WAC Hoops 2021-2022

23,928 Views | 219 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by PurpleOut
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
UVU absolutely dying. We'll take the 3 seed.
No-look
nacluth said:

UVU absolutely dying. We'll take the 3 seed.
I like our chances. There's no guarantee that NM will make the championship. Jacks are playing the best ball right now.
No-look
I like our side of the bracket
jboy93
I really don't understand betting odds, so someone help me understand how Grand Canyon is a +225 to win the WAC tournament??? New Mexico +275, Seattle +500, and we are at +600.
This was as of mid day yesterday...
nacluth
They were last year's champions in a conference that is so chaotic it is hard to tell who the favorite is. Also Vegas will play like a home game for GCU.

However, those are terrible early odds (for GCU) and will start to change significantly as the tournament goes on. If you like SFA's chances, that's not bad money.
SFAXE93
Per a WAC poster...

End of the Regular Season

WAC
NMSU - 87
GCU - 92
SFA - 108
UVU - 114
Seattle - 131
ACU - 138
SHSU - 152
CBU - 202
Tarleton - 214
DSU - 274
UTRGV - 303
CSU - 334
Lamar - 348

Moving to WAC
Southern Utah - 162
UT Arlington - 220
Incarnate Word - 352

Future C-USA
NMSU - 87
Middle Tennessee - 100
Louisiana Tech - 102
Western Kentucky -112
Liberty - 121
Jacksonville State - 141
SHSU - 152
UTEP - 172
Florida International - 267
SFA Jack Fanatic
There should be some real battles between UIW and Lamar to determine the hoops basement of the conference in the future. (What a stupid decision about adding UIW!)
SFAXE93

https://wacsports.com/sports/wbkb/2021-22/releases/0306WBBAwards
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

There should be some real battles between UIW and Lamar to determine the hoops basement of the conference in the future. (What a stupid decision about adding UIW!)
I will never understand why they were added.
SFAXE93
nacluth
No complaints at all about the All-WAC awards seems very even-handed which was rare in the SLC.

Women's:
Coach Kellogg - Coach of the Year
Stephanie and Aiyana - 1st team
Zya - 2nd team
Bri Mitchell and Stephanie - All Defense

Men's:
Gavin - 1st team
David - 2nd team
All WAC 6th man - Jaylin

I like all those awards. I would have maybe chosen Calvin over David for his contributions during WAC play, but I understand why they did it.
SFAJack_76
WAC #15. SLC, not last.
SFA Jack Fanatic
UTRGV beats Seattle 71-61 in the First Round of the WAC WBB Tourrnament. RGV hit 13 threes today. Their coach said after the game that (paraphrasing) "We turn the ball over a lot, so let's shoot it before we turn it over. Our post players are not too happy about that but it is what it is."
SFAXE93
They'll move up after UIW leaves lol
Pilotgirl
Found this Lamar MBB player on TikTok. He actually has some pretty cool content:
https://vm.tiktok.com/TTPdD3vyE5/
nacluth
He's got the time to make all the content he wants.
Pilotgirl
Lol he is pre-med tho!
nacluth
#8 Cal Baptist outlasts UTRGV by a point.
Pilotgirl
And UVU beats Chicago St.

We will play the winner of UVU vs ACU.
PurpleOut
Staff
If you didn't see it, Utah Valley got Trey Woodbury back last night. Originally a UNLV transfer, he lead UVU in scoring last season and has been out injured this year. First game back and came off the bench and played 16 minutes.

Something to watch out for.
No-look
PurpleOut said:

If you didn't see it, Utah Valley got Trey Woodbury back last night. Originally a UNLV transfer, he lead UVU in scoring last season and has been out injured this year. First game back and came off the bench and played 16 minutes.

Something to watch out for.
if they win tonight maybe their legs won't be fresh enough to beat us.
SFA88
They are a good replacement for the terrible cash strapped Chicago State (ugh). The only thing I can think of is the San Antonio market was too inticing to pass up.

