WEEK 5: SAM HOUSTON STATE (BOTPW)

21,604 Views | 290 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by PurpleOut
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?

#14 SFA (2-2; 0-0) VS. SAM HOUSTON STATE (1-2)

WHEN: OCT. 1, 2022 (SAT.) 2:30 P.M.
WHERE: HOUSTON, TEXAS (NRG STADIUM)
TV: ESPN+/BALLY SPORTS SOUTHWEST
RADIO: Q107.7 FM.
BATTLE OF THE PINEY WOODS (PURPLE OUT)

As the ole saying goes, all good things must come to an end. But in this case, Lumberjack Nation might make an exception for one of the oldest rivalries in Texas.

Yes, it's been a long 12-years and 10 straight losses, since the Jacks have experienced the sweet taste of victory in football against the dreaded Bearkats of Sam Houston State, and don't kat fans love to remind you of it.

If you talk to a kat fan, they'll tell you every game has been a blow out, and the scores seem to get greater with every passing year, but the truth is, in the last two meetings SHSU has had to come from behind in the 4th quarter to pull things out.

Nothing was closer to that, than last season's heart breaker, where the Jacks found themselves up 20-6 with 9 minutes left in the game with what appeared to be the end to the drought, only to see things slowly slip away to a 20-21 defeat.

Well, here's the last shot, the final curtain call, the last chance at BOTPW football redemption.

To look at this game, you would have to think SFA and SHSU mirror each other in some respects as in both offensive lines are struggling, as well as both starting QBs.

The question for SHSU, is who will start at QB?

Why not give the reins to the QB who knows the Lumberjacks, in the 6-3; 200 pound junior QB Keegan Shoemaker, the hero of the 2021 BOTPW for SHSU.

Shoemaker saw his first action for the new season last week against A&M-Commerce where he went 6 of 13 for 38 yards and 1 TD.

Georgia Tech transfer QB Jordan Yates has found it difficuilt through the air to find the endzone, completing only 32 total passes in three games for 265 yards with no TDs and 3 INTs.

Yates does though lead the team in rushing yards with 195 and a TD, and with the struggles up front for the SFA defense, a running QB in this game actually is an advantage for the kats.

Also, in the back field for SHSU, we have last week's WAC OPOW Zach Hrbacek, the 5-9; 175 pound red-shirt freshman speedster from Troy, Texas. Hrbacek, the 2020 Mr. Texas Football Finalist, rushed for 131 yards and a TD against the Lions of A&M-Commerce.

Look for lots of touches as well from Oklahoma State transfer Dezmon Jackson 5-11; 220.

The always dangerous Cody Chrest 6-1; 200 returns at receiver for his final season, along with newcomer and Texas transfer Al'von Woodard 6-2; 195.

Defense is the Bearkats strength, with a linebacker group lead by 1st team All-WAC senior Trevor Williams who leads the team with 25 tackles.

In the secondary, senior leadership from graduate Texas transfer BJ Foster 6-2; 200, a 2021 BIG XII HM.

As a team, after 3 games, the Bearkats have only averaged 10 points a game while giving up 19.

But the key is what the kats do on the ground, which is 165 yards a game, that's almost 5 yards a carry, which should be a major concern for every Lumberjack fan who has witnessed what has been seen so far from the SFA defense, when it comes to trying to stop the run.

Nothing would give Lumberjack Nation more joy than a SFA win, sending those dudes in orange, a packin for the FBS and C-USA with a big L, giving Jack fans the final word in bragging rights, and for Lumberjacks everywhere, a little satisfaction for those last 12 years, in what could be the conclusion to the football edition of the BOTPW.

Axe'Em

SFAXE93
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
SHSU side is full, SFA not so much.

Bearkat21
Really hoping you SFA guys and gals buy more seats on your side. Since the Bearkat side sold out theres a good portion of us Bearkats buying up SFA's allotment which includes myself and 13 others in my party and many more Bearkats I have spoken to. I saw you guys put up over 12,000 people in your stands last week which is impressive against an NAIA program so I figured you guys would buy up the BOTPW tickets like crazy but that hasn't been the case. Hoping for a great final game because I am going to miss this rivalry a ton when we are in the FBS. A small part of me hopes you guys find your way to the FBS as well if you can join a university system. Axe the jacks and eat em up kats! -Bearkat21
SFASawmillGuy
Looks like they've run out their student allotment too. Gotta get our fans on board and get our tickets sold.
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
Bearkat21 said:

Really hoping you SFA guys and gals buy more seats on your side. Since the Bearkat side sold out theres a good portion of us Bearkats buying up SFA's allotment which includes myself and 13 others in my party and many more Bearkats I have spoken to. I saw you guys put up over 12,000 people in your stands last week which is impressive against an NAIA program so I figured you guys would buy up the BOTPW tickets like crazy but that hasn't been the case. Hoping for a great final game because I am going to miss this rivalry a ton when we are in the FBS. A small part of me hopes you guys find your way to the FBS as well if you can join a university system. Axe the jacks and eat em up kats! -Bearkat21
Good, now more of you kat fans can watch your team lose lol

Don't worry you'll get over us in the long run.

