2018 Volleyball

93,695 Views | 396 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SFAJack_76
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Gotcha. I guess I just felt like he's always been here lol.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Pilotgirl said:

Actually, more than one would think. And more are being added. So SFA is thinking of joining that list. So kudos for them!

https://www.ncsasports.org/beach-volleyball/colleges
I noticed that Austin Peay is on the list. I wonder if Ryan Ivey planted that idea in the minds of the BOR members...

And by the way, Pilotgirl, it's nice to get a female perspective on a lot of things. There are very few females, if any, ever commenting here. Refreshing! Keep it up! (But beware of TallTexan and Nacluth's posts. They're a couple of strange ones...)
Pilotgirl
Haha! Thanks! I don't scare away easily

I saw Austin Peay on the list and wondered the same thing...

Also, the Rec Center has a couple sand courts so already some spots for practice?
SFA Jack Fanatic
Pilotgirl said:

Also, the Rec Center has a couple sand courts so already some spots for practice?
I didn't know that. Never been in it. Living so far away, I'm not able to get to the campus very often, usually only for games.
Pilotgirl
It's a nice facility. Can't remember exactly when it was built but the current students really enjoy it. It wasn't there when I was an undergrad and then when I was doing my Masters and then post graduate studies...no time LOL. But it is a beautiful building. My daughter goes there for yoga during the semesters and takes advantage of the pool/lazy river.
TallTexan
edstile said:

Keep it up! (But beware of TallTexan and Nacluth's posts. They're a couple of strange ones...)

Hey now, thems are fighting words.
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

edstile said:

Keep it up! (But beware of TallTexan and Nacluth's posts. They're a couple of strange ones...)

Hey now, thems are fighting words.
Move back to the Texas from the Left Coast and I'll reconsider, Texan.
TallTexan
Technically I still live in Texas, we just work all over the country.

And we're in the NC mountains for the summer for work, with the amazing high temp of 85 degrees. Be jealous!
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

And we're in the NC mountains for the summer for work, with the amazing high temp of 85 degrees. Be jealous!
Close enough. Now, it's just that Nacluth fellow that we have to worry about.
nacluth
Ed "The Magnificent" Stile said:

Close enough. Now, it's just that Nacluth fellow that we have to give our money to.
Wow, thanks Ed. I accept all forms of payment. Of course, I'm always up for treating any Sawmiller to a Subway sandwich whenever they're in town.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
SFA Jack Fanatic
You're on, my friend. I'm going to make an effort to make more games this year, since I have season tickets. You can even bring your lovely bride and those three rugrats of yours along, too.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Hey! I just noticed that my post was edited without my consent! FAKE NEWS!!
SFAJack_76
edstile said:

BigJack85 said:

SFAJack 76, I read about it in the BOR meeting notes.... Here's the press release from SFASU news site. The comment on Sand Volleyball is about 1/2 way thru the article. Say's that they are aiming for a 2020 start .

http://www.sfasu.edu/10009.asp

Thanks for the link. It says that beach volleyball will make us competitive with our peer institutions. Just curious... What peer institutions?? UCLA and USC?? I'm totally clueless on this. What schools this side of the West Coast have beach volleyball teams? And I assume we would have to import players the way that the bowling team does, since I know of zero high schools in Texas that play beach volleyball, right? (Not that importing them is a bad thing... Just sayin'...)

And BTW, does anyone know what Demi Payne is doing these days? I hope she's still plying her vaulting trade. I'd love to see her in the 2020 Olympics.
This talks to what took Demi out of the pole vaulting picture for a bit.

https://www.mdanderson.org/publications/cancerwise/2018/01/leukemia-diagnosis-brings-survivor--daughter-closer-than-ever.html

I believe she is teaching pole vaulting and back to training now. I don't know if she has been in any meets this year.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

This talks to what took Demi out of the pole vaulting picture for a bit.

https://www.mdanderson.org/publications/cancerwise/2018/01/leukemia-diagnosis-brings-survivor--daughter-closer-than-ever.html

I believe she is teaching pole vaulting and back to training now. I don't know if she has been in any meets this year.
Great story. Shows Demi has her priorities straight. Now I really, really hope she can make the Olympic team. Thanks for sharing, 76.
SFAJack_76
Great way to keep up with/follow SFA and SLC volleyball.

BigJack85
This is great. Awesome and thanks.

Axe 'Em Jacks!
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
TallTexan
Following now. Thanks for sharing.
SFAJack_76
nacluth
At least there's one NWST believer out there. : D

Considering the quality of the young talent we had last year, I fully expect back to back championships.
SFAJack_76
Ladyjacks start the season with a 3-0 win over Memphis at Memphis. Two matches to come on Saturday against Arkansas State and Arkansas-Pine Bluff.
nacluth
Jacks dismantled Sunbelt champ Arkansas State 3-0 this morning. Let's hope they can sweep the tournament by taking down Arkansas- Pine Bluff this afternoon.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
SFAJack_76
Crushed A-PB 25-16, 25-13, and 25-9 to go 3-0 for the first time since 2013.
djsfw57
This is the first time in program history that the Ladyjacks have shut out their first 3 opponents. Hope this continues all the way through the Southland tournament.
SFA Jack Fanatic
I have GOT to get into town and watch these ladies at some point when they're at home. I admit that I have never watched an SFA volleyball game in person -- ever. This team is obviously going to be something special this year.
SFAXE93
"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
nacluth
Our second tournament starts today after sweeping the win last weekend. Our competition ups a little as we play Princeton today then Northwestern and Colgate tomorrow. Good luck ladies!
nacluth
Women fall 3-0 to Princeton today. Hopefully better luck tomorrow.
SFAXE93
Princeton showed why they are the defending Ivy League Champions.
"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
SFA Jack Fanatic
Ladyjacks hang tough with Northwestern of the Big Ten but lose 3-1. These games against outstanding opponents should really help prepare the ladies for conference play.
SFAJack_76
Ladyjacks beat Colgate 3-1.

After starting the season 4-2 on the road, they get the next six at home starting with ULM on Tuesday.
SFAJack_76

nacluth
Boom! Great job!
SFAJack_76
5-2 on the year with two matches each Friday and Saturday at home in the Fredonia Hotel/Holiday Inn Express SFA Invitational.
nacluth
It's good to know that we're a near lock for purple lights on Saturday!
SFAJack_76
Tennessee State and Grambling should be comfortable wins. 4-2 Stetson will be more of a challenge. 7-1 St. John's, with a number of international players, will be tough.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.