Southland Conference

34,742 Views | 216 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by SFAXE93
CertifiedAxeman98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Pilotgirl
What a joke
CertifiedAxeman98
I think the Southland needs to get constant heat on social media for their scheduling this year. The commissioner really wants his horse (Nicholls St.) to win this year. He said as much when commenting on the #Texas4 leaving.

I am rooting for SAM to beat Nicholls.
Pilotgirl
Same!
CertifiedAxeman98
Southland Conference All-Kenpom.com as of 2/2/2021

1 Kolton Kohl, Abilene Christian (Sr)
2 Zach Nutall, Sam Houston St. (Jr)
3 Ty Gordon, Nicholls St. (Jr)
4 Gavin Kensmil, Stephen F. Austin (Sr)
5 Rylan Bergersen, Central Arkansas (Sr)
cboothe09
I can live with that. I'd like to see Cam on there, but not sure who you bump for him. Haven't seen Gordon play, but Bergersen and Nutall have been very good.
CertifiedAxeman98
After a year of absolutely no activity on the Southland's YouTube channel they posted media day interviews with coaches for spring football and fall basketball interviews. I forgot that they were on YouTube and that I was subscribed to them until I went to YouTube last night and saw all these in my feed.

What is interesting is that they have over 2K subscribers and the WAC only has 990. I figure there are lots of subscribers like me that didn't realize they were a subscriber of the SLC. The WAC posts content weekly. I figure we need to boost the WAC subscriber base.

https://www.youtube.com/southlandsports

https://www.youtube.com/user/wacsportstv
No-look
Sam is struggling with Nicholls early
Pilotgirl
A ref is injured...do they ever have back up refs?
TallTexan
Pilotgirl said:

A ref is injured...do they ever have back up refs?

They'll just poll the crowd to see who forgot their glasses and choose one at random.
Pilotgirl
Lol he was able to keep going but it was a few minutes then I wondered what happens if one couldn't continue...
SFA Jack Fanatic
Prison Tech about to knock off Nicholls for the 2nd time. Imagine what Nicholls'record would be if they played Prison Tech, ACU, and SFA. The SLC tried to hand the conference championship to Nicholls.
Pilotgirl
Whew...Sam wins by 7
SFA Jack Fanatic
Pilotgirl said:

Lol he was able to keep going but it was a few minutes then I wondered what happens if one couldn't continue...
In a 3-man officiating crew, if one is injured the two remaining officials change over to 2-man officiating techniques, which are a bit different from three-man.

When I officiated, I once had to officiate a Class 5-A (now 6-A) HS boys game by myself after an injury to my partner in a 2-man crew. That was not fun. Nobody was happy with me after it was all over with, because it is physically impossible for one man to see everything going on among ten big, strong players.
No-look
My first gig as a ref was a jr high game in Kennard tx. It was a one man crew and I was it. Rough to say the least. Game came down to the last shot which I sanctioned at the buzzer. One team was celebrating and the other was shouting time had expired. I still don't know if the shot was good or not. Lol
Pilotgirl
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Pilotgirl said:

In a 3-man officiating crew, if one is injured the two remaining officials change over to 2-man officiating techniques, which are a bit different from three-man.

When I officiated, I once had to officiate a Class 5-A (now 6-A) HS boys game by myself after an injury to my partner in a 2-man crew. That was not fun. Nobody was happy with me after it was all over with, because it is physically impossible for one man to see everything going on among ten big, strong players.

