#14 SFA / #3 Texas Tech

84,437 Views | 300 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by sfa17
RedRiverLa
How long do you want to ignore this user?
fortWorthJack said:

Just got back home from the game. Super dissapointing result. We were the better team for most of the game. Tech made the plays when it counted. It felt weird to be at the big dance without the likes of Trey and Walkup. Those guys could carry the rock against anybody any day. When it came to crunch time execution suffered. I think if there is an area for improvement it is the execution. Tech' defense might have stymied us some but that team was not better than the SEC teams we played. I honestly though we played down to Tech at times. This was a very winnable game despite the 10% odds.

We had a tough draw and held our own - a couple of plays at the end or shots that might have fallen and I think we could have pulled it out. Score is not reflective of the game and I thought we weren't intimidated at all by the moment - I'd still line up like Hoosiers on the way back to Nac if I could.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
TallTexan
I think you should. Just keep him up until June for some NBA tourney experience.
FreshPrinceOfDarkness
I know it's pretty lame to post that "congratulations even though you lost" message, but SFA made that game a nail-biter from beginning to end. Congrats Jacks. That was a badass game. Someday I will watch you win the FCS football national championship with my SFA boys. I look forward to it.
No-look
FreshPrinceOfDarkness said:

I know it's pretty lame to post that "congratulations even though you lost" message, but SFA made that game a nail-biter from beginning to end. Congrats Jacks. That was a badass game. Someday I will watch you win the FCS football national championship with my SFA boys. I look forward to it.
Thanks, you guys turned it up a few notches at the end. Good luck the rest of the way.
RedRiverLa
I wonder if I can hire Rob Meyers to sit in the corner of my den at a little table with headphones and a mic and call all the tournament games for me. On the whole, the announcers are really bad in this tournament.
Lumberjack Battalion
sfa17
tough loss to swallow. The jacks dominated most of the game. it just came down to the last five minutes. Great job from the team and coaches. I think the pro tech crowd probably help them close it in the final minutes. That's the life of a mid major. Who is ready for football season : ) looks like no player in the last 5 year has graduated without going to NCAA tournament. Hopefully the streak continues.
RedRiverLa
With Texas Tech as the draw, I really wish we had played somewhere else other than Dallas. It wasn't the reason we lost, but their crowd really willed Texas Tech at the end.
Lumberjack Battalion
sfa17
RedRiverLa said:

With Texas Tech as the draw, I really wish we had played somewhere else other than Dallas. It wasn't the reason we lost, but their crowd really willed Texas Tech at the end.
totally agree. The crowd was at least worth a few points. but i also have never been to an away SFA game. So it was really unusual for me to see us outnumbered. Now i know why Away games are so tough. But we did great.

How about that Zhaire Smith's dunk. Jez!! imagine if we got him. wow.
nacluth
Just watched the postgame. Honestly probably Keller's worst interview of the year because he's usually so good, but you could tell this one hurt bad. Canete did great in the presser. He was awesome in his final game.

Thanks Ivan, Leon, and especially Ty for your great time with our squad.
SDLJ
Pretty tough to watch the last 3 minutes yesterday. The game started at 4:27 west coast time... so I HAD to take the entire day off (and today too).

While we were watching the game, my wife and I discussed different ways we could support SFA athletics. Our game presence is limited because of our proximity to Nac and where the Jacks play. San Diego is a bit of a trek.

We are open to any and all suggestions.

Go Jacks...
Lumberjack2009
https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/stephen-f-austins-coach-went-on-a-wild-rant-about-millennials-and-green-beans/

Maybe I'm being over sensitive but this article kind of pissed me off, and seemed wildly taken out of context. Washington post had a similar article to this one
MasterAxe
Lumberjack2009 said:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/stephen-f-austins-coach-went-on-a-wild-rant-about-millennials-and-green-beans/

Maybe I'm being over sensitive but this article kind of pissed me off, and seemed wildly taken out of context. Washington post had a similar article to this one
We are in a "get clicks" society.

This is a prime example. Let those yahoo's think what they want. They don't care about context.

I understand completely what he was talking about.
INiedrauer
Staff
Keller was asked about his team not being scared of playing a 3 seed:

Of course, everyone is trying to take that comment grossly out of context today. There's even an SB Nation article out there where he supposedly "blamed the loss" on millennials. But whatever. They'll forget about it by tomorrow and find some other click-baity quote to distort.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

TallTexan
INiedrauer said:

Keller was asked about his team not being scared of playing a 3 seed:

Of course, everyone is trying to take that comment grossly out of context today. There's even an SB Nation article out there where he supposedly "blamed the loss" on millennials. But whatever. They'll forget about it by tomorrow and find some other click-baity quote to distort.
Yep, lots of clickbaiting going on this morning, but I'll take Keller over most any coach in college basketball.
TallTexan
SDLJ said:

Pretty tough to watch the last 3 minutes yesterday. The game started at 4:27 west coast time... so I HAD to take the entire day off (and today too).

