2021-2022 NCAA Basketball

24,985 Views | 220 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Pilotgirl
SFA Jack Fanatic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
One potential rule change that the NCAA is considering is changing from 5 fouls to 6 fouls before being disqualified, with a maximum of 4 fouls in one half. It will be tested in the 2022 NIT.
TallTexan
cboothe09
Sigh...
SFAJack_76
Interested to see how this works for him. Wish Country the best.
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic
Here's a good article about how UH Coach Kelvin Sampson much prefers plucking more mature and experienced players from the transfer portal to signing high school players.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/college/article/Kelvin-Sampson-uses-transfer-portal-to-help-UH-16195301.php
TallTexan
SFAXE93
Good for Coach Pastrana, going to be tough though when the Gators play FSU
SFAJack_76
PurpleOut
Staff
Oh boy

TallTexan
This seems unlikely?

What midmajor is gonna turn down guarantee money? And they're just gonna see them in the tournament anyway?
No-look
TallTexan said:

This seems unlikely?

What midmajor is gonna turn down guarantee money? And they're just gonna see them in the tournament anyway?
Evidently there is a lot of this stuff going on. More so now that the gates have opened.
SFA Jack Fanatic
What a freakin' mess the NCAA has created!!!!! Pandora's box has been opened and it's too late to close it. The majors that control the NCAA have won. The mid-majors and smaller schools have lost.
sfa17
SFA Jack Fanatic
The NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel approved moving the women's 3-point line to the international distance of 22' 1 3/4" beginning with the '21-'22 season. Previously, the distance was 20' 9". Apparently, there were too many 3-pointers attempted and made this past season in Divisions I, II, and III.
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

The NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel approved moving the women's 3-point line to the international distance of 22' 1 3/4" beginning with the '21-'22 season. Previously, the distance was 20' 9". Apparently, there were too many 3-pointers attempted and made this past season in Divisions I, II, and III.

Is that the current men's line?

Because I'll be happy not to have two lines on the court.

Heck, I counted one quarter of a game last year and we shot 75% of them behind the men's line anyways.
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Is that the current men's line?

Because I'll be happy not to have two lines on the court.

Heck, I counted one quarter of a game last year and we shot 75% of them behind the men's line anyways.

Yes. That took effect in the '19-'20 season. (I cheated. I had to look it up.)
PurpleOut
Staff
I'm confused.

SFA Jack Fanatic
PurpleOut said:

I'm confused.

Say what??? Well, that's definitely closer to home.
nacluth
Ok.
SFAJack_76
He had said he wanted to play closer to home, so this does fit that better than MTSU. From a basketball stand point, perhaps it indicates this is his last year of playing? UAPB has a new HC that is coming from Oral Roberts. Solomon Bozeman also spent a couple of years at ACU with Golding.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Here's a good article from Dick Vitale about the absolute mess that has been caused by the transfer portal lunacy. I totally agree with Vitale's assessment. The idiots at the NCAA who thought this was a good idea should be... well, I can't say what I think should be done to them.....

https://www.espn.com/espn/dickvitale/story/_/id/31832051/transfer-portal-making-tough-college-basketball-coaches
TallTexan
I actually come down on the other side of Vitale. Until scholarships are 4 year guarantees, let them go wherever they want after the season is up.

If a coach can non-renew your scholarship because they have a bigger or better recruit coming in, they have all the power. And we constantly see coaches do this.

Or if you hit stardom, I have no problem with you leaving for a bigger league/team. Sure, it sucks for us if someone makes that decision, but these are kids who are simply asking for a better chance at lifechanging money.

On the other hand, you have coaches, who at the D1 level nearly all make 6 figure salaries, who can leave mid contract and the only recourse for the jilted school is getting a buyout. They can't say "nope, we paid you, gave you a good facility and players, put you under a good AD, you gotta stay for 2 more years".

