#14 SFA / #3 Texas Tech

83,668 Views | 300 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by sfa17
SFASawmillGuy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TallTexan said:

SFA_03 said:

CLHawkins said:

Anyone know if the band will be in attendance?

The band will absolutely be in attendance.
Good, we're going to need Gru especially pumped if he's going to break out with a double double to beat tech.

Be realistic. It'll be a triple double.
nsubroski
Good luck to ya'll get the SLC some $$$ with a vic
sfa17
sfaguy
SFAELITE said:

nacluth said:

I agree that supporting our team and sports department monetarily is a great benefit. Having high expectations is also a wonderful asset to our program and should be reflected in our comments to the administration. I think also success helps generates future success. I expect next year to be better than this year.

However, I do think second guessing every decision (or loss) from a coach is the way to go about it. I think Keller has shown (in his limited time) that he has what it takes to recruit and win to take this program higher. I think we should let him do it.
As a booster, I'm going to be critical of Keller if feel like he doesn't have what it takes to get us to the next level. I will also be critical of the school if they're not making the proper accommodations to make it happen. I don't care what happens, he can always improve. I will say this, he has improved but that means I expect more improvement next year...
You've been wrong on just about everything Keller related so far, including your mocking memes...so forgive me for not putting a lot of stock in your veiled shots at him after he got this team to the NCAA Tournament.
INiedrauer
Staff
SFAELITE said:

Should we expect a win? Or just be happy he finally made the tournament? You answering these questions will show yourself how you really feel about SFA basketball.
There are a few problems with this. First of all, he didn't "finally" make the tournament. He rebuilt a roster and got them there in 24 months.

Second, as a 14 seed it is not realistic to expect to win. The team will expect it because that's how they roll and fans can too if they want, but objectively that is not the standard when you're a 14 seed. You are an underdog, no matter what, as a 14 seed.

If you steal one, that's great. If you consistently put together an improving body of work, there will be chances down the road to maybe not be a 14 seed. This season, let's enjoy this experience and be grateful that these guys get to play their heart out on the biggest stage. They're in it to win, but to act disappointed in them if they don't, I think, is a little ridiculous.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

SFASawmillGuy
Isaac's right. Though I think if we pull what we did against West Virginia I may have to go ahead and preemptively buy my final 4 tickets. Just in case.
TallTexan
SFA_03 said:

Isaac's right. Though I think if we pull what we did against West Virginia I may have to go ahead and preemptively buy my final 4 tickets. Just in case.
You're going to want to buy them now before the bandwagon fans bid them up.
SFAJack_76
The wife and I will be there cheering loudly, and proudly supporting these young men that have represented our university with class. Win or lose. I hope for a win and know they can. That is a long shot, but I don't care. If things go terribly wrong and we lose by 23, I will still stand and applaud their efforts and look forward to renewing our season tickets for next year.

SFA will be one of 64 standing on Thursday. That is special.

Axe 'em.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

SFA will be one of 64 standing on Thursday. That is special.

Axe 'em.
Well said, 76. Well said indeed....
SFASawmillGuy
You guys realize if we win that means a second game in Dallas.
SFAJack_76
SFA_03 said:

I have it on my calendar!
nacluth
SFA_03 said:

I will be at that game along with 10,000 of my closest SFA friends.
CLHawkins
SFA_03 said:

CLHawkins said:

Anyone know if the band will be in attendance?

The band will absolutely be in attendance.

I just saw on Facebook that they're on their way to Ireland. Are only some of them going on that trip?
Ballwatch
https://wreckemred.com/2018/03/12/texas-tech-basketball-know-your-enemy-stephen-f-austin/
MasterJack11
I already got my Final Four tickets... anything is possible...7/9 playoff games in Texas...could be special
PurpleOut
Staff
Just booked my flight.
INiedrauer
Staff
Ballwatch said:

https://wreckemred.com/2018/03/12/texas-tech-basketball-know-your-enemy-stephen-f-austin/
I'll be honest, I actually found quite a few problems with stuff in this.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

MasterAxe
INiedrauer said:

Ballwatch said:

He's right about us playing aggressive defense. He's right that we will not be intimidated. He's right that their size is a huge benefit. He's right that their guards are better than SLC guards.

