WEEK 5: SAM HOUSTON STATE (BOTPW)

21,845 Views | 290 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by PurpleOut
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
No words
RedRiverLa
Well, they own us. Doesn't matter why, 13-0, this call, that call, offsides. Did you see the emotion in their team and QB? Maybe one day we will have that winning culture, but it won't be against SHSU.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
MasterAxe
If my math is correct:

Trae Self went 3-19 in the 2nd half.

Crumbled when it mattered most.
SFAXE93
It was the same thing with Texas State, no matter where, when, up year or down year, just always found a way to lose it.

It was in the back of everyone's mind as we were not scoring when we could have.
RedRiverLa
If he held on to that ball, I wouldn't care.
Lumberjack Battalion
MasterAxe
Could be worse.

At least we're not paying our coach $100 million to get skull dragged by Mississippi State every year.

Shoutout Jimbo for cashing them checks.
TallTexan
Y'all are too down on a team that when it mattered got two potential game ending stops only for them to be overturned.

Don't tell me about Sam's "winning culture"when they got stymied without help.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Why we lost today:
1 Red Zone production
2 Red Zone Production
3 Offensive play calling
4 Red Zone Production
5 Special Teams Flubs and mistakes
6 RED ZONE PRODUCTION

Self had good 1st half....was a no show in 2nd half.

Play calling is bad.....7 or 8 wide receivers screens every game. Run Miles Reed straight in to the teeth of the defense. Get inside red zone and go overly conservative when we go for a 4th and 5 from midfield at times.
MasterAxe
TallTexan said:

Y'all are too down on a team that when it mattered got two potential game ending stops only for them to be overturned.

Don't tell me about Sam's "winning culture"when they got stymied without help.

Well, they won and we took a shotgun to our knees on offense.

I'd rather have their result.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Offense was garbage in the 2nd half. You could see this loss coming an hour ago.
MasterAxe
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Why we lost today:
1 Red Zone production
2 Red Zone Production
3 Offensive play calling
4 Red Zone Production
5 Special Teams Flubs and mistakes
6 RED ZONE PRODUCTION

Self had good 1st half....was a no show in 2nd half.

Play calling is bad.....7 or 8 wide receivers screens every game. Run Miles Reed straight in to the teeth of the defense. Get inside red zone and go overly conservative when we go for a 4th and 5 from midfield at times.

LOUDER!
RedRiverLa
I have to disagree. The offside was offside, the PF is gonna get called on a play like that as much as the rule sucks. Defense was phenomenal, offense left at halftime. The refs didn't give them yards, they just put a drive together when it counted. Our offense looked beat the 2nd half, we owned their offense the second half and they still believed they would win. After the interception our play calling was tight, nervous, and pathetic. But I'm over it. Ill be there to watch is take revenge on ACU.
Lumberjack Battalion
Ljacks&Longnecks
Texan, I agree that the personal foul was bogus and should not have been called. The offsides was legit ---a mental error at a critical time.

Had we taken care of business better in the first 3 and a half quarters, the final drive would not have been a winning one for them. Too many miscues and opportunities left on the field by the Jacks.
SFAXE93
Seriously, it has to be a mental thing in the minds of the players, you're so close to victory against a team that has won so many times and you start to over think things and forget what got you to that point.

Oh well, adios to the orange!
sfajack05
You could see this loss coming from a mile away.
AxeEm99
Same song, same dance year after year!! THANK GOD ITS THE LAST YEAR!!!
TallTexan
Im ready to play new teams. Especially ones who know a good rivalry is in all sports and show up for it.
corleycl
I want to say something positive, but I'm so demoralized right now. Sam isn't even good this year. But we manage to give it away. SFA Football lets us down again. I know the players tried their best and wanted to win, but damn…..
SFASawmillGuy
On another note I spoke with several Sam Houston fans who were absolutely pissed about the FBS move because they know they're about to be one of the worst college football teams in the country.
SFAXE93
Ask Texas State fans

TEXAS STATE (FBS 2012)

2012: 4-8; 2-5 WAC
2013: 6-6; 2-5 SBC
2014: 7-5; 5-3 SBC
2015: 3-9; 2-6 SBC
2016: 2-10; 0-8 SBC
2017: 2-10; 1-7 SBC
2018: 3-9; 1-7 SBC
2019: 3-9; 2-6 SBC
2020: 2-10; 2-6 SBC
2021: 4-8; 3-5 SBC
2022: 2-3; 0-1 SBC

RECORD: 38-87-0; 20-59-0
NO RANKING
NO BOWLS
NO WINS VERSUS RANKED TEAMS

corleycl
But was it good financially?
Ljacks&Longnecks
SFASawmillGuy said:

On another note I spoke with several Sam Houston fans who were absolutely pissed about the FBS move because they know they're about to be one of the worst college football teams in the country.
Precisely why I don't want SFA to go FBS.
corleycl
Should never even be a thought in our minds until we can we WIN in FCS games!
TallTexan
FCS/FBS, I don't particularly care, but I'll say this. I want to be good enough that the Sunbelt calls instead of CUSA.

