SFA / Lamar Part 2

43,023 Views | 181 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by sfaguy
BigJack85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I believe that the vast majority of us thought 15-3 in conference was a reasonable expectation. That would have put us first or second ... it's not the losses. Lamar in particular doesn't throw me as much as the losses to UCA and SE La. At any rate I think we finish 3rd and are in position to peak during the conference tournament.
Ljacks&Longnecks
CottonValleyJack said:

The Keller apologist herd is thinning.
Nah, Keller guys are still here---we are just learning to let those 2 or 3 posters that hide in the shadows until something goes wrong then suddenly post 12-15 times( or even just once) in a thread spew their piece---cause we know that the next win will quiet them again.

Now I'm not saying that you can't hold your own opinions because of course you can and you can throw them out there anytime you want...however for my money when we only see you post after bad games and losses it somewhat diminishes any reason to give those post much time, concern or credence.
Ljacks&Longnecks
RedRiverLa said:

No-look said:

CottonValleyJack said:

Nah, Keller and team is fine.

Not really. Just not as reactionary as the non-Keller crowd after a loss. We know it takes patience, and understand unrealistic expectations. Now , having said that, I do agree this would seem to be a disappointing season, but the expectations were raised too far when we beat a mediocre LSU and LaTech team. National media who didn't really know our team yet saying we should go 18-0, we just false prophets that some bought in to. I'm asking this as an honest question, but did anyone really feel good about that prediction? We may be athletic, but we don't yet have the maturity of Walkup, Pinckney, Johnson, Geffrard, CJ, or a healthy TY. And I know I misspelled, but I don't feel like fighting spell check right now. And thank you for sharing your opposing view in a civil adult manner. It's what this board is about.
Excellent post! I believe you hit the mark on this season right here.
sfaguy
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

CottonValleyJack said:

Nah, Keller guys are still here---we are just learning to let those 2 or 3 posters that hide in the shadows until something goes wrong then suddenly post 12-15 times( or even just once) in a thread spew their piece---cause we know that the next win will quiet them again.

Now I'm not saying that you can't hold your own opinions because of course you can and you can throw them out there anytime you want...however for my money when we only see you post after bad games and losses it somewhat diminishes any reason to give those post much time, concern or credence.
A much more articulate way of wording what I tried to say earlier. Thank you.
SFAJack_76
RedRiverLa said:

No-look said:

CottonValleyJack said:

Not really. Just not as reactionary as the non-Keller crowd after a loss. We know it takes patience, and understand unrealistic expectations. Now , having said that, I do agree this would seem to be a disappointing season, but the expectations were raised too far when we beat a mediocre LSU and LaTech team. National media who didn't really know our team yet saying we should go 18-0, we just false prophets that some bought in to. I'm asking this as an honest question, but did anyone really feel good about that prediction? We may be athletic, but we don't yet have the maturity of Walkup, Pinckney, Johnson, Geffrard, CJ, or a healthy TY. And I know I misspelled, but I don't feel like fighting spell check right now. And thank you for sharing your opposing view in a civil adult manner. It's what this board is about.
I will go on record as still being supportive of Keller and his staff. I can be as critical as any about what I view to be as underperformance from capability. I do have some level of patience that others do not. I have seen bad basketball at SFA. This is not even close tHow many SLC head coaches have less D1 head coach experience than Keller? I choose to give him time to learn from failures. If we are still having these same issues in perhaps two years, then the picture will be clearer.

Passion is appreciated. Opposing views when supported by facts and opinions are appreciated. I do not appreciate vitriol and personal attacks. I simply chose to not participate in that.
MasterAxe
I'm still not sold on Keller as well, but I want him to prove me wrong. Oh, I would be so happy to be wrong.

I am kinda sad that any person, apparently, who doesn't go to every game or says anything negative is perceived as a "not true fan."