So why should we leave players with a power imbalance against them? Until the universities either guarantee 4 year scholarships or start paying players, in my mind it's only fair that they should have the same rights to leave that everyone else does.
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

I actually come down on the other side of Vitale. Until scholarships are 4 year guarantees, let them go wherever they want after the season is up.

If a coach can non-renew your scholarship because they have a bigger or better recruit coming in, they have all the power. And we constantly see coaches do this.

Or if you hit stardom, I have no problem with you leaving for a bigger league/team. Sure, it sucks for us if someone makes that decision, but these are kids who are simply asking for a better chance at lifechanging money.

On the other hand, you have coaches, who at the D1 level nearly all make 6 figure salaries, who can leave mid contract and the only recourse for the jilted school is getting a buyout. They can't say "nope, we paid you, gave you a good facility and players, put you under a good AD, you gotta stay for 2 more years".

So why should we leave players with a power imbalance against them? Until the universities either guarantee 4 year scholarships or start paying players, in my mind it's only fair that they should have the same rights to leave that everyone else does.

After Tezeno makes WAC Newcomer of the Year as a freshman, WAC POY his sophomore season, then heads off to LSU or Gonzaga via the portal, let's see if you still feel the same way, Texan.
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

After Tezeno makes WAC Newcomer of the Year as a freshman, WAC POY his sophomore season, then heads off to LSU or Gonzaga via the portal, let's see if you still feel the same way, Texan.
I'm not saying it wouldn't suck.

But if Keller can non renew his scholarship every offseason, that to me is more equivalent of an unrestricted free agent situation.

I don't like the idea of losing a kid to a transfer up, but until college basketball is ready to equalize the power structure and give better guarantees, I'm not gonna hold it against players for taking what they think is their best shot at going pro.
Ljacks&Longnecks
While I see the point that Texan is making, this transfer without delay portal was set up for the benefit of the Big schools as if they didn't already run the show. The Power schools will take the Poseys and Tezanos from any Mid Major they can at will and then the 'lower" level folks at the Mid Majors have to find a way to fill the holes. I guess that there will be a few athletes that will fall down to the Mid schools from the Power conferences and it remains to be seen how that will play out.
I used to be a big MLB fan but free agency ruined the game for me. Couldn't count on players coming back to your roster, if your team didn't have real money than you would lose players at their first opportunity. Little continuity. no loyalty and no chance to win if money kept you out of the FA market. Probably couldn't name 10 players from MLB now. At least as far as college basketball goes my only vested interest is SFA men and women and that won't change regardless how much the roster does.
No-look
Heard that there's still about 30% still in the transfer portal? I'm guessing some can return to their team if not picked up?
SFAJack_76
PurpleOut said:

I'm confused.

This tweet has been deleted. Cam is not on the UAPB roster. His Twitter profile says professional basketball player.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Interesting. He's had a whirlwind journey to a pro team in the last few months. We wish him well.
RichieVan
The Southland Conference will be having a 14 game conference basketball schedule so, in order for each team in the conference to bolster their schedule, they're going to hold a Pre-conference season tournament in Katy where all eight teams play three games. They will all be considered non-conference games. Boy, that will certainly help their non-conference credentials, huh?
TallTexan
RichieVan said:

The Southland Conference will be having a 14 game conference basketball schedule so, in order for each team in the conference to bolster their schedule, they're going to hold a Pre-conference season tournament in Katy where all eight teams play three games. They will all be considered non-conference games. Boy, that will certainly help their non-conference credentials, huh?

You can't be serious.
PurpleOut
Staff
If only it were easier for an even amount of teams to play each other the same amount of times in the conference regular season.
SFAJack_76
Okay ..
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

Okay ..

Thank goodness that each of the thousands of student athletes across the country doesn't see the need to let the universe know he/she is returning for another year like this narcissistic head case does.
PurpleOut
Staff
I get what they are going for here, but I don't think this looks good.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.