2018 Ladyjacks Soccer

37,260 Views | 143 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Pilotgirl
SFAJack_76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BigJack85 said:

Lots of freshman and sophomores on this team. They'll be good next year. Really good.
There is only one senior on the team. Not sure what happened to the freshman class from three years ago. There are seven juniors and nine sophomores on the roster. Three of those have taken redshirt years. The issues have not been just because they are young, nor does that guarantee they will be really good next year. The seven member freshman class is pretty normal.

They have played their best soccer of the season the last two matches. Crittenden commented that changes had to be made and he moved to a base 4-3-3 formation for McNeese. The team has been much more aggressive with improved spacing since that change. Cudos to coach for recognizing they had to change and made it work.

I do believe they will be good next year. I have not seen enough to convince me they will be really good. I certainly hope they will be.
BigJack85
I need to see them in person. I'm no expert but learned to play in Germany... they take structure especially seriously. Formationally a 4-3-3 makes sense with younger squad. I really haven't seen scoring prowess since Zuri Prince played for them a couple years ago. We need someone that can roam the mid-field control pace and occasionally be a real threat in the box.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAJack_76
BigJack85 said:

I need to see them in person. I'm no expert but learned to play in Germany... they take structure especially seriously. Formationally a 4-3-3 makes sense with younger squad. I really haven't seen scoring prowess since Zuri Prince played for them a couple years ago. We need someone that can roam the mid-field control pace and occasionally be a real threat in the box.
Zuri Prince and Chelsea Raymond. Chelsea could fly. Dunnigan sisters in the back and Glick in goal. Just part of what was a really good team.
SFAJack_76
1-3-2 in conference after a 2-0 loss to UCA. Tied for eighth, and the final tournament spot, with Sam. On the road for the next two with mid-pack SLU and last place Nicholls.
nacluth
Watched the first half which was mildly soul crushing. Decided to go for a run with my brother and came back by the field with 8:00 left just in time to see them score their second goal against us. We have a weak midfield when it comes to transition. It's almost like we're so defensive minded that we don't know what to do with it when we actually get the ball. I'm at a low with this season. I hope something can turn around.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
SFAJack_76
On track for arguably the worst season in SFA soccer history which started in 1995. Since conference play began in 1997, the Ladyjacks have had exactly one (1) losing conference season (2000).

Crittenden is in year six as head coach. The best two years were the first two, when he had his predecessor's recruits. Amato had three really good years at SFA and left the program in good shape when he left for Arizona, where he has had good success. I have commented before that it starts with recruiting. I am not advocating a coaching change, but I would expect that Ivey's performance review with Crittenden would be a bit uncomfortable.

I never expected to be concerned about this team not making the SLC tournament, but that is a very painful possibility.
BigJack85
I think Crittenden is fine. It would be nice if we got him some kind of a team hut or gathering place for his team. The facilities aren't bad only because they are NON EXISTENT. He needs more than just a field. I'm not talking about hundreds of thousands of dollars. For indeed $100,000 we could build a modest field house for the girls.
SFAJack_76
This was a plan that like so many others never gained much traction. Although I can't find it, I am certain the $50,000 for the locker room was raised and spent.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/sasu/sports/w-soccer/auto_pdf/2012-13/misc_non_event/Capital_Enhancement_Campaign.pdf
BigJack85
Yep. Just not enough money to go around.
tangerito
The biggest problem is where the current field sits. Its in a flood plan and the city says we cannot build any permanent structures in a flood plan.
SFAJack_76
tangerito said:

