2018 Season

112,465 Views | 378 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by SFAJack_76
MasterAxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Call me a skeptic...but we always win the Southland media days.

Recruting...great.
Optimism...great.
Effort...great.
Commitment...great.
"Sky the limit...blah blah blah."

Seems like it's been that way for the better part of the decade.

I'll be impressed when we win some games of meaning...not Tarleton and UIW. But, real meaningful games, which we have barely even played in recently, let alone win.

Our best win recently...from what I can tell, is a win over McNeese in 2016...before promptly losing 5 of 7 to follow.

Byrd seems like a great, high-energy, motivating guy. But, can he win games? Hell, can he keep us from getting blown out every week?
nacluth
If this was the basketball subforum, I would call you a skeptic, but alas this is the football subforum. It's hard to be skeptic when none of our current roster (except 5th year guys) have had any real success. 6-5 seems like a win for Byrd. Top 4 finish seems like excelling. Beating Sam or a late season conference contender would be gigantic. A conference championship seems too unbelievable to even possibly consider.

I will be rooting every game, but it's hard to think anyone could be considered skeptical this season.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
TallTexan
SFA_03 said:

Really impressed with Byrd as well. I know we always hear about the progress and improvements we make but it feels like he's really confident about our chances this year. Maybe we can be a dark horse.

And far as our offense is concerned I'm a little worried with the OC change. It's one thing to do it before spring but it sounds like we'll be going back to an air raid or true spread attack like we had with Moses and Attaway at QB. Foster was much more of a pro style guy so it'll be interesting to see if he can make the adjustment back to air raid.
Of course this is assuming that the offense will be changing.
Ya, Barbay doesn't appear to have had a direct X & O role for a few years, but looks like they're trying to make the best of a bad situation.

The upside: Miss State will not know what to expect.
Jacks4460
We found ourselves a ball coach..
SFA Jack Fanatic
Here's a snippet from an article about new football coaches in the SEC in today's Houston Chronicle, referring to Mississippi State...

"The Bulldogs, coming off a 9-4 season, turned to Joe Moorhead, who served as Fordham's head coach from 2012-15. He was James Franklin's offensive coordinator at Penn State the past two seasons, in drastically improving the Nittany Lions' offense in a short span.

Mississippi State quarterback Nick Fitzgerald said Moorhead sent him a text message just before Moorhead's hiring officially was announced in Starkville, Miss., in November. "He said, 'I want you to clear off a spot on your mantle for the Heisman Trophy, and I want to know your ring size, you're going to need it,'" Fitzgerald said.

That's sweet chatter for the Bulldogs, but Mississippi State must overcome big-time odds to win either an SEC or a national championship, based on this century's results."
TallTexan
That's some kind of confidence. It'd be hilarious if they won the SEC before A&M though.

I'm just not sure what convinces a lot of kids to go to any of the Mississippi schools.
MasterAxe
Not that this is shocking, but:

Fitzgerald will be the best football player we face all year.

Kid is a stud. He was SOOOOO good last year before exploding his leg. We may not see the full-caliber player he is, as they may want to ease him back, but he is legit.
SFAXE93
2012 Losing Season J.C. Harper
2013 Losing Season J.C. Harper
2014 8-5; 5-3; 3rd; Playoffs (1st Round) Clint Conque
2015 Losing Season Clint Conque
2016 Losing Season Clint Conque
2017 Losing Season Clint Conque
2018 Jeff Byrd

Yes, a winning season would be a nice change of pace.

Signed Mike Santiago

"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
TallTexan
Although I've got mixed feelings on whether we should sponsor football with the long term risks of serious injury to our students, if we're gonna play, I'd like to win.

