2018 Season

112,702 Views | 378 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by SFAJack_76
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Good stuff there '76. Hope we get the rust shaken off and ready for next month.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
SFAXE93
http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.as...ec&tm=&src=FCS

#4 Sam Houston State
#16 Central Arkansas
#17 McNeese State
#18 Nicholls

Others Receiving Votes
Stephen F. Austin (7)
Southeastern Louisiana (1)
"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
HitSomeBody
SFAXE93 said:

I hope we get OL Jimmy Price 6-5; 305 back.

He started as a true freshman, but is now at Tyler Jr.

He took a visit to Baylor over the weekend so we will see.
Jimmy is gone and not coming back. He went to TJC to be able to move up somewhere else. Great player and kid. All the best wishes for him and his future.
SFAXE93
I figured that could also be the reason as well, we always have a few who go that route.
cboothe09
My predication:

SFA (8-3) - This is obviously best case scenario with the team moving on from the Conque saga, and completely buying in to what Byrd is selling. This team could easily drop another two or three games along the way. Sam Houston and Central Arkansas will not be easy wins. Abilene will be looking for revenge, and I'm not sure playing Northwestern State on short rest from what will be a physical game at Nicholls will be a good situation.
9/1 @ Mississippi State - L
9/8 vs. Tarleton State - W
9/15 @ Incarnate Word - W
9/22 vs. Abilene Christian - W
9/29 @ McNeese - L
10/6 vs. Sam Houston (@NRG Stadium) - W
10/13 vs. Central Arkansas - W
10/20 @ Houston Baptist - W
10/27 vs. Lamar - W
11/10 @ Nicholls - L
11/15 vs. Northwestern State - W
MasterAxe
I so badly want this to be true. 8-3 would likely result in a playoff berth.

I just can't see this being true, with the struggles we have had with, in my mind, a complete lack of talent at some positions, I just don't think we win 8.

Before Conque mess happened, I told myself 7 wins would be a great year.

I still believe that, although, I think we are more realistic to 5 wins, which means a few of the games you mentioned, Sam, UCA, NWST, go sour for us.

Here's hoping I'm wrong...but, dang it, I just don't like the vibe to the season already.
nacluth
Wow, I want to go with your predictions. I just looked at the list and I only came up with three wins, but I'm looking for a new bandwagon to ride on though now that the Conque train stalled in the Donner Pass. Bring on a new season.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
cboothe09
I see a favorable conference schedule, in a conference that isn't that strong this year. Sam will be down. I actually have them finishing third with Nicholls and McNeese going 1-2. We have holes, but we seem to have more enthusiasm and competition in camp than we have had in a long time. Maybe Tarleton sends us crashing back to earth, but this is the time of year for optimism...
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFA QB Q&A's...

TallTexan
nacluth said:

Wow, I want to go with your predictions. I just looked at the list and I only came up with three wins, but I'm looking for a new bandwagon to ride on though now that the Conque train stalled in the Donner Pass. Bring on a new season.

Donner Pass. Nacluth going historical on us.
PurpleOut
Staff
cboothe09 said:

I see a favorable conference schedule, in a conference that isn't that strong this year. Sam will be down. I actually have them finishing third with Nicholls and McNeese going 1-2. We have holes, but we seem to have more enthusiasm and competition in camp than we have had in a long time. Maybe Tarleton sends us crashing back to earth, but this is the time of year for optimism...
Eh, I'd be careful there. While our league overall isn't as good as a lot of FCS leagues, most pre-season rankings have Sam in the Top 5, and then UCA, McNeese, and Nicholls all in the Top 25. We don't know how accurate that is yet, but that's 4 games that we more than likely won't be favored in. 6-5 is the best case scenario that I see right now. I know, I'm very pessimistic when it comes to our football program.
beaubrad46
Six and five is pretty optimistic. I'm skeptical I see us as a five and six team at the best. three and eight would not be shocking. I do not believe that Sam will be down by much. They are loaded with very good receivers and have a very good offensive line. Nichols should be very good. I have Central Arkansas as the third place teanm and McNeese fourth.
Lawsuit pending PurpleOut.
SFASawmillGuy
Here's my realistic rankings.

