WEEK 5: SAM HOUSTON STATE (BOTPW)

21,802 Views | 290 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by PurpleOut
RedRiverLa
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFAJack_76 said:

SFA88 said:

Was kickoff coverage and punt coverage as bad as the stats show? Did Sam really average 34.7 yards in kickoff returns and 26 yards on 1 punt return? Those are horrendous numbers.
Other than Campos' FG's, special teams was a mess yesterday. Roughing the punter, blocked punt, kick coverage, Brown kicking out of bounds (like he did at NRG last year), Quick's punting. Odd since special teams has been a bright spot all season.
and don't forget the great starting yards we gave them with kickoff out of bounds. The defense did a great job stopping those drives, though.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
SFA88
This is not a good Sam Houston team. I think the Bearkat fans would say the same thing. It was the Lumberjacks best shot in a long time and they couldn't get it done. At some point, a team is what their record says they are. SFA is not a good football team. There are some wins remaining on the schedule but they are not going to run the table. The Lumberjacks should beat Utah Tech as they move up from DII but the rest are a toss-up. 6-5 seems like a reasonable estimate for this team.
AxeEm99
Just telling the truth Jacks4460. The last 4 years has been nothing but hype and no results. Then I quickly recall how the "#3" recriuting class has been squandered away by poor over-hyped leadership. Had McCarty and Hill still been in charge, Carthel would have been dismissed after this season for another mediocre coach....
I do not care how you refer to me. It only shows who you really are....
Jacks4460
McCarty and Hill couldn't of ever got Carthel to take the job.. Our program and athletic dept. was a shi* show before Ryan was hired.. so u remember that 1st Baylor game!? Your boy Hill and McCarty had 18-20 football players not eligible to even play.. Basketball had to forfeit their wins thanks to the MccRthy/Hill regime… To even mention those two I know you know knothing about what really goes on..
SFA Jack Fanatic
RedRiverLa said:

SFAJack_76 said:

and don't forget the great starting yards we gave them with kickoff out of bounds. The defense did a great job stopping those drives, though.

True! I was shaking my head after each of those. I'd like to see the comparison between where we started our drives and theirs. It had to be huge. Why didn't we try a squib kick or two? On those times when we didn't kick it out of bounds we gave up 35-40 yard returns.

Lots of work on special teams this week, I'm sure.
AxeEm99
I know that they ran Football into the ground. We are still recovering from that and will be for several more years under our current direction. I appreciate what Ivey has done for Athletics. As much as I respect Carthel's personal values, he is no Fritz or Keeler. We will continue to face these similar outcomes until we finally decide to step it up and hire right. Our University needs the publicity from a succesful football program like has Sam Houston has benefited from. We can pay now or keep kicking the can down the road (and pay later) like we have been incredibly successful doing.... I think its time for change!! We can start with the OC.
Jacksfan93
The playbook was open in the first half and at one point Self was 14 for 14 late in to the 2nd QT. I was there, you can see how the team rallies around Self. The coaching staff has for some reason decided to create a QB controversy which turns in to a locker room virus during a year that was on track to be special for example for no reason at all pulling Self after the first 2 completions of the game to put #10 in which killed the first drive and momentum. Bottom line, SFA lost cause Sam made adjustments on defense which was not countered by SFA staff.
SFASawmillGuy
I somewhat agree. In the first half we did do well because the game plan was let Trae throw it downfield. Trae is a good QB when he has protection and can make good downfield throws. In the second half the vast majority of our passing game was very predictable screens. And no just predictable as to what play it was but what direction, leading to a lot of broken up passes.
What I disagree with is Sam making adjustments. Sam Houston actually made zero adjustments the whole game outside of letting Shoemaker throw downfield more, which was a disaster as our defense was locking him down.
It wasn't Sam's adjustments that beat us, it was our unnecessary adjustments that beat us. If we played the last 30 minutes like the first 30, we probably win soundly and Trae probably throws for over 400 yards easily.
SFASawmillGuy
And yes, I have no clue why we were trying a half assed wildcat with Maurer. It was pretty obvious what the play call was gonna be when he checked in.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Jacksfan93 raises a good issue here in regard to the first QB change. Self had just hit Gipson for a 30-40 yrd completion, Jacks were driving and had momentum. Then we bring Maurer in...not just for one play but 3 or 4. My first thought is Self must have gotten dinged up but it does not appear to be the case. We had just set ourselves up with a big play and deep penetration in Sam territory. After the QB move we end up with a FG. I didn't understand or like the move then nor as the game went on. Once again a situation where we may have gotten into our own way.

