2018 Season

113,065 Views | 378 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by SFAJack_76
SFASawmillGuy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TallTexan said:

Those are some sharp looking Tarleton unis.

I agree. I honestly miss the slick uniforms we had during the 09-10 seasons. Nothing fancy. All business.
SFASawmillGuy
TallTexan said:

SFA_03 said:

Like I said before, if by some miracle we can stay in the game, play to win, but once it starts getting out of hand we need to just try and get back to Nac with all of our key players healthy.
We can't afford losing Foster or any other key players in a game that is essentially a pay day for us.
Which is why we'll be taking volunteers to pretend to be our star players. If we're likely to get shutout, no point putting somebody in harm's way.

Ed has said he'll fill in for Foster week 1, anyone want to take the RB position?

Dibs on kicker. It won me free whataburger for a year once.
beaubrad46
I'm not quite ready to end my life not even for my alma mater. Sorry! As far as the Uniforms. How about vintage 1950 with leather helmets. At least we could get a few laughs.
Ljacks&Longnecks
SFA88 said:

Definitely over. There is a reason Vegas makes money but I think MS State scores 52 by themselves.

Well I plan to be in Vegas over Labor Day weekend so if anyone needs to place a wager you can let me know....
Based on our dismal record vs FBS schools and all the talent Miss St has returning I won't touch the point spread...over/under if it stays around 52 yes.
I fully support Coach Byrd and I feel like this team can make some noise in conference but these money games are not any fun and painful to watch.....
SFAXE93
Since the year 2000

SFA against FBS Teams (2-14)

Mississippi State
L SMU 14-58
L Texas Tech 17-69
L #3 TCU 7-70
L Kansas State 16-55 (Was competitive in the first half)
L Texas Tech 13-61
L SMU 0-52
L Baylor 0-48
L Texas State 26-35
L Texas A&M 7-48
L SMU 23-31(Was leading in the 4th quarter)
L TCU 7-67
L Tulsa 7-45
L Arizona 10-28
W Louisiana-Monroe 23-21
L Texas Tech 3-58
W Louisiana Tech 38-31

"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
SFAXE93
College Football ranks Miss State O-line the 8th best in the nation.
beaubrad46
I wish that we didn't have to play those damned money games.
SFAXE93
We played them a couple of years back.

Too bad we are not playing them now as it would be cool to have the Div. II National Champions (if we are going to play a Div. II team) for our home opener.

SFAXE93
Stadium looks ready.

SFAXE93
SFAXE93
beaubrad46
I hope that that is not what our stands look like (empty) when we play a game this year.
Lawsuit pending PurpleOut.
nacluth
Alize Ward was the only Preseason All-Conference first team selection for SFA. He got 1st team defense, but he also got selected for 2nd team offense. Pretty impressive!

Tamrick Pace (WR) and Caleb Lewallen (P) got second team offense while Ryan Woods (LB) and Trenton Gordon (DB) got second team defense.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
MasterAxe
Optimistic me: "Alize is a great two-way player! What an athlete!"

Pessimistic me: "Wait, we have so little talent that our best defender has to play offense? Who is this, Jabara Williams?"

Turns out, he was a 1st team All-Defensive team and 2nd Team All-Purpose/Returner.

Ok, Thanks, Bye.
SFA Jack Fanatic
MasterAxe said:

Optimistic me: "Alize is a great two-way player! What an athlete!"

Pessimistic me: "Wait, we have so little talent that our best defender has to play offense? Who is this, Jabara Williams?"

Any good psychiatrists in your area, Master?
nacluth
Yeah he did some great return work for us. Lord knows our offense needed it. He would be put in a couple times as an extra WR and I believe out of the wildcat once or twice.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
PurpleOut
Staff
Yeah I keep seeing our kick return stats posted around Twitter. I mean, that's cool and all, but that just means the other team is kicking off to us because they are scoring more.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

Yeah I keep seeing our kick return stats posted around Twitter. I mean, that's cool and all, but that just means the other team is kicking off to us because they are scoring more.
Gotta think of the safeties from our unrelenting defense.
beaubrad46
I am a skeptic. Every year I hear how good our recruits and returning players are, but after they have been bullied over by the opposition several times I become very disappointed and lose interest. Recruiting is killing us. I am going to give coach Byrd a chance but we need a recruiter.
SFASawmillGuy
beaubrad46 said:

I am a skeptic. Every year I hear how good our recruits and returning players are, but after they have been bullied over by the opposition several times I become very disappointed and lose interest. Recruiting is killing us. I am going to give coach Byrd a chance but we need a recruiter.

