2018 Ladyjacks Soccer

37,232 Views | 143 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Pilotgirl
SFAJack_76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Total domination by TCU. Shots about 34-4. Corner kicks about 10-0. I thought the TCU announcers were kind.
TCU is good. Definitely better than Mississippi State.The game at TSU is big for this team. If they lose there, I am not sure how they recover. Next game after TSU is in Austin against a team that tied #4 UNC on the road last night.

I believe our recruiting has to change. Lamar with their new coach has gone international. TCU and Mississippi State both recruit internationally. SFA used to. The 2018 freshmen are Crittenden's sixth recruiting class. In those six, there has been one (1) player from outside Texas, and Shreveport is only 90 minutes away. I don't know if he has chosen to only recruit Texas or if he was directed to. If women's soccer is going to be a competitive part of the best mid-major program in the country, recruiting must be broadened at least nationally, and probably internationally. And of course, facilities must be improved.

Disappointing start to the season. Not surprised to be 1-2, but the way it has been done is concerning.

nacluth
We'll see if we can get back on track against Texas Southern tonight. Obviously McNeese put down the claim as top dog when they took down Arkansas this week.
BigJack85
Haven't seen a score for Texas Southern??
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
cboothe09
We won 2-0
nacluth
Lots of good pressure but our finishes weren't the best. Don't get me wrong, solid game with a couple near misses from being a blowout. Great win Jacks!
SFAJack_76
Today at UT at 5:00 PM on LHN.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

OK, TallTexan. Let's see where your loyalties really lie! You can't ride the fence on this one.
SFAXE93
Texas 4-0-1

W: 3-0 Texas A&M CC
W: 3-0 @Rice
T: 1-1 @#4 North Carolina
W: 2-1 #23 Central Florida
W: 2-1 RV Long Beach State

This is probably not going to be pretty, but purple and white all the way for me (and my family is 3 generations Longhorns dating back to the 1930s)
"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
TallTexan
edstile said:

SFAJack_76 said:

OK, TallTexan. Let's see where your loyalties really lie! You can't ride the fence on this one.

I always pull for SFA first.

The favored child of Texas has plenty of fans & plenty of money to wipe their tears with. I bleed purple always.
SFAJack_76
UT 5-0. Shots 25-2. Technically, the Ladyjacks were better than against either Mississippi State or TCU. Spacing was better. More passes made with intent rather than kick and chase. We don't have the talent to match up with those teams.

Final non-conference game against 4-1 Southern Miss at home on Friday. One of their wins was 7-0 over the same Texas Southern we beat 2-0. This one will be a real measure of our team.

I hope I am bad wrong, but this could be a humbling season. I don't see where the goals are going to come from and I have not been very impressed with our play in goal.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Ladyjacks fall to UT 5-0.

Our soccer, volleyball, and football teams have all been taking classes in the school of Hard Knocks this week.
nacluth
Couldn't watch, but kept checking the balance sheet. It will be interesting to see how we fare against what seems to be a strengthening Southland.
SFAXE93
I was debating whether or not to actually go to the game as I live in the suburbs of Austin in Leander about 17 Miles from the UT campus. But I avoid Austin like the plague and I listened to the voice of reason.
"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
nacluth
Pretty slow game against So. Miss so far at the half. Only 1 shot on goal by both teams combined.
SFAJack_76
nacluth said:

Pretty slow game against So. Miss so far at the half. Only 1 shot on goal by both teams combined.
Called in the 47th minute for lightning and soaked field. 0-0 final. SFA with zero shots on goal.
SFAJack_76
Take down the Demons 1-0 in Natchitoches to start conference. Good win.
nacluth
Nice win to start with. Get some more games under our legs and see if we can really gel as the season goes.
SFAJack_76
Just looked at the box score for the NSU game. We were outshot 18-4 including 7-1 on goal. Not seeing the match, I can't comment on the quality of their shots or the difficulty of SFA 7 saves. Based solely on the numbers, we were very fortunate to leave with a win.

Road games coming up Friday at HBU and Sunday at A&M Corpus. We will have to generate offense from somewhere to win either match. It appears our strategy is to shut out the other team and hope for one or two break away scoring opportunities. Worked last night. I don't think that will win conference.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

Just looked at the box score for the NSU game. We were outshot 18-4 including 7-1 on goal. Not seeing the match, I can't comment on the quality of their shots or the difficulty of SFA 7 saves. Based solely on the numbers, we were very fortunate to leave with a win.

