2018 Season

112,541 Views | 378 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by SFAJack_76
PurpleOut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
MasterAxe said:

What a great start to the season.

What a crap show our program has become.

Welcome to SFA football, Ryan Ivey.

Maybe it IS Ryan Ivey.
SFAXE93
I wonder who is in charge of the team until the conclusion of the investigation?

Byrd or Hammock?

SFAJack_76
University policy. Not NCAA policy. Interesting.

There is no way this is good for the program.
MasterAxe
SFAJack_76 said:

This sounds not ideal.
I seem to recall he had "policy" issues at UCA as well. Those were of the employee relation variety, if I recall.

Here's hoping beyond hope that this is a non issue, whatever it is.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

Yeah what the f?

Wow. Did not see that coming.
TallTexan
SFAXE93 said:

I wonder who is in charge of the team until the conclusion of the investigation?

Byrd or Hammock?

Sawmill braintrust. This is our time to shine and make the case that we should be hired after this season.
Jacks4460
I have tried so hard to be supportive of Clint but this does it... I cant believe he would do anything to distract the team from preparing to play this season... I wondered if he is spending too much $$ for summer school or somethign like that... I know we have loaded up on players and all 84 are here working out... It wouldnt surprise me if it is something along this lines.. I am sure he had to bribe(which he shouldnt have too)some players with paying for summer school so they would stay around and work out with the team.. If a player that is on scholarship is scheduled to graduate then the school should pay for summer time education..If he is a turd student then dont pay for jack crap in the summer.. I hope Ryan can fix this...
Jacks4460
Plus I heard Conques house was on the market back 4-5 months ago.. There must of been a reason for that??
SFA Jack Fanatic
Speculating accomplishes nothing.
Jacks4460
Get coach Graves out of retirement...
Jacks4460
SFAXE93 said:

Byrd or Hammock?

Barbay
cboothe09
That would be a NCAA violation, this was a University Policy violation.
nacluth
Well that turned quickly.
SFASawmillGuy
Maybe the athletic department was tired of the sawmill forums being so slow, so they had to add a little excitement.
PurpleOut
Staff
He had an "improper relationship" at UCA that went public before the 2010 season. Agree it sucks to speculate, but I'm assuming it's something similar.

Doesn't sound good from what I'm hearing.
SFAJack_76
The press release said it could take several weeks to investigate. It needs to be complete, but much quicker than several weeks.
Jacks4460
PurpleOut said:

He had an "improper relationship" at UCA that went public before the 2010 season. Agree it sucks to speculate, but I'm assuming it's something similar.

Doesn't sound good from what I'm hearing.
PurpleOut I can confirm that I am hearing the same thing.. Its not good...
SFAJack_76
Jacks4460 said:

SFAXE93 said:

Byrd or Hammock?

Barbay
This is a big deal. As shocked as we are, imagine what is going on with the team and staff. Additionally, for another two weeks, there is no AD on site. There must be someone providing leadership.

Should the investigation lead to termination, I don't see any way that a search and hire is done before this season. So, we are looking at having an interim coach for the full season. A quick look at the bios does not show me a clear answer. Essentially no head coach experience I can see. (Warren High School doesn't count.)

Also, remember that Conque is the de facto offensive coordinator this year. Suddenly someone has to assume that role.

2019 recruiting comes to a screeching halt. Do the just announced camps in Houston and Dallas still happen?

What a mess!

SFAXE93
Someone on the staff is going to get an opportunity.
"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
BigJack85
This is ominous. I don't think Clint will be leading the team or be part of the university at the beginning of the season. We are going to have an interim coach..... Just what we don't need.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
cboothe09
I think Barbay can handle a lot of the off season duties, and could definitely hold his own recruiting the Houston/Golden Triangle areas. Maybe not quite ready for interim HC, but I'd give him a look as interim OC since we might need one of those too...I get the feeling Byrd gets the nod to lead the team this year and audition for the future
SFA Jack Fanatic
This is the kind of crapola that we're supposed to read about in the papers that's happening at OTHER schools, not our SFA!!! I'm damned disappointed! (Pardon my French)
nacluth
Agreed Ed. Hope there is a quick fix, but optimism about this new season just found a new home in the wastebin.
nacluth
Congrats for joining the All-star 1000 post level.
TallTexan
Ya this is a real odd situation without any AD on campus at the moment.

