2018 Volleyball

92,336 Views | 396 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The team was young last year with one senior and one RS junior that opted to move on after graduation. I wonder if there has been other departures. Should be another good team that hopefully can get over that tournament challenge.

nacluth
The couple of games I've been to have been a great atmosphere! Ready to go back to more.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

Should be another good team that hopefully can get over that tournament challenge.

More like a tournament nightmare for all women's sports.
SFAJack_76
edstile said:

SFAJack_76 said:

Should be another good team that hopefully can get over that tournament challenge.

More like a tournament nightmare for all women's sports.
Painfully true. Looking to volleyball and soccer to break through that in the fall.

Volleyball matches in Shelton are a lot of fun. Moving them there from WRJ was a great change.
SFAJack_76
2018 Schedule is out. Roster has not been updated.

https://sfajacks.com/news/2018/5/29/womens-volleyball-ladyjacks-unveil-2018-schedule.aspx
SFAJack_76
Shelton is a great environment. If you have a chance, get out and support these girls. You won't regret it.

Jacks4460
Home Volleyball Games should be HUGE events on campus... I hope Ryan has some type of promotion before every game like free food for the students entering the game... Pizza,hot dogs,burgers,tacos,chick fil a sandwhichs... make em stay in the gym the whole time... that place will be busting at the seam and our ladys would LOVE the support along with marketing our Ath. Dept.. The word will spread like wildfire for the kids that live on campus.. Hell if I knew I could get a free meal and spend a couple hours watching a good Ladys Volleyball team I would be all over it... Then I would take my $10 from supper and go to Cross Roads!!! Man I loved that place...
SFAJack_76
Nice resume'.

BigJack85
Did anyone see that we are adding Beach Volleyball in 2020? I've got some reservations about adding another sport.... especially a women's sport but I guess it's the way of the world.

Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFA Jack Fanatic
BigJack85 said:

Did anyone see that we are adding Beach Volleyball in 2020? I've got some reservations about adding another sport.... especially a women's sport but I guess it's the way of the world.

Beach volleyball??? Are you kidding me? Where did you see this?
Pilotgirl
Reservations because of a women's sport? #sexistmuch In the Olympics and just in general, beach volleyball is a men's and women's sport, FYI.
nacluth
Pilotgirl said:

Reservations because of a women's sport? #sexistmuch In the Olympics and just in general, beach volleyball is a men's and women's sport, FYI.
While you're right that in the Olympics, it is a sport for both sexes, the NCAA only sanctions Women's Beach Volleyball. And because there needs to be a "balance" in sports offered for women and men because of Title IX, my guess is that beach Volleyball is an inexpensive sport to add to help fulfill government requirements.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
Pilotgirl
Didn't know that (about no mens beach volleyball in college; I only follow it at Olympic level). Thanks fir clarification.

So glad Title IX exists.
nacluth
I think we actually have more women's sports offered than men's sports at SFA, but that's really to help offset the amount of male athletes (primarily from the huge football program). Beach Volleyball would help to keep us in the requirements without having to strip a men's team.

An upside from my perspective: More women's sports provide a great destination for female athletes here at SFA...and our only national championship came from our women's bowling team. Demi Payne, while not winning the NCAA Championships, did become a US National Champion in pole vaulting. Stephanie Schwartz won individual champion this year in bowling.

I, of course, would like to see winning sports rewarded with more cash. Bowling should have a venue in town to host teams - instead of in Kingwood. But, football though lackluster for many years will still get an inordinate amount of money
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
TallTexan
Looking at a cost per athlete for each sport SFA has would be really interesting.
Pilotgirl
And Football is King in Texas. Even if the program is lackluster. The volleyball program at SFA is amazing and they are BEAST.

And yes, as a woman, I'm glad that Title IX is in place to make things more equitable. And I'm (and women in general) are not gonna apologize for that.

Bowling Team def needs their own place and BB needs quality facilities. SFA has to abide by the law so why point out ugh another women's sport? The last thing you want is SFA to be in violation of the law...and equality is actually a pretty cool thing.

I work with teens, and have for 11 years. I've posted in other threads that my 21 year old goes to SFA. I showed her this thread and asked what her peers would say. She responded that she has never had peers in high school or college use gender issues; they all talk equally and would not have a negative reaction to beach volleyball. So, I guess Title IX has worked and yes, this is the way of the world. So if it happens, we will support it 100%!
nacluth
I would love to see that report especially broken down by sport. Would you include marketing expenditures as well? I don't think a straight budget and contracts divided by players would quite do it, but it would be at least a start.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
BigJack85
More just concerned about the added expense.
nacluth
Volleyball has been consistently good. I'm glad they now own Shelton Gym. It's one of the best events on campus consistently. All their games are full of energy. I hope it continues to grow.