The biggest problem is where the current field sits. Its in a flood plan and the city says we cannot build any permanent structures in a flood plan.
Interesting. I had not heard that. The overall facilities improvement plan should be interesting since you are saying nothing can be done in that area.
nacluth
This has been the excuse for years now. I think there are plenty that know they could build up by Wilson Drive an elevated field house, but it would cut into the intramural fields as they stand now. I think it's more of questioning the return of investment rather than any actual environmental issues.
BigJack85
I for one would like to see Dorm 14 16 and East College Cafeteria demolished and used for new soccer or baseball field. Put a new Dorm in back of Lumberjack Landing.
nacluth
I like this idea for the most part. I have seen some nice dual purpose (baseball/soccer) stadiums and they work ok. Soccer really packs the ground hard over time, but I know there's a turf management class at SFA. Maybe they could practice keeping the fields up. Also since one is a fall sport, the other spring, a dual purpose field house wouldn't be bad for in season use. I like the idea of the back of a stadium at Wilson and College Street. It would make a nice feel pulling into campus from that side. Finding housing and parking for all the offset students is probably the much harder problem.
TallTexan
We need to replace East Cafe and 14/16, but would it be possible to stick a baseball field/soccer field in Steen's footprint? With the parking lots, I think there'd be plenty of room. Or ditch the ag pond too.

What's the possibility of shared football/soccer fields?
SFAJack_76
1-1 draw at SLU for a much needed point. Ladyjacks are in tenth place, two points out of eighth. They have a must win at last place Nicholls on Sunday. Couple that with a home win against ninth place UIW on October 19, gives them a reasonable chance of makng the SLC tournament. The final two matches are at home against ACU and Sam.

(For those that don't follow soccer, you get three points for a win and one point for a draw.)
BigJack85
Lost to Nicholls.... whoa. What's happened to the Ladyjacks this year. Probably missing the tournament. Almost for sure. Can't score can't win. Problems continue.
SFAJack_76
Outshot last place Nicholls 22-2, 8-2 on goal.

Lost 2-0.

Most extraordinary stat line I have ever seen.

In tenth place of twelve that play soccer.
BigJack85
Agreed. Something is amiss.... this is only a slight aberration. I'd have to go back and review all games but this is one of a number of conference games we have out shot the opponent (significantly) only to lose.
SFAJack_76
As tough a season as it has been, Ladyjacks are only two points behind A&M-Corpus and Sam which are tied for seventh. Our last three matches are at home against UIW, ACU, and Sam. The points are available but somebody has to put the ball in the back of the net which has only happened eight times in thirteen matches.
SfaFan15
I think I saw it mentioned somewhere, but it seems like it would be easier to fundraise if the soccer and track&field complexes were combined. Get two for the price of one. I always thought the current site of the soccer field would be a perfect spot too, but I guess that may not be possible with the flood plain issue.
nacluth
Finally ahead for once. 1-0 against UIW. 27th minute.
nacluth
Breanna Moore got her first goal of the season. 2-0 36th minute.
nacluth
Ladies hold on to those three points with a 2-1 win!

Moved into at least eighth with the win. Maybe 7th depending on the Sam result. Edit: 7th now that Sam loss. We hold a one point advantage on Sam & AMCC.
nacluth
Anyone know where they played tonight. I ran by the field but no one was there. I assume it was moved because of all the rain.
SFAJack_76
Tied for 7th with NSU. One point ahead of each Sam and A&M-Corpus. Tough match on Sunday at home against ACU.

Perhaps the ladies are good playing on the turf at Nacogdoches High.
SFAJack_76
nacluth said:

Anyone know where they played tonight. I ran by the field but no one was there. I assume it was moved because of all the rain.
Nacogdoches High. SFA field unplayable. The match on Sunday will also be at the high school.
nacluth
Scoreless through the first half. A defensive game so far.
nacluth
Going into OT with ACU. A win in OT would move us to tie for 6th.
nacluth
Lost in the second OT.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Lost in the second OT.

I think you jinxed us.
nacluth
Sounds about right...
SFAJack_76
In ninth place with one match left. One point behind UIW and three points behind NSU for the last tournament slot. SFA has the tie breaker with both due to those being our two conference wins. UIW finishes with a tough match at ACU, while NSU goes to conference champion UCA. One point today would have been big, but now it comes down to needing help and taking care of business.

Really disappointing season.
SFAJack_76
Halftime 4-0 good guys. Sam does not look good, but Ladyjacks are playing their best ball of the season.

Play like this and a tournament run is possible. (If they get there.)
SFAJack_76
They got there!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.