But, the three period S.F.A. about drove me insane.

Wikipedia, bro.
nacluth
Really? Almost everything put out by Tech fans has been so dismissive. I hope, hope, hope that's how the team feels too. I found one article that was supposed to be a breakdown of their first round, and it ended up being a discussion of which team they would rather play in the second. Please keep overlooking this game.
INiedrauer
Staff
MasterAxe said:

INiedrauer said:

Ballwatch said:

He's right about us playing aggressive defense. He's right that we will not be intimidated. He's right that their size is a huge benefit. He's right that their guards are better than SLC guards.

Wikipedia, bro.
This was one of the things that bothered me the most: "This strategy is effective against teams in the Southland Conference which may be short on quality ball-handlers. However, Texas Tech has a roster full of players that can be deadly at beating man-to-man defense off the dribble."

This is the opposite of true. SFA's trapping defense was more effective in the non-conference because it was unconventional and teams don't practice against it. SFA had to totally adjust in league play because everyone prepared for it.

A quick run of the numbers would show the turnovers forced actually went down a bit in league against the teams that were "short on quality ball-handlers." You know, guys like Marlain Veal and Jordan Howard who just couldn't handle the ball well enough to play in a bigger league. /s
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

MasterAxe
INiedrauer said:

MasterAxe said:

INiedrauer said:

Ballwatch said:

Wikipedia, bro.
This was one of the things that bothered me the most: "This strategy is effective against teams in the Southland Conference which may be short on quality ball-handlers. However, Texas Tech has a roster full of players that can be deadly at beating man-to-man defense off the dribble."

This is the opposite of true. SFA's trapping defense was more effective in the non-conference because it was unconventional and teams don't practice against it. SFA had to totally adjust in league play because everyone prepared for it.

A quick run of the numbers would show the turnovers forced actually went down a bit in league against the teams that were "short on quality ball-handlers." You know, guys like Marlain Veal and Jordan Howard who just couldn't handle the ball well enough to play in a bigger league. /s
You are so right, I didnt even think about that. The "better" teams with "better players" seemed like they had more issues with us than conference teams did (at some points).
Txjack
Just saw cbs sports web site...they are reporting that the SportsLine computer model is predicting that SFA will upset tech...the model had predicted we would beat wv as well.
TallTexan
Quote:

From WreckEmRed "One final note to remember about S.F.A. is that they are tiny. There is only one player on the roster over 6-foot-8 (7-footer Jovan Grujic) and he plays just 5.8 minutes per game."
Ahhhhaaaaa, they have overlooked our secret weapon! The long hustle has worked!
TallTexan
INiedrauer said:

MasterAxe said:

INiedrauer said:

Ballwatch said:

Wikipedia, bro.

You've got to give these guys a break Isaac, they're out getting high on cow fumes on the high plains. Anybody that throws perfectly good tortillas has got to be suspect in their reasoning capabilities.
SFAELITE
s***uy said:

SFAELITE said:

nacluth said:

I agree that supporting our team and sports department monetarily is a great benefit. Having high expectations is also a wonderful asset to our program and should be reflected in our comments to the administration. I think also success helps generates future success. I expect next year to be better than this year.

However, I do think second guessing every decision (or loss) from a coach is the way to go about it. I think Keller has shown (in his limited time) that he has what it takes to recruit and win to take this program higher. I think we should let him do it.
As a booster, I'm going to be critical of Keller if feel like he doesn't have what it takes to get us to the next level. I will also be critical of the school if they're not making the proper accommodations to make it happen. I don't care what happens, he can always improve. I will say this, he has improved but that means I expect more improvement next year...
You've been wrong on just about everything Keller related so far, including your mocking memes...so forgive me for not putting a lot of stock in your veiled shots at him after he got this team to the NCAA Tournament.
Well this is a forum and I can express my opinion on how we should run the team. And just because your opinoin is different from mine doesn't make it wrong.
SFAELITE
INiedrauer said:

SFAELITE said:

Should we expect a win? Or just be happy he finally made the tournament? You answering these questions will show yourself how you really feel about SFA basketball.
There are a few problems with this. First of all, he didn't "finally" make the tournament. He rebuilt a roster and got them there in 24 months.

