2021 SEASON

62,167 Views | 377 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BigJack85
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BigJack85
We've already "won" the Marketing A Football Team awards.
djsfw57
SFAXE93 said:

Finally more than 4!

I don't care if we play Nashville Auto Diesel College.

This will be the first time since the 2017 season we have had 5 home games.

I almost spit I laughed so hard when I read this. I used to live in Nashville, and when I first saw a sign that said NASHVILLE AUTO DIESEL COLLEGE, I swear I thought it was a joke.
TallTexan
TallTexan
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76 said:

Myles White is the new WR coach.
Mike Bangston is the new assistant OL coach.

Pleased we have assistants that are good enough to be hired away. Remember that only one member of our previous staff ended up at a D1 school. Several went Juco or high school.
Here is White.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Any chance that the Spring Game will be streamed on Saturday?
SFASawmillGuy
It's being worked on currently for an ESPN+ stream.
SFAXE93

Yes, the game is on TV
https://www.espn.com/watch/player?id=e8693d10-c0a4-4ad4-858e-e0d8fc4f65c7
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
Sources reporting Coach Vigil to become the new Head Coach at Western New Mexico.
SFAJack_76
nacluth
Ok, it's been a while since I checked in on my diehard football fans. Tell me the skinny on our first WAC year.

It seems to me like we have downgraded our conference's football strength (even though we could have the reigning FCS champs). Is this going to benefit SFA in the near or long term?

In two really rough years for anyone to coach through (one very short offseason/one COVID), Carthel has 4 D1 wins and none against a team with a winning record. Will this be a breakthrough year for the team or are we still a couple out?

What's the feeling about the 6 team WAC conference. Obviously we're behind Sam as a program, but are we 2/3 or are we still realistically bottom half?

I like Carthel too, but I'm looking how to set my goals for this year.
SFASawmillGuy
nacluth said:

Ok, it's been a while since I checked in on my diehard football fans. Tell me the skinny on our first WAC year.

It seems to me like we have downgraded our conference's football strength (even though we could have the reigning FCS champs). Is this going to benefit SFA in the near or long term?

In two really rough years for anyone to coach through (one very short offseason/one COVID), Carthel has 4 D1 wins and none against a team with a winning record. Will this be a breakthrough year for the team or are we still a couple out?

What's the feeling about the 6 team WAC conference. Obviously we're behind Sam as a program, but are we 2/3 or are we still realistically bottom half?

I like Carthel too, but I'm looking how to set my goals for this year.

I wouldn't say the strength of the conference is going to go down. The SLC is trash and is going to be infinitely worse without SFA, Sam, and ACU. Add in Tarleton who is no slouch and likely will be a top FCS team in the next few years, Southern Utah who has been competitive lately, and the WAC will be a very competitive conference. All the schools have the aspiration of moving to the FBS in the next 10 years or so, so all the schools are all in on success.

It's incredibly unfair right now to bring Carthel's D-1 into record into this. His first season was a complete rebuild, and its unrealistic to expect a new coach in year 1 to immediately build a winning team. It happens sometimes, but for the most part, it takes 3-4 and even 5 years to build a successful college program with a brand new coach. To be honest, I think our fall team would've competed with Sam to win the SLC had this been a normal season. Hell we nearly had an FBS upset and held a very good Memphis team in a very uncomfortable situation for most of a game.

Carthel has done a phenomenal job building this team up, and it looks like this team(the 2021 team) might be the best SFA team we've seen in well over a decade. I think this season, a conference title or playoff berth and victory over the Bearkats is a very realistic goal.

nacluth
Well I appreciate your points 03 as always. You have been a great football supporter and I appreciate it.

The SLC is trash from an administration/vision standpoint, but not from football strength. We're leaving behind teams that in the last 10 years made the FCS playoffs 14 times for a potential team in SUU that has made it twice in the same time. Of course we're taking with us Sam that made it almost every year of the last decade with 3 final appearances and 6 semi appearances. The WAC may grow strong, but UCA, McNeese, and SELA are stronger than their replacements.

I agree that the first two years have been terrible coaching conditions. So my real question is: is year 3 the breakout year realistically or is year 5 a more reasonable goal? I think Carthel is good at the rah rah stuff, and I'm sure his teams would bury themselves for him with effort. But is our system set up for current success or are we still in the long game?

Seems like there's one vote for this year. Any others?
TallTexan
I still think we're on a 4-5 year plan, but I hope I'm wrong.

The biggest indicator of positive change last year was in the trenches, where we weren't getting rolled on either side by FBS teams. That was good to see.

But we still have to put it together across a whole season and beat those teams who are a level higher when we get them in close games, whether it's UTEP, UTSA or Sam.