Road games coming up Friday at HBU and Sunday at A&M Corpus. We will have to generate offense from somewhere to win either match. It appears our strategy is to shut out the other team and hope for one or two break away scoring opportunities. Worked last night. I don't think that will win conference.
Agreed. Looks like the Ladyjacks have a very good defense and a struggling offense. Perhaps youth and inexperience are playing a part?? They've only scored four goals in seven games (including the partially-played canceled game with Southern Miss). In their defense, they've played some very good teams. NSU came into the game leading the nation in scoring, but three of their high-scoring games were against very weak SWAC teams.
SFAJack_76
edstile said:

SFAJack_76 said:

Agreed. Looks like the Ladyjacks have a very good defense and a struggling offense. Perhaps youth and inexperience are playing a part?? They've only scored four goals in seven games (including the partially-played canceled game with Southern Miss). In their defense, they've played some very good teams. NSU came into the game leading the nation in scoring, but three of their high-scoring games were against very weak SWAC teams.
From my July 30, post:

"Curious as to where the goals are going to come from. Goals per game last season of 1.57 was way off from the 2.33 in 2016. Goals allowed per game was almost identical over the two years at 1.10 and 1.11."

We have played some good teams. UT is top 15. Both Miss. State and TCU have received votes for the top 25, although both lost their most recent matches to top 20 teams by 3-0 scores. With only one senior, we are young. We have had young players in the past that were goal scoring threats. I have yet to see that from anyone on this team.

SFAJack_76
Ladyjacks with an RPI of 77. Best in the SLC followed by UCA, HBU, and Lamar. Our three losses are to #2 MSU, #9 TCU, and #16 UT.

Big road match Friday at HBU. A draw, or better, there and a win at a not very good A&M-Corpus on Sunday would be a good start to conference play.
BigJack85
As usual. HBU playing way above there level and handing it to us.
SFAJack_76
BigJack85 said:

As usual. HBU playing way above there level and handing it to us.
I don't think it is so much that HBU is playing above their level as it is that this is not a very good Ladyjack team. Down 3-0 with 30 minutes to go. Outshot 17-7. 7-3 on goal. The win at NSU was very fortunate after getting outshot 18-4.

The Sunday match in Corpus is a big one. This is not a win the conference but lose the tournament kind of year. Hope, hope, hope I am wrong, but this team may be challenged to make the tournament.
SFAJack_76
3-0 final. Outshot 25-9. 8-3 on goal.
SFAJack_76
"Ladyjacks Tally Nine Shots in 3-0 Defeat at Houston Baptist"

SFA media seeking some positive to headline. The 9 shots was only 16 less than HBU had.

Edit: Headline got changed to:

"Inspired Huskies too much to Overcome for Ladyjacks in 3-0 Defeat"

BigJack85
That's a real disaster. I'm sure the weather and field had something to do with it.

I believe the girls are in deep need of a real facility. They need that to draw better players and crowds.
SFAJack_76
BigJack85 said:

That's a real disaster. I'm sure the weather and field had something to do with it.

I believe the girls are in deep need of a real facility. They need that to draw better players and crowds.
Absolutely agree that facilities need improvement, although the pitch (field) is very good. Attendance at home is already better than all other SLC teams. Improved facilities will help.

Recruiting is key. I don't know how much influence facilities has at this level in women's soccer. As I mentioned in an earlier post, recruiting must be expanded outside Texas. HBU has four non-Texans on their roster.

Now 3-4 on the year having scored a paltry four goals in seven matches. And, two of those came against winless Texas Southern.
SFAJack_76
After two ten minute overtime periods, the Ladyjacks draw with RPI 236 A&M Corpus with a score of .... 0-0.

As I understand it, you can't win if you can't score. SFA can not score. Four goals in eight matches, not including the 0-0 weather shortened match with Southern Mississippi.
nacluth
It's been rough so far this year on offense. Got to start getting shots on goal.
Pilotgirl
Wow. Gotta make some goals!
SFAJack_76
nacluth said:

It's been rough so far this year on offense. Got to start getting shots on goal.
Absolutely! Today, 24 shots with only 6 being on goal. For the last ten years or so, this team has always had one or more girls you could count on to finish. No one on this year's team has shown that ability. Coaching scheme is part of it, but that has not changed.

A&M Corpus only had eight shots, but three were on goal.
nacluth
Went by the game tonight on my run. Tied with 11 minutes left. Now in 2OT showing on ESPN+.
SFAJack_76
Ended in a 1-1 tie with McNeese. Ladyjacks scored in the first half. Came out in the second half playing to win 1-0, or at least it looked that way with McNeese dominating play before scoring. Ladyjacks became much more aggressive after that with a couple of very good scoring chances. After two scoreless OT periods Ladyjacks were outshot 15-7 (7-3 on goal.)

Next up is 6-3-1 (2-0-1 in conference) Lamar at 1:00 on Sunday.
SFAJack_76
Absolute heartbreaker as the Ladyjacks lose 3-2 to Lamar on a goal with one second left in the second, and final, overtime period. By far, the best the Ladyjacks have played all season.
BigJack85
Lots of freshman and sophomores on this team. They'll be good next year. Really good.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.