It helps when those recruits aren't injured. We have been consistently at the top of the fcs in terms of recruiting classes. But those players keep getting hurt, which is basically beyond the coaches control. Injuries are a part of the game and unfortunately no matter how good our starters are our backups still won't be better than other teams starters.
TallTexan
Who's our S&C guy?

A consistent injury problem would point to problems in nutrition, training, or practice methods IMO.
Jacks4460
TallTexan said:

Who's our S&C guy?

A consistent injury problem would point to problems in nutrition, training, or practice methods IMO.
You are 100% spot on...But if I was to be a guessing man we have 0 nutrition guidelines for the football team.. They wouldnt want to spend the $$ on it.. This is where I was talking about an athletic training table.. For all sports... Not for regular students but student-athletes only.. if we want to get better then we are going to have to improve (meaning spend $$) on training and nutrition for our student-athletes..
beaubrad46
I don't disagree but one reason for the injuries, I believe, is that too many of those recruits had histories of injuries when we signed them. I can understand gambling on recruits in a few cases but when you have only 63 scholarships are less you shouldn't go willy nilly in the process. Kaspar gambled on Walkup and Underwood benefited after Kaspar helped find Thomas better medical care and surgeons. This years basketball is gambling on FItzgerald but they wouldn't dare go overboard by gambling on three or four. Recruiting, recruiting, recruiting! Sam is good at it in football and we haven't been.
Jacks4460
Coach Byrd fixing to be on ESPN3 which is online.. Look for the Southland Conference Media day..On at 1:45pm
TallTexan
Byrd seems confident and is incredibly animated. I can see why the guys like him.
TallTexan
But he looks & sounds like Lucas Black's dad lol.
Jacks4460
Coach Byrd just said Barbay is the OC and Moses is a CO-OC... Great choice Coach Byrd..
Jacks4460
TallTexan said:

Byrd seems confident and is incredibly animated. I can see why the guys like him.
Being a former player and son of a Football Coach.. This man is definitely a players coach..He is gonna motivate..
TallTexan
Jacks4460 said:

Coach Byrd just said Barbay is the OC and Moses is a CO-OC... Great choice Coach Byrd..
Glad you caught the name, I just heard "asdfhjkl" will be OC lol. Looking forward to seeing how the offense works.
TallTexan
Ryan Ivey needs to give this guy an extension. Not sure how we'll look on the field, but I'm all in on any coach who talks about the stupidity of the FBS "playoffs".
Jacks4460
Since Conque will probally not come back.. They need to take his salary and hire another offense assistant and then divide it up amongst the other assistants... its already in the budget...
TallTexan
Jacks4460 said:

Since Conque will probally not come back.. They need to take his salary and hire another offense assistant and then divide it up amongst the other assistants... its already in the budget...
That money will probably be tied up until Conque is officially let go.

However, we've got to be getting close to an end of the situation I'd bet.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

Jacks4460 said:

That money will probably be tied up until Conque is officially let go.

However, we've got to be getting close to an end of the situation I'd bet.
I looked at the BOR meeting agenda (report) and it looks like they are giving Byrd a 4 month stipend in lieu of a major salary change. My guess is that you are correct (Tall). The termination is near. My guess is before the end of August.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
TallTexan
I'd hope it's resolved before the first game. Preferably before camp starts.
SFASawmillGuy
Really impressed with Byrd as well. I know we always hear about the progress and improvements we make but it feels like he's really confident about our chances this year. Maybe we can be a dark horse.

And far as our offense is concerned I'm a little worried with the OC change. It's one thing to do it before spring but it sounds like we'll be going back to an air raid or true spread attack like we had with Moses and Attaway at QB. Foster was much more of a pro style guy so it'll be interesting to see if he can make the adjustment back to air raid.
Of course this is assuming that the offense will be changing.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.