Wow thanks!
BigJack85
Looking at the latest Andy Katz bracketology, seeing Sam as a #16 seed just cements the case for us leaving the Southland. The only way to a #12 - #13 seed is to sweep the conference and win all but a couple non-conference games. To much weakness after the top 3-4 squads.
CertifiedAxeman98
BigJack85 said:

Looking at the latest Andy Katz bracketology, seeing Sam as a #16 seed just cements the case for us leaving the Southland. The only way to a #12 - #13 seed is to sweep the conference and win all but a couple non-conference games. To much weakness after the top 3-4 squads.
ACU is the best hope for the Southland in the Tourney. They should get a 14 or if they are lucky and run the table in the Southland they may get a 13 depending on the rest of the field.
CertifiedAxeman98
cboothe09
Big game in Abilene tonight with one-loss Sam facing one-loss ACU. What's the rooting interest here?
SFAJack_76
cboothe09 said:

Big game in Abilene tonight with one-loss Sam facing one-loss ACU. What's the rooting interest here?
ACU because they're not Sam.
PurpleOut
Staff
ACU and Sam is a REALLY good game if you aren't watching. Higher scoring than I would have guess. 43-38 ACU at the break.

I went back and forth on who we should want to win. One side of me says you want ACU to win because we play them at home, and Sam on the road and have better odds that way. But I still think ACU is the best team right now...and we match up much better against Sam. So I'm rooting (slightly) for the Bearkats tonight.
PurpleOut
Staff
Thinking about it more...honestly it doesn't matter who wins this game.

We have to win out in order to win the title. Nobody else is going to beat ACU or Sam. So if one of them win out, it's over.
PurpleOut
Staff
Sam had down to a 3pt game, and then ACU ends it on an 11-0 run to win 86-72.
SFAJack_76
  • Acknowledging the numerous difficulties of playing through the COVID-19 pandemic, the Southland Conference Board of Directors recently agreed to expand the field of the 2021 Hercules Tires Southland Men's and Women's Basketball Tournaments from eight to 10 teams.
  • The presidential decision follows a recommendation from campus athletic directors, adding two more teams to the tournament bracket now set for March 9-14 at the Leonard E. Merrell Center.

SFAJack_76
Just for fun. NET rankings through games yesterday.

• ACU - #85
  • SFA - #148
  • Sam - #156
  • SLC champion Nicholls - #180 out of 347 teams.

I am so glad they kicked us out a year early. Bye.
sfa17
SFAJack_76 said:

Just for fun. NET rankings through games yesterday.

• ACU - #85
  • SFA - #148
  • Sam - #156
  • SLC champion Nicholls - #180 out of 347 teams.

I am so glad they kicked us out a year early. Bye.
  • Southern Utah 117
  • GCU - 138
  • NMSU -194

4 teams in top 150, plus sam at 156
SFAJack_76
Golding should have been COY with Keller second.
CertifiedAxeman98
SFAJack_76 said:

Golding should have been COY with Keller second.

only in the southland you hand the 4th best team in the conference the title and the 1 seed.
CertifiedAxeman98
Where do you think Claunch will be playing next year after being 1 and done in the NIT? If you get paid what assistant coaches get paid at other D1 schools you bet he is gone as soon as he can.
cboothe09
He will definitely be on the radar of a few schools. Put together a couple of good seasons and is a heck of a recruiter. I think you mentioned the big thing, he will be cheap. Won't take a lot to lure him out of the swamp...
CertifiedAxeman98
cboothe09 said:

He will definitely be on the radar of a few schools. Put together a couple of good seasons and is a heck of a recruiter. I think you mentioned the big thing, he will be cheap. Won't take a lot to lure him out of the swamp...
now for sure what he made this year but was in the neighborhood of $100K so I would expect any D1 school looking to upgrade can easily lure him away.
PurpleOut
Staff
CertifiedAxeman98
I plan to keep posting or responding to tweets from the Southland over and over this week with the Net and Kenpom Rankings along with noting that Nicholls didn't play anyone but Sam and lost. I wonder if stating facts will get be blocked?
djsfw57
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

I plan to keep posting or responding to tweets from the Southland over and over this week with the Net and Kenpom Rankings along with noting that Nicholls didn't play anyone but Sam and lost. I wonder if stating facts will get be blocked?
I doubt it. I burned them pretty good yesterday and was disappointed I didn't get blocked. LOL
SFA, Class of 1979

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.