That's kinda been implied here on this thread and it's a sad mis-generalization of a lot of us. Including myself.
CottonValleyJack
No-look said:

CottonValleyJack said:

Oh okay! Good news! The embarrassing, SLC championship hopes crushing home loss had me a little worried.
CottonValleyJack
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

CottonValleyJack said:

This logic is as sound as Keller's Lamar game plan.
CottonValleyJack
MasterAxe said:

I'm still not sold on Keller as well, but I want him to prove me wrong. Oh, I would be so happy to be wrong.

I am kinda sad that any person, apparently, who doesn't go to every game or says anything negative is perceived as a "not true fan."

That's kinda been implied here on this thread and it's a sad mis-generalization of a lot of us. Including myself.
Agreed. If you interrupt the groupthink, prepare to be attacked.

sfaguy
MasterAxe said:

That's not what's being said. There are plenty of people, yourself included, who are critical of coaching staff but are part of the dialog...and that's FINE. What isn't fine, are the handful whose entire existence on this forum can be summed up by mocking vitriol directed at coaching staff whenever things go wrong, but are completely absent from any conversation otherwise.

There is nothing wrong with criticism when that isn't literally the only thing you have to offer. I've had zero objections to anything you've written.
MasterAxe
s***uy said:

MasterAxe said:

That's not what's being said. There are plenty of people, yourself included, who are critical of coaching staff but are part of the dialog...and that's FINE. What isn't fine, are the handful whose entire existence on this forum can be summed up by mocking vitriol directed at coaching staff whenever things go wrong, but are completely absent from any conversation otherwise.

There is nothing wrong with criticism when that isn't literally the only thing you have to offer. I've had zero objections to anything you've written.

I appreciate that. But, I'll stand by my point that there is an underlying tone to several posts that, to me, imply "if you're not always positive and at every game no matter what, you're not a true fan."
CottonValleyJack
s***uy said:

MasterAxe said:

Our mediocre play IS the conversation. I want what's best for SFA, hence why I care about Keller's performance. As I have stated, I'd love nothing more than Keller proving me wrong.
TallTexan
MasterAxe said:

I appreciate that. But, I'll stand by my point that there is an underlying tone to several posts that, to me, imply "if you're not always positive and at every game no matter what, you're not a true fan."
Definitely not talking about those who are here for both wins & losses. We've got a generally very optimistic fanbase, which is unusual for a sports fanbase of any sort.

You get pretty passionate sometimes, but that kind of passion is fine because you want Keller to succeed & are just waiting to see results.That's a fair request, and I hope that this team will be the one to do it.

However, some people just swoop in like seagulls and crap all over everything anytime we lose and then fly off waiting for the next loss. Those are the ones most of us take issue with.

It's fine to be a pessimistic fan, I think all of us are waiting & hoping for a tourney return this year.
PurpleOut
Staff
I'm home, not going to address several of the posts here. The problem is everyone here (good or bad) is basically assuming what is going on with our game plan each night. The coaches know what they're doing, especially the work that guys like Cox and Mason put in with scouting/planning. It's up to the players to execute. Last night A) we didn't make shots. If you don't "buy" that as an excuse, then I don't know what to tell you. They were for the most part all shots we made the last 5 games. If a few more of those wide open shots fall we probably win and this isn't much of a conversation. B) I sat behind the bench and heard the coaches keep reiterating what needed to be done and it wasn't executed. Specifically defense and defending Garth. They all knew he was just a shooter and several times we just gave him too much room. Other times we were right in his face and he still knocked them down. He was on, but we needed to jam him up more.

And then at some point you have to give the other team credit. Lamar had a good game plan and it worked. Augustine and Comeaux were just throwing up bricks and air balls and unfortunately nobody else could step up and make anything. Canete, I just don't know...don't like his attitude and body language. Does a lot of talking and sulking while the ball is still live.

