2018 Volleyball

93,683 Views | 396 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SFAJack_76
BigJack85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Axe 'Em Jacks! Good win over Mississippi St.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAXE93
We own Miss State...in volleyball!
"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
SFAXE93
SLC play on the way, 4 straight home games, lets fill Shelton!
SFAJack_76
Getting some earned national recognition.

https://volleyballmag.com/mid-major-poll-091818/
SFAXE93
Took care of UCA 3-0
SFAJack_76
SFAXE93 said:

Took care of UCA 3-0

26-24, 25-22, 27-25. Really good match. Great crowd.

NSU at home on Tuesday. Next victim.
nacluth
Killing it!
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
SFAJack_76
Announced attendance was 673. People were everywhere. I would like to see some court side seating on the side opposite the benches. Purple Haze was in force. Put them near the court and have some real fun.

Shelton is not particularly handicapped friendly. It was disappointing to see no chairs available for friends/family of a lady in a wheelchair that was at floor level. They either stood or sat on the floor. We can do better than that.
Pilotgirl
SFAJack_76 said:

Announced attendance was 673. People were everywhere. I would like to see some court side seating on the side opposite the benches. Purple Haze was in force. Put them near the court and have some real fun.

Shelton is not particularly handicapped friendly. It was disappointing to see no chairs available for friends/family of a lady in a wheelchair that was at floor level. They either stood or sat on the floor. We can do better than that.

And that is considered 'handicap accessible'? What a shame...We SHOULD do better!
SFAJack_76
Up to a tie for 22nd.

nacluth
Couldn't shake loose tonight to make the game, but watching now on ESPN+ and Shelton is packed! The audio is not great, but SFA looks like they are cruising to another 3 set sweep.
nacluth
Yep. Pull out the brooms. Another sweep for 12 in a row.
BigJack85
Wow. They are good. !!!
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAJack_76
We did make it to the match. 25-20, 25-19, 25-19. NSU has some talent, but not enough. They had 12 service errors to SFA 4. Killed them nearly every time they got a little momentum. Ladyjacks now 15-2 with a 12 match win streak.

Announced crowd of 703. More than Saturday due largely to five sororities being there in force.

Next up is 8-8 (1-1) HBU on Thursday.
Pilotgirl
Super impressed! I really want ro make a game but keep forgetting that I can watch on ESPN+....setting reminder NOW!
PurpleOut
Staff
Here's the schedule, plenty of remaining games to catch. I love that we've got another sport with a great atmosphere, but also that we seem committed to keep growing it (via social media at least).

https://sfajacks.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=228
SFAJack_76
A little national recognition.

nacluth
Anyone going to the game tonight? I plan on making it after my kids' open house.
nacluth
Started like a runaway match, but after being up by 7 in the third, HBU made some switch that let them take momentum. The commentators said they switched to freshmen, but whatever it was our ladies let that set fall. But, they regrouped to win a hard fought fourth. Nice win to get 13 in a row!
SFAJack_76
25-21, 25-13, 20-25, 27-25

Crazy match. Ladyjacks pull away late in the first set, dominate the second set, then go flat in the third set after starting with a big lead. Fell behind and trailed most of the fourth set. HBU was up 24-21 when the Ladyjacks ran off three points to stave off three set points. HBU scored to have another set point at 25-24. Ladyjacks score three straight to win the match.

HBU gets credit for playing well from about the middle of the third set through most of the fourth. My view is that it was more about us going flat. Serve receipt was not good. Passing and sets were not good. This team does generally play really good when pressured as they showed at the end of the fourth set.

Good crowd, but short of the previous two matches at 483. As you can imagine, it got really, really loud at the end of the fourth set.

Saturday at 1:00 PM against A&M-Corpus before playing the next four on the road.
SFAJack_76
I enjoy Humphreys' comments because she is always honest ... no "coach speak" from her. Also, I don't know 1% about volleyball of what she knows so it is interesting to see how my observations compare. All Ivey needs to do with volleyball is to support Humphreys in whatever she wants to make the program better.

SFA head coach Debbie Humphreys on the turning point in the third set | "We executed very well for the first half of the third set and then we just suffered from a lack of discipline. We made a number of uncharacteristic errors and all of those came back and bit us. Then Houston Baptist started playing out of their minds, we stared playing tight and it was just a domino effect. But again, fortunately, in a tight set we found a way to win."
on the style of play necessary to win | "You can't play like you're holding onto something. You have to play like you have something to prove every single night. I think sometimes when you've had the success we've had to this point in the season and you do expect good things we have to remember that the only reason these good things are happening to us is when we just go attack people. We cannot become timid. We cannot become passive. Everybody we're going to play is a good solid team. We have to take care of our business to take our opponents out of what they want to do. We're all NCAA Division I volleyball teams."
on where Xariah Williams would be most effective | "The question was where did we need her? Did we need her more on the right, did we need her more on the left and clearly after the first few sets we needed her on the right. She came in, lit it up and fortunately we didn't have to make a decision of where to put her in the fifth set because there was no fifth set."
on the biggest lesson the team learned | "No matter what the score is, no matter who you're playing, there's a certain style of volleyball we have to stick with and we cannot let up on the discipline side of things."
nacluth
Agreed. She really has this team rolling on all cylinders. Keep it rolling! She's getting solid talent too to take it to the next level.

On a side note, I have a local friend whose daughter (now a junior in HS) has been recruited since she was a freshman by many colleges. Though she does camps and the SFA coaches all know and see her, they have been encouraging and let her know she has college talent, just not quite to SFA's high level. She ended up with a full ride at Belmont.
nacluth
Rocking game between two tough teams right now. Both teams game is on point.

Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
nacluth
Hanna just buried a girl for the set 1 winner!
nacluth
Second set not as tight with lots more errors, but Jacks surge late to win easily.
nacluth
Straight set dominance. The last set we broke their will. Great job Jacks!
SFAXE93
Wow, man have we've got some smackers up front!

14 straight!

SFA 17-2; 4-0

Taking this act on the road for 4 straight.
SFAJack_76
25-20, 25-18, 25-16

Hitting % of .300 was really good. The dominance was in blocks (11-2) and service aces (7-2.) A&M-Corpus really seemed demoralized from middle of the second set on.

The next four on the road with the toughest being the last one at UCA. Not back home until October 18.
Pilotgirl
Serving L's to Everybody...Love it!
SFAJack_76
Western Kentucky (12-6, 3-1) boasted a streak of 57 home Conference USA victories before losing to Rice (12-4, 3-0) 25-15, 24-26, 25-22, 25-21 Sunday afternoon.

Recall that the Ladyjacks beat Rice 3-1 in a really tight match earlier in the season at Shelton.
SFAJack_76
Very nice. Keep winning.

SFAJack_76
Link to the ncaa rpi. We will see how the rest of the season plays out, but this is a big deal.

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/volleyball-women/d1/ncaa-womens-volleyball-rpi
nacluth
Huge! Let's keep killing it Ladyjacks.
SFAJack_76
Up to #19 in the mid-major poll. SLU coach is a pollster. He will get to see the Ladyjacks in person on Thursday.

https://volleyballmag.com/mid-major-poll-100218/
SFAJack_76
Expected three set win at SLU. 25-13, 25-21, 25-14. Trailed 16-11 in the second set before regaining focus. Now 18-2, 5-0 in conference.

Next up is at NSU at 11:00 AM on Saturday.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.