2019 Ladyjack Soccer

25,613 Views | 152 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TallTexan
SFAJack_76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
April 27 will be a big day in Nac. Softball, baseball, football spring game, soccer, and a volleyball tournament with times TBD.

SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
Rather than starting another thread.
SFAJack_76
September 6, at SFA!
TallTexan
Awesome.

TBH though, I thought UT Athletics was pretending not to know where our campus was located.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

Awesome.

TBH though, I thought UT Athletics was pretending not to know where our campus was located.
UT soccer has played at SFA before.
SFAJack_76
Solid home non conference schedule includes UT and UH.
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
This would be a very disappointing result.
SFAJack_76
Purple/White game tonight.
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
Ladyjacks start the season 0-1 after a 2-1 loss to College of Charleston. Ladyjacks were outshot 17-5, 9-2 on goal. Looking forward to the positive headline.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

Looking forward to the positive headline.

Let me guess. Something about Freshman Colleen Feagins scoring in her first collegiate game.
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

SFAJack_76 said:

Let me guess. Something about Freshman Colleen Feagins scoring in her first collegiate game.
You're getting good at this.
BigJack85
I think this season will be better than last (6th place). Forget about the dominance from 2000 - 2016. Those days are long gone. When you've got a 13 team conference it's hard to be good across the board. With that many schools your going to have some schools work to be good in one or two sports.

A new facility would help.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

SFAJack_76 said:

You're getting good at this.

Practice and reading a lot of that guy's (scoreless) headlines makes perfect.
SFAJack_76
BigJack85 said:

I think this season will be better than last (6th place). Forget about the dominance from 2000 - 2016. Those days are long gone. When you've got a 13 team conference it's hard to be good across the board. With that many schools your going to have some schools work to be good in one or two sports.

I wish I could share your optimism, but I just can't right now. We simply are not getting the quality of player we used to get. We were not competitive in the matches I saw last season. We were slow. Technical skills were mediocre. I don't understand, as I have stated before, why Crittenden does not recruit from outside of Texas. We have one player from Shreveport, and that is it. That is the way all of his recruiting classes have been. None of our other sports recruit that way. Crittenden is the absolute master of coach speak, and that annoys me. Read his comments from Friday's game. Getting outshot 17-5 is being dominated. (The comment in the game story that the Ladyjacks outshot the opponent 6-2 in the second half is wrong. We were outshot 6-3.)

I wish we had better facilities, however the pitch was completely rebuilt a few years ago and is one of the best in the conference. About $50,000 was put into the locker room a few years ago. The T&F teams don't have a locker room.

Finishing middle of the conference is not compatible with the athletic department's vision. I hope we win tomorrow and finish in the top two or three in SLC play. I will gladly eat crow.
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

Somewhat off topic, but would a soccer field fit inside a regulation track?
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

BigJack85 said:

Somewhat off topic, but would a soccer field fit inside a regulation track?
Yes

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_A._Myers_Stadium
SFAJack_76
UNCW 3 SFA 0. Ladyjacks were outshot by 19-8 (12-2 in the second half) 8-3 on goal.

UNCW was 3-5-1 in CAA play in 2018.

Next up is a home match on Friday against Southern.
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

UNCW 3 SFA 0. Ladyjacks were outshot by 19-8 (12-2 in the second half) 8-3 on goal.

UNCW was 3-5-1 in CAA play in 2018.

Next up is a home match on Friday against Southern.

76. I'm starting to come around to your point of view. I don't understand the drop off in talent , other than the facilities angle. What do you think? Has Wally lost his touch ??
SFAJack_76
My opinion only, I am not sure Crittenden ever recruited well. He inherited an excellent program with a deep roster. To his credit, he won with those players. It appears that Crittenden can coach and game scheme with good talent. I don't think he can take middle of the pack players and develop them to high level players. Then, as you mentioned, other programs improved.

His comments from today:
On the quality of opponents at Charleston Under Armour Invitational:
"We came here expecting to play two teams that are NCAA caliber teams in a multi-bid league and we got just that. When playing in tournament finals and against these quality opponents, it is critical that we appreciate and convert the moments that can define games.

On the offensive opportunities created in the game:
On Friday, we had a handful of moments up until the last seconds of the game. Today, we had several high percentage chances in the first 45 minutes. The soccer we played in the 55-60 minute range was very good, and as we mature and begin to take advantage of these opportunities, that is when we will have the chance to go from a good team to a great team. I am confident it will happen as the competitive character and quality on this team is very high."

I am confident that there were almost identical comments about the 2018 team right up until they finished in seventh place. The CAA preseason poll had UNCW at eighth in a ten team league with Charleston in fourth. NCAA caliber ... not hardly.

We plan on attending the match with Southern. They are 0-1 after a 4-1 loss at McNeese on Friday.
BigJack85
76. You seem to have some real knowledge of the "beautiful game". I did learn a lot while living in Germany as a middle schooler. Admittedly I'm no expert but my sense is that he has developed some good attacking players. The transition in the midfield is lacking. In the two games I attended last year I noticed some real skill gaps at right back. And in the attack they seemed very right wing orientated. Could be just the two games I caught last year. In years past they seemed to use all angles to stretch the opponent.
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

Another "We Don't Want to Hurt Your Feelings By Actually Giving the Score" headline. Geezzz.
SFAJack_76
In the weekly coaches press conference, Crittenden said there is fencing going up at the soccer field, and they are looking at renting grandstands so they can ticket. I suppose this is a way to work around the floodplain issue. He does mention that SFA has a better field than most, and the players really appreciate it after being on the road.
SFAJack_76
Ladyjacks completely dominating the first half. Up 5-0 at halftime.

We chose to go to the Lufkin/Longview game.
SFAJack_76
Final 6-0. Dominated a bad team, which is what they should do. Next up in one week at home is UT.
BigJack85
Let's at least hang with UT. Please.
SFAJack_76
BigJack85 said:

Let's at least hang with UT. Please.
Hopeful we will. UT is 1-1 after beating Gonzaga 4-3 at home losing 3-0 at Denver. They play Colorado tomorrow.
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
From the opponent. "the Nac"

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.