Second, as a 14 seed it is not realistic to expect to win. The team will expect it because that's how they roll and fans can too if they want, but objectively that is not the standard when you're a 14 seed. You are an underdog, no matter what, as a 14 seed.

If you steal one, that's great. If you consistently put together an improving body of work, there will be chances down the road to maybe not be a 14 seed. This season, let's enjoy this experience and be grateful that these guys get to play their heart out on the biggest stage. They're in it to win, but to act disappointed in them if they don't, I think, is a little ridiculous.

I just want fans and alumni to push for more Isaac. You seem to know sports so what does it take to get the tournament committee to get us better seeding? Demonstrating dominance in conference play consistently, would you agree? Not only that but advancing out of the first round more times than not. I want this alumni base involved with this forum to not be satisfied losing to a 3 seed (even though it's unrealistic). So when we do lose, they go back to SFA and start doing whatever they can to help the team out. Voicing opinions, giving money, or whatever it might be. We need more interaction with helping the basketball program. I'm calling for action from all alumni. If you're happy that we made the tournament and okay with us losing then do nothing. If you want to improve the program, do whatever your budget or current situation (like donating gifts) to the program. If we let our voice be heard at the university and let them know how we feel about the basketball program, eventually they'll listen. I'm not talking about Keller, I'm talking about them devoting resources to better the program in whatever way possible so that we start the dominance and start becoming that 12 seed, then who knows from there. We have a chance to make this program amazing. If ya'll already do something, then great I really appreciate it as a fan. We also shouldn't tell people their opinoins are wrong if they view something is a different manner. Trust me, I want the best for this program.

Techfan85
Hey guys Tech fan here.

In the few times I've watched SFA, have been very impressed. Curious about the style matchup here. Earlier in the year watched the SFA/Missouri game, and then watched some of the Southland tourney. Seems like you guys were much more aggressive with the press and faster tempo in the OOC. Has that been a purposeful change or does everyone expect SFA to bring up the aggression and try to speed Tech up a bit like in the Missou game? Thanks guys and GL
SFAELITE
Ballwatch said:

Do ya'll think they misspelled Kellers name numerous times on purpose?
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAELITE said:

If you're happy that we made the tournament and okay with us losing then do nothing. If you want to improve the program, do whatever your budget or current situation (like donating gifts) to the program.

Perhaps like supporting the program by being an ANNUAL CONTRIBUTOR TO THE VARSITY CLUB. And supporting The Sawmill by becoming a PREMIUM MEMBER OF THE SAWMILL.
INiedrauer
Staff
Techfan85 said:

Hey guys Tech fan here.

In the few times I've watched SFA, have been very impressed. Curious about the style matchup here. Earlier in the year watched the SFA/Missouri game, and then watched some of the Southland tourney. Seems like you guys were much more aggressive with the press and faster tempo in the OOC. Has that been a purposeful change or does everyone expect SFA to bring up the aggression and try to speed Tech up a bit like in the Missou game? Thanks guys and GL

You know, I'm not sure the style changed as much as conference coaches are just better at stopping it. They've seen that defense for longer and are probably better prepared for it. Regarding pace, I think if you saw SFA's first two games in the tournament, it was mostly the speed you'd be used to seeing. Southeastern did a really good job of slowing them down in the title game and that was how they made it so close.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

SFAELITE
edstile said:

SFAELITE said:

If you're happy that we made the tournament and okay with us losing then do nothing. If you want to improve the program, do whatever your budget or current situation (like donating gifts) to the program.

Perhaps like supporting the program by being an ANNUAL CONTRIBUTOR TO THE VARSITY CLUB. And supporting The Sawmill by becoming a PREMIUM MEMBER OF THE SAWMILL.

I agree, I contirbute to the varsity club.
TallTexan
Techfan85 said:

Hey guys Tech fan here.

Quick, delete the secret gameplans, there's a spy among us.

