2018 Volleyball

93,682 Views | 396 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SFAJack_76
Pilotgirl
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Jacks4460 said:

No clue..Sounds like they don't..

That's ridiculous if it is the case...
SFAJack_76
Almost certain the university does buy the rings. This appears to be a new way of raising funds through the use of crowdfunding. It is being run by the Office of Development.

Jacks4460
SFAJack_76 said:

Almost certain the university does buy the rings. This appears to be a new way of raising funds through the use of crowdfunding. It is being run by the Office of Development.

It sounds like a good way to raise funds... If you don't ask you don't get...
Pilotgirl
I guess im just confused is all... asked for some clarification on twitter. I just like some transparency
SFA Jack Fanatic
Pilotgirl said:

I guess im just confused is all... asked for some clarification on twitter. I just like some transparency
I'm confused, too. So, the university buys the rings -- using money from a fundraiser??? That sounds like something a high school would do. Someone tell me I've misunderstood.
Pilotgirl
Pilotgirl
edstile said:

Pilotgirl said:

I'm confused, too. So, the university buys the rings -- using money from a fundraiser??? That sounds like something a high school would do. Someone tell me I've misunderstood.

You did not misunderstand. This is a travesty, IMO.
Jacks4460
Pilotgirl said:

edstile said:

Pilotgirl said:

You did not misunderstand. This is a travesty, IMO.

If you think our Ath Dept rakes in the money you are mistaken.. This is just a way to help raise money to buy the ladies rings... If you can't or do not want to donate to the cause then just don't.. but calling them high school isn't right...I see now what the last Ath Department came up against when it comes to raising funds... People were getting mad at them when they asked for funds so they stopped asking... This is just another way of fundraising... Maybe it is to make the ladies rings a little nicer than what was planned.. Far far from a travesty..
cboothe09
It's all a part of the players maintaining their "Amateur" status. If the school provides out of budget, it could be considered a form of compensation.
NCAA...Gotta love it
nacluth
cboothe09 said:

It's all a part of the players maintaining their "Amateur" status. If the school provides out of budget, it could be considered a form of compensation.
NCAA...Gotta love it
Exactly right. A loophole for rings though as well as a certain few gifts.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
Pilotgirl
Pilotgirl
just can't believe it isnt somewhere in the budget for these Ladies to earn their hard fought Bling! Just surprised & wanted to share bc I was confused about purpose is all. Didn't call them high school I was there supporting them last night)....So please do not get snippy with me sir. I just wanted to share the info & let others know! My daughter is actually more horrified than me (about rings)...she had a few choice words that cannot be repeated here Lol
SFAJack_76
Meanwhile, great to see our Ladyjacks on this list.

Pilotgirl
SFAJack_76 said:

AMAZING
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

Some good company there.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Pilotgirl said:

just can't believe it isnt somewhere in the budget for these Ladies to earn their hard fought Bling! Just surprised & wanted to share bc I was confused about purpose is all. Didn't call them high school I was there supporting them last night)....So please do not get snippy with me sir. I just wanted to share the info & let others know! My daughter is actually more horrified than me (about rings)...she had a few choice words that cannot be repeated here Lol
I think he was referring to my high school comment, not to anything you said, Pilot.

If it would be a violation of NCAA rules for the school to buy them, then it makes sense. But if it's simply "not in their budget", then as someone who oversaw a $10,000,000 budget in my earlier days, I don't understand why their budget can't be adjusted as needed. It's a common practice in business. Move funds from one part of the budget to another. We did it all the time. The bottom line remains the same, and that's all that matters. Perhaps public institutions are not allowed to do that??
TallTexan
nacluth said:

cboothe09 said:

NCAA...Gotta love it
Exactly right. A loophole for rings though as well as a certain few gifts.
There definitely should be a championship ring loophole or if the conference gave them a budget, like 200 per.

But if we're waiting for the NCAA to be sane, we're going to be waiting a long, long time.
SFAJack_76
What I have found as to what is permissible.

"16.1.4.2 Awards for Winning Conference and National Championships. [A] Awards for winning an individual or team conference or national championship may be presented each year, limited in value and number as specified in Figure 16-2. Awards for winning a conference or national championship in a team sport may be provided only to student- athletes who were eligible to participate in the championship event. The total value of any single award received for a national championship may not exceed $415. The total value of any single award received for a conference championship may not exceed $325, and each permissible awarding agency is subject to a separate $325 limit per award. Each permissible awarding agency may provide only a single award for each championship to each student-athlete. Separate awards may be presented to both the regular-season conference champion and the postseason conference champion (with a separate $325 limitation), but if the same institution wins both the regular-season and postseason conference championship, the combined value of both awards shall not exceed $325. [R] (Revised: 4/25/02 effective 8/1/02, 8/7/14)"

If I am interpreting this correctly, the issue is not ncaa regulations, but rather an athletic department that does not have the funds for these awards. The lack of fund raising, and the students voting down the athletic fee create this situation. Current reality.