It's getting better, but sports donors have been overwhelmingly male, and they generally support men's sports. But, I believe it is getting better like your daughter says. I hope by the time my three girls (8, 6, & 2) make it to college that it is even more of an equal environment.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
Pilotgirl
But if it is needed to meet the requirements? Unless they can add more track and field #s or something like that.
Pilotgirl
It is SO much better. I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the time they are college age. Lots of work to get that way & more to go. Ive had a great convo w/my daughter about this...her dream job is to work the Texans...and it's been a lively chat. And refreshing!
TallTexan
Pilotgirl said:

But if it is needed to meet the requirements? Unless they can add more track and field #s or something like that.

I think it would be easier to promote these added sports to the fanatics base if we had a number on how close we are to meeting Title IX requirements. I take it that if we're needing to add beach volleyball, we're not currently in compliance?

That said, as a fan I'm always happy to see SFA compete in sports that could take them to the Olympics. I want to see one of our athletes on that stage one day.

To my knowledge, the closest we've come to the Olympics have been our girls. Demi Payne and one of my classmates was on one of the Olympic soccer teams(South Africa I believe) but I think her team failed to qualify for the Olympics.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

Pilotgirl said:

I think it would be easier to promote these added sports to the fanatics base if we had a number on how close we are to meeting Title IX requirements. I take it that if we're needing to add beach volleyball, we're not currently in compliance?

That said, as a fan I'm always happy to see SFA compete in sports that could take them to the Olympics. I want to see one of our athletes on that stage one day.

To my knowledge, the closest we've come to the Olympics have been our girls. Demi Payne and one of my classmates was on one of the Olympic soccer teams(South Africa I believe) but I think her team failed to qualify for the Olympics.
Kylie Louw, now an assistant coach for the Northern Arizona Lumberjacks, did play for her native South Africa team at the London olympics. https://nauathletics.com/news/2017/4/11/4_11_2017_4330.aspx?path=wsoc

Seeking a link to the information about beach volleyball b in added. I have not found it.
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

TallTexan said:

Pilotgirl said:

Kylie Louw, now an assistant coach for the Northern Arizona Lumberjacks, did play for her native South Africa team at the London olympics. https://nauathletics.com/news/2017/4/11/4_11_2017_4330.aspx?path=wsoc

Seeking a link to the information about beach volleyball b in added. I have not found it.
SFAJack 76, I read about it in the BOR meeting notes.... Here's the press release from SFASU news site. The comment on Sand Volleyball is about 1/2 way thru the article. Say's that they are aiming for a 2020 start .

http://www.sfasu.edu/10009.asp

TallTexan
Yep it was Kylie. Crittendon definitely knows how to recruit some winners.
SFA Jack Fanatic
BigJack85 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

SFAJack 76, I read about it in the BOR meeting notes.... Here's the press release from SFASU news site. The comment on Sand Volleyball is about 1/2 way thru the article. Say's that they are aiming for a 2020 start .

Thanks for the link. It says that beach volleyball will make us competitive with our peer institutions. Just curious... What peer institutions?? UCLA and USC?? I'm totally clueless on this. What schools this side of the West Coast have beach volleyball teams? And I assume we would have to import players the way that the bowling team does, since I know of zero high schools in Texas that play beach volleyball, right? (Not that importing them is a bad thing... Just sayin'...)

And BTW, does anyone know what Demi Payne is doing these days? I hope she's still plying her vaulting trade. I'd love to see her in the 2020 Olympics.
Pilotgirl
Actually, more than one would think. And more are being added. So SFA is thinking of joining that list. So kudos for them!

https://www.ncsasports.org/beach-volleyball/colleges
Pilotgirl
5 schools in our conference play, if I counted correctly.
TallTexan
TallTexan
Looks like we'll be in good company.

And I'd imagine that we'd bring in beach volleyball athletes from places with beaches but I wonder how many teams just recruit volleyball players and train them to play beach volleyball?
Pilotgirl
I do hear about some making that transition post college. Interesting, for sure. Love to go to a game. Wonder if the HS in the valley play? I have some friends from SPI I will have to ask
TallTexan
I've never heard of a HS playing, but I bet a lot of the ones near the beach play for fun or in local leagues. I'd be interested to know.
SFAJack_76
Thanks.
BigJack85
edstile said:

BigJack85 said:

Thanks for the link. It says that beach volleyball will make us competitive with our peer institutions. Just curious... What peer institutions?? UCLA and USC?? I'm totally clueless on this. What schools this side of the West Coast have beach volleyball teams? And I assume we would have to import players the way that the bowling team does, since I know of zero high schools in Texas that play beach volleyball, right? (Not that importing them is a bad thing... Just sayin'...)

And BTW, does anyone know what Demi Payne is doing these days? I hope she's still plying her vaulting trade. I'd love to see her in the 2020 Olympics.

I believe the intention is to have our mix of men/women closer to Title IX requirements. My guess is that a few players will cross over from Volleyball to Sand Volleyball. May reduce the expense a little. Kind of odd. I'd rather see them add something like Lacrosse but of course that would add significant expense.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

Yep it was Kylie. Crittendon definitely knows how to recruit some winners.
Crittenden can recruit, but he can't get credit for Kylie. She graduated before he got to SFA.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.