If Conque is fired, you've got basically two options:

• (A currently non coaching HC) Miles and Mack come to mind, but we'd likely have to have someone less prominent. You'd want to look at former head coaches who could be a long term fit. A KC Keeler type who's taking an involuntary year off or wants to get back in the game.
  • (Someone currently on staff) The likeliest option, let Ivey pick who he think has the most upside and give them a go.
Either way, we're likely running a search all season to find the right head coach in December, which is what many of us expected to be doing either way.

Maybe there's an SFA alum out there with HC experience on some level?

It'll be interesting to see what happens, but I bet we don't hear much for two weeks until Ivey's on campus.

Edit: Sorry, this was supposed to say Miles, not Briles. That scumbag should be kicked off the face of this planet.
TallTexan
edstile said:

(Pardon my French)
I had no idea you were bilingual Ed, such a Renaissance man.

Do you sell many cruises during football season? If it's a slow time of year, you could fill in as HC.
nacluth
I doubt there would be much support for someone who is out for ethical reasons to be picked up to replace Conque. We knew about his ethical issue coming in, and SFA decided to give him a second chance. If (and I know nothing about anything) it turns out that this is another ethical misstep for him, I cannot believe a new AD would take the chance with someone in a similar situation despite name and pedigree... but I'm usually wrong where football choices are made.
Jacks4460
TallTexan said:

Maybe there's an SFA alum out there with HC experience on some level?

Coach Chizik is out of coaching right now... He isnt an alum but spent sometime in Nacogdoches.. Kevin Atkinson the HC at Flower Mound Marcus is a SFA alum and would be a great leader and head coach..

TallTexan
nacluth said:

I doubt there would be much support for someone who is out for ethical reasons to be picked up to replace Conque. We knew about his ethical issue coming in, and SFA decided to give him a second chance. If (and I know nothing about anything) it turns out that this is another ethical misstep for him, I cannot believe a new AD would take the chance with someone in a similar situation despite name and pedigree... but I'm usually wrong where football choices are made.
Definitely. We wouldn't want to go down the same route and give someone a second chance on the ethical front. I was thinking more along the lines of a second chance for a coach who just didn't win enough at the end, like Mack Brown.

Mack as an example, not sure we could actually hire Mack.
TallTexan
Chizik's an interesting idea.
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

edstile said:

(Pardon my French)
I had no idea you were bilingual Ed, such a Renaissance man.

Do you sell many cruises during football season? If it's a slow time of year, you could fill in as HC.
Texan, long, long ago in a lifetime far, far away I was a high school tennis coach. Unless they've added lobs, backhands, foot faults, and serves to football game plans, I'm not your man. Sorry.

BTW, you seem to be able to telecommute on handling other SFA issues (like constructing a BB training facility in WRJ, coordinating Isaac's move to Dallas, and designing an on-campus baseball/softball complex). Perhaps you could strap on a headset out there on the left coast and be the HC and/or OC this Fall. What say ye??
beaubrad46
This is devastating for this season. Say it ain't so!
TallTexan
I'd be happy to fill in. I'll just make sure we get TJ the ball in the low post to score... oh dang it, this is football isn't it.

Don't worry, I'll always call the touchdown play!
RedRiverLa
MasterAxe said:

SFAJack_76 said:

This sounds not ideal.
I seem to recall he had "policy" issues at UCA as well. Those were of the employee relation variety, if I recall.

Here's hoping beyond hope that this is a non issue, whatever it is.
Yep, an inappropriate relationship he had to publicly apologize for - google it. Geez. And no worries guys, I was the honorary coach at the 2015 Spring game, so I'm offering my experience to the new AD. I still have the play sheet, so I'm ready to step in now, I have eliminated the flanker screen from the play sheet, so that should get me a lot of support from the sawmill fan base. Oh, and I will work for one free Kinnard Guitar - somebody hook me up.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
SFAJack_76
Perhaps my sarcasm meter is off, and I think there is zero chance it would happen, but if Briles ever set foot on campus in any official capacity I would never give another penny to the cause.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.