Let's hope the WAC got some assurances that UIW will work to improve their programs. Even if they did, I doubt those assurances will mean anything.
TallTexan
SFA88 said:

They are a good replacement for the terrible cash strapped Chicago State (ugh). The only thing I can think of is the San Antonio market was too inticing to pass up.

Let's hope the WAC got some assurances that UIW will work to improve their programs. Even if they did, I doubt those assurances will mean anything.
Those assurances didn't mean anything to the Southland. WAC should put it in the San Antonio paper so that their own fans hold them too it.
nacluth
UTRGV women hit 8 threes in the first half. Their new tactic is working.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

UTRGV women hit 8 threes in the first half. Their new tactic is working.
Hopefully it keeps working and we get a rematch. I want to see all our opponents have tired legs.
nacluth
Sam brutalized Cal Baptist 65-35.

Sam goes on to face GCU tomorrow with a little extra juice it seems.
nacluth
ACU pulls away late to send UVU home. Higher seeds continue to hold serve on the men's side.
djsfw57
SFAXE93 said:

I find it very odd that Teddy Allen has played at FIVE colleges. I've never heard of anyone doing that.

1. freshman - West Virginia
2. redshirt - Wichita State
3. sophomore - Western Nebraska CC
4. redshirt junior - Nebraska
5. redshirt junior - NMSU

I don't even know how that many coaches would take a chance on him since he never stays anywhere more than a season.
PurpleOut
Staff
djsfw57 said:

SFAXE93 said:

I find it very odd that Teddy Allen has played at FIVE colleges. I've never heard of anyone doing that.

I don't even know how that many coaches would take a chance on him since he never stays anywhere more than a season.
There's a bunch that have done that. The last few years Nicholls State had several kids that were at 5+ schools.

Cam Mack was at 6 schools I believe (SFA, 2 CC's, St. Johns, Nebraska, PVAMU).

It's the world we live in now.
cboothe09
BTW Mack is no longer on their roster. Started the year there I believe, but disappeared.
Mitch is also without a basketball home still as wellโ€ฆNot sure what is going on there.
SFAXE93

djsfw57
PurpleOut said:

djsfw57 said:

SFAXE93 said:

There's a bunch that have done that. The last few years Nicholls State had several kids that were at 5+ schools.

I don't know how I managed to miss that happening. Blows my mind. Sure can mess with programs and stability.
PurpleOut
Staff
djsfw57 said:

PurpleOut said:

djsfw57 said:

SFAXE93 said:

I don't know how I managed to miss that happening. Blows my mind. Sure can mess with programs and stability.
It's only going to get worse with how the transfer portal works.

It's basically a 24/7/365 recruiting effort now for head coaches to keep their own players. Amongst the stuff going on with Tom Crean and Georgia, there was an article that came out with quotes from a D1 coach talking about how bad the portal is now. It's not really that much of a portal, and that the majority of the kids that enter it...already know where they are going.

Coaching staffs are reaching out directly to kids, but also to their families and former AAU coaches telling them they need to transfer. So of course the families and AAU coaches then get in the ear of the kids, and it spirals.
djsfw57
PurpleOut said:

djsfw57 said:

PurpleOut said:

djsfw57 said:

SFAXE93 said:

It's only going to get worse with how the transfer portal works.

It's basically a 24/7/365 recruiting effort now for head coaches to keep their own players. Amongst the stuff going on with Tom Crean and Georgia, there was an article that came out with quotes from a D1 coach talking about how bad the portal is now. It's not really that much of a portal, and that the majority of the kids that enter it...already know where they are going.

Coaching staffs are reaching out directly to kids, but also to their families and former AAU coaches telling them they need to transfer. So of course the families and AAU coaches then get in the ear of the kids, and it spirals.

Wow, that's a mess.
SFAJack_76
Seven of the players on our current roster spent one, or more, seasons at another D1 school.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.