2021-2022 NCAA Basketball

24,474 Views | 220 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Pilotgirl
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Seton Hall pays high major money. He'll make several mil a year.
MinnJack
I am confused by this conversation. Seton Hall IS a high major, in the Big East. Same as Villanova. It is Shaheen's alma mater, where he was the starting point guard.
SFA Jack Fanatic
As I'm watching the Final Four, I can't help but hear the teams' cheerleaders throughout each game, with their male cheerleaders blaring into megaphones. And I think about SFA's games, and our cheerleaders who are about as quiet as church mice. Can someone whisper in their ears and say "Make some dadgum noise and shout encouragements to the Jacks and Ladyjacks all game long!"?
nacluth
Hmm. I thought the cheerleaders really stepped up this year especially on defense.

I can't help but wondering how nice it would have been to beat the national champions at their building.
SFAJack_76
nacluth said:

Hmm. I thought the cheerleaders really stepped up this year especially on defense.

I can't help but wondering how nice it would have been to beat the national champions at their building.
Agree. Perhaps the floor mics on national telecasts make a difference.
PurpleOut
Staff
I'll agree with both comments, there are mics all around the court for the tournament. But, I still think our cheerleaders can do better...I've never thought they were really into the games. They just have a routine of what to say yell and stick with it.

That weekend of the reunion game I even asked them if they could do something different to match the noise we were making (I also emailed them before hand), since obviously it would make more sense to have two separate groups on the same page. They refused.

Not meant to be a slight, but sometimes you have to adapt to game flow, and be open to new things. We've got plenty of cheerleaders with megaphones that could make some real noise if they tried.
SFA Jack Fanatic
PurpleOut said:

I'll agree with both comments, there are mics all around the court for the tournament. But, I still think our cheerleaders can do better...I've never thought they were really into the games. They just have a routine of what to say yell and stick with it.

That weekend of the reunion game I even asked them if they could do something different to match the noise we were making (I also emailed them before hand), since obviously it would make more sense to have two separate groups on the same page. They refused.

Not meant to be a slight, but sometimes you have to adapt to game flow, and be open to new things. We've got plenty of cheerleaders with megaphones that could make some real noise if they tried.

Agree. Since I live so far away, I am able to make only a few games each year. But at the ones I attend the cheerleaders have tended to do almost all of their cheering during timeouts and not when the ball is in play. And their cheers are aimed at the crowd and not the teams. That's the sort of stuff that high school cheerleaders do, not college cheerleaders. Cheerleaders should be trying to pump up both the fans AND the players. Ours need to get out of the high school cheerleading mode that they were probably raised on. (Ever gone to a high school football game where the cheerleaders are in their own little world and have no idea there is even a game going on??)
PurpleOut
Staff
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

PurpleOut said:

Agree. Since I live so far away, I am able to make only a few games each year. But at the ones I attend the cheerleaders have tended to do almost all of their cheering during timeouts and not when the ball is in play. And their cheers are aimed at the crowd and not the teams. That's the sort of stuff that high school cheerleaders do, not college cheerleaders. Cheerleaders should be trying to pump up both the fans AND the players. Ours need to get out of the high school cheerleading mode that they were probably raised on. (Ever gone to a high school football game where the cheerleaders are in their own little world and have no idea there is even a game going on??)
To be fair, because our cheerleaders are overall amazing when it comes to competition and winning titles, to me it's not that they are in high school cheerleading mode...it's that they are in a constant competition mode. When they need to be in the current game mode. Either way, it's the same outcome.
No-look
As we have talked about before, get a large student section and "everything " would change for the better. Excitement causes more excitement
SFAJack_76
PurpleOut said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

PurpleOut said:

To be fair, because our cheerleaders are overall amazing when it comes to competition and winning titles, to me it's not that they are in high school cheerleading mode...it's that they are in a constant competition mode. When they need to be in the current game mode. Either way, it's the same outcome.
Agree. They are in competition and performance mode always. I doubt it changes as the sprit teams transition to being part of the athletic department, but we will see.
Pilotgirl
TJ has them 150% under his thumb. It would have to come from him.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.