A winning season would be a nice change of pace. I'm not sure I've been excited for a Lumberjack football season since Moses & Company.
SFAELITE
Huge news today/tomorrow
nacluth
Got a live one!
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
TallTexan
SFAELITE said:

Huge news today/tomorrow
Oh don't let me down now!
BigJack85
Hints????
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
beaubrad46
Dropping football would decrease the suicide rate of SFA alumnus and students. Just kidding!!
Lawsuit pending PurpleOut.
RedRiverLa
SFAELITE said:

Huge news today/tomorrow
Nikki Wallace is dropping the first down sponsorship? 1 announcement per game was not a good return on the investment.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
TallTexan
She should ask for pay per down pricing.
SFA Jack Fanatic
RedRiverLa said:

SFAELITE said:

Huge news today/tomorrow
Nikki Wallace is dropping the first down sponsorship? 1 announcement per game was not a good return on the investment.
Ohhhhh... That was baaaddd, RedRiver....
SFAJack_76
Hope springs eternal.

TallTexan
I'm honestly not sure he made that kick...

I mean, woohoo, look at that field goal Defense!
RedRiverLa
edstile said:

RedRiverLa said:

SFAELITE said:

Huge news today/tomorrow

I've been at every home game since the start of the '15 season and I always leave feeling bad for her. I'm having a brain freeze, but who was the third down sponsor this year? It sounded like it could be the name of the opponents team if you didnt know better. When we were on defense, the PA would always say, 'it's another _____ third down' and inevitably someone around us who wasn't a regular would say 'wait, I thought we were playing the (insert name of mascot of actual team)' and be automatically confused.
Lumberjack Battalion
SFAJack_76
RedRiverLa said:

edstile said:

RedRiverLa said:

SFAELITE said:

Huge news today/tomorrow

I've been at every home game since the start of the '15 season and I always leave feeling bad for her. I'm having a brain freeze, but who was the third down sponsor this year? It sounded like it could be the name of the opponents team if you didnt know better. When we were on defense, the PA would always say, 'it's another _____ third down' and inevitably someone around us who wasn't a regular would say 'wait, I thought we were playing the (insert name of mascot of actual team)' and be automatically confused.
Pilgrims? I think.
RedRiverLa
SFAJack_76 said:

RedRiverLa said:

edstile said:

RedRiverLa said:

SFAELITE said:

Huge news today/tomorrow

Pilgrims? I think.
Yes!
Lumberjack Battalion
HitSomeBody
The offense is changing. There is going to be more air ball time. Lots of screens as well. My son was doing well learning the plays and after Conque left it all changed and he is getting it but said it is new for him. I asked what's so new and his reply was I have always played in a run first never pass offence and now it all the screen plays I am having to learn.

Also, just from my discussion with him I am not so sure Sawyer is locked as the starter. It sounds like to me the transfer from Texas is winning the hearts and minds of the players and his work ethic is 10 times greater. I guess we see. I know when he transferred he said he did because he wants to play. It sounds like he wants it and is going after it.
SFAJack_76
HitSomeBody said:

The offense is changing. There is going to be more air ball time. Lots of screens as well. My son was doing well learning the plays and after Conque left it all changed and he is getting it but said it is new for him. I asked what's so new and his reply was I have always played in a run first never pass offence and now it all the screen plays I am having to learn.

Also, just from my discussion with him I am not so sure Sawyer is locked as the starter. It sounds like to me the transfer from Texas is winning the hearts and minds of the players and his work ethic is 10 times greater. I guess we see. I know when he transferred he said he did because he wants to play. It sounds like he wants it and is going after it.
Thanks for the insight. Tough to be installing a new offense about five weeks before the first game. Hope it works out.
HitSomeBody
Also, don't get any hopes up or tie your decision to how well the season goes based on the MS game. The starters will play but coaches have said limited because they do not want starters injured before conference begins.

Therefore, we are going to, more than likely, see a lot of 2nd and 3rd stringers out on the field. My guess is MS is thinking we don't need to use up our starters to win so I think they will be playing backups too (but their backups will still be tough to beat).
HitSomeBody
Jacks4460 said:

TallTexan said:

Who's our S&C guy?

