WAC Hoops 2021-2022

23,703 Views | 219 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by PurpleOut
PurpleOut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Starting a thread just for Hoops season.

List of scrimmages:

WAC
Abilene Christian 10/23 vs. Texas State at neutral site; 10/30 vs. Texas A&M-Corpus Christi at neutral site
Cal Baptist 10/24 at San Francisco; 10/29 vs. USD
Chicago State None
Dixie State None
Grand Canyon 10/23 at USC
Lamar 10/23 at New Orleans
New Mexico State 10/23 at Arizona State; 10/30 vs. Texas Tech in Hobbs, NM
Sam Houston 10/23 vs. Texas A&M-Corpus Christi
Seattle 10/23 at Portland; 10/31 vs. Portland State
Stephen F. Austin 10/23 vs. Troy in Jackson, Miss.; 10/30 vs. Rice
Tarleton State 10/30 vs. Prairie View A&M
Utah Valley 10/23 at UNLV; 10/30 at Weber State
UTRGV 10/23 vs. Prairie View A&M
PurpleOut
Staff
nacluth
Haslem probably has the WAC ranked too high, but it's refreshing since he usually has SFA ranked too low.
SFAJack_76
nacluth said:

Haslem probably has the WAC ranked too high, but it's refreshing since he usually has SFA ranked too low.
Has us at 142. Exactly where our NET was at the end of last season.

https://haslametrics.com/ratings.php
sfa17

We went from the 30th (SLC) best league to the 18th (Wac)

Southland, went from 30th to 31st
SFAXE93
Quote:

Kenpom's ratings (unless I made a mistake). Big drop for ACU despite some great returnees and recruits. New head coach I guess.
1. NMSU
2. SFA
3. GCU
4. Seattle
5. ACU
6. SHSU
7. CBU
8. TSU
9. UVU
10. LU
11. UTRGV
12. DSU
13. CSU
WAC at #18 in conferences.

In 2020, the WAC was 23rd.

Southland, 30th to 31st.

32 DI conferences

I think SFA upgraded when it comes to conferences.
TallTexan
SFAXE93 said:

Quote:

Kenpom's ratings (unless I made a mistake). Big drop for ACU despite some great returnees and recruits. New head coach I guess.
1. NMSU
2. SFA
3. GCU
4. Seattle
5. ACU
6. SHSU
7. CBU
8. TSU
9. UVU
10. LU
11. UTRGV
12. DSU
13. CSU
WAC at #18 in conferences.

In 2020, the WAC was 23rd.

Southland, 30th to 31st.

32 DI conferences

I think SFA upgraded when it comes to conferences.
What Kenpom ranking does the average 2 bid league start at?

30 to 18 is a huge jump that should payoff when it comes to seedings.
nacluth
Over the last decade it's consistently been between 9-11 multi-bid leagues.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Well we're a lot closer atleast.

Conference brain trust should research some strategies to land more OOC wins for everyone in the league. That will pay off long term.
nacluth
Now to be fair, the multi bid leagues aren't necessarily the top 11 ranked leagues. You can have two strong teams that get bids with the rest of the league as trash, but you have to be a top 40 team with significant wins as the second team to get that look.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

nacluth said:

Well we're a lot closer atleast.

Conference brain trust should research some strategies to land more OOC wins for everyone in the league. That will pay off long term.

Getting rid of Chicago State next season improves this league by a bit. So, maybe the WAC could be a 1617 ranked league 22/23.
SFAXE93
WAC Men's Basketball 2021-22 Season Preview

https://www.wachoopsdigest.com/wac-mens-basketball-2021-22-season-preview/
PurpleOut
Staff
SFAXE93
PurpleOut
Staff
No-look
What's the secret to getting students involved like this? We win consistently for the most part so that's not the issue.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

I really want to know how they pull this off.
sfa17
https://www.wachoopsdigest.com/who-has-the-best-guard-line-in-the-wac-you-be-the-judge/

SFA88
Just my 2 cents but I think the schools that don't have football get more student involvement in basketball. It is not Texas. I think we can all admit that football is not just king in Texas it is god.

That arena has 5,000 seats. It was midnight madness, they are just now moving to D1, they were unveiling their WAC championship banner. There were many reasons to fill that place. I wonder how much support they get during a regular season game? It may be the same but I don't know.