While we were watching the game, my wife and I discussed different ways we could support SFA athletics. Our game presence is limited because of our proximity to Nac and where the Jacks play. San Diego is a bit of a trek.

We are open to any and all suggestions.

Go Jacks...
I never realized how awesome watching sports on the West coast is until last week. Basketball at 5 o clock? Count me in. I work from home too, so this time of the year is great.

In terms of supporting SFA athletics, there are a few things you can do:

1. Continue to be involved in the fan community, even if from afar.
2. Support the Varsity club if you can afford too
3. Be active in SFA's social media efforts. Give us the widest reach that we can get.
4. Invite all your Lumberjack brethren to vacation in San Diego. I think this last one is probably the biggest key to Lumberjack success.

All kidding aside, Matt might have some more suggestions, he's been a Lumberjack expat for a while longer than me.
SDLJ
Dan Gartland (SI) tweeted that SFA's Keller "blamed his players not being prepared" on his players not watching basketball. He wrote a corresponding story. I tweeted at him that it was patently false. He has since, removed the tweet.
TallTexan
SDLJ said:

Dan Gartland (SI) tweeted that SFA's Keller "blamed his players not being prepared" on his players not watching basketball. He wrote a corresponding story. I tweeted at him that it was patently false. He has since, removed the tweet.
Awesome, I reached out to some of the writers as well. I think many saw the original terrible take & proceeded to run with it without actually reading the context. But they're definitely just going for clicks.
SDLJ
https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2018/03/16/stephen-f-austin-coach-kyle-keller-millennials

I contacted SI requesting a retraction. The full article is still up.

https://www.si.com/contact
INiedrauer
Staff
I won't be upset if folks here help me get this one out there: https://sfasawmill.com/s/493/reaction-to-kellers-millennials-comment-a-showcase-in-lazy-journalism
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

TallTexan
INiedrauer said:

I won't be upset if folks here help me get this one out there: https://sfasawmill.com/s/493/reaction-to-kellers-millennials-comment-a-showcase-in-lazy-journalism
Sharing everywhere.
SDLJ
The Sports Illustrated "journalist" just admitted his article was wrong and he took the quote out of context on my twitter feed.
MasterAxe
SDLJ said:

The Sports Illustrated "journalist" just admitted his article was wrong and he took the quote out of context on my twitter feed.
Can you screen shot or give the twitter handle this is under? Id like to see it
MasterAxe
never mind, I found it.

Basically the guy ran with it without reading the story or watching the presser.

Quality journalism.
SDLJ
Yeah, pretty poor. Seems like that has been everyone's route.

Revised article: https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2018/03/16/stephen-f-austin-coach-kyle-keller-millennials?utm_campaign=si-extramustard&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&xid=socialflow_twitter_si
MasterAxe
I'm gonna take about 0% of what he says seriously.
SDLJ
I am going on a retraction bonanza today. Took the day off. I have somewhere to place my post loss wrath.
nacluth
Great job Josh. Stick up for the school.
No-look
Watching Tech beat Florida made me feel good about out team. I know it's about Matchups but we hung with Tech until the 3 minute mark. I was thinking how close could SELA and Nichols play Tech in that kind of atmosphere? We get a couple more players at the right position we will be dangerous.
RedRiverLa
Lumberjack Battalion
RedRiverLa
So maybe it's been touched upon somewhere. But did you see the beat down st Mary's gave SELA? What an embarrassment for the southland. Makes you realize how we were the far superior team of the conference and just had a few recoverable missteps. I actually felt bad for SELA, ok, not really.
Lumberjack Battalion
SFA Jack Fanatic
RedRiverLa said:

So maybe it's been touched upon somewhere. But did you see the beat down st Mary's gave SELA? What an embarrassment for the southland. Makes you realize how we were the far superior team of the conference and just had a few recoverable missteps. I actually felt bad for SELA, ok, not really.
It was cussed and discussed in the Southland & NCAA Forum.
No-look
SFA played Tech a LOT closer than Purdue. Just sayin.
djsfw57
No-look said:

I was thinking the same thing - and we weren't a #2 seed! Watching Zhaire Smith made me wonder what if...
TallTexan
No-look said:

We both got ripped off in that game. Tech got an underseeded 14 seed and we got an underseeded 3 seed.
PurpleOut
Staff

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.