Southland Conference

34,323 Views | 216 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by SFAXE93
Pilotgirl
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Maybe the CIT will invite them?
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

Where is the SLC champion? At least four teams opted out, and they still aren't in.

Apparently, the folks in the NIT are smarter than the suits in the SLC.
SFAJack_76
Pilotgirl said:

Maybe the CIT will invite them?
Well, unfortunately the CIT was cancelled for 2021. The CBI, however, gets announced on Tuesday. If invited, can Nicholls afford to go?
Pilotgirl
Ahh I knew one of them was still scheduled!
SFAJack_76
Apparently, the SLC champion is not playing any post season basketball. Shocked, I tell you. Absolutely shocked.
SFAXE93
2021 SFA SPORTS

MENS
BASEBALL: 11-13; 9-7; 5th Place (WON 9 OF LAST 11)
BASKETBALL: 16-5; 12-3; 4th Place
TRACK & FIELD: SLC INDOOR CHAMPIONS

WOMENS
BASKETBALL: 24-3; 14-0; SLC CHAMPIONS; SLC TOURNEY CHAMPIONS; NCAA TOURNAMENT; #27 AP POLL
BEACH VOLLEYBALL: 6-10; 0-0 (3 STRAIGHT WINS; WON 4 OF LAST 5)
BOWLING: #24 RANKING
SOCCER: 9-5-2; 7-3-0; 2nd Place (3 STRAIGHT WINS) Tied for 1st if Lamar loses today
SOFTBALL: 21-8; 12-0; 1st Place (11 STRAIGHT WINS; 20 OF LAST 21)
TENNIS: 8-8; 2-6; 8TH Place
TRACK & FIELD: 3rd Place
VOLLEYBALL: 23-6; 11-1; SLC CHAMPIONS

SFA Jack Fanatic
I believe Women's T&F finished 3rd.
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

I believe Women's T&F finished 3rd.
Correct. And, Lamar soccer did lose so we are tied with them for first.
SFAXE93
Before SFA exits the SLC for the final time, it would be nice to get a final tally on the total number of SLC Championships our entire AD program has won.

I know it is at lease over 100 at last count, I lost track.
RichieVan
https://hbcusports.com/?amp
Looks like HBCUs are the plan for expansion
SFA Jack Fanatic
RichieVan said:

https://hbcusports.com/?amp
Looks like HBCUs are the plan for expansion
The Southland is on life support right now. I have no sympathy for those clowns in Frisco.
BigJack85
I don't see the SLC grabbing SWAC schools. They (SWAC) just executed on a masterful expansion adding two schools (FAMU and BCU) What would the motivation be for grambling and southern to join a league with zero media rights. The SWAC is "supposedly in the process of renegotiating their media contracts and it sounds positive. The buffoonery clown show that somehow recommended adding UIW and HBU is totally lost. The SLC is on life support , for good reasons.
TallTexan
I've seen 3 or 4 folks who knew about Texas 4 WAC plans ahead of time who say that the SLC raiding the WAC is extremely unlikely to happen.

I doubt it happens. Seems more likely that they're going to have to further raid D2.
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

I've seen 3 or 4 folks who knew about Texas 4 WAC plans ahead of time who say that the SLC raiding the WAC is extremely unlikely to happen.

I doubt it happens. Seems more likely that they're going to have to further raid D2.

SLC raiding the WAC?? That's the first time I've heard that nonsense.
TallTexan
Forgot an S. Southland raiding the SWAC.

Though to be fair, I will not stand in the way of the Southland stealing Seattle.
SFAJack_76
I get doing it virtual. In person would be brutally uncomfortable.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Say what??? The Soutland Conference is adding NJIT as a tennis member.
SFAJack_76
From the release:

"NJIT's men's and women's tennis programs will participate in the Southland Conference Tournaments and will be eligible for the league's automatic berths to the NCAA Men's and Women's Tennis Tournaments. The Highlanders' tennis programs will not officially participate in the single round-robin league schedule during the regular season, and its teams shall be placed in the seeded tournament bracket through a process to be determined."

The SLC has had issues seeding teams that play. What could possibly go wrong with a process TBD?
djsfw57
SFAJack_76 said:

From the release:

"NJIT's men's and women's tennis programs will participate in the Southland Conference Tournaments and will be eligible for the league's automatic berths to the NCAA Men's and Women's Tennis Tournaments. The Highlanders' tennis programs will not officially participate in the single round-robin league schedule during the regular season, and its teams shall be placed in the seeded tournament bracket through a process to be determined."

The SLC has had issues seeding teams that play. What could possibly go wrong with a process TBD?
The. SLC. Is. Stupid. I am SO DAMN GLAD to be out of that pretend athletic conference.
Pilotgirl
SFAJack_76 said:

From the release:

What. A. Mess. Lololol
PurpleOut
Staff
Such a slap in the face to the Southland schools.

"Hey, I know you're not playing any of our teams, but why don't you play in our conference tournament so that you can possibly take away their spot in the NCAA Tournament."
BigJack85
PurpleOut said:

"Hey, I know you're not playing any of our teams, but why don't you play in our conference tournament so that you can possibly take away their spot in the NCAA Tournament."

The SLC is desperate and they deserve it. When Burnett dropped that pile of $__t on us with UIW and HBU, the whole SLC mojo (what little there was) went down the tubes.
RichieVan
NJIT's nickname is the "Highlanders", which is ironic since their location, Newark, NJ, is at sea level. Go figure.
SFA Jack Fanatic
BigJack85 said:

PurpleOut said:

The SLC is desperate and they deserve it. When Burnett dropped that pile of $__t on us with UIW and HBU, the whole SLC mojo (what little there was) went down the tubes.

I'll be so happy when we put that pigsty of a conference in our rearview mirror.
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

BigJack85 said:

PurpleOut said:

I'll be so happy when we put that pigsty of a conference in our rearview mirror.

8 more days.
Pilotgirl
djsfw57
Pilotgirl said:

They've been courting some real powerhouses....
SFAJack_76
Markings of a conference with zero direction. Flailing about.
SFAJack_76
Opportunity thrown away. Sad.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

Opportunity thrown away. Sad.

Good grief! Look at all of that stuff they had in their apartment(s). Drugs. Weapons. One or more of them must have been drug dealers and not simply users.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Report: Texas A&M - Commerce to join the Southland Conference.
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Report: Texas A&M - Commerce to join the Southland Conference.

I somehow missed that news last night. Good for Commerce.

SFAJack_76
Done deal. We will see how they mange the four year transition to D1. They have the minimum number of sports with six men's and eight women's. Of the fourteen, six include XC, indoor track, and outdoor track. No baseball. Added softball in 2015, when Ivey was there.
SFAXE93
Who else?

SLC

SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA
NORTHWESTERN STATE
MCNEESE STATE
NICHOLLS STATE
UIW
TEXAS A&M - COMMERCE
TEXAS A&M - CORPUS CHRISTI
NEW ORLEANS
HOUSTON BAPTIST
CENTRAL OKLAHOMA
?
?
SFAJack_76
SFAXE93 said:

Who else?

SLC

SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA
NORTHWESTERN STATE
MCNEESE STATE
NICHOLLS STATE
UIW
TEXAS A&M - COMMERCE
TEXAS A&M - CORPUS CHRISTI
NEW ORLEANS
HOUSTON BAPTIST
CENTRAL OKLAHOMA
?
?

Has Central Oklahoma been confirmed?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.