We're going to get there. We're making progress. Sam leaving is a good opportunity for us to define our own brand of football without them.
RedRiverLa
On a silver lining note, I've learned how to quickly get over a BOTPW loss from years of experience.
Lumberjack Battalion
sfajack05
TallTexan said:

FCS/FBS, I don't particularly care, but I'll say this. I want to be good enough that the Sunbelt calls instead of CUSA.

We're going to get there. We're making progress. Sam leaving is a good opportunity for us to define our own brand of football without them.

LOL
AxeEm99
I think if we REALLY want to be the next Sam Houston or North Dakota State in FCS, we need to HIRE coaches like Sam Houston or North Dakota State!! We have received A LOT of hype for the last 4 years about what we are 'going to do' and basically wasted the "#3" recruiting class (if they really were all that good) during that time!!
I think its a leadership problem and its time for a change.
We have been on this merry go round for many years and we need to decide NOW who we want to be in Football (great or mediocre) and STOP THE HYPE!! We are NOT deep playoff material under the current regime!!
MasterAxe
TallTexan said:

Can you perhaps go into more detail about "making progress?"

Cause from what I see…no.

Our offense is so bad we're swapping QB's on a series by series basis in the 4th quarter of a close game.

We've constantly shot ourselves in the foot when it matter most.

Our defense finally plays an awesome game, but because of a mental meltdown, we had 10 players on the field when it mattered most.

Outside of a miracle finish to the season, we'll miss the playoffs.

We made the playoffs last year.

That means…regression.

The opposite of progress.
PurpleOut
Staff
Pathetic performance in my opinion. Sam is not good this year and was even worse today. There was no reason for us to lose that game.

That PF isn't called all the time. It's not like they called a targeting. An unnecessary roughness for a DB hitting a WR cleanly and not late is outrageous.

Yeah that gave them the game but it's our own stupid fault for being in that position. Our play calling is absolutely ABYSMAL.

I hate calling out any individual on the staff, but our offensive scheme has had zero progression this season AND in general under Carthel.

When are we ever going to be the aggressors on the field? If not in a rivalry game when? Of all games, today is where you open up the playbook, be aggressive, and f'n try to take it to them.

But it's the same bs every year. Extra conservative, just the same series over and over. Here's what it looks like.

1st and 10 - Rush straight into the line.
2nd and 9 - Rush straight into the line.
3rd and 7 - Either a lateral pass to the sideline/WR screen to hope a DB misses a tackle, OR, a 30 yard bomb.

Thanks goodness we have an amazing kicker, otherwise we'd never score.

This Sam team had an average defense and a below average offense. And we still can't get it done. On the staff today.
PurpleOut
Staff
And yeah the QB swap thing today made no sense. And obviously had no effect.

If you're going to give Maurer a chance, give him an actual series.
MasterAxe
PurpleOut said:

Pathetic performance in my opinion. Sam is not good this year and was even worse today. There was no reason for us to lose that game.

That PF isn't called all the time. It's not like they called a targeting. An unnecessary roughness for a DB hitting a WR cleanly and not late is outrageous.

Yeah that gave them the game but it's our own stupid fault for being in that position. Our play calling is absolutely ABYSMAL.

I hate calling out any individual on the staff, but our offensive scheme has had zero progression this season AND in general under Carthel.

When are we ever going to be the aggressors on the field? If not in a rivalry game when? Of all games, today is where you open up the playbook, be aggressive, and f'n try to take it to them.

But it's the same bs every year. Extra conservative, just the same series over and over. Here's what it looks like.

1st and 10 - Rush straight into the line.
2nd and 9 - Rush straight into the line.
3rd and 7 - Either a lateral pass to the sideline/WR screen to hope a DB misses a tackle, OR, a 30 yard bomb.

Thanks goodness we have an amazing kicker, otherwise we'd never score.

This Sam team had an average defense and a below average offense. And we still can't get it done. On the staff today.

Preach. Louder.
MasterAxe
I liked our team when we played with attitude.

When our coach ripped his shirt off.

When we talked *****

We're soft.

We play a soft brand of football, especially on offense.
No-look
Hate it for the defense. Played really well.
SFASawmillGuy
I'm in a bar in EADO right now wearing my SFA jersey and keep getting asked how the game went. So I'm having a hard time getting over it.
PurpleOut
Staff
Also, we going to talk about the two timeouts we burned on defense on Sam's last possession?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.