Edit: This is cited from the 2018-2019 NCAA Division 1 Manual. https://web3.ncaa.org/lsdbi/reports/getReport/90008
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

"16.1.4.2 Awards for Winning Conference and National Championships.

If I am interpreting this correctly, the issue is not ncaa regulations, but rather an athletic department that does not have the funds for these awards. The lack of fund raising, and the students voting down the athletic fee create this situation. Current reality.

Edit: This is cited from the 2018-2019 NCAA Division 1 Manual. https://web3.ncaa.org/lsdbi/reports/getReport/90008
Great research, 76.

Jacks4460
edstile said:

SFAJack_76 said:

Great research, 76.

Awsome job 76... You are spot on... SFA alumni have to change their way of $upporting if they want to attract the top student/Ath. Not having the ath fee puts us at a disadvantage with other Universities. So the Ath dept has to start thinking out of the box on how to raise funds to pay for the extra things the student/ath deserves.. Ryan and this department are gonna be hustlers and will try all different avenues to raise the capital needed...
BigJack85
I donated $50 to the cause. I'm sure it's money well spent. As a fan I'm not opposed to having some additional "skin in the game". Frankly if more of us (not the people on The Sawmill) had skin in the game we'd probably be better funded!!! It's all good in my mind.

Axe 'Em Jacks....
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
Jacks4460
BigJack85 said:

I donated $50 to the cause. I'm sure it's money well spent. As a fan I'm not opposed to having some additional "skin in the game". Frankly if more of us (not the people on The Sawmill) had skin in the game we'd probably be better funded!!! It's all good in my mind.

Axe 'Em Jacks....
I know they appreciate it BigJack...Even if it was $5-$10 a lot of those add up quickly...
PurpleForever
I've worked for other schools and spoken with many athletic departments about funding and we will NEVER be on par with other schools until we get an athletic fee. The amount of money that alone brings in can make a big impact.
TallTexan
Jacks4460 said:

edstile said:

SFAJack_76 said:

Great research, 76.

Awsome job 76... You are spot on... SFA alumni have to change their way of $upporting if they want to attract the top student/Ath. Not having the ath fee puts us at a disadvantage with other Universities. So the Ath dept has to start thinking out of the box on how to raise funds to pay for the extra things the student/ath deserves.. Ryan and this department are gonna be hustlers and will try all different avenues to raise the capital needed...
Agreed.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if it's some gamesmanship on Ivey's part. One of the main objections we've all heard from professors, community members, students, etc, is why would they pay for an Athletic Program that isn't winning?

This gives Ivey and co the ability to notify people that we won and cultivate new donors who were willing to help out.

I'll have to see if I can throw some money into the pot too, our girls deserve it.
Jacks4460
PurpleForever said:

I've worked for other schools and spoken with many athletic departments about funding and we will NEVER be on par with other schools until we get an athletic fee. The amount of money that alone brings in can make a big impact.
I was told if the athletic fee ever came into effect at our school then that would be a "major game changer" when it comes to having the proper training and studying facilities for our young student-athletes...
Pilotgirl
I will donate when i get a chance. Our Lady Jacks deserve our support in the stands and monetarily. #AxeEm
SFAJack_76
Pilotgirl said:

I will donate when i get a chance. Our Lady Jacks deserve our support in the stands and monetarily. #AxeEm
Pilotgirl, thanks for getting the clarification from Scott. I believe the conference could also make the championship award, so it must not be in the SLC budget either.
BigJack85
Yes. If a 100 people gave $20 we probably have it covered.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
djsfw57
Pilotgirl said:

Jacks4460 said:

https://graphite.sfasu.edu/impact-crowdfunding/

Go and help donate towards the purchase of the ladies CHAMPIONSHIP rings.. I am doing it in the morning..

Wait...the school/SLC doesn't buy the rings for them??
That was my first thought. If the school doesn't buy them, they should be embarrassed about it. That would be shameful. Hope they cover the rings. These young ladies definitely deserve a ring.

Edit: I just read the rest of the thread. So the NCAA isn't preventing this, funds are... If they buy rings for the entire team and coaching staff, that is less than $5000. I can't for the life of me get my mind wrapped around them not being able to find that much money for championship rings. That's not much money in an athletic budget.
SFAJack_76
Up two spots in RPI.

SFAJack_76
BigJack85 said:

Yes. If a 100 people gave $20 we probably have it covered.
Um, no. It would take 240 donations of $20 to cover the goal of $4,774. 96 at $50 will cover it.
SFAJack_76
UCA gets the consolation prize.

nacluth
Good for them.
Jacks4460
Looks like the Sawmillers have already bought a ring and are heading to #2... Thanks for the donations it is appreciated very much and plus the ladies deserve to have nice rings...
SFAJack_76
Jacks4460 said:

Looks like the Sawmillers have already bought a ring and are heading to #2... Thanks for the donations it is appreciated very much and plus the ladies deserve to have nice rings...
Yes sir! Great opportunity to show them our support.

https://graphite.sfasu.edu/impact-crowdfunding/project/3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.