A consistent injury problem would point to problems in nutrition, training, or practice methods IMO.
You are 100% spot on...But if I was to be a guessing man we have 0 nutrition guidelines for the football team.. They wouldnt want to spend the $$ on it.. This is where I was talking about an athletic training table.. For all sports... Not for regular students but student-athletes only.. if we want to get better then we are going to have to improve (meaning spend $$) on training and nutrition for our student-athletes..
The new S&C coach is doing well. He has focused on speed and strength. To get the best of both he is working a lot on flexibility with stretching more than they ever have and warming the body up to be able to use the most out of their muscles.

He also has put in a nutrition plan.. Players get a plan with collard dots. Each collar represents a food group. So, my son looks at Monday breakfast and sees he needs 3 yellow dots portions and 2 blue dot portions for breakfast. He goes to cafeteria and looks for the food with the collar dots he needs and gets the portions.

IMO there is a flaw in this process, the place where they eat. You can only eat powdered potatoes and powdered eggs so many times before you start heading elsewhere for the real stuff. So, the plan is good just the place to go eat needs to be improved.
SFAJack_76
HitSomeBody said:

Jacks4460 said:

You are 100% spot on...But if I was to be a guessing man we have 0 nutrition guidelines for the football team.. They wouldnt want to spend the $$ on it.. This is where I was talking about an athletic training table.. For all sports... Not for regular students but student-athletes only.. if we want to get better then we are going to have to improve (meaning spend $$) on training and nutrition for our student-athletes..
The new S&C coach is doing well. He has focused on speed and strength. To get the best of both he is working a lot on flexibility with stretching more than they ever have and warming the body up to be able to use the most out of their muscles.

He also has put in a nutrition plan.. Players get a plan with collard dots. Each collar represents a food group. So, my son looks at Monday breakfast and sees he needs 3 yellow dots portions and 2 blue dot portions for breakfast. He goes to cafeteria and looks for the food with the collar dots he needs and gets the portions.

IMO there is a flaw in this process, the place where they eat. You can only eat powdered potatoes and powdered eggs so many times before you start heading elsewhere for the real stuff. So, the plan is good just the place to go eat needs to be improved.
Good stuff on the S&C coach. It would br great if Ivey heard from someone close to the program about the available "food." I believe he would fix it.
SFAJack_76
HitSomeBody said:

Also, don't get any hopes up or tie your decision to how well the season goes based on the MS game. The starters will play but coaches have said limited because they do not want starters injured before conference begins.

Therefore, we are going to, more than likely, see a lot of 2nd and 3rd stringers out on the field. My guess is MS is thinking we don't need to use up our starters to win so I think they will be playing backups too (but their backups will still be tough to beat).
Tough one. How long to play starters to avoid injury, yet get them needed reps against live competition. Particularly when installing a new offense.
Jacks4460
HitSomeBody said:

HitSomeBody thank you for your input. I got made fun of when I said that Covey would be competing for the starting job..
Jacks4460

We need a nutrition table for sure... They are still eating in East College which is where I ate back in 89-92 and it was old back then. The powdered eggs get old and the powdered potatoes you dont even look at.. We need a training table for all our student-athletes...I sent Ryan a tweet on this..
Jacks4460
SFAJack_76 said:

Good stuff on the S&C coach. It would br great if Ivey heard from someone close to the program about the available "food." I believe he would fix it.

He is listening. I really love his communication..
SFA Jack Fanatic
HitSomeBody said:

Great info. Keep it coming!
SFAJack_76
Jacks4460 said:

They are still eating in East College which is where I ate back in 89-92 and it was old back then. The powdered eggs get old and the powdered potatoes you dont even look at.
Sounds like the same food from 72-74. This was an amazing amount of pizza delivered to dorm 16 (which I don't think has changed at all.)
TallTexan
Idk about you guys but I had delicious food in both cafeterias in 09. Even had some great healthy options. Like good enough that friends living off campus would come eat with me.
PurpleOut
Staff
TallTexan said:

Idk about you guys but I had delicious food in both cafeterias in 09. Even had some great healthy options. Like good enough that friends living off campus would come eat with me.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.