I don't know that anyone is trying to start a QB controversy but do know that rotating QBs here and there has not proven to be a winning strategy for any teams I am aware of.
BigJack85
Jacksfan93 said:

The playbook was open in the first half and at one point Self was 14 for 14 late in to the 2nd QT. I was there, you can see how the team rallies around Self. The coaching staff has for some reason decided to create a QB controversy which turns in to a locker room virus during a year that was on track to be special for example for no reason at all pulling Self after the first 2 completions of the game to put #10 in which killed the first drive and momentum. Bottom line, SFA lost cause Sam made adjustments on defense which was not countered by SFA staff.

My take on the game was positive, except for the finals score. We made some adjustments. Passing was spot on for quite a bit of time.

The mishandling/fumble by Trae Self really hurt. That could have out it out of reach. If we play like this for the balance of the schedule we should win 4-5 more games.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
BigJack85
Sam never overwhelmed us in the trenches. That was a positive. Our passing looked close to playoff caliber. Running the ball,,,, ok.

On the other side the pass defense was really good. Really good. Just a few breakdowns. I see 4, maybe 5 more wins. Southern Utah may be more of a challenge than we thought.

I was soooooo disappointed (even heartbroken) for the ending. That personal fouls call looked like bs. Carthel and staff had a few boneheaded moments that cost us the game. They (Carthel and crew are still good coaches that got us to the playoffs after years in the wilderness). They will get us to the type of success we think we all can taste. A run in the FCS playoffs. All in all we just haven't had luck against Sam on the gridiron. We can beat them in MANY of our sports ,,, consistently. We need to look long-term

. If the WAC holds together and grows appropriately (I'd like to see ORU brought in despite their lack of football). This could be an outstanding ALL SPORTS conference, with strengths in MBB, WBB, BSB and a broad range of women's sports. Hopefully we can add football to the roster of nationally relevant sports programs, along with MBB WBB and even WVB.

If the WAC grows strategically, we will all be happy fans and a single loss to the convicts won't matter as much.

Axe 'Em Jacks
Jacks4460
Why do my posts get taken down???? Friggin jokers whomever took them down... I was just responding to AXEm99 comments about our current coaching staff and such.. Is this board run by some Liberal dont want feeling hurt type of dude or dudette??
SFAXE93

Myles led SFA with 14 total tackles and 1 pass breakup this past weekend.

AxeEm99
Your posts still show on my end, unless there was a very recent one that was removed. Were you trying to insult me or my views again???
Last night I looked back at my comments on the SFA Athletics and SFA Football FB pages. It is interesting that my comments have not changed since 2007. We are having the exact same issues we had then with no resolution. We have had MULTIPLE opportunities to solve the problems and make a GREAT Fritz type hire but we did not... Just like joining a System, we cant seem to swallow our pride and do the right thing until we have almost run out of time or options. Then is costs A LOT more to dig out of the huge hole....
Thanks for your comments Jacks4460. I dont know you personally and do not always agree with some of your views on this forum. I have enough respect for you not to call you out when I disagree...
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

Sam never overwhelmed us in the trenches. That was a positive. Our passing looked close to playoff caliber. Running the ball,,,, ok.

On the other side the pass defense was really good. Really good. Just a few breakdowns. I see 4, maybe 5 more wins. Southern Utah may be more of a challenge than we thought.

I was soooooo disappointed (even heartbroken) for the ending. That personal fouls call looked like bs. Carthel and staff had a few boneheaded moments that cost us the game. They (Carthel and crew are still good coaches that got us to the playoffs after years in the wilderness). They will get us to the type of success we think we all can taste. A run in the FCS playoffs. All in all we just haven't had luck against Sam on the gridiron. We can beat them in MANY of our sports ,,, consistently. We need to look long-term

. If the WAC holds together and grows appropriately (I'd like to see ORU brought in despite their lack of football). This could be an outstanding ALL SPORTS conference, with strengths in MBB, WBB, BSB and a broad range of women's sports. Hopefully we can add football to the roster of nationally relevant sports programs, along with MBB WBB and even WVB.

If the WAC grows strategically, we will all be happy fans and a single loss to the convicts won't matter as much.

Axe 'Em Jacks
I think this is exactly it. Carthel is still the right guy for the job. This team hasn't quit on a game in the last 2 years, even when the ball doesn't bounce our way. We can build on that.

And it'll be nice to be out of Sam's shadow for a while. As much as we rightly chide Sam fans for only showing up for one game a year, we were also making it our superbowl for "is our team actually good".