So I'm hopeful but realistic about this year. Then again, I've been predicting that we upset Tech. It's the off-season. Time for unreasonable optimism.
Jacks4460
I see 7 wins for sure then we have 4 games TT,Sam,Jacksonville St, and UCA.. If we can go 2-2 with these 4 then we will be in the college football playoffs.. Then 2022 with a little taste of the playoffs we go all the way to Frisco... We are really deep at all positions except QB and that will show this year...
nacluth
Thanks 4460. Good predictions. I guess that puts us ahead of Tarleton.
nacluth
Sorry if I'm a buzzkill to the unreasonable optimism.

I usually wait until kickoff to let my expectations become ridiculous. Until then, I'm an old fuddy duddy.
SFAXE93
Dixie State has been a surprise as well, defeating #22 Tarleton State on the road, losing by 7 to NM State on the road, and by 10 @#9 Kennesaw State.

Can't over look the Trailblazers.

Too much talent and depth for the Lumberjacks, I'm expecting a lot in 2021.

Always comes down to execution and minimal amount of injuries
Jacks4460
SFAXE93 said:

Dixie State has been a surprise as well, defeating #22 Tarleton State on the road, losing by 7 to NM State on the road, and by 10 @#9 Kennesaw State.

Can't over look the Trailblazers.

Too much talent and depth for the Lumberjacks, I'm expecting a lot in 2021.

Always comes down to execution and minimal amount of injuries
Yep Dixie St. is going to be a challenge..
BigJack85
nacluth said:

Sorry if I'm a buzzkill to the unreasonable optimism.

I usually wait until kickoff to let my expectations become ridiculous. Until then, I'm an old fuddy duddy.

I see 7-8 wins in there. If we stay healthy. W's - Tarleton, MSVSU, Lincoln, Sam (Yes), Dixie, ACU, EKU
SFASawmillGuy
Technically we aren't leaving UCA behind, they left us first. So really we are leaving SLU, who go from either a national power to a conference bottom feeder each year, and McNeese who to fault of their own are in a very rough spot right now, and will probably be down the next couple of years.

I think the key that I've seen that gives me hope is how strong we are in the trenches. The reason NDSU is consistently able to just roll the rest of the FCS is their strength up front, because it's so difficult to recruit that in the FCS. The teams that win championships at this level(or any level of college football really) are those teams.

Absolutely I don't expect us just to dominate everyone. JSU, UCA, Sam, and a couple of others are going to be tough, and we are bound to have a bad game where we can't get our passing game or running game going or where our defense falls flat.

Buuuuuut comparing how we did last year, how our spring game looked, and how well we've recruited, I'm much more hopeful about this year than the past few. We have depth everywhere but QB, so as long as Trae stays healthy injuries shouldn't be a problem like they were under the previous coaches.

Now I reserve the right to change my optimism after the BOTPW.
TallTexan
Should note that Sam getting a nutrition program going the past 2 years means they'll be tougher than normal too.
SFASawmillGuy
Oh absolutely. Both us an Sam are going to be trending upwards at a pretty high rate over the next decade, which we both should be, because if and when this FBS move happens, we will either become consistent losers on the big stage or have a chance to build our brand and put football on a similar pedestal that basketball is on.
SFASawmillGuy
SFA_03 said:

Oh absolutely. Both us an Sam are going to be trending upwards at a pretty high rate over the next decade, which we both should be, because if and when this FBS move happens, we will either become consistent losers on the big stage or have a chance to build our brand and put football on a similar pedestal that basketball is on.

Our aspirations should be Boise State, Coastal Carolina, and App St. when we make the jump, not UNT, Texas St, or Idaho.
SFAXE93
111 days until kickoff
AxeEm99
Imagine where SFA would be NOW had Robert Hill and Pattillo made good athletic decisions and closed the revolving head coach door years ago!! Thankfully, we have Ivey and Carthel, but Sam Houston has done well in so many areas thanks to success on the football field!! Hopefully Carthel will take us where we want to go, but it is disgusting to watch Prison Tech continue to have success!!
SFASawmillGuy
The biggest thing they've done we haven't has been recruiting depth and recruiting players who can fit your philosophy.

Carthel seems to be doing just that, so I expect us to catch up very quickly.

That being said, this championship game has nothing on our regular season non conference basketball game vs Duke, much less an NCAA tournament appearance. I love football, it's my favorite sport, I want us to be champions, but we have a better athletic department than Sam Houston despite football.
SFASawmillGuy
Ballgame. SHSU takes a natty to the WAC
SFAXE93
We'll be hearing about it for many moons to come.
SFASawmillGuy
That's why we need to just win the real one this fall to shut them up.
djsfw57
SFA_03 said:

Ballgame. SHSU takes a natty to the WAC
Good for them, but I was not really happy to see that foul-mouthed display at the end of the game. That reflects badly on the university and program in my opinion.
AxeEm99
And that there lies the problem... This was an abbreviated football season in the Spring that should not even have a championship AND we will hear about it and hear about it until we start routinely beating Sam! Disgusting!
TallTexan
I'm not too worried about it. They deserve it, 75% of their fans probably didn't even know they were playing.

As far as their seniors go, you think more of them come back to defend a championship or more would have come back for unfinished business? My guess is the latter.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.