GCU men's program is the only WAC program that I know gets that support night in and night out. The GCU women do not. There does seem to be a big push to get the HAVOCS out for women's BB and they did pack the soccer games for men AND women this year so I guess we will find out if they show up for the women's BB games.

It's too bad SFA and GCU don't play twice this year. It might be an eyeopener for the SFA students to see SFA play at GCU. Then again, they may not care. It ain't football.
SFAJack_76
Hot take. GCU is in no way a benchmark for SFA.

23,000 on campus students. 16,000 of those live in on campus housing. Another 90,000 adult on line students.

GCU has an entirely different financing model than SFA. The Department of Education classifies them as for profit. And, they have entirely different facilities and amenities for their students and athletes than SFA does.
SFA88
The question was how does SFA get that kind of student support for basketball. Given, that GCU has unbelievable student support for men's basketball, I think SFA could learn something from them. I do feel that, without football, men's basketball is the premier sport on the GCU campus and that plays a big roll.

However, if you feel that because SFA has fewer on-campus students and because it does not have the money that GCU has, SFA cannot get students involved in basketball. I'll take your word for it. I haven't even been in the state since 1989 much less Nacogdoches, so I'm clearly out of touch.

Since you brought it up, Regarding the Department of Education (DOE), GCU split the for-profit business arm from the university back in 2018. Both the Arizona Department of Revenue and the IRS of the United States recognize the new university entity as a non-profit. When Perdue bought Kaplan Online it changed the name and created a business arrangement between the non-profit university and the business services. That arraignment was approved by the DOE in 3 months. GCU has been trying to get approval for 30 months. Some legal experts believe the arrangement GCU has is the same as the one Perdue has (in fact that is why GCU did it that way). The University of Arizona is buying similar online company and the thought is they will set it up the same way Perdue did in order to get DOE approval. GCU filed a lawsuit against the DOE in February of this year. So now the courts will decide one way or the other.

I understand that the DOE is trying to avoid giving grants to all these for-profit universities just because they setup a non-profit entity but they may have backed themselves into a corner with the Perdue approval. Even though they made me uneasy sometimes when they were for-profit, I think GCU is a little different because it began life 60 years ago as a small Baptist university and when they sold and went for-profit they poured those huge profits back into the university. It is cheaper to go there than it is to go to the state universities and they haven't raised tuition in 13 years.

I don't have a dog in the fight and don't care how the case comes out but it should be interesting.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

Man that sucks for ACU.
nacluth
ACU lost in double OT by 1 to Texas A&M and beat UTA in OT. They are a good squad with little fall off from last year. They are going to be a hard team to play in conference.
nacluth
NMSt. beat a good Davidson team today in their MTE. A good Missouri State team waxed Sam by 20 yesterday.
PurpleOut
Staff
nacluth said:

ACU lost in double OT by 1 to Texas A&M and beat UTA in OT. They are a good squad with little fall off from last year. They are going to be a hard team to play in conference.
ACU is struggling right now offensively, but their defense is keeping them in games.

Biggest issue I see right now is the difference from Kolton Kohl to Cameron Steele.
PurpleOut
Staff
New Mexico State is getting MURDERED by Utah State right now. 71-37 with 7:09 to play.
nacluth
Wow.
PurpleOut
Staff
PurpleOut said:

New Mexico State is getting MURDERED by Utah State right now. 71-37 with 7:09 to play.
85-58 Final. It wasn't even that close.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

PurpleOut said:

85-58 Final. It wasn't even that close.
41-16 at halftime.

I googled the score and got the 31-13 football result and thought "no way is NMSU basketball getting beat that bad". And it turns out they were getting beat worse.
nacluth
Scored 42 points in the second and still lost the half.
nacluth
NMSU handled a pretty good Indiana St. tonight. Their flop the other night may not be indicative of a blown season.
SFAJack_76
She has been doing a nice job building that program.
PurpleOut
Staff
Turns out Orleans Arena basically double booked themselves between the WAC and WCC tournaments. So, the WAC is moving to the Michelob Ultra Arena (at Mandalay Bay) for a day of first round games on Tuesday March 8th. And then moving to Orleans Arena the next day for the remainder of the tournament.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.