1. McNeese- Reloaded and returning a ton of talent. Will be hard to beat.
2. Nichols- not the most talented, but they're big and they're physical. They'll make a run.
3. SHSU- they're a complete unknown. Too many key spots replaced. But the winning tradition is there.
4. SELA- near the end of last year SELA started to come alive. I think they've found an identity.
5. SFA- complete wildcard. We could be really good or bad. I'm very excited to see.
6. UCA- completely rebuilding, having way too much to replace and too many new things. UCA will be back. Not this year though.
7. ACU- They're almost there. Give it a couple more years.
8. UIW- I think they'll surprise some people, but still be down.
9. Lamar- not a lot of talent returning.
10. NWST- at least we're not HBU
11. HBU- too bad we're HBU
TallTexan
I've got Nicholls beating Kansas in the season opener FWIW.
SFAXE93

Seems like true freshman WR:#85 Quentyian "Q" Borders 6-2; 180 will be seeing the field this season.
SFAJack_76
ICYMI.

SFAJack_76
RedRiverLa
SFA_03 said:

2. Nichols- not the most talented, but they're big and they're physical. They'll make a run.
3. SHSU- they're a complete unknown. Too many key spots replaced. But the winning tradition is there.
4. SELA- near the end of last year SELA started to come alive. I think they've found an identity.
5. SFA- complete wildcard. We could be really good or bad. I'm very excited to see.
6. UCA- completely rebuilding, having way too much to replace and too many new things. UCA will be back. Not this year though.
"At Least We're Not HBU". Ha! That should be on NWST practice shirts.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
Jacks4460
RedRiverLa said:

SFA_03 said:

"At Least We're Not HBU". Ha! That should be on NWST practice shirts.
NWST got a new OC that is a hell of a coach... He was the HC at Trinity Valley CC last year and will one day be a HC somewhere in major college ball.. He will have them playing alot better than past years thats for sure..
PurpleOut
Staff
They got some pretty decent transfers as well. Plus, they beat us last year.
Ljacks&Longnecks
I think the McLaughlin preview article is spot on...there are a lot of "ifs" but if this group can become a band of brothers and have only a normal amount of injuries then I believe they can be very competitive this year.
Once we get past the damn MS money game...get a couple of early wins vs Tarleton and UIW then see what these guys can do.
I'm thinking of making the song "Free Bird" (now of course Free Byrd) my pre game fight song this year!
"Won't you fly high Free Byrd yeah")
SFAXE93
SFA picked up another transfer

DT:#53 Taaj Bakari 6-3; 335 Mansfield, Texas (Mansfield Legacy/Oklahoma State) (Jr.) *** #43 DT; #104 TX
Offers from Oklahoma State, TCU, Colorado State, North Texas

Prior to SFA: Spent three seasons at Big 12 Conference mainstay Oklahoma State Appeared in 12 total games, including 11 as a sophomore in 2017 Played in two FBS bowl games, Oklahoma State's 38-8 rout of 11th-ranked Colorado in the 2016 Alamo Bowl and the Cowboys' 30-21 win over No. 22 Virginia Tech in the 2017 Camping World Bowl Registered five solo tackles, including three tackles for a loss of nine yards, during the 2017 season Had a fumble recovery in the 50-39 victory over 22nd-ranked West Virginia As a redshirt freshman assisted on a tackle for loss late in Oklahoma's 2016 Alamo Bowl triumph Utilized his redshirt year as a true freshman in 2015 Played for head coach Chris Melson at Mansfield Legacy High School Finished his final season with 65 total tackles, including 45 solo stops, five sacks, six tackles for loss and two forced fumbles As a junior, totaled 44 total tackles, 22 solo stops, nine tackles for loss, six sacks, and two forced fumbles A first-team all-district selection and the outstanding defensive lineman of the year in both 2013 and 2014 Named defensive MVP and team MVP at Mansfield Legacy An academic all-district selection and served on the student council Named "Man of Tomorrow" at Mansfield Legacy Born Aug. 29, 1997, in Irving, Texas Son of Tanya and Aalim Bakari Majoring in management information systems.
SFAXE93
Another transfer from Missouri. SFA offered him in 2017.