But moving on, very disappointed but trying to move on to ACU. There's one other thing that I want to speak on, and most of you probably saw my tweets during/after the game. Someone posted earlier about getting chants going and whatnot...last night was one of the most frustrating and deflating experiences I've ever had at any sporting event. Early in the second half when we started to get some momentum, the fans behind where I was sitting where yelling "DOWN IN FRONT." It was literally just me and Coach Kellers wife standing and clapping trying to get some energy going. When I first got into the arena I noticed that 90% of the student section was full of non-students. The PHA group that COULD actually sit in the section (basically the first two rows) were fantastic. But in the rows just behind them were the same random older fans just sitting and being quiet. Very discouraging to those students and does nothing to help our problem of our students that don't sit in that section. I hate the Cram The Coliseum games. I understand they are just happy with the end result of how many people they get in the building, but it sucks when it's that unorganized.

This game honestly somewhat broke me. I've been working on SFA support ever since I graduated in 2006, putting a ton of time and effort to help fix things and promote our program and overall athletic department. But from the beginning of this event with them basically refusing to let me try to do something really cool for fans, and then to come back for a game (first since 2015) and see how our fans still act and how the game was handled....just killed me. I'm still somewhat at a loss and very deflated. Still 100% in and behind this program, but probably going to take a step back from what I've been doing over the years in trying to help. We don't have an athletic department or student base that cares or even wants to listen to what anyone says.
No-look
PurpleOut said:

MI'm home, not going to address several of the posts here. The problem is everyone here (good or bad) is basically assuming what is going on with our game plan each night. The coaches know what they're doing, especially the work that guys like Cox and Mason put in with scouting/planning. It's up to the players to execute. Last night A) we didn't make shots. If you don't "buy" that as an excuse, then I don't know what to tell you. They were for the most part all shots we made the last 5 games. If a few more of those wide open shots fall we probably win and this isn't much of a conversation. B) I sat behind the bench and heard the coaches keep reiterating what needed to be done and it wasn't executed. Specifically defense and defending Garth. They all knew he was just a shooter and several times we just gave him too much room. Other times we were right in his face and he still knocked them down. He was on, but we needed to jam him up more.

And then at some point you have to give the other team credit. Lamar had a good game plan and it worked. Augustine and Comeaux were just throwing up bricks and air balls and unfortunately nobody else could step up and make anything. Canete, I just don't know...don't like his attitude and body language. Does a lot of talking and sulking while the ball is still live.

But moving on, very disappointed but trying to move on to ACU. There's one other thing that I want to speak on, and most of you probably saw my tweets during/after the game. Someone posted earlier about getting chants going and whatnot...last night was one of the most frustrating and deflating experiences I've ever had at any sporting event. Early in the second half when we started to get some momentum, the fans behind where I was sitting where yelling "DOWN IN FRONT." It was literally just me and Coach Kellers wife standing and clapping trying to get some energy going. When I first got into the arena I noticed that 90% of the student section was full of non-students. The PHA group that COULD actually sit in the section (basically the first two rows) were fantastic. But in the rows just behind them were the same random older fans just sitting and being quiet. Very discouraging to those students and does nothing to help our problem of our students that don't sit in that section. I hate the Cram The Coliseum games. I understand they are just happy with the end result of how many people they get in the building, but it sucks when it's that unorganized.

This game honestly somewhat broke me. I've been working on SFA support ever since I graduated in 2006, putting a ton of time and effort to help fix things and promote our program and overall athletic department. But from the beginning of this event with them basically refusing to let me try to do something really cool for fans, and then to come back for a game (first since 2015) and see how our fans still act and how the game was handled....just killed me. I'm still somewhat at a loss and very deflated. Still 100% in and behind this program, but probably going to take a step back from what I've been doing over the years in trying to help. We don't have an athletic department or student base that cares or even wants to listen to what anyone says.
I also wish that more students would get involved. I'm one of those old guys that's there every game possible. Just remember you will be one of us in a few years. Lol. But having 6000 fans at a Southland game is very rare where most struggle to get 600 says a lot. The basketball program is alive and healthy in Nac.
PurpleOut
Staff
I'll be one of the old fans too, but I'm not going to yell at other people and discourage other fans from trying to create a better atmosphere.
RedRiverLa
No-look said:

