2018 Ladyjacks Soccer

36,728 Views | 143 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Pilotgirl
SFAJack_76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
September 2, at UT.

SFAJack_76
Some talent coming in.

SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic

I find it rather strange that a big school with deep pockets like Mississippi State can bring a full soccer team to Nacogdoches but they and schools like them can't seem to bring a men's basketball team to Nacogdoches.

Must be the lack of an adequate airport, right? Yeah, that's the ticket....
SFAXE93
Basketball
Soccer
Football

We sure like playing Mississippi State.
"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
SFAXE93
First game of the season is almost here (Aug. 17) against LSU-Shreveport.

Pretty young team for the Ladyjacks with 7 freshmen and 8 sophomores with only 1 senior.

GK: #36 Allyson Smith (Jr.) GP:28; GS:20 All-SLC (HM)
F: #76 Breanna Moore (Sr.) GP:58; GS:51; All-SLC (1st Team) 2016
F: #21 Katie Jennings (Jr.) GP:39; GS:13
F: #5 Sabrina Segovia (So.) GP:19
D: #20 Carli Arthurs (Jr.) GP:39; GS:39
D: #19 Tyler Johnson (Jr.) GP:25; GS:14
D: #22 Mari Gillespie (Jr.) GP:38; GS:38
M: #16 Sophia Fondren (So.) GP:21; GS:21; All-SLC (HM)
M: #12 Katelyn Termini (So.) GP:21; GS:16; All-SLC (HM)
M: #7 Caylon McMillan (So.) GP:21; GS:12

GK: #1 Madeline Talbot (So.) GP:6;GS:4
D: #2 Lauren Prentice (So.) GP:17
D: #24 Katherine Shoffner (So.) GP:3
M: #8 Destiny Davis (So.) GP:6
F: #9 Elise Davis (So.) GP:2

D: #17 Kim Campos (Jr.) JUCO
GK: #6 Makenzie Covington (Fr.)
D: #3 Paige Kanipes (Fr.)
M: #11 Ryka Shea (Fr.)
F: #18 Camryn Romero (Fr.)
F: #10 Kenady Carlile (Fr.)
F: #4 Mattie Musser (Fr.)
F: #23 Teia Haynes (Fr.)

SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic
In announcing the promotion of Dan Bassett to Assistant Head Coach, Coach Crittenden stated "As we return more defensive experience over the next several seasons than we have had since 2014, there is no doubt that our defensive unit will be a core pillar of our team identity."

Sounds like he sees a great season ahead! Axe 'em!
SFAJack_76
edstile said:

In announcing the promotion of Dan Bassett to Assistant Head Coach, Coach Crittenden stated "As we return more defensive experience over the next several seasons than we have had since 2014, there is no doubt that our defensive unit will be a core pillar of our team identity."

Curious as to where the goals are going to come from. Goals per game last season of 1.57 was way off from the 2.33 in 2016. Goals allowed per game was almost identical over the two years at 1.10 and 1.11.

Part of the frustration/intrigue in soccer is that a team can dominate and lose 1-0 because of one break down or lucky bounce. Goals scored was the difference between a 13-5 record in 2016 and 12-8-1 in 2017.

Tournament failures are well documented. Our final game score the last four seasons has been 0-0 (lost shootout for championship), 0-2, 0-1, 0-2, and 0-1. We won the 2012 tournament 2-1. You must score to win.
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

edstile said:

Curious as to where the goals are going to come from. Goals per game last season of 1.57 was way off from the 2.33 in 2016. Goals allowed per game was almost identical over the two years at 1.10 and 1.11.

Part of the frustration/intrigue in soccer is that a team can dominate and lose 1-0 because of one break down or lucky bounce. Goals scored was the difference between a 13-5 record in 2016 and 12-8-1 in 2017.

Tournament failures are well documented. Our final game score the last four seasons has been 0-0 (lost shootout for championship), 0-2, 0-1, 0-2, and 0-1. We won the 2012 tournament 2-1. You must score to win.

Excellent observations!!!
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAJack_76
Since Crittenden got to SFA in 2013, this makes it his fastest team.

SFAJack_76
Purple - White game ended 1-0. The question about where goals will come from remains valid.

Exhibition games at home Friday against ULM and at UH on Sunday.
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
4-0 exhibition win over ULM. That's more like it!

This could be a fun team. Only one senior.

Edit: ULM is picked to finish last in the 11 team Sun Belt Conference. So, not sure what this result tells us. Still like it though.
SFAXE93

Ladyjacks just beat Houston 2-0 tonight.

Houston picked #7 out of 10 teams for 2018 in the American Conference.
SFAJack_76
SFAXE93 said:

Ladyjacks just beat Houston 2-0 tonight.