DE:Caleb Sampson 6-4; 270 Covington, Louisiana (Northlake Christian/Missouri) (R/Fr.) *** #78 DT; #48 LA
Offers from SFA, Missouri, KSU, Southern Miss, Southern,Tulane, Ball State, interest from LSU, Texas Tech, Tennessee

Prior to SFA: Spent one season at Southeastern Conference member Missouri ... Utilized his redshirt year as a true freshman in 2017 ... Large, physical defensive tackle prospect out of high school who developed into a force as a senior at Northlake Christian ... Has a soft-spoken demeanor but plays with an edge on the field ... Boasts an impressive, athletic skill set that teams with his size to make him very physically gifted ... Had 31 tackles in the trenches, including 29 of the solo variety, for the Wolverines as a senior in 2016 ... Also had 2.5 sacks on the season ... As a junior, turned in similar numbers, amassing 30 stops and 2.5 sacks with one interception ... Played for head coach Anthony Agresta ... Younger brother of Lumberjack junior defensive end Gary Sampson ... Majoring in Psychology.
beaubrad46
I like it!
Lawsuit pending PurpleOut.
BigJack85
Huge. Byrd is showing some skills!!!!!!!!! Maybe a good sign ....
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
Jacks4460
This is what I am talking about!!!! Now starting to get transfers like Prison Tech.. I sure hope we can win and keep coach Byrd.. I think he and his staff are hard workers and will do what it takes to get us to the top.. I am always for recruiting kids that we know will not get the first round of recruiting but establishing a relationship with them so if things didnt work out where they signed then they would remember SFASU. Especially big time local East Texas kids...
Jacks4460
SFAXE93 when are these Kats eligible?
SFA Jack Fanatic
Jacks4460 said:

Ditto to that. Eligible now? They sure would give us some immediate depth.

Also, I haven't seen anything on Oglesby. Anyone know how he has looked? Will he be the starter at running back?
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

Huge. Byrd is showing some skills!!!!!!!!! Maybe a good sign ....
I've been impressed by the continued progress in recruiting. Especially with transfers.
TallTexan
Jacks4460 said:

Idk, I'd have to talk to the parole board.

Oh you meant these new players, not the Huntsville Residents, disregard the previous comment then. .
Jacks4460
edstile said:

Also, I haven't seen anything on Oglesby. Anyone know how he has looked? Will he be the starter at running back?
I saw him on Coach Byrd's mic'd up video.. When the O was going against the D in some situational session towards the end of practice. Oglesby was the one running the ball and getting the first down.. #25.. So atleast he is running with the 1's.. Maybe someone who goes to practice can let us know how he is doing in practice..
SFAXE93
#25 Oglesby looks to be also getting reps at KR.

Also in one of the interviews you can see him in the back ground doing drills. He looks to be taking the second chance seriously and working hard to be the best.

SFA will see the fruits of his labor.

Looks like he has bulked up some as well, looks bigger than 175.

The transfers I showed were on the roster, so I would assume they can go now, or they would not have posted them.

SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

Jacks4460 said:

Oh you meant these new players, not the Huntsville Residents, disregard the previous comment then. .
You caught that, too. Anything remotely related to Prison Tech must always be considered a four-letter word.
Jacks4460
edstile said:

TallTexan said:

Jacks4460 said:

You caught that, too. Anything remotely related to Prison Tech must always be considered a four-letter word.
Sorry men the term Kats was meaning the new players... Those two will be huge if they can play which I wouldn't know why they couldn't because they are dropping down a level.. We could be on to something..

Ogelsby is taking his 2nd chance very seriously and is very appreciative for it... I hope the best for him and hope he can give us a breakaway threat like we havent seen in a while..
SFAXE93

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.