It'll be nice to measure that against other teams who don't seem to have our number while we're building this program. One loss to any team won't be make or break for the outcome of our season going forward. A few years to grow without Sam as our success measuring stick will be nice.
SFA Jack Fanatic
No one is happy with the result. But the "Fire the Coach" crowd needs to take a chill pill. Carthel is the best coach we've had in more than 10 years. Let the season play out and see where we are at that point.

Losing multiple coaches and starting players to FBS schools is not easy to overcome. Don't forget, Carthel is the guy who got them here in the first place.
BigJack85
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

No one is happy with the result. But the "Fire the Coach" crowd needs to take a chill pill. Carthel is the best coach we've had in more than 10 years. Let the season play out and see where we are at that point.

Losing multiple coaches and starting players to FBS schools is not easy to overcome. Don't forget, Carthel is the guy who got them here in the first place.

Accurate read. I think Carthel moves this thing forward, to the point that we are a regular contender. The football conference BS needs to get worked out. It cannot be a positive for recruiting. Much less the scheduling challenges it creates (lack of a full conference). Having a 6-7 conference matches a season with 4-5 non-conference games makes for some flexibility. We can build off of that.

We've proved that we can get people to games (12,590) for opening game. If we could just continue the success…..

I look for analogies all the time. I was thinking LaTech - Louisiana Lafayette. The size of the schools and academic approaches are almost identical to SFA vs Sam. Sam has grown. We haven't. ULL is almost 20,000. LaTech is stuck around 10,500. (Yes, LaTech has had declining enrollment over the past few years). Oddly Sam is headed to LaTech's neighborhood. I'm sure Ivey has a plan. Hope we execute. Execute well.
SFA88
Jacksfan93 said:

According to the 4 letter network he was 17 of 34 for the game. This means he was 14 of 14 and then went 3 of 20 after that. What happened? Dropped balls? Bad pass protection?

Not that completion percentage is all that and a bag of chips but Self is 93rd out of 118 FCS programs for the year (NCAA website).
SFAXE93
AxeEm99
I want to believe Carthel. I really do. However, For the last 20+ years I have heard the EXACT same sentiment from every coach since I was in school..... Pearce, Santiago, McFarland, Harper, Conque, Byrd, and now Carthel. When are we REALLY going to have success in Football??? It's been 4 years of hype about "what we are going to do..." I'm way past "READY" for someone or anyone to deliver on what they say!!
SFAXE93
Coach John Pearce did a pretty good job, while at SFA.

1992: 3-8-0
1993: 8-4-0 (FCS Playoffs #14 in the Nation)
1994: 6-3-2 #21 in the Nation
1995: 11-2-0 (FCS Playoffs Semi-Finals) #5 in the Nation
1996: 7-4-0 #22 in the Nation
1997: 8-3-0 #13 in the Nation
1998: 3-8-0 (left for a coaching job with UCLA)

Who are you thinking for a head coach then?
AxeEm99
I dont have any specific names in mind. If the AD at Sam can land Fritz or Keeler, we surely could land someone of the same caliber... I truly hope Carthel will deliver, but I am very skeptical based on everything we as Jacks have heard and endured the last 20+ years. 4 years ago Carthel "chose us" and was going to take us to the 'Promise Land'. My point is, It did not take Fritz 4 years to turn Sam Houston into a deep run playoff team...

Willie Fritz has directed Sam Houston State to a 31-10 record in his three seasons as Bearkat head football coach. The 31 wins rank as Sam Houston's most victories in a three-year span.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAXE93 said:

A positive attitude going forward. That's exactly what was needed to be shown at this point. I still love this guy. A one point last-minute loss is not going to change that.
SFASawmillGuy
SFA88 said:

Jacksfan93 said:

According to the 4 letter network he was 17 of 34 for the game. This means he was 14 of 14 and then went 3 of 20 after that. What happened? Dropped balls? Bad pass protection?

Not that completion percentage is all that and a bag of chips but Self is 93rd out of 118 FCS programs for the year (NCAA website).

The vast majority of the pass attempts on the second half were screens, but they were set up on very obvious ways that Sam was able to jump them and break them up. We really didn't attempt many downfield throws in the second half.
BigJack85
AxeEm99 said:

I dont have any specific names in mind. If the AD at Sam can land Fritz or Keeler, we surely could land someone of the same caliber... I truly hope Carthel will deliver, but I am very skeptical based on everything we as Jacks have heard and endured the last 20+ years. 4 years ago Carthel "chose us" and was going to take us to the 'Promise Land'. My point is, It did not take Fritz 4 years to turn Sam Houston into a deep run playoff team...