Houston picked #7 out of 10 teams for 2018 in the American Conference.
Coach is pumped. So am I. Home opener Friday against LSU-Shreveport.

Mississippi State comes to Nacogdoches on Sunday. They were 9-5-4 in 2017.

SFA Jack Fanatic
Ladyjacks start the season with a 1-0 win over LSU-Shreveport. It's their first season-opening win since 2014.
SFAJack_76
edstile said:

Ladyjacks start the season with a 1-0 win over LSU-Shreveport. It's their first season-opening win since 2014.
Nice to start the season with a win, but this one should not have been close. Out shot them 23-3. Just could not finish. Perhaps a little looking forward to Mississippi State on Sunday?
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

edstile said:

Nice to start the season with a win, but this one should not have been close. Out shot them 23-3. Just could not finish. Perhaps a little looking forward to Mississippi State on Sunday?
Exactly. I watched some of it on Facebook Live and SFA controlled the ball throughout, but as you say, they couldn't put the ball in the net. A bit troubling offensively, but we'll see....

EDIT: In his post-game comments and as expected, Coach Crittenden was not happy with the performance. LSU-S did not play to win, they played not to lose. That type of defense will always be hard to score against, even against a lesser opponent. Mississippi State will not play that way.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Ladyjacks go down to Mississippi State 3-0.
TallTexan
edstile said:

Now the Football team must avenge two losses.
SFAXE93
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAXE93 said:

Can't get any more emphatic than that!
SFAJack_76
edstile said:

Sometimes in soccer the score is not representative of the game. 3-0 is a beat down in soccer, and so was this game. Outshot 20-9 and 11-1 on goal. 9-2 on corner kicks.

MSU was faster than our "fastest team since 2013." They were stronger, quicker to the ball, spaced better, and (my opinion) better coached. Our set piece defense was bad. MSU communication on the pitch was much better. I heard very little communication from SFA players.

We went to the match looking forward to seeing a good team. I thought it was going to be SFA. Mississippi State is good. I don't believe they are nearly as good as we made them look. Our next three are on the road. TCU and Texas Southern are winnable and will tell us more about this team. UT could be ugly. Not back home until September 7 against Southern Mississippi.
SFAJack_76
Gotta love coach speak. It was a good crowd announced at 460. The kids did put out good effort.

Don't know what the tough breaks were. We had three very good scoring chances. One free kick off the far post. One free kick off the cross bar. Two point blank shots off a corner kick. One right at the keeper. The rebound right at a defender. I would not call any of those tough breaks.

Catching a home match for the first time in a couple of years, I was reminded how pitiful the soccer facility is. Not the pitch. It is really good after being rebuilt three or so years ago. Off the field, it is mid to low level high school worthy. Lufkin High has a much nicer facility.

BigJack85
Agreed. Our facility is weak........ I've made it my mission to someday have enough $$$ to build an appropriate stadium. My guess is that it can be done for $750,000 - $1,250,000. Between Baseball and Soccer we are really behind.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

Gotta love coach speak. It was a good crowd announced at 460. The kids did put out good effort.

Yea, Crittenden sugar-coated it pretty good.
SFAJack_76
BigJack85 said:

Agreed. Our facility is weak........ I've made it my mission to someday have enough $$$ to build an appropriate stadium. My guess is that it can be done for $750,000 - $1,250,000. Between Baseball and Soccer we are really behind.
And softball.
SFAJack_76
TCU 1-0 one minute into the match. Ugly start.
nacluth
Wow TCU just blew a PK. On Fox Southwest for those interested.
nacluth
SFA hangs on to keep it 1-0 TCU after the first half, but we are completely outmatched in the midfield. Our transition passing has been trash. Our back line is playing pretty tough, but they were getting tired. No touches in the TCU box. Hard to win that way.

Second half needs a boost.
SFAJack_76
nacluth said:

SFA hangs on to keep it 1-0 TCU after the first half, but we are completely outmatched in the midfield. Our transition passing has been trash. Our back line is playing pretty tough, but they were getting tired. No touches in the TCU box. Hard to win that way.

Second half needs a boost.
Almost identical to what I saw on Sunday against Mississippi State. Set piece defense is better.
nacluth
Two more goals for TCU. Just terrible collapse of our midfielders. So many balls just handed to TCU. Shots with 30 minutes left 23-3.
nacluth
Downed 4-0 by TCU. Not much to say except we learned what it's like to weather an onslaught of offense pretty well. I'm not super familiar with all our players but our left defender was our MVP. She was solid all night. They kept referring to her as Breanna Moore but the roster says she's a forward, so I'm not sure who's right.

No midfield control. Finally pushed the ball up several times near the end (no shots though) by committing to long runs. Passing game was not there. Hope to rebound against Texas Southern.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.