2018 Volleyball

93,625 Views | 396 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFA will play at UT. Axe 'em!
Pilotgirl
Don't have to travel far....and we are the underdog, like always...so bring it on!
SFA Jack Fanatic
Pilotgirl said:

Don't have to travel far....and we are the underdog, like always...so bring it on!
Call me crazy, but we can play with UT this year.
djsfw57
edstile said:

Pilotgirl said:

Call me crazy, but we can play with UT this year.
I think they can too. If they can go out and play loose the first set I think they have a good chance to upset UT. If they play like they're intimidated, it will be a lot less entertaining.
cboothe09
We might be able to hang, but I feel like we should have been paired against Rice or Texas State in the opener...Lack of respect for what we did this season...
nacluth
Definitely a rough pull from our region. Everyone is good in those four. We happen to already have favorable experience against Rice, but let's just say this bracket is no joke. I think we can hang with UT though it's an extremely disappointing seeding based on our results. Essentially like a getting a 15 seed.

NCAA blew it. Kinda got screwed that all of our "good" wins were against teams that didn't make the tournament save Rice and both losses were to non-tourney teams. Oh well. If we beat Texas, we're on the fast track to the Elite Eight volleyball equivalent.
SFAJack_76
cboothe09 said:

We might be able to hang, but I feel like we should have been paired against Rice or Texas State in the opener...Lack of respect for what we did this season...
More a deserved lack of respect for SLC volleyball. Texas State and Rice both won better conferences. Texas State with an RPI of 24. Rice at 30. SFA at 45. I don't like where we ended up, but I am not surprised.

Probably most on here know, but Nell Fortner got her masters degree when she was an assistant for Gary Blair at SFA. She played both basketball and volleyball at UT.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan
While I think our chances are slimmer than I'd like based on that pairing, you've got to beat the best to be the best.

And I asked Del Conte on twitter if our volleyball girls brought some mapquest directions to Nac, if he'd pass them along to Shaka. Been a while since we've seen our favorite opposing coach.

Be mighty nice of him to stop by sometime.
SFAJack_76
From the UT sports web site:

Texas (20-4, 15-1) earned the No. 5 overall seed and will play Stephen F. Austin at 7 p.m. on Thursday, Nov. 29. On the other side of the bracket, Rice and Texas State will play at 4 p.m. at Gregory Gym.
SFAXE93
Good thing SFA is in Austin.
SFAJack_76
We are so blessed to have this woman as our volleyball coach for over three decades.

Pilotgirl
Who will be going to game?? Alas, I can't get there in time (off work at 4:30) but I hope some will make the drive! I think my daughter's BFF will be working the game...he texted with an " uh-oh" after the matchups aired. But he promised to cheer for our Ladies for a few minutes
Ljacks&Longnecks
Okay Pilotgirl..I will make the drive from SW Austin to the game. Would like to know if anyone else from here will be attending.....perhaps a pre game, snack, dinner, soda, beer or at least a hello could be had.
CertifiedAxeman98
We go up against the #3 RPI team to start. Chance to make a statement. Like in basketball SFA gets no respect with the SLC being a weak conference.
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
Pilotgirl
I am so glad I get to watch the game on TV!!
SFAJack_76
https://volleyballmag.com/ncaa-112918/

Big in Texas: This meeting in Austin might be the only four-team gathering where every team won its respective league. Conference USA-champion Rice plays Sun Belt-winner Texas State and then Big 12-winner Texas plays Southland Conference-winner Stephen F. Austin.

Rice had won 15 in a row and clinched the league before losing its last two C-USA matches. But the Owls won the conference tournament and will have to be their best to beat high-flying Texas State. While Russ Rose finishes his 40th year at Penn State, Karen Chisum is next on the longevity list, finishing her 39th year at Texas State. Texas State is ranked No. 22 in the NCAA RPI and boasts a tremendous transfer from Florida, leading attacker Cheyenne Huskey, the best freshman setter (and, yes, there are some good ones) in the country in Emily DeWalt, who leads a balanced attack.

Texas, of course, is the prohibitive favorite in this foursome it swept Texas State earlier this season - but give SFA its due. The Ladyjacks are 32-2 with the most wins in the country, went 16-0 in the SLC and have won 29 in a row under another veteran coach, Debbie Humphreys, who is finishing her 31st year.
SFAJack_76
Chills ....

nacluth
#30 tonight.
BigJack85
Axe 'Em Jacks!!!!!!!!!!!
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAJack_76
UCA loses to Wichita State 3-2.
Pilotgirl
Already got my TV tuned to Longhorn channel.....Ready for this game!! Kinda glad I am not there in person...that Tournament Championship Game was enough excitement/nervousness for me and we dominated them! Needless to say, I am 1000% proud of these Ladyjacks NO MATTER THE OUTCOME TONIGHT. They deserve our respect and congrats! Way to go Ladies!
Ljacks&Longnecks
At Gregory gym ready for action. Decent SFA crowd across from our bench. Me, I'm in the rafters somewhere.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Good match so far.....10-10 while UT whines about a call....err I mean asks for a review and of course gets the call
Ljacks&Longnecks
Review started bad run, we need to relax and just play our game
SFA Jack Fanatic
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Good match so far.....10-10 while UT whines about a call....err I mean asks for a review and of course gets the call
Home cookin'....
nacluth
Yep, ball looked in to me. But good intensity from the Jacks. Longhorns are not better. Time to axe those horns.
SFAJack_76
nacluth said:

Longhorns are not better.
I want some of what you are drinking.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Come on ladies. You can regroup and come back!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.