Kidding... mostly. Welcome to the Sawmill!
SFA88
SDLJ said:

Online classes are a big draw for some students. The issue there: they aren't as rigorous. I think it is unwise to sacrifice academic rigor for more students. GCU is a bit of a laughing stock because it is (or soon to be was) for profit online school. Also, they have church in the building before their games which increases their attendance. Plus they market their ass off. I bet entrance is free. I don't pay to go to church.

Liberty U? Is a terrible school.

Purdue- Purdue is Purdue. They bought them for $1 because the online degrees were not worth the paper they are printed on.

I missed the online school era at SFA. However, I have seen tons of students pay others to take their on-line classes. Also, I took a class in law school that was more of a video conference online with a similar platform to online undergrad (you have to take the test at school); I did well in the class but I learned less than I would have in a classroom. Also could be preference. After-all, depends on who you ask. Enough with the tangent.

SFA has a marketing problem. There is literally nothing better to do in Nac than go to SFA basketball games (or football). The coliseum should be maxed out almost every home game. I don't remember the cost of tickets. Is it expensive? My wife played softball (lifetime free baby). Make the tickets cheaper? Any marketing person knows they spend money inside the building.

We have to get the community engaged.
I disagree that online classes are not as rigorous. If the same PhD is teaching the same online class under the same syllabus as he/she teaches to the on-campus students, its hard to see how it isn't as rigorous. Will some online students cheat? Absolutely. Do some on-campus students cheat? Absolutely (do the frat and sorority houses still have their libraries of previous mid-term and final exams?) . Do most students online or on-campus cheat? No, but it is easier to do it online.

Like most people you do not know the history of GCU. Suffice to say it is older than most people know and has spent 3 1/2 times more years as a non-profit than it has as a for profit. I agree though that there are things they do during this stint as a for profit that bother me. Those things don't bother me as much as decades of corruption, bribery, pedophilia, and rape covered up in the name of athletics by "esteemed" non-profit universities but they bother me.

Church!!?? lol I was not aware that GCU had church services before every basketball game. Nor was I aware that church had become such a draw for college students. Most of my college friends spent Sunday morning recovering from Saturday night. If all SFA has to do to sell out every game with costume clad crazed students (Disney night was incredible) is hold a non-denominational church service before the game, SFA administration should get in touch with the on campus religious organizations and make that happen next year.

I have no idea how good or bad the academics are at Liberty nor do I care. You are right, those Kaplan degrees probably aren't worth much but that's not relevant. What is relevant is that Purdue now has 30,000 more tuition paying students and the online infrastructure to grow that number.

None of the above is relevant to my response to CLHawkins about spending more money on buildings and parking garages to increase enrollment. The fact is SFA does not have to do that. Students entering college for the first time were born in 2000 and 2001. They have grown up with a cell phone in their hands and they live their lives on social media. Online classes do not carry a stigma with them. Almost every university in the country offers online classes because their customers demand it. SFA already has online classes. A student can already get a degree from SFA online. My point is that a good way to boost net income for SFA is for them to increase their online offerings and market them. The branding and the messaging will need to be done carefully so as not to cheapen the SFA brand but it can be done.
SDLJ
I think you make valid points. I am not anti-online classes. I will say I am not a proponent of an entire degree program being available online (especially at the graduate level).

With that said, it is one way to increase enrollment. BTW, GCU is a christian school. My days at SFA didn't include many church services. I like the Disney idea.

I don't think the infrastructure for online classes would be that much. Not to mention it is really easy to contract PHD(s), JD(s), and masters level professors online. I have taught a few online political science classes through BYU.

I agree that all options should be on the table to increase enrollment and participation. I just hope we can avoid sacrificing quality of education.
TheRevSFA
Well guys,

If there was an opportunity to make a sweet 16, this is definitely it. Getting a game closer to campus is a rarity unless you're a top 4 seed or so. This could be huge, and it'll be fun.

I'm not at all discounting Tech, they are a 3 seed for a reason, but they've also been slumping in recent weeks. Maybe the slump continues..maybe it's been broken.

Anyways, see y'all thursday Just look for the guy in the purple suit and SFA tie.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.