PurpleOut said:

MI'm home, not going to address several of the posts here. The problem is everyone here (good or bad) is basically assuming what is going on with our game plan each night. The coaches know what they're doing, especially the work that guys like Cox and Mason put in with scouting/planning. It's up to the players to execute. Last night A) we didn't make shots. If you don't "buy" that as an excuse, then I don't know what to tell you. They were for the most part all shots we made the last 5 games. If a few more of those wide open shots fall we probably win and this isn't much of a conversation. B) I sat behind the bench and heard the coaches keep reiterating what needed to be done and it wasn't executed. Specifically defense and defending Garth. They all knew he was just a shooter and several times we just gave him too much room. Other times we were right in his face and he still knocked them down. He was on, but we needed to jam him up more.

I also wish that more students would get involved. I'm one of those old guys that's there every game possible. Just remember you will be one of us in a few years. Lol. But having 6000 fans at a Southland game is very rare where most struggle to get 600 says a lot. The basketball program is alive and healthy in Nac.
So just yell back, "Up In Back". hate to say it, but that happens at most sporting events. I'm in section 107, and I'm 54 - and I'm the young one. At the NWST game, I was the only one up and waving my towel after every good play or timeout needed by the opponent. I'm respectful, don't curse, but I'm going to yell for my team and luckily, at my age, I don't care what the quiet fans think. So, kudos to you, stand up and yell even if you're the only one, and don't let the others bother you. I kind of feel sorry that they've forgotten what it's like to have fun. I'm sure outside of the gym their favorite phrase is 'get off my lawn".
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
PurpleOut
Staff
I had a few words back to them, and tried the rest of the game to try to get the crowd into it. It's just amazing that in close games we have people leaving (I'd say 30% of the crowd left with a few minutes left in the game). I don't think everyone stood up until the last 2-3 possessions.

That point where the momentum was turning, could have had a huge crowd factor if we had a fan base that understood. A dead silent arena makes it much easier to turn the tide.
nacluth
RedRiverLa loaned me his season tickets for this game, so my daughter and I sat in his seats. It was actually so loud, mainly from the ladies right behind us yelling, that my daughter asked if we could move to our regular seats...which we did at halftime. It is true that Matt was about the only one in his section standing and cheering. It felt very casual for a near "sellout."

Maybe it's because they give away tickets to that game that the average attendee isn't as much a fan, but I felt like the fan experience at the equally packed Purple Out game was much superior. Maybe it's because you had to buy tickets at that one. Three minutes left on Saturday down by 5 people were streaming out. It was the largest mass exodus of an undecided game I have ever seen.

Of course, it was kind of a true basketball fan's game - no fast breaks, no big dunks, just gritty, grinding wrestling over who's going to stay in control. And, it was mainly Lamar. Not the prettiest show for the random community member. All in all wasn't the best on or off the court.

However, Matt I was just looking through your "this season is a success if..." post, and it was hoping for an improved fan experience. I just want to say that absolutely that the fans (mainly PHA) have done better this year than in many years. Some nights the place has been near electric. Nothing has quite rivaled the Parker dunk, but it's been night in and out better than the last couple- if maybe ever that I can remember. Still more work, but, I would call it a success. Sorry you had to see it at a low fan experience point.
INiedrauer
Staff
Yeah, I'll echo what nacluth said...Saturday was absolutely one of the most dead crowds since conference play started. Which is sad, but the Cram the Coliseum crowd just isn't the same crowd. There have been 3000 people at games that were twice as loud and into the game as the 7000 or so this weekend.

The Sam Houston crowd was incredible. Most electric I've seen that building ever (other than the last 10 seconds of the Jacob Parker dunk game). Saturday....not so much. It is what it is. Give away free tickets and you get locals looking for free entertainment, not basketball fans.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

PurpleOut
Staff
Yeah I assumed that, and that's why I mentioned how much I dislike the Cram the games.

