Southland Conference

34,320 Views | 216 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by SFAXE93
SFAJack_76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
  • The Southland Conference Board of Directors approved a series of 2020-21 competitive standards Wednesday in the aftermath of the COVID-19 pandemic and resulting financial restrictions expected in the coming academic year for the Conference and its members.
  • In baseball, women's soccer, softball and volleyball, the top four regular-season finishers will advance to 2020-21 tournaments at the site of the No. 1 seed. Baseball and softball tournaments will feature double-elimination competition.
  • Men's and women's tennis teams will also advance their top four regular-season finishers to the tournament as well, but the event will remain in Beaumont, Texas, as previously determined to accommodate coaches who lead both men's and women's teams.
  • In all sports, the presidents approved team travel squad limitations for Conference competitions. Home teams will not be subject to squad limitations.
TallTexan
I kinda like this.

Wish they'd switch basketball to be hosted at the place of the regular season champion. Especially in 2021. Oh the heckling we could do.
SFAJack_76
Of course ... #32 out of 32. It's like they don't even try.
BigJack85
All the more reason to build a revitalized WAC with some upside and national brand. Even if that brand is very limited. When you hear Western Athletic Conference and Southland Conference to the casual fan, they probably think, WAC = Big Boy conference. Southland = isn't that a bunch of Div 1 wannabes.
SFA Jack Fanatic
What the heck?!?! Even the freakin' SWAC has almost four times as many!
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

What the heck?!?! Even the freakin' SWAC has almost four times as many!

I'm pretty sure all those twitter interactions were just me clowning the SLC.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Tough games for all three SLC teams this week.... SFA vs.Memphis, ACU vs. Virginia, and UCA vs. Louisiana Lafayette.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

Wow. I'd rather look at one of those as a partner to go with us.
SFAJack_76
CertifiedAxeman98
"They've got to answer that," Burnett said when asked why he felt this change happened. "They don't really spend a whole lot of time explaining that to the commissioner. ... I don't know if I have an explanation. If I did, I'd be happy sharing that with you."

This quote says it all. He doesn't seem to know why the Texas 4 left or is unwilling to admit why they left.

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/2021/01/14/as-wac-conference-announces-addition-of-5-schools-frisco-based-southland-conference-left-in-no-mans-land/
SFAJack_76
Tone deaf. Completely tone deaf. He and his staff have been being told exactly what the concerns were. Bye.
SFAJack_76
sfa17
From the horse's mouth. UCA to Asun. They were invited to 3 fcs conferences and picked Asun.
TallTexan
An interesting choice to be sure.
BigJack85
sfa17 said:

From the horse's mouth. UCA to Asun. They were invited to 3 fcs conferences and picked Asun.

I'll guess on the invites. 1. OVC. 2. ASUN. 3. Stay w/SLC
TallTexan
To me, OVC was still the perfect fit for them.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

To me, OVC was still the perfect fit for them.

Agreed
SFAJack_76
Fascinating that some people know better than those at the institution, what is better for them.
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

Fascinating that some people know better than those at the institution, what is better for them.

LOL. Just fun prognostication
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

I mean college athletic directors don't exactly have a track record of being the world's greatest decision makers.

There's very few Ryan Iveys out there and a lot more Steve Pattersons.
ljax1979
SFAJack_76 - Look at the train wreck at Tennessee...I think that might deserve some second guessing at the administrative level.
SFA Jack Fanatic
ljax1979 said:

SFAJack_76 - Look at the train wreck at Tennessee...I think that might deserve some second guessing at the administrative level.
Nah. There were only a dozen or so FB people fired there yesterday.
SFAJack_76
ljax1979 said:

Apples and oranges. Tennessee football has been a dumpster for years. Basketball and other sports have been successful.

UCA, at a different level of competition, has been successful at football and some level at other sports. I have seen no reason to question their administration. Heck, look at how successful they were at moving what's his name to SFA football.
TallTexan
I question any athletic department who would hire what's his name.

On paper, OVC seems like a perfect fit, but the FBS wildcard is making for some unexpected bedfellows. CFP contract ends in 2025, so that's why you're seeing movement now from anyone who wants to latch onto FBS.

It's gonna be a strange few years but big opportunities. I expect CAA will be the next to look at expansion with FBS in mind and I'd be surprised if Big Sky doesn't too.

sfa17
Interview with SLC commissioner starts around 7:00
BigJack85
Listened to the entire interview. Tom Burnett is bitter. Very bitter.
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

I'm just surprised he's awake. Dude's been asleep at the wheel for years.

And they asked "what are the criteria" for expansion & one of his first responses was major media markets.

He's learned nothing.
Pilotgirl
BigJack85 said:

Burnett can kiss my axe
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

BigJack85 said:

And they asked "what are the criteria" for expansion & one of his first responses was major media markets.

He's learned nothing.
. Ya. If he evaluated prospective universities, as he discussed in the interview, there never would have been a HBU UIW high school gym take over.
SFAXE93
Well, I guess since we are playing WAC football in 2021 we need to chance the title to this place to
WAC & NCAA
SFAJack_76
BigJack85 said:

TallTexan said:

BigJack85 said:

He's learned nothing.
. Ya. If he evaluated prospective universities, as he discussed in the interview, there never would have been a HBU UIW high school gym take over.
HBU
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

BigJack85 said:

TallTexan said:

HBU

Not surprised. A barn.
CertifiedAxeman98
sfa17 said:

Interview with SLC commissioner starts around 7:00

He has been the commissioner for a long time. Might need a leadership change. Also, interesting to hear him say that he is looking at facilities of possible new schools to make sure they are division 1 level facilities. Probably a good approach for the Southland and maybe they have learned from past mistakes.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.