Practice Facility thread

57,496 Views | 248 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by SFAJack_76
PurpleOut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Realized this didn't have it's own thread, probably should. Anyone heard anything new on location, timeline, etc?

Was thinking how cool it would be if we had enough room to build the facility just to the right (looking at the front), and then knock down the entire wall on the top concourse so that the two are connected. Leaving it all open to where you can see down on both.

Was looking at Elon's new arena, and they did something similar:

PurpleForever
I really like that design. I also really like the idea of a "hall of fame" room with glass so people can see in. Have artifacts and pictures from big players, teams, or coaches. Could also have finger food for donors.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Man, that's nice! No, nice is not a strong enough word. That's fabulous!!
Pilotgirl
Nice!
BigJack85
I looked at the BOR minutes and saw the PowerPoint interviews.... a couple of them were quite impressive. One of the visual impressions had a complex on the northeast side of WRJ that would also wrap across the front of WRJ. Hopefully some esthetic improvements. I don't see how we won't achieve complete recruiting dominance with the facilities and traditional advantages we already have.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
Jacks4460
If you are looking at the front of WRJ it will be built to the left ..That is what I was told when I asked..
SFA Jack Fanatic
Jacks4460 said:

If you are looking at the front of WRJ it will be built to the left ..That is what I was told when I asked..
??? Is there enough room for it there?
TallTexan
Jacks4460 said:

That could be a great opportunity to create a plaza and nice looking Facade for WRJ.
BigJack85
There are 3 or 4 options explained in the PowerPoint presentations.... and yes on of them includes a north east side building. If you look further there's a "wrap around " option that would include a new facade.
Jacks4460
TallTexan said:

Jacks4460 said:

That could be a great opportunity to create a plaza and nice looking Facade for WRJ.
Yes sir that is what they are leaning too the building with a new facade... They say their is enough room... I looked at it and I have to agree with them...
nacluth
There's a couple hundred feet to the sidewalk, but they may have to take out all the pretty trees.
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

There's a couple hundred feet to the sidewalk, but they may have to take out all the pretty trees.
Didn't realize it is that far. That's doable.
sfa17
Does anyone know the timeline for the project?
SFAXE93
TallTexan said:

Jacks4460 said:

A facade like... but on a greater scale.

SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAXE93 said:

TallTexan said:

A facade like... but on a greater scale.

Ignore this suggestion, Ivey. Ignore! Ignore!
BigJack85
It has substantial completion by late 2020. Early 2021 is probably a better guess. I imagine it will be a substantive recruiting tool by the time get final drawings/renderings.
wahlwesle
The proposals as well as a video of the BOR meetings can be found at the links below.

Initial Proposal Drawings
http://www.sfasu.edu/sites/default/files/2018-11/Basketball-Practice-Facility.pdf

Meeting Video Introducing the Project - Starting around 39:30
http://sfastreaming.sfasu.edu/stream/regents/2018/10-28-2018am.mp4

Detailed Subsequent Proposals
http://www.sfasu.edu/sites/default/files/2018-11/Populous-Interview.pdf
http://www.sfasu.edu/sites/default/files/2018-11/HKS-Interview.pdf
http://www.sfasu.edu/sites/default/files/2018-11/Gensler-Interview-Basketball-Facility.pdf

Meeting Video of Detailed Proposals - Starting around 1:54:00, then 2:28:15, then 3:01:20
http://sfastreaming.sfasu.edu/stream/regents/2018/10-28-2018pm.mp4
sfa17
thank you for sharing
TallTexan
Can't wait.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Outstanding! Thanks for posting! And welcome to the Forums!
SFA Jack Fanatic
So, this year's Freshmen will be the first to make use of the new facility. Sweet.
PurpleOut
Staff
SFAXE93
BigJack85
That is really awesome. I hope that is a direction they go. I've seen some of the architectural renderings. One was close to what is represented. Nice.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Any signs of life around WRJ on this? Surveying? Anything?? Does anyone have any fresh information on this?

I'm anxious to see things start to happen on this sucker!
SFAJack_76
Working through the details. Raising money. Still on track to break ground in June. I hope we see some renderings in the next few weeks.
Jacks4460
not sure how to post a pic but 76 if you would go to the BOR page and click jon BOR report and go to page 42 and post it...gives some progress on it moving forward and being done in Nov. 2021.. its the report for next weeks BOR meeting... what is also interesting is that on Sunday Ryan is talking to the BOR about the in executive session it is titled "Consideration of Personel Matters" and under that it is the Heads Men and Womens Basketball Coaches.. Only two personel listed..
TallTexan
http://www.sfasu.edu/sites/default/files/2019-04/bor-report-04.28-30.2019.pdf
TallTexan
SFAJack_76
Jacks4460 said:

not sure how to post a pic but 76 if you would go to the BOR page and click jon BOR report and go to page 42 and post it...gives some progress on it moving forward and being done in Nov. 2021.. its the report for next weeks BOR meeting... what is also interesting is that on Sunday Ryan is talking to the BOR about the in executive session it is titled "Consideration of Personel Matters" and under that it is the Heads Men and Womens Basketball Coaches.. Only two personel listed..
Somewhere in the BOR by-laws, or somewhere, the AD is required to present an evaluation of WBB, MBB, and football to the BOR on an annual basis. So, this is routine, and I don't anticipate it to be anything more than that. They don't require evaluations of any of the other sports.

Groundbreaking for the new facility is still expected to be in June.
SFAJack_76
Basketball Practice Facility
Project Manager Physical Plant Architect Populous
Contractor KDW, Ltd.
Scope of Work:
Project Profiles
Construct an addition to the William R Johnson Coliseum that will include a basketball practice facility and house men's and women's basketball operations and associated support facilities.
Funding source: Revenue Financing Bond Proceeds
Key Milestones:
Begun: December 2018
Expected Completion: November 2021
Project estimate of $26,000,000 approved by board on October 28, 2018
Project Status:
Programmingandsitesurveycompleted
PurchaseorderandNoticetoProceedissuedforArchitect/Engineeringservices Architectindesigndevelopmentphase
Project Budget Expenditure Encumbered Total to Date Variance
26,000,000 236,831 1,416,407 1,653,238 24,346,762
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

Basketball Practice Facility

Construct an addition to the William R Johnson Coliseum that will include a basketball practice facility and house men's and women's basketball operations and associated support facilities.

Can't wait to see this baby take shape!! Man, is this ever going to help the profile of our MBB and WBB programs and recruiting for both of those!
purplitis72
Bring it on!
TallTexan
Certainly we ought to see some sketches soon right?
BigJack85
I'm hoping soon.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.