one player who has any proven track record, Kevon, and will be completely dependent on freshman/Juco/grad transfers, and the ability of the coaches to develop them, to make the team competitive.

That's the reality, right now. PurpleOut is right, we don't know what will happen, but as of right now...oof.

At this point if Kyle can take us back to glory next season after this nightmare, I don't think we can question his ability anymore.
Jacks4460
SFA_03 said:

MasterAxe said:

Current reality:

At this point if Kyle can take us back to glory next season after this nightmare, I don't think we can question his ability anymore.
no doubt..
No-look
I'm looking for big things next season at SFA. Gonna be a good year!
MasterAxe
No-look said:

8th Place?
No-look
MasterAxe said:

No-look said:

8th Place?
. Nooo, Gonba win it !
sfajack05
No-look said:

MasterAxe said:

No-look said:

8th Place?
. Nooo, Gonba win it !
Yeah I don't see that happening. Wouldn't be surprised if they finish worst than they did this year. Like I said Keller can recruit but he can't coach.
No-look
sfajack05 said:

No-look said:

MasterAxe said:

No-look said:

8th Place?
. Nooo, Gonba win it !
Yeah I don't see that happening. Wouldn't be surprised if they finish worst than they did this year. Like I said Keller can recruit but he can't coach.
one bad year with injuries and key dismissals don't make one a bad coach. Won three games last year at Katy and almost knocked off Tech.
BigJack85
No-look said:

sfajack05 said:

No-look said:

MasterAxe said:

No-look said:

8th Place?
. Nooo, Gonba win it !
one bad year with injuries and key dismissals don't make one a bad coach. Won three games last year at Katy and almost knocked off Tech.

Agreed but are you not alarmed by the chaos that seems to be surrounding this BBall program? I know I thought Keller had put us back on solid footing after the 18-15 campaign two years ago. Now I'm back to cynicism and doubt. Frankly I would have been much more confident in our renaissance if Keller had played Mitch and Oddyst more given the trajectory of the season.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
corleycl
RedRiverLa
I wish TJ the best. With my family being from Illinois, I watch a lot of Big 10. The Illini are my second team behind SFA, so it was kind of cool that Brad went there. TJ has a wonderfull amount of basketball skill, It's going to be interested to see how he stacks up against others in the Big 10 if that is his choice. We're not talking about Missouri's or LSU's in a down year. It's a brutal test. I'm heading up to Illinois next week, so I'll do a little recon for him!
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
SFA Jack Fanatic
The negativity on here is giving me a headache. Pardon me if I choose not to join your party.

Axe 'em, Jacks!
RedRiverLa
said:

Current reality:

Master Axe, I have found your soulmate.

Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.