If I was a casual student and was at the game Saturday, I would assume there wasn't a student section. If they're going to continue Cram games, they need to think about redoing a lot of how it's handled.
MasterAxe
INiedrauer said:

Yeah, I'll echo what nacluth said...Saturday was absolutely one of the most dead crowds since conference play started. Which is sad, but the Cram the Coliseum crowd just isn't the same crowd. There have been 3000 people at games that were twice as loud and into the game as the 7000 or so this weekend.

The Sam Houston crowd was incredible. Most electric I've seen that building ever (other than the last 10 seconds of the Jacob Parker dunk game). Saturday....not so much. It is what it is. Give away free tickets and you get locals looking for free entertainment, not basketball fans.
I agree with what you are saying...but, the product on the court also has to inspire. If the crowd is dead, yes, they can self-motivate to get "un-dead," but the team on the court can add to the fire as well.

The Sam game was electric because, from the start, the team came out like a ball of fury...it fed the crowd. I know it often times is supposed to work the other way, but when Lamar did the punching and our team didnt punch back, it deflated the entire crowd.

If, like you say, the crowd is there for "entertainment," then you better entertain them, or your going to lose them.

Should not be that way, but that's the way it is.

You can't Beg for fans to show up, then give a bad performance. Boom. Lose fans.

I don't like it, but that's the way it was on Saturday.
INiedrauer
Staff
I hear what you're saying and I mostly agree. There's more to the difference between this one and the Sam game tho. Even by player intros you could tell it just wasn't going to be the same.

I like that the Cram game happens, just glad it's only once per year. It does create some new fans. A couple years ago it was the only time that building would ever come close to full. To me, that we're complaining about it now shows some progress has been made.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

PurpleOut
Staff
INiedrauer said:

I hear what you're saying and I mostly agree. There's more to the difference between this one and the Sam game tho. Even by player intros you could tell it just wasn't going to be the same.

I like that the Cram game happens, just glad it's only once per year. It does create some new fans. A couple years ago it was the only time that building would ever come close to full. To me, that we're complaining about it now shows some progress has been made.
Maybe it was just this weekend, because I've been to most of the other Cram games except the last two years. Even with a higher attendance number this weekend, it seemed dead.

If you want to put some of the blame on the team, that's fair. But it should also be the other way around. The team feeds on the crowd. Which is exactly the problem here. That second half was EXACTLY the time that the crowd needed to get into the game, but it was the complete opposite.

sfa17
If you want to put some of the blame on the team, that's fair.

"If" come on.

The crowd should be the last person on the "who we need to blame list"

The fans have carried this team plenty of times before and I witnessed those games First hand. But
You have to give them something to cheer about.
PurpleOut
Staff
sfa17 said:

If you want to put some of the blame on the team, that's fair.

"If" come on.

The crowd should be the last person on the "who we need to blame list"

The fans have carried this team plenty of times before and I witnessed those games First hand. But
You have to give them something to cheer about.
Sorry, but that sucks. I get it that it's harder to be excited when you are losing, but this is the mentality of our fan base that I hate. The crowd that only shows up against Sam Houston. The crowd that doesn't know when to actually make noise and when not to. And now, the crowd that makes it about themselves. This program brings our fans a win pretty much EVERY. SINGLE. NIGHT. But you need more to cheer about?

I'm done with this topic. And I'm actually done on this board for a while, have fun guys.
TallTexan
Purple Out, I can understand the disappointment of a bad crowd & the university seemingly focusing only on numbers,not environment. But definitely don't underestimate the difference that you & Isaac & others have on the overall fan community, even if we only see incremental improvements for the time being.

Sawmill has the most enthusiastic fans out there, if we don't fight for improvements, nobody will. I would highly encourage anyone who attended the game & thought the environment was lacking to email the Athletic Department & let them know, along with any suggestions to improve it. If they hear from enough disgruntled fans & alums, hopefully someone in the department will take some initiative.