Willie Fritz has directed Sam Houston State to a 31-10 record in his three seasons as Bearkat head football coach. The 31 wins rank as Sam Houston's most victories in a three-year span.

99. I'm sure you were in the stands, just as I was. That was a terrible way to lose. The bad call(s). A boneheaded play that kept us from putting a game distancing field goal on the board All that being said, imagine your pain (I'm guess you graduated in 99), add 14 years of pain onto that. That's what I've had to deal since arriving on campus in August of 1980.

The top of the heap for me (SFA football coaches) is Jim Hess. Then I'd say John Pearce. After that it's hard to say we've had much to cheer about besides the 2 years that Jeremy Moses brought to us. Frankly, it's a testament to the loyalty and depth of Lumberjack fandom, that we can still pull 12,590 for an opening game. While Sam is lucky to get 8000 in the stands while going 8, 9, 10 wins almost every season for a decade. If we had that kind of winning pedigree we'd get 14,000 for opening and 16,000 for homecoming. Carthel is the guy for the next 3 years at least. This may not be his best year but I am confident 2 of the next 3 will be notable.
djsfw57
Jacks4460 said:

Why do my posts get taken down???? Friggin jokers whomever took them down... I was just responding to AXEm99 comments about our current coaching staff and such.. Is this board run by some Liberal dont want feeling hurt type of dude or dudette??
That remark about liberals is insulting.
SFA, Class of 1979
SFAXE93
What Carthel did at Commerce was just amazing, that program was a doormat for many years, just nothing since the 1990s.

He took a 1-9 team, a program 11-straight years without a winning season to 7-5 the next season, wins a Conference Championship in his second year, and proceeds to win 3 in a row, and then the National Championship in his 5th year, finished with a record of 59-18; 35-8

Then Carthel comes to SFA, starting at the bottom with a real mess of a program, goes 3-9; 6-4; 8-4 (FCS Playoffs and National Ranking) and then primed for 2022 like never before to make a run and then all hell breaks loose, beyond his control, key coaches leave for the FBS and defensive players (starters) enter the portal.

I don't know any coach out there that could have done any better in this stretch.

In his 3 years playing SHSU, he's had them on the ropes in the 4th quarter all 3 years, but for whatever reason couldn't finish them off.

Like he said we have our whole season in front of us.

Be careful what you wish for, we would miss not having Carthel leading this program.

BigJack85
SFAXE93 said:

What Carthel did at Commerce was just amazing, that program was a doormat for many years, just nothing since the 1990s.

He took a 1-9 team, a program 11-straight years without a winning season to 7-5 the next season, wins a Conference Championship in his second year, and proceeds to win 3 in a row, and then the National Championship in his 5th year, finished with a record of 59-18; 35-8

Then Carthel comes to SFA, starting at the bottom with a real mess of a program, goes 3-9; 6-4; 8-4 (FCS Playoffs and National Ranking) and then primed for 2022 like never before to make a run and then all hell breaks loose, beyond his control, key coaches leave for the FBS and defensive players (starters) enter the portal.

I don't know any coach out there that could have done any better in this stretch.

In his 3 years playing SHSU, he's had them on the ropes in the 4th quarter all 3 years, but for whatever reason couldn't finish them off.

Be careful what you wish for, we would miss not having Carthel leading this program.

What he said…….
BigJack85
BigJack85 said:

SFAXE93 said:

What he said…….

If we (SFA donors) raised $15 million for a new fieldhouse or fieldhouse renovation, we'd run the WACSUN for years. We've got the Coach. We need a little bit more on the facilities side.
Jacksfan93
It's been a rough start for sure but I do wonder how many FCS QBs have faced 3 FBS programs. By Selfs own admission he's been trying to do too much. The 2nd half wasn't as good as the first of course for several reasons such as pass rush was better by Sam, predictable play calling, several throws out of bounds due to good coverage instead of forcing bad throws, and a few imperfect throws. The real season is about to start with more of an even playing field against WAC opponents. This team I believe will run the table. Defense against Sam has given me tons of hope for the rest of the season.
SFAJack_76
"Buckets" was right.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

"Buckets" was right.

Did the WAC "apologize" for the obvious bad call?
SFAJack_76
Here it is. Carthel did get a call yesterday.
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

Here it is. Carthel did get a call yesterday.

I literally "Threw Up" in my mouth. Leave me be. It's all a tragedy.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.