2018 Volleyball

93,632 Views | 396 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Up one spot in the mid-major poll.

RPI is up to 52.
nacluth
Dominant first set. Completely dismantled Sam in the second half of the set.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
nacluth
Another double digit set win. Jacks are a wall up front.
SFAJack_76
25-14 second set. Sam is shell shocked. Great crowd.
SFAJack_76
We are hitting .433 through the first two sets which is crazy good.
nacluth
There had to be close to 60 touches to get SFA to set point in set 3!
nacluth
Had their opportunities, but SFA played too loose and lost set 4 after two match point opportunities.
SFAJack_76
Hitting dropped to .204. Serve receive was the biggest issue.
nacluth
Credit Sam for stopping SFA on 6 match points to slow their inevitable defeat. But SFA takes set 4 over a scrappy team to extend to 23 wins in a row.
cboothe09
Watched the fourth set online. We were clearly better, but struggled closing them out. Credit Sam for not folding, but we were easily the better team
SFAJack_76
Two game in the loss column lead over UCA and Sam with three to go. ACU at home Saturday afternoon on senior day. The last two are on the road at SLU and Nicholls that have combined for two conference wins all season.

Feeling pretty good about our chances. Got to win the tournament. Ladyjacks are clearly the best team in the SLC, but on any given night ....
BigJack85
Good stuff. Great stuff. Awesome. I need to go to a match at Shelton.....
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAJack_76
nacluth said:

There had to be close to 60 touches to get SFA to set point in set 3!
Here it is. I might have missed some, but counted 57 touches. Incredible rally. Too bad we ended up losing the set.

nacluth
Wow! I counted 60 I think. It was a great point. So glad we're walking on with the win.
PurpleOut
Staff
The NCAA Volleyball account tweeted it back out as well.

SFAJack_76
Quality.

nacluth
Great day for a volleyball game! Especially to clinch the title.

Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
nacluth
First set 25-18! Solid play so far.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
nacluth
Debbie's hot after a terrible call that erased an ace and a violation on the same play at the end of set 2.
nacluth
Lost second set 25-23 after a spate of hitting errors let a 6 point advantage get squandered. Fought off two set points but couldn't tie it up on the third.
nacluth
Win set three 25-21 to go up 2-1! Hard fought match.
nacluth
Midway through the fourth there are 23.5 team blocks for the Jacks. That's setting the record for most blocks (all time!) in a game. Killing it.
nacluth
Destroyed ACU in the fourth 25-11. So many blocks and kills. Danae Daron had at least 13 blocks (double/double). Ann Hollis had her second 20-20 (digs/assists) in a row. Program record blocks 25.5, 4 players in double digits.
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

Program record blocks 25.5
That's got to be way up there nationally this year. What a display of defense, especially in that last set.
nacluth
Let's just say it again...Purple Lights! Purple lights for your back to back 2018 Southland Conference Champions!
djsfw57
This may be a dumb question, but how in the world do you have 1/2 a block?
nacluth
Not a dumb question.

It's something that only happens in the team blocks stat. If a player goes up on their own it's a solo block. If two (or three) players go up and get the block, they are all credited a block regardless who touches the ball. This is a block (assist). When calculating team blocks, you count all the solo blocks and half of all the block assists. So 5 solo blocks and 21 block assists would end up as 15.5 team blocks.

And a block is a stop at the net that directly leads to the point, not just any denial at the net.

SFAJack_76
RPI up to 44. Still think there is no chance of getting an at large bid. Must win the SLC tournament to get into the NCAA.

CertifiedAxeman98
Like basketball the rest of the SL is not very good once you get past the top 2-3 team (UCA - 108, SAM - 155). There best wins continue to be Rice and Wichita St.
nacluth
No 0 at large chance...ok technically like 4%, but not happening. The good thing is that this could put us in a bracket as a 10 seed or higher - which is huge for a midmajor. But we have to win the tournament.
djsfw57
Thanks for that explanation. It was very clear and my feeble brain appreciates that kind of thing more every day. :-) I got to watch them for the first time Saturday (on tv) and I was floored with their defense. Very sharp looking team.
SFAJack_76
nacluth said:

No 0 at large chance...ok technically like 4%, but not happening. The good thing is that this could put us in a bracket as a 10 seed or higher - which is huge for a midmajor. But we have to win the tournament.

Not where I can look it up, but I think they only seed the top 16. The rest are largely regional. Correct me if that is wrong.
nacluth
I think you're right, but essentially they seed like the basketball tournament even though they don't call it that. The higher our RPI the better the matchups for us right now. It's not like basketball where seeds 12-16 are reserved for midmajor/one bid leagues. And bad P5 schools get the 8-11 seeds. But we could end up with a favorable first round game if we win out.
nacluth
The Ladyjacks completed a perfect regular season going 16-0 in conference! Congratulations Ladyjacks!
TallTexan

Our conference championship is hosted at home by a team that's not the regular season champ? Our conference is so janky.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.