Enjoying being Texas State 2.0 in the FBS
BigJack85
SFASawmillGuy said:

Looks like they've run out their student allotment too. Gotta get our fans on board and get our tickets sold.

Listened to the Rob Meyers Radio Show, last night. Stated that we have sold out the "university allotment". We need walk up traffic to sell off the last 2000 or so tickets.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
SHSU QB Shoemaker will start on Saturday.
SFASawmillGuy
Man I wish we had the defense we had last year. He's probably still feeling those hits he took a year ago.
Bigfoot
I think this game comes down to how well the offensive line protects Trae Self. If Self has time to throw I see SFA winning 31-28.
SFAXE93
BigJack85
Bigfoot said:

I think this game comes down to how well the offensive line protects Trae Self. If Self has time to throw I see SFA winning 31-28.

I agree. Hope.
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
BigJack85
SFAXE93 said:

Journalism is dead. Do some research. SFA's athletics budget is within 200,000. SHSU 20.598. SFA 20.470.

I pulled this from the Knight commission. 2021 numbers.
SFAXE93
KATatonic
Shoemaker will be starting at QB...Thank goodness. Yates has potential, but he just doesn't make the reads and progressions to be successful. He just tucks and runs at the first pressure. Shoemaker gives us a better chance to win.
I saw the first post and agree. There have been a few blowouts but most of the games of the last decade were decided in the 4th quarter.
I am really going to miss this tradition. I'm not a hater like some. My best friend went to SFA. I wish you guys success in the WAC and/or wherever you end up. Maybe someday we will be conference rivals again and renew the Battle. It looks like that is what is happening with UT/TAMU.
BigJack85
KATatonic said:

Shoemaker will be starting at QB...Thank goodness. Yates has potential, but he just doesn't make the reads and progressions to be successful. He just tucks and runs at the first pressure. Shoemaker gives us a better chance to win.
I saw the first post and agree. There have been a few blowouts but most of the games of the last decade were decided in the 4th quarter.
I am really going to miss this tradition. I'm not a hater like some. My best friend went to SFA. I wish you guys success in the WAC and/or wherever you end up. Maybe someday we will be conference rivals again and renew the Battle. It looks like that is what is happening with UT/TAMU.

Good points. The WAC is a basketball vehicle for SFA. And, it is a good one.

The Dave Campbell article is "generally" good. Misses on a few things which is surprising. One large gap in the "journalism" is the dribble about athletics budget. I looked at the Knight Commission (fairly definitive source for college athletics info). SFA's athletics budget is 20.47 million. Sam 20.59. $120,000 different or less than 2/10 of one percent. The simple fact is that SFA prioritizes MBB and WBB Sam prioritizes football.

. You can see it in the results. Anyone that thinks you can gain substantial college football attention in a state that has UT, A&M, Tech and U of H is fooling themselves.

Basketball is an uphill battle also. The difference is that you can build an exceptional MBB program around 3-4 great/good players. Football requires a full roster (at least 35-40 solid players). We make our choices……. We'll be "good" in football. My take is that Sam will look at the opportunity to build the WAC. into an exceptional all around conference and have some regrets. CUSA is solid. The WAC could have eclipsed CUSA if NMSU and Sam had stayed.
SFAJack_76
Our athletic depart does not have a $20 mm budget. I have no idea what Sam's is.
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

Our athletic depart does not have a $20 mm budget. I have no idea what Sam's is.

How does the Knight Commission (a very reputable foundation) come up with that number???? I don't know what is correct without getting an auditor. Somehow the Knight Commission got the information. Have you been looked at their website?
nacluth
From this year's current budget. Everything allotted to all athletic departments (non-pledged auxiliary) combined is $21,295,762.

I'm sure that's where they got the number. Now theatre and band plus a couple items that are fairly negligible overall included in that number.
BigJack85
Here's the link to the knight foundation/commission. Covers all 300+ division 1 universities

https://knightnewhousedata.org/
SFAXE93
SFAJack_76
BigJack85 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

How does the Knight Commission (a very reputable foundation) come up with that number???? I don't know what is correct without getting an auditor. Somehow the Knight Commission got the information. Have you been looked at their website?
Per our AD, our annual spend on Athletics is about $18mm. Sam is about $20mm.
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

BigJack85 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

Ok. Then the Knight Commission is off.
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

BigJack85 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

From this year's current budget. Everything allotted to all athletic departments (non-pledged auxiliary) combined is $21,295,762.

I'm sure that's where they got the number. Now theatre and band plus a couple items that are fairly negligible overall
SFAXE93
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

BigJack85 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

Does that include scholarships?
SFAXE93
BigJack85
We are just about 48 hours from kickoff. Here's my humble take.

1. Unless our D-Line and LB's show up this could be a debacle.
2. If Trae/Gipson connect often and for distance, we could hang. Really counting on Trae having a great game. If not, I will be one drunk guy Saturday evening. Crying in my beer.
3. The loss of those guys to the portal really crippled our growth. Especially Osagiede. Our front 7 look like Swiss cheese.

My prediction. Sam 35. SFA 17
MasterAxe
SFA is ranked 106 out of 123 FCS teams in rush defense.

If SHSU throws more than 10 passes, their coaching staff should be put on the next rocket and fired into the sun.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.