Maybe, just maybe, we should do cram the coliseum early in the season so that those who don't normally attend might get hooked and actually attend a few more games in a given year, instead of the second to last weekend of the season.
RedRiverLa
nacluth said:

RedRiverLa loaned me his season tickets for this game, so my daughter and I sat in his seats. It was actually so loud, mainly from the ladies right behind us yelling, that my daughter asked if we could move to our regular seats...which we did at halftime. It is true that Matt was about the only one in his section standing and cheering. It felt very casual for a near "sellout."

Maybe it's because they give away tickets to that game that the average attendee isn't as much a fan, but I felt like the fan experience at the equally packed Purple Out game was much superior. Maybe it's because you had to buy tickets at that one. Three minutes left on Saturday down by 5 people were streaming out. It was the largest mass exodus of an undecided game I have ever seen.

Of course, it was kind of a true basketball fan's game - no fast breaks, no big dunks, just gritty, grinding wrestling over who's going to stay in control. And, it was mainly Lamar. Not the prettiest show for the random community member. All in all wasn't the best on or off the court.

However, Matt I was just looking through your "this season is a success if..." post, and it was hoping for an improved fan experience. I just want to say that absolutely that the fans (mainly PHA) have done better this year than in many years. Some nights the place has been near electric. Nothing has quite rivaled the Parker dunk, but it's been night in and out better than the last couple- if maybe ever that I can remember. Still more work, but, I would call it a success. Sorry you had to see it at a low fan experience point.
so it was loud during the boys game, too? The ladies behind us are there for the girls game and they are cheering loud at everything that happens. Even to the point of every shot they yell, "Whoosh" - I don't have the heart to tell them it's "Swish" If it was for the boys game, the seats directly behind us are not season tickets, they are open seats, so it must have been a new crowd in ole' 107
Lumberjack Battalion
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

Maybe, just maybe, we should do cram the coliseum early in the season so that those who don't normally attend might get hooked and actually attend a few more games in a given year, instead of the second to last weekend of the season.
I had the same thought. A Saturday early in the conference season so it is a meaningful game. Go all in to have a good fan experience hopefully to excite more to come back on their own dime.
SFAJack_76
If

by Rudyard Kipling

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dreamand not make dreams your master;
If you can thinkand not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: 'Hold on!'

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kingsnor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
Andwhich is moreyou'll be a Man, my son!

Borrowed from a thread on a different college forum that was in meltdown. Seemed fitting for some reason.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Don't be discouraged, Purple. Like me, you dream of seeing the inside of WRJ look like Cameron Indoor or Allen Fieldhouse during games. That may not happen in the near term, but let's all keep trying to make it happen over the long term.

And I know you won't be gone from here for long. Like most of us contributing here, it's obvious that you love SFA athletics too much for that to happen.
rgrooms24
I understand Purple Out's frustration and I agree that the Cram the Coliseum promotion did not help. I was at the game Saturday and was equally as frustrated. I sat in the reserved section closest to the Lamar crowd. I felt like their crowd was more into the game than we were at times. When we got it the lead to two, we should have been louder, instead it seemed like we were reacting instead of trying to influence the game Again, I think the cram the coliseum mix of fans was the primary cause. The best comparison I can make is the Longwood ESPN marathon game last year which I also attended.

Driving home, I went through the normal roller coaster of scenarios and assessment of our team. I think the one thing that is hard for me to realize/grasp is that the other Southland programs are improving. They see our success and realize that they can do the same thing. They use our success to recruit better players. They don't have the attendance numbers but they are getting better.

All that said, I think we have the talent and coaching that is capable of winning 3 games in Katy. I am really hoping we can win both games this week to potentially avoid Lamar's side of the bracket. Part of me is excited about the chance to be a 15-16 seed and really shock the world. Life is short, God healed my wife's breast cancer this year. I am not going to let our point guard's field goal percentage affect my love for the Jacks. We have enough "wait to see if they make the dance" fans. Let's not be like them. We have a coach who cares about our players and know how to make them better. He treats our fans, the media and our players with more respect than they deserve. Sometimes it just doesn't happen the way we plan. I am pretty sure the same thing happens in each of our jobs each day but the world doesn't see it and get to comment about it.

Also wanted to thank PurpleOut and Isaac for another great year of coverage/insight. I am not always able to watch the games online and their twitter updates and commentary are really appreciated.
RedRiverLa
"Life is short, God healed my wife's breast cancer this year. I am not going to let our point guard's field goal percentage affect my love for the Jacks. We have enough "wait to see if they make the dance" fans. Let's not be like them. We have a coach who cares about our players and know how to make them better. He treats our fans, the media and our players with more respect than they deserve. Sometimes it just doesn't happen the way we plan. "

Same for my wife, too! This post just about nails it for me. I'm looking forward to being there Wednesday night, cheering them on - if I'm the only one up yelling and fist pumping in my section, so be it. My dad and I are driving from Shreveport to come enjoy the environs, have some BBQ and throw-up some axes (probably shouldn't have used the word throw-up one conjunction away from the word BBQ). I will wear too much purple and stay until the alma mater is sung, I don't care how late it makes the drive back. I hope we win, but if not and we lay another disappointing egg and we leave 23-7, oh well, I won't need a chill pill to get over it. And, I'll probably be a little sad that I will have to wait until late fall of this year to experience these environs again. AxeEm Jacks!
Lumberjack Battalion
nacluth
Thanks guys for the last couple of posts. Maybe I've been a Mavericks and Rangers fan for too long, but I've been thinking that we've been living the halcyon days of SFA basketball the last 6 to 8 years. I remember the shock of actually winning the SLC tournament and knowing we would get killed by Syracuse. Then a couple years later, I believed we would beat reigning NIT champions Stanford (we nearly did). Now, I'm grateful that we have a program that can keep reaching higher heights (SEC wins anyone?), and I'm grateful for this community of fans to share it with. These are the good days. Let's enjoy them.
SFA Jack Fanatic
rgrooms24 said:

I understand Purple Out's frustration and I agree that the Cram the Coliseum promotion did not help. I was at the game Saturday and was equally as frustrated. I sat in the reserved section closest to the Lamar crowd. I felt like their crowd was more into the game than we were at times. When we got it the lead to two, we should have been louder, instead it seemed like we were reacting instead of trying to influence the game Again, I think the cram the coliseum mix of fans was the primary cause. The best comparison I can make is the Longwood ESPN marathon game last year which I also attended.

Driving home, I went through the normal roller coaster of scenarios and assessment of our team. I think the one thing that is hard for me to realize/grasp is that the other Southland programs are improving. They see our success and realize that they can do the same thing. They use our success to recruit better players. They don't have the attendance numbers but they are getting better.

All that said, I think we have the talent and coaching that is capable of winning 3 games in Katy. I am really hoping we can win both games this week to potentially avoid Lamar's side of the bracket. Part of me is excited about the chance to be a 15-16 seed and really shock the world. Life is short, God healed my wife's breast cancer this year. I am not going to let our point guard's field goal percentage affect my love for the Jacks. We have enough "wait to see if they make the dance" fans. Let's not be like them. We have a coach who cares about our players and know how to make them better. He treats our fans, the media and our players with more respect than they deserve. Sometimes it just doesn't happen the way we plan. I am pretty sure the same thing happens in each of our jobs each day but the world doesn't see it and get to comment about it.

Also wanted to thank PurpleOut and Isaac for another great year of coverage/insight. I am not always able to watch the games online and their twitter updates and commentary are really appreciated.
Not sure if this will make "Post of the Day" in The Sawmill's calculations, but it already did in my